As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hearth[chat] : Hit it very hard!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Man, the rage around ME3's ending still persists?

Fuck, it wasn't that bad. It was LESS than the whole of the series, sure... but I would still rate the whole trilogy, ending included, as one of the best game series of the last generation of games.
    I only finished it last week. I'm allowed to bitch a bit.

(It wasn't as bad as I expected)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Cinders wrote: »
    Does anyone really think Frozen is especially gay if they weren't already queer?

i noticed 0 gayness

where was the gayness?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    It's simple. If you got all the assets, if you did everything right, if you forged every alliance, you should have gotten the Independence Day fuck all baddies ending.

Period. That should have been an option.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I've never hung out with a group of people who shit-talk how bad the ending of something they loved was outside of these forums.

My friends who watched BSG with me? We loved the series, including the ending.

LOST? Same thing.

Mass Effect? True Detective...

In fact, the stuff that seems to get enshrined are the things that are not allowed to be finished (see: Firefly, or Dr. who going in the opposite direction)

Ending something seems to be the cardinal sin.

I can say I have met people in real life who complain exactly like the boards and this folks aren't "nerds" as we would describe them.

Hell just go with my folks.

BSG, we all agree the last 30 minutes was dumb. But until that point we are fine with the ending. The last part just made little sense.

I liked the end of True Detective and LOST. So did most people I know who watched it.

It is not ending something that is the sin it is ending something by jumping the shark which is the sin.

BSG did that. People feel ME did that as it removed the agency and purpose of 90% of the series at the end. These are legitimate complaints. Writing an ending is hard. A good conclusion be it to a novel, a show or a movie is difficult especially with the amount of variables in a game like ME. But if you do it right you are consider a golden god, if you do it wrong it can mess up an entire series and if it is just mediocre no one really cares.

They actually had an ending, because ME3 had a whole pile of writers

Casey Hudson personally overruled all of them and went with his Matrix-esque napkin notes though

Same for the first section of the game and the dream sequences with the child that Shepard for reasons unknown gives so many shits about

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    the best thing about the me3 ending was that everything you did over 120+ hours of games and 5 years did not matter

not one shred of anything you had done with your character that you had finely sculpted to be your narrative mattered one single bit

god that was awesome

bravo

bra-fucking-vo

I love that Fallout New Vegas managed to incorporate all your assets for the final battle, every alliance you'd made pays off and you actually see all of them show up and help you

apparently that was too tall an order for a tiny studio like Bioware

i don't get this complaint

not all stories require EVERY CHARACTER and EVERY STORY THREAD to be referenced in the very last scene

there were like, three or four ways that ME3 wrapped up, with references to a few minor variations depending on some major plot points. if you include the whole closing sequence, there are more significant variations.

most games and all movies/ books there is one way they wrap up

i don't know. i just don't get the grousing about the ending.

i guess maybe just a case of fkn nerds?

Your war assets don't show up to help in a game where accumulating war assets is basically your entire objective the whole game and even tracked on a little meter

The game's primary objective, the thing that is so important it's the central indicator of your progress, is meaningless

but they do show up in the ending sequences. sure, it's mostly the equivalent of, like, admiral ackbar having a few lines at the end of star wars but what did you want? i am p sure that the ground forces you have with you in that last stage vary to some degree depending on whether, like, you preserved the krogans.

honestly i don't know exactly what you want and that i guess is whatever but what i can't seem to get my head around is that you feel entitled to a particular sort of ending

i mean development resources are going to be relatively scarce. they might be able to put in a little call-out to some decision you made in the game you imported from ME1 but they just don't have the resources to give you a completely different endgame experience based on it.

i mean they let you finish the game successfully even if you got an intermediate "bad ending" but that seems to me to be okay.

Starchild was the laziest Deus ex machina I've ever seen in a game.

Should've made the ending like the Suicide Mission from ME2.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    edit: fuck it

override367 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2014
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I've never hung out with a group of people who shit-talk how bad the ending of something they loved was outside of these forums.

LOST? Same thing.

In fact, the stuff that seems to get enshrined are the things that are not allowed to be finished (see: Firefly, or Dr. who going in the opposite direction)

I can say I have met people in real life who complain exactly like the boards and this folks aren't "nerds" as we would describe them.

Hell just go with my folks.

BSG, we all agree the last 30 minutes was dumb. But until that point we are fine with the ending. The last part just made little sense.

I liked the end of True Detective and LOST. So did most people I know who watched it.

It is not ending something that is the sin it is ending something by jumping the shark which is the sin.

BSG did that. People feel ME did that as it removed the agency and purpose of 90% of the series at the end. These are legitimate complaints. Writing an ending is hard. A good conclusion be it to a novel, a show or a movie is difficult especially with the amount of variables in a game like ME. But if you do it right you are consider a golden god, if you do it wrong it can mess up an entire series and if it is just mediocre no one really cares.

They actually had an ending, because ME3 had a whole pile of writers

Casey Hudson personally overruled all of them and went with his Matrix-esque napkin notes though

Same for the first section of the game and the dream sequences with the child that Shepard for reasons unknown gives so many shits about

because videogames are art and sometimes art runs away from the creative intent... I still like the indoctrination theory, and it makes the ending a lot more palatable.

edit: it makes the entire child story arc make a hell of a lot more sense in the context of the universe, to the point where it would be more surprising that the creators never once thought of it while making the sequences.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If I was creative director for ME3, I would have given it the most classical of ending. An epic boss fight, you beat the boss down, and then the boss comes back even stronger. And then once more.

I'd give myself a 9.8, but I am humble.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I didn't watch BSG. But BSG, you are wholly on someone else's ride. Same with Lost. You can accept that, or don't. With ME, you were given so many choices. No matter how particular you were over 3 games, you still couldn't get a satisfying ending. Not even remotely. It was the biggest bait and switch in human history

I got, like, 4 satisfying endings from Mass Effect 3. Throughout the game.

Maybe you didn't get the exact one you wanted for Shepherd... but to act like the game provided no resolution is a bit much.

There were threads tied up and ended but the plot did not end in a way that was satisfactory. Especially since so much of the rest of the small endings were so well done. This is why a lot of folks take Citadel as their one true ending and leave it at that.

The biggest problem with Mass Effect is how they wrote themselves into a corner with the Reapers. And how I think none of them knew how to write their way out of that corner or what to do.

It also broke the biggest premise of the game, you are Shepard, this is your story, and your choices matter.

Because in the end they really didn't. At least at release.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

LOST? Same thing.

We don't have a problem with ending, we have a problem with bad endings. BSG followed the LOST formula (paint yourself into corners by creating mysteries without answering anything), and failed to deliver for the same reasons. My friends in real life shit talk endings all the time. BSG would had been largely serviceable except
    opps we forgot we had to have an answer for starbuck, she was just a physical ghost for 2 seasons, but 'angels' aren't allowed to interfere lol

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    i really wish i'd played fallout:NV earlier

i've tried a couple of times to get into it after people in [chat] have talked about it

but i can't get past the crummy graphics, clunky controls and hideously slow start to the game

it's one of those games where you need nostalgia on your side to play it these days and i don't

i've probably cheated myself out of a good game

serious: I really think you're confusing Fallout 2 for Fallout New Vegas

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    It's simple. If you got all the assets, if you did everything right, if you forged every alliance, you should have gotten the Independence Day fuck all baddies ending.

^ on this.

They got all worried about not being existential enough I think, even though once you're into hundred million dollar budgets and big god damn hero moments and being a cyborg badass who kills all the mercenaries then at that point you've already done the legwork to say "fuck it, we win everything".

And seriously. We win everything is an ok ending. If that's what you're selling, then just sell it. Don't suddenly worry you're not redefining genres or whatever.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    On a side note, I'm thinking I might just skip Dark Souls 2.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    It's been weeks since I played The Walking Dead. It's the only icon on my desktop, but I've been putting it off, because it really stresses me out to know that I'm have responsibilities and tough choices to make.

I've started playing it recently, and while i'm only in episode two I can't find it in me to really care too much about these tough choices the game gives me.

I'm fairly certain that at no point will the game leave me in a scenario whereby as a result of my choices it's essentially game over, QTE's not withstanding of course, so I can do whatever I want. Currently seeing if I can accidentally feed anyone who knows my turrible secret to the undead, but I imagine the game won't allow that.

In hindsight I am probably not the target audience for this game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    i really wish i'd played fallout:NV earlier

i've tried a couple of times to get into it after people in [chat] have talked about it

but i can't get past the crummy graphics, clunky controls and hideously slow start to the game

it's one of those games where you need nostalgia on your side to play it these days and i don't

i've probably cheated myself out of a good game

serious: I really think you're confusing Fallout 2 for Fallout New Vegas

nope

i am talking about New Vagas

• Options
    If I was creative director for ME3, I would have given it the most classical of ending. An epic boss fight, you beat the boss down, and then the boss comes back even stronger. And then once more.

an ending where you fight a big robot in the citadel and kill it and all the reapers die ala avengers/droid control ship/whatever would have been cliched as fuck but still been better (with shepard surviving or not surviving based on help you get, which in turn is based on if you got specific allies)

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    http://bit.ly/1gmiIdP

slideshow of puppy dags my local shelter has
    wants all of them

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    As media consumers we don't "deserve" any specific ending but we are well within our rights to call one out as being terrible

I don't know id take the next step to actually being angry at the writer but I'm not going to just pretend a bad ending was great

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    You can fix the new vegas graphics fairly easily and the opening is only as slow as YOU make it.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    diablo 3 was the opposite problem, wasn't it

they did try to tie everything up and leave minimal enigmas as to motivations, your place in the story, etc

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I have not played a mass effect

but I get the feeling people wanted an ogre battle type ending that confirms decisions you made through the game

technically ogre battle has tens of thousands of different endings but that's only because you've got like two dozen npcs you either A: never interacted with, B: killed on sight, or C: joined to fight alongside

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    It's been weeks since I played The Walking Dead. It's the only icon on my desktop, but I've been putting it off, because it really stresses me out to know that I'm have responsibilities and tough choices to make.

I've started playing it recently, and while i'm only in episode two I can't find it in me to really care too much about these tough choices the game gives me.

I'm fairly certain that at no point will the game leave me in a scenario whereby as a result of my choices it's essentially game over, QTE's not withstanding of course, so I can do whatever I want. Currently seeing if I can accidentally feed anyone who knows my turrible secret to the undead, but I imagine the game won't allow that.

In hindsight I am probably not the target audience for this game.

IT's a choose your own adventure novel with QTEs.

The user agency is completely limited to which conversation option you pick, or if you swipe left or right at certain points.

The story is still really good, and the ending is PTSD-inducing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

LOST? Same thing.

In the True Detective thread there were only a couple people that didn't like the ending, I thought?

I saw a lot of people talking about how great it was...

there were a good number of people who were really geared up for a twist or for some sort of supernatural apotheosis because that stuff was relevant to their interests, and when the show turned out to be mostly a straightforward (but extraordinarily well-made) police procedural and character study they felt betrayed.

people have been trained to expect a twist in suspense movies, mostly by dicks like james patterson. so much so that when you go to see a thriller movie, you can almost always just look at the billing and know that the second-most expensive actor is going to turn out to be the secret big bad. and even though it's stupid, everyone is still conditioned that way.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I don't feel like I deserve shit, I just feel between ME3 and Dragon Age 2 Bioware is Blizzard tier shitty at making stories and am avoiding their products

I didn't buy any ME3 DLC, for a series I probably put 200 hours in

Casey Hudson can keep trying to be avant garde I just won't buy anything with his name attached to it until it's heavily discounted, there's plenty of other games to play

override367 on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    d3 could probably have done with a bleak "here are your shitty choices" ending

it was a theme of d1 and d2, too, of defeating evil only through horrible sacrifices, for which you are not remembered or thanked

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

an ending where you fight a big robot in the citadel and kill it and all the reapers die ala avengers/droid control ship/whatever would have been cliched as fuck but still been better (with shepard surviving or not surviving based on help you get, which in turn is based on if you got specific allies)

Man screw that. Do "going outside on the Citadel 2".

Shepard and team space jumping from Reaper to Reaper above Earth, killing like, 30-40 Reapers from getting inside and blowing the Mass Effect cores or whatever.

Then some big showdown with Harbinger.

Like, maybe you start jacking into Reapers and fighting Harbinger ship-ship inside the Citadel.

Make the Crucible like an indoctrination suppressor or something, and then roll AI hacking in with the Cerberus stuff but where you get to be giant and punch Reaper faces.

• Options
    You can fix the new vegas graphics fairly easily and the opening is only as slow as YOU make it.

then apparently i am incapable of making it not slow so the point is moot

i guess i could Mod the game up the wazoo to make it look better, but frankly i lack the motivation to do so when i have a million other games i can fire up and play

i honestly think sometimes you miss the boat on games, like i love FFVII, it's one of my all time favourite game in no small part because i loved it as a child

but i fully admit anyone picking it up for the first time today is going to hate it, game design has moved on a hell of a lot and the dawn of the 3D age sprites are just going to feel like the stone age if you're not looking at them through rose tinted glasses

• Options

^ on this.

They got all worried about not being existential enough I think, even though once you're into hundred million dollar budgets and big god damn hero moments and being a cyborg badass who kills all the mercenaries then at that point you've already done the legwork to say "fuck it, we win everything".

And seriously. We win everything is an ok ending. If that's what you're selling, then just sell it. Don't suddenly worry you're not redefining genres or whatever.

But I don't think "We win everything" is at all what ME3 was selling. even from the start.

ME3 was a story of the hell of war, entropy, and loss. Everyone was fucking tired. And got more haggard as the game progressed. Every act seemed futile, occasionally punctuated by small and meaningful victories.

Even if the ending wasn't what you wanted, I think you are misremembering just how fucking dark the tone was throughout the whole of the game. ME3 was not "the expendables" - it was Mass Effect as directed by Darren Aronofsky.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    They just need to take tips on writing endings from Obsidian.

The evil ending for MotB was a thing of beauty, ass graphics or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsUwihtGDM0

But yeah, a lot of the old BioWare games have the style of ending that addresses many of the choices you've made in your journey, helping make the player proud of their accomplishments. ME3 did not do a good job of following that approach.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »

they did try to tie everything up and leave minimal enigmas as to motivations, your place in the story, etc

Shepard's place in the story was to defeat the reapers, Shepard is the hero, that was never an enigma

The series was a traditional space opera in a cool setting with cool characters, that's it, it wasn't popular because the story featured wild twists or whatever

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I have not played a mass effect

but I get the feeling people wanted an ogre battle type ending that confirms decisions you made through the game

technically ogre battle has tens of thousands of different endings but that's only because you've got like two dozen npcs you either A: never interacted with, B: killed on sight, or C: joined to fight alongside
    Well shit, now I've got to play ogre battle again. It's a compulsion.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Does anyone really think Frozen is especially gay if they weren't already queer?

i noticed 0 gayness

where was the gayness?

It was inside you all along!

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Whoop, got my power bill in. It went down $40 and back into normal-ish range.

Bless your heart.
  • Options

i noticed 0 gayness

where was the gayness?

It was inside you all along!

:winky:

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    the best thing about the me3 ending was that everything you did over 120+ hours of games and 5 years did not matter

not one shred of anything you had done with your character that you had finely sculpted to be your narrative mattered one single bit

god that was awesome

bravo

bra-fucking-vo

I love that Fallout New Vegas managed to incorporate all your assets for the final battle, every alliance you'd made pays off and you actually see all of them show up and help you

apparently that was too tall an order for a tiny studio like Bioware

i don't get this complaint

not all stories require EVERY CHARACTER and EVERY STORY THREAD to be referenced in the very last scene

there were like, three or four ways that ME3 wrapped up, with references to a few minor variations depending on some major plot points. if you include the whole closing sequence, there are more significant variations.

most games and all movies/ books there is one way they wrap up

i don't know. i just don't get the grousing about the ending.

i guess maybe just a case of fkn nerds?

Your war assets don't show up to help in a game where accumulating war assets is basically your entire objective the whole game and even tracked on a little meter

The game's primary objective, the thing that is so important it's the central indicator of your progress, is meaningless

but they do show up in the ending sequences. sure, it's mostly the equivalent of, like, admiral ackbar having a few lines at the end of star wars but what did you want? i am p sure that the ground forces you have with you in that last stage vary to some degree depending on whether, like, you preserved the krogans.

honestly i don't know exactly what you want and that i guess is whatever but what i can't seem to get my head around is that you feel entitled to a particular sort of ending

i mean development resources are going to be relatively scarce. they might be able to put in a little call-out to some decision you made in the game you imported from ME1 but they just don't have the resources to give you a completely different endgame experience based on it.

i mean they let you finish the game successfully even if you got an intermediate "bad ending" but that seems to me to be okay.

Starchild was the laziest Deus ex machina I've ever seen in a game.

Should've made the ending like the Suicide Mission from ME2.

do not agree

starchild was basically the only thing that made the entire storyline of ME2 make any sense in the first place. i don't know if you remember but the reapers' apparent motivation was nonsense.

the ME2 ending was bad bad bad. i understand that the appeal to you here was that because you had gone through every character's loyalty mission and kept them all alive then you got a little reward. but, you know, maybe just going through the loyalty missions and getting the dialog and character interaction and all of that is its own reward?

maybe saving the krogans or establishing geth quarian peace in the various acts of ME3 was you know sufficient reward to play the game?

by far the best ending to any game in the series was the final sequence of ME1. just really well-crafted and tense!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Yahtzee clued me in to a important problem with NeoThief:
    Nobody says "Taff" or "Taffer".

Deal breaker

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

LOST? Same thing.

In the True Detective thread there were only a couple people that didn't like the ending, I thought?

I saw a lot of people talking about how great it was...

there were a good number of people who were really geared up for a twist or for some sort of supernatural apotheosis because that stuff was relevant to their interests, and when the show turned out to be mostly a straightforward (but extraordinarily well-made) police procedural and character study they felt betrayed.

people have been trained to expect a twist in suspense movies, mostly by dicks like james patterson. so much so that when you go to see a thriller movie, you can almost always just look at the billing and know that the second-most expensive actor is going to turn out to be the secret big bad. and even though it's stupid, everyone is still conditioned that way.

As far as the thread was concerned though a bunch of us were saying after almost every episode "The writer has been sayign over and over not to expect a twist so maybe we shouldn't be expecting a twist, yea?"

But I don't remember there being that maybe people, on these boards, that were super upset with it?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Nah, d3 did the thing a lot of games that want to have a story but don't know how to handle the protagonist's part in it did.

It paid no tribute to the player. At the end of the game, after multiple heinous fuck-ups, and doing absolutely no work himself whatsoever, Tyrael joins the vaunted ranks of Kormir and a bunch of other NPCs who've been with you in the story since the beginning, and then take credit for all the shit you've done.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

^ on this.

But I don't think "We win everything" is at all what ME3 was selling. even from the start.

ME3 was a story of the hell of war, entropy, and loss. Everyone was fucking tired. And got more haggard as the game progressed. Every act seemed futile, occasionally punctuated by small and meaningful victories.

Even if the ending wasn't what you wanted, I think you are misremembering just how fucking dark the tone was throughout the whole of the game. ME3 was not "the expendables" - it was Mass Effect as directed by Darren Aronofsky.

It wouldn't have been "we win at everything"

even if you kill the reapers, everything's all fucked up, billions of people died

but "shepard kills the reapers and retires to a beach with tali" or whatever would have been fine if you did everything right. And sequels in the universe are opened up what with all the governments in disarray and the services of a new generation of spectres needed

I feel like at some point he was thinking, "oh shit we have a final bossfight and you win, this is too gamey". The ending notes even have "like the matrix" written on them

might as well have just had shepard die from an aneurysm or it turns out all 3 games were a dream and shepard never survived the attack on her colony

the expanded ending fixes a lot of the problems though

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.