Options

Neotoma Presents: The Last Gloss Standing

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    hey Speed, is Albatross still missing his visor?

yeah all your equipment is still stripped

he seems pretty amenable though, maybe yo ucan talk him into gettin' it back?????????

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hey, if any of you guys really liked my music choices for Resonance, I figured I'd let you know that Glitch Mob has a new album out: "Love Death Immortality."

It's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6nyIPRRuH4

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

he seems pretty amenable though, maybe yo ucan talk him into gettin' it back?????????

I've always enjoyed scenarios depriving players of equipment

especially when they go the extra mile and make everyone NAKED

a barbarian charging with a war axe is one thing

a naked berserker swinging a chair is a whole 'nother

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

You're just saying that because you like imagining our characters naked.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Naked_Raiden_1(1).jpg

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I don't know what your characters are, so I'll instead picture the entire RADlands cast in the buff

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    eyeing up Raarglebaargle's bargle

dusty biting the backside of their vocalizer

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I don't know what your characters are, so I'll instead picture the entire RADlands cast in the buff

Alternatively...
    Rachel.png

Christina1.png

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Eden del Bosque Blade Jaguar (Swords +1) (Stealth +1)

Jaguar (who advocated to leave Mosquito and Buffalo restrained, because she's not crazy) rests her hand on the hilt of her katana.

"It's true. You have no way of knowing that we're not simply tricking you into help us succeed at our original mission," she says. "And there's no way for us to prove that we're truly cooperating with you. However, one thing is certain: you are alive because you are currently useful. If I were you, I would continue being useful."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Goddamn, Kro. Sorry to hear that. Condolences, man.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Caulk.

Chase Maverick Breaker Eagle (Recon +1) (Break +1)
    "Yup, I guess we're all just gonna have to see what happens. Who knows how it'll turn out, man." Chase stabs his arm into the wall and begins cutting a doorway into it. "Who knows."

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So I'm in a rock wall competition today

I had trouble opening a door earlier

I am not looking forward to tomorrow

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Heathwatch update: possible false alarm!

Chest X-ray came out normal, still waiting on bloodwork, but my mom and I have come to the conclusion that my original hypothesis was correct: I been too dang sedentary, these past few weeks, and it finally caught up with me.

Started taking walks and it appears as though my health is improving. So yay, barring catastrophic news via bloodwork, I'm generally okay!

Still glad I took the weekend off, anyway. It's been nice to just not have to worry about work more than half of each day.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I am disappointed in your performance on the exam. You should have studied harder. I expect to see better performance next time.

<netEpsilon.InfiltrationTeam>{

Chase's arm goes numb as he jams it into the wall, and a second later, his vision is filled with burning, blinding white. He collapses to the ground, convulsing.

"The EMP field is alligned with the wall, dumbass," Tarantula derides. She looks at Jaguar. "You're damn right we're useful to you. There are 30 cybernetically dudes with guns behind this wall. Without us, they're gonna saw you in half with their rifles on-sight. Any illusion you have that you're in control of this situation is completely unfounded, so I'd adjust your attitude, rookie.

"Cut my partners loose, and toss us some weapons to defend ourselves if you got batshit on us. Then I'll drop the field and open the gate, and we can all be best friends forever."

Your communications suddenly flare to life. It's Kangaroo. "Agents! It is my understanding that you've encountered and neutralized a group of rogue former TIGERSHARKS. To confirm: all three of them are now dead, yes?"

In your peripheral vision, you see Jennifer in her lounge, nodding desperately.
    };

<netEpsilon.DistractionTeam>{

Mayfield talks as he ascends the ladder. "The outside world has, unfortunately, become an unsuitable environment for the average person. Radiation poisoning, toxic soil, water and air, roving bands of murderers and drug dealers, and the infrastructure that much of the world had come to rely upon has been obliterated."

The ladder leads up into a narrow shaft, which ultimately opens up into a small concrete room. "Unfortunately, agriculture, environmental science, civil engineering... not things i know much about!" He leads you out of the room, into the open air. Sparks of electricity occasionally arc overhead. "People think of cybernetics as just fancy prosthetics, but the bulk of the work all happens up here," he says, tapping his temple. "My research revolved around analyzing brain activity, and learning how to interpret electric neurological impulses into mechanical commands. Nanotechnology is, in many respects, is just my inventions without the physical prosthesis aspect. I would even argue that it's illegally similar, but the courts apparently didn't agree. Anyway." The complex is fairly bare-bones. A large, square shaped wall encompasses the area, with a communications tower located at one corner. Several small buildings litter the square, and soldiers loaded up with equipment are moving about. "Short of being able to actually help these people, I've used nanotechnology to sort of... fake it, let's say."

"The short version, gentlemen, is that I'm tired of running this little training exercise and killing the trainees that aren't up to snuff. Oh, right, incidentally, this mission is just a training exercise, and if I were doing my job right, you'd all be dead. Important detail I omitted, that. The United States has taken one big dump on the rest of the world, and we've all had our fun playing in the mess we made, but it's time we take some responsibility and start rebuilding. Unfortunately, many disagree, and many of those that do are violent. Someone wanting to start fixing problems is going to need some muscle. And that's where, hopefully, you lot come in."

He's led you to a shed, and with a somewhat over dramatic gesture, he pops the padlock off the door and swings it open. Inside is your stolen equipment.
    };

• Options
    So I'm in a rock wall competition today

I had trouble opening a door earlier

I am not looking forward to tomorrow

I placed third!

I wish I took pictures because there was a 8 year old girl climbing at my level

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, EMPs affect brain-powers?

• Options
    your nanites are circulating through your body

the EMP field shorted out the nanites in your arm, and created a blast of feedback to the nanites in your brain that were communicating with them, giving you a minor seizure.

• Options
    Ahh.

"Sure," Chase groans, rising. "Super dead. Crazy dead. You should see one of 'em, man. Like, half his face just gone. So gross."

He pops his collar and sends a breaker wave through himself, shattering his nanites... then shoves his hand in the wall again.

• Options
    Biggest post ever wooooooo totally worth a two week wait

"I think you folks may on the wrong track here. Owen is the only bastard that can make a good whiskey out here. . Anyone who holds a grudge against Owen is either an idiot or has a dedicated love for turpentine. No, Owen isn't the only victim here. This harvest would have supplied the whole damned valley. The only reason Owen is gonna be involved in any of this is because whoever aimed the Spits realized they would love good booze just as much as we do."

Should I start dropping hints

I feel like I should start dropping hints

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Ahh.

"Sure," Chase groans, rising. "Super dead. Crazy dead. You should see one of 'em, man. Like, half his face just gone. So gross."

He pops his collar and sends a breaker wave through himself, shattering his nanites... then shoves his hand in the wall again.

Are you sure you want to do that?

• Options
    God I really need to post in Metal Cog

But life is so busy right now

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Speed, tell me about nanites.

• Options
    Spoiler for those who don't want the hint
    Most stores keep track of all their transactions

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Speed, tell me about nanites.

Nanites, also known as nanobots or nanomachines, are microscopic robots that act as "artificial cells." They can be programmed to act in synchronization with one another to complete complex tasks, and depending on how they're programmed and equipped, are capable of performing a multitude of tasks.

The ones that have been injected into your bloodstream perform the following tasks:

-They contain a connection to an LTE network, allowing internet access and long-range communication
    -They override and take the place of your central nervous system, providing a more efficient mind-body connection and allowing for superior reflexes and reaction time. Additionally, they produce small quantities of stimulants, anti-anxiety drugs, and painkillers, allowing you to remain focused on a task even in the face of intense emotional or physical durress.
    -Any time you are idle, they are stimulating your muscles to promote growth, allowing you to maintain a fit physique without exercise
    -They can assist with various mental tasks, such as math and memory. Counting bullets in a major gunfight would be a challenging task for a non-augmented person, but with nanites the task is trivial.
    -The allow access to the AR lounge, and communication with mission command.
    -They provide important data to the user, such as maps, infrared and ultraviolet readings of the environment, and more

In general, they offer a multitude of advantages and perks that add up to giving a significant combat edge. If you're willing to give that edge up then it's probably safe to ditch them.

probably.

you know.

apparently.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Okay, just making sure destroying them wouldn't fry Chase's brain or anything.

Punch it.

• Options
    Well, okay then...

• Options
    edited March 2014
    This behavior is unacceptable. It is very important that you attend lessons every day. I am pinning this note to your jacket for your guardians to call me when you get home. If I don't receive a phone call you will be in very big trouble tomorrow.

<netEpsilon.InfiltrationTeam>{

Breaker Eagle concentrates hard on the foreign entity circulating through his body. On paper, the nanites are an extremely useful tool, enhancing every skill a soldier has. But so far on this mission they've been nothing but trouble. The malfunctions on landing, the intrusive error messages, the distracting messages from command. Not to mention the out-and-out hacking that the other team's been putting up with unbeknownst to Chase.

"Breaker, what the hell are you doing?!" Kangaroo's voice echoes in your ears. "Why is your connection fading?!"

This wall should be a total non-isuse, and yet it's become a completely impassable roadblock. Which is to say... it's a roadblock that's completely passable if you just show a modicum of civility and respect to a potential comrade who has so far been nothing but amenable and only attacked you in self defense. Or just sort of threaten and bully them around a bit like Blade Jaguar's trying to do. But who the shit has time for that? Not Breaker Eagle, All-American Hero.

"STOP!" Chase feels a sudden shock through his system and his muscles tense up, but it's too late. The breaker field's already been established. He feels the tiny specks of metal slip through his veins, through his skin, and he feels them pop like those tiny little bang-snap firecrackers that kids play with on the 4th of July (not that Chase would know about that).

And then, he doesn't feel anything. The others watch as Breaker Eagle collapses to the ground, eyes rolled back in his head.

netEpsilon.Node(BreakerEagle) has initiated self-destructive neurological activity in nodeCarrier[4];

>emerg save_

Commencing emergency upload of netEpsilon.Node(BreakerEagle) to GN;

<netEpsilon.BreakerEagle>{

Blink.

Chase is in the lounge. Jennifer is sitting in front of him, her face unable to settle on a single expression.

"W-... well. This is... awkward."

};

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    9BdhPJ5.png?2?9488

Guys give me a sig for this

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Turns out that whenever Speed is running a game, DE?AD decides to try to out-Speed-Racer Speed Racer.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Why would Tarantula's crew just disable the networking capabilities of their nanites, instead of getting them removed outright?

because they wanted the combat edge?

because mayfield wanted to be able to flip the seizure switch whenever he wanted to?

or because they needed them?

• Options
    (the answer is because they needed them)

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    That is neither a bird nor a gun

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Called it.

Chase Maverick Breaker Eagle (Recon +1) (Break +1)
    Chase calmly crosses his arms, and nods his head toward Jennifer. "Explain."

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    That is neither a bird nor a gun
    It is also insanely hard to get to the right size

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Watcher Albatross (Panoptic Visor)+2

Albatross quickly retrieves his visor and locks it in place over his eyes. After a brief diagnostic, he turns to Mayfield.

"If you expect me to be useful to you, I trust that you can guarantee my continued access to the surveillance network, or to an equivalent one."

• Options
    Bergandier (Held: 2) (Security Forces -2) (Yetis -3)
    Davith fres blindly into the darkness-1, his freezer blasts cascade across the room. They hit nothing, but throw enough light to let the security force, the yeti's, and the thing crawling out of the Frost Core know exactly where he is.

A Van and a Robot
    DOUG connects to the Van, but there's just not enough space in that thing's brain for him. He does have access to all of its systems, though.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    You do not get to play at recess today. You do not get to because you have misbehaved. Instead you have to stay in the classroom with me while the other children play outside, and think about what you've done and how you should behave in the future if you want to go to recess.

<netEpsilon.BreakerEagle>{

"Well, I--mm." Jennifer scratches the back of her head, avoiding eye contact. "You know how... you thought I might be an AI? It's sort of like that but... in reverse. Sort of.

"I mean AI really isn't the right word for it!" she quickly ammends. "You're not just a computer program. You're a real, human consciousness... being simulated by a computer program. Er... sort of. The hardware the simulation runs on isn't compatible with conventional processors. You're not comprised of bitwise operations. Your program is executed by a network of artificial neurons, the kind that's used to treat brain injuries, or... the kind that are found in nanites. The node carrier, um... that is to say... your body, well, 'your' body... was sort of just a shell. 'You' are... were, the network of nanites. Thaaaat you just blew up. I uploaded your consciousness back to our server before the data was lo--...eh, that is to say, before you 'died.' Kangaroo probably won't be very happy if he finds out, which is why I'm just using text-to-voice to speak with you, so he doesn't realize that you're still, uh, 'alive.'" Now that she mentions it, her voice is a little stiffer than normal.

"As far as the others are concerned, you just sort of dropped dead. We're... kind of in a bit of a jam right now. There's been so many uncontrolled variables in this trial that we should really just terminate the experiment and get to work on trial Zeta. But you guys are, honestly, doing pretty well even with all these unintended curveballs. Other than the fact that you just basically killed yourself, but honestly that one's on us. You displayed a greater degree of lateral thinking and problem solving than our experiment had predicted, and your unconventional solution butted up against the experimental parameters. That's why I... 'saved' you. You dying wasn't really 'fair.'

"Of course, now I have no idea what I'm going to do with you."
    };

<netEpsilon.DistractionTeam>{

"Son, I've disarmed you purely to ensure my own safety and the safety of my men. As long as I can rest reasonably assured that you're trustworthy, you'll have all the leeway and access you want."
    };

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    of all the plot twists i have in mind this was supposed to be the last one to be revealed

so way to fuck everything up DE?AD! Way to fuck

everything

up
    <3

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Not perfect for now but what the hell:
    PCs2.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Chase Maverick Breaker Eagle (Recon +1) (Break +1) (Held: 0)
    "Okay, I'm a computer program. Sort of. Basically. Would've been nice to know before I broke them, but whatever. Doesn't super matter, 'cause I'm still me, which means I'm still fucking rad." He leaps up out of his chair and fires a finger-gun into the air. "So, what we're going to do is use the nanites you that you can still control to build some assemble some new field equipment. Specifically, a body, flight suit, and sunglasses. Those are important. Then you'll drop me into it and we can continue on with the mission."

He taps a finger against the wall. "Oh, and I'm pretty pissed right now. I mean, I'm not showing it, 'cause, whatever. Not helpful. Just letting you know. Don't like being jerked around, and I'm probably gonna take that out on someone responsible.

"For now, though, get me a body."

Meanwhile, Chase's meat tries to wake back up. It's been being Chase for a while, and it's learned a few things. First Thing: Defeat is for Losers.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Eden del Bosque Blade Jaguar (Swords +1) (Stealth +1)

"Oh for fuck's sake!" Jaguar exclaims as she kneels down to do a quick scan of Breaker's body with her nanites. It's worse than she suspected. He's not just unconscious from the shock of having all nanite dependence suddenly interrupted. "He's dead."

Remembering that Kangaroo is still on the line, she adds, "The rogue agents are dead, sir. They put up a good fight and even broke one of my swords, but we had numbers and surprise on our side. Unfortunately, Chase seems to have killed himself trying to be clever."

She looks at the door where the EMP field starts and frowns.

Then, she signs four words to Tarantula: I. Free. Your. Friends.

IKknkhU.gif