As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hearth[chat] : Hit it very hard!

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So Blizzards Heroes of the Storm is following Riot's formula with heroes instead Valve's with hats. This makes me less interested.

I don't know much about Valve's "hats", but I am sure it is a minor additional revenue stream. This came up the other day, Riots formula is amazeballs. I am not aware of a better "pay whatever, or don't" system.

Valve's hat system has a higher front end but cheaper in the long run. But also depends on user generated content. DoTA2 makes a good amount of money for a game that still is 1/4 that of LoL. At least I think that few. It was 7.5 million unique users in February maybe 8. But at this point Valve makes tons of money with limited over head kind of like the hats with TF2.

I still don't understand "hats".
    For DOTA 2 I really don't see a difference. With LoL, you can unlock everything except the cosmetic stuff through the bitcoins you earn through gameplay. It looks like DOTA just removes the champ unlock portion, which I don't feel is necessarily a good thing.

Steam Workshop sounds cool though.

dota also flings the cosmetics at you free as random end-of-game rewards

it's hard to tell how much they are actually earning from it, but it seems non-trivial. Also unknown: how much the Internationals actually cost to host, vs revenue raised

aRkpc.gif
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    So Blizzards Heroes of the Storm is following Riot's formula with heroes instead Valve's with hats. This makes me less interested.

I don't know much about Valve's "hats", but I am sure it is a minor additional revenue stream. This came up the other day, Riots formula is amazeballs. I am not aware of a better "pay whatever, or don't" system.

Valve's hat system has a higher front end but cheaper in the long run. But also depends on user generated content. DoTA2 makes a good amount of money for a game that still is 1/4 that of LoL. At least I think that few. It was 7.5 million unique users in February maybe 8. But at this point Valve makes tons of money with limited over head kind of like the hats with TF2.

For DOTA 2 I really don't see a difference. With LoL, you can unlock everything except the cosmetic stuff through the bitcoins you earn through gameplay. It looks like DOTA just removes the champ unlock portion, which I don't feel is necessarily a good thing.

I can appreciate how much some of you like LoL and its system but to say having all champs open from the get go is 'not necessarily good' is the brainwash speaking

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Valve's hat system has a higher front end but cheaper in the long run.

Could you please explain this?
    LoL is free. So free. The only thing you ever have to pay for is cosmetic skins.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    We used to have a couple of older guys at work with heart conditions so we took over brewing the coffee and we'd sneak in decaf and put it in caffeinated tins. I justified it morally by saying the light side points gained by saving their hearts was offset by the dark side points gained by deceiving them.

Ludious wrote: »
    We used to have a couple of older guys at work with heart conditions so we took over brewing the coffee and we'd sneak in decaf and put it in caffeinated tins. I justified it morally by saying the light side points gained by saving their hearts was offset by the dark side points gained by deceiving them.

it's gonna depend on how god feels about coffee

myself I'd send you straight to hell for that alone

Unless all DOTA2's champs are equally easy to play, I kinda like being forced to unlock them. You do not want a god damned newb playing a champ with advanced mechanics and any barrier that forces them to learn the game a bit more by playing helps.

they're all hostile really

the champs that newbies gravitate towards, with simple mechanics, are notorious noobtraps because they're simple in lacking escape mechanisms

aRkpc.gif
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

I can appreciate how much some of you like LoL and its system but to say having all champs open from the get go is 'not necessarily good' is the brainwash speaking

You can drop a new guy into a game with a basic champ like Annie or Tristana and explain things really quickly. They both have useful mechanics that are easy to catch onto. You do not want to start them on a champ like Veigar or Nasus where they need to understand why farming is important and biding your time is necessary. It's this whole meta game that has to be learned through tears. It's better if they look at those champs as something to earn and in the meantime learn. But I may just be a brainwashed zombie who doesn't think things through. *level stare*

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I kinda wish I liked the moba laning/tower/last hitting minion phase stuff

but I find it ridiculously tedious

even smite's arena mode puts an insane premium on last-hitting minions, so much so that last hitting minions is actually more important to your score than killing opposing gods in a mode that's supposed to be team deathmatch. I mean, literally, if you last hit an enemy minion wave (6 dudes), the enemies lose 6 points. If you die to an opposing god, your team loses 5 points. If all your minions die to enemy minions, then your score remains. How the fuck is that even a thing.

ronya wrote: »
    Unless all DOTA2's champs are equally easy to play, I kinda like being forced to unlock them. You do not want a god damned newb playing a champ with advanced mechanics and any barrier that forces them to learn the game a bit more by playing helps.

they're all hostile really

the champs that newbies gravitate towards, with simple mechanics, are notorious noobtraps because they're simple in lacking escape mechanisms

aforementioned annie and tristana both have two of the best escapes in the game. Annie's isn't a true escape but it practically is.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

It changes how characters act with in a game.

If you release a new character and charge money for it there is an incentive to make them slightly overpowered but maybe not unbalanced and make sure it cost lots of fun moneys to buy. This way you have a large chunk of folks throwing real money at it to get it day 1 with the skins. That is how Riot makes a lot of money. There will be those who grind but a lot of folks will just fork the cash over for instant gratification. And you will have whales who will buy like 100 dollar skin packs. STO folks wrote up a really good thing on this with their F2P model.

With Valve the heroes are already designed, they are being moved from DoTA1 still. But the idea is to try to get them in balanced, doesn't always work though. The money is made by whales again who buy all the cosmetics, some folks like me who buy during sales(I spent 10 bucks, got some stuff like an announcer and such), and tickets for tournaments. This leads to Valve have a constant stream of couriers, cosmetics, tournaments, announcer packs and so on being produced mostly by the community. If you get in as a producer you make a cut of like 30% and Valve keeps the rest. Since you are selling a pretty varied set of goods you still make money with less overhead or need to produce a new champ every two weeks. It is a different style of model.

Ticket sales are also pretty great. You pay 3 bucks, and you can watch in game or watch for free on twitch with commercials. In game you get stats, announcers and so on as well. Plus dvr replays and such. Kind of a neat way to promote the pro-scene.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Except it isn't, people in the sub 200 win level playing champion roulette would lead to your teammates being even more bad than they are

LoL champions have a difficulty curve, you throw Yasuo to a new player and they'll flop about like a dying fish even though he's an overpowered golden god

It just so happens the cheapest champions are the easiest to play (annie) and most powerful (annie)

override367 on
    dota has lots of splashy spell effects that act as disables, gap closers, etc., so mobility/positioning skills are very important

and new players reflexively dislike those because they're also an easy way to get yourself killed

aRkpc.gif
    Neither LoL or Dota 2 does things wrong and each system works for the game it is designed to work for.

Why the fuck am I being the reasonable level-headed one here?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    5LGmPUS.jpg?1

obF2Wuw.png

Except it isn't, people in the sub 200 win level playing champion roulette would lead to your teammates being even more bad than they are

LoL champions have a difficulty curve, you throw Yasuo to a new player and they'll flop about like a dead fish even though he's an overpowered golden god

that doesn't come close to the value of having everything open from the get go

I am fine with disagreeing on this so I take back my brainwash line but honestly, I'll take the load of choices some of which may be bad over having a limit on what I can play with. you don't know my moba experience level, I think I can be trusted to pick a hero.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

It really isn't, because it's multiplayer game. Hearing "First time WeirdChamp!" in the lobby makes me audibly groan.

It still takes a helluva lot longer to get good at a champ than to unlock it.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    wow, the final steps in closing on a house are as bad or worse than the option period even. So many little things that lead to complications. I wasn't aware that I needed a cashiers check for closing and I moved all of my down payment money into my online bank account. This means that I have to order the check in advance. But I still do not know what the final amount will be. If I undershoot by more than a thousand I could be in trouble.

If I had known this I probably would have put everything in my bank of america checking account instead but alas.

Learn from my mistakes other first time homebuyers.

My lender let me do a wire transfer. But even then they barely got me the number in time to do that. Like I literally had to haul ass to the bank 15 minutes before closing time the day before closing because they had just gotten me the number.

DoTA2 starts you with a limited pool.

This is a small number of champs that are easier to play and it has a pretty good tutorial that walks you through mechanics of the game. Valve did a good job of easing people in.

Not all DoTA champs are as easy. DoTA is a harder more complex game than LoL just because of how items work.

I mean not every character is Invoker who has 10 spells which you bring up by key combos plus up to 6 items with uses. But usually you balance 4 to 6 abilities/items on almost every character in the game.

DoTA2 does make you play before you get all pick. And the bots and newb games are pretty good for teaching since you don't hit any of the crazy complex characters like Invoker or Tinker or even the invis characters.

u7stthr17eud.png
    there's a limited pool now?

aRkpc.gif

It really isn't, because it's multiplayer game. Hearing "First time WeirdChamp!" in the lobby makes me audibly groan.

It still takes a helluva lot longer to get good at a champ than to unlock it.

I don't know what weirdchamp means

but like... I still find this an easy choice. your teammates might suck no matter what.

likewise they can make good decisions no matter what. shit, label which champs are easier for noobs.

You can drop a new guy into a game with a basic champ like Annie or Tristana and explain things really quickly. They both have useful mechanics that are easy to catch onto. You do not want to start them on a champ like Veigar or Nasus where they need to understand why farming is important and biding your time is necessary. It's this whole meta game that has to be learned through tears. It's better if they look at those champs as something to earn and in the meantime learn. But I may just be a brainwashed zombie who doesn't think things through. *level stare*

Fuck man, trist?
    I still fuck the rocket+jump ult combo.

Ryze or Ashe are much easier imo.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    wow, the final steps in closing on a house are as bad or worse than the option period even. So many little things that lead to complications. I wasn't aware that I needed a cashiers check for closing and I moved all of my down payment money into my online bank account. This means that I have to order the check in advance. But I still do not know what the final amount will be. If I undershoot by more than a thousand I could be in trouble.

If I had known this I probably would have put everything in my bank of america checking account instead but alas.

Learn from my mistakes other first time homebuyers.

My lender let me do a wire transfer. But even then they barely got me the number in time to do that. Like I literally had to haul ass to the bank 15 minutes before closing time the day before closing because they had just gotten me the number.

Federal government should take over FHA loans at this point, anyways. They should also move away from credit worthiness because it's such a terrible system in general.

Should look at things like stability of the person being able to pay rent, how long they've been in the area, how long they've had a job paying above X, and how long they've stayed at the job. Those should be more important than "gee you had a hard time paying your medical bills, fuck you."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Other uses for LinkedIn
    -Meeting with someone? Check out their profile. I find that it calms my nerves.
    -Every few years look up a fail ex-girlfriend and laugh forever at their poor life choices

My ex and I were/might still be in a feedback loop of checking on each others linkedin for at least two years, mostly owing to me not recognising her married name and my habit of not really checking linkedin out more frequently than every few months. So every time she'd look me up, the next time I logged in i'd see that someone had a look, so i'd check them out realise it was her and go about my business, and then, inevitably she'd check my profile out because i'd just had a nose about hers and then a month or so would pass and I'd log on and go "Who's this person, better check it ou--- OH GOD DAMMIT NOT AGAIN!"

Repeat forever.

sig.gif
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Plus fuck banks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    kaleedity wrote: »

even smite's arena mode puts an insane premium on last-hitting minions, so much so that last hitting minions is actually more important to your score than killing opposing gods in a mode that's supposed to be team deathmatch. I mean, literally, if you last hit an enemy minion wave (6 dudes), the enemies lose 6 points. If you die to an opposing god, your team loses 5 points. If all your minions die to enemy minions, then your score remains. How the fuck is that even a thing.

Blizzards moba is for you.

They just skipped the laning phase basically.

Gold is universally shared.

So is exp.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Interview went ok for project manager position. It went great for superintendent position, but I feel like the company I applied for with the super position may not exist in 3 years. I've got another interview next week for a spot as contract administrator/project manager, and I really liked the lady I did my phone interview with. This one seams like it would be a really great position for me. Hopefully the pay is up to snuff.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    My strategy for LoL

Pick Singed.

Always pick Singed.

Nothing is more terrifying for your enemies than the sound of the deadly "FWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

this is all moot for me because I don't like mobas but there's no rule that says 'if we allow all champs you must pick the hardest'. you can even guide folks towards easier ones as dota does I believe.

edited March 2014

LoL champions have a difficulty curve, you throw Yasuo to a new player and they'll flop about like a dead fish even though he's an overpowered golden god

I am fine with disagreeing on this so I take back my brainwash line but honestly, I'll take the load of choices some of which may be bad over having a limit on what I can play with. you don't know my moba experience level, I think I can be trusted to pick a hero.

Well that's fine as long as you cut out that brainwash bullshit, there's a legit method to the madness if you look at champion prices vs complexity, many of the expensive LoL champions are just plain horrendously bad on a new player. Many aren't

If I could amend LoL's system I would allow people to pick a free champion every 5 levels (of any price) and the 450IP champions would simply be free (even though that's like, 2 games)

override367 on
    Tristana is easy if you aren't like

borderline retarded

or drunk

or both in your case

edited March 2014

If you're a rando Im playing with, I'd rather limit your choices so you don't go all "Free spirit! Youre not my real dad! I do wut i want!" in champ select.

I would much rather have a dude that's kinda crappy with a champ he's familiar with on my team, than a first time pro. If that mildly constrains me at the same time, I am fine with that.

but, you know, differences in opinions.

Deebaser on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »

Blizzards moba is for you.

They just skipped the laning phase basically.

Gold is universally shared.

So is exp.

ugggh I'ma have to try this aren't I

fuuck

ronya wrote: »
    there's a limited pool now?

Yeah, there is.

It is limited draft I think? They use it for the first like 2 or 3 levels. And for all the games in the tutorial.

Has stuff like Wraith King, Kunka, Sniper, Tide and Viper. A lot of the more passive or straightforward characters. The tutorial is pretty decent as an intro. Walks you through last hitting, has you do some 1v1 mid lane fights with different characters. And even explains denies.

u7stthr17eud.png
    A newbie who has the basics of annie down might be a boon to the team. Put them on a champ that gains stacks or only needs to go in when their innate procs or something like that and they are a liability. Like I said, neither game does it wrong. I don't like DOTA 2 because the item shenanigans make my add twitch. They are different games. They look the same from an outsider's view but they are so very, very different.

Tristana is easy if you aren't like

borderline retarded

or drunk

or both in your case

"always leap into battle Tristana" describes most Tristana players I've seen unfortunately

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Ascension questions:
    1) any (practical, legal) restriction on center deck size?

2) any restrictions on mixing base sets, expansions, and additional cards? For example, are the following center decks 'legal'?
    a) two RotF expansions
    b) two Chronicles of the Godslayer
    c) two King of the Rat promo packs, an Apprentice Edition, and the Chronicles of the Godslayer

3) are there a maximum (or minimum) number of mystic and heavy infantry cards per game? Something like, "No more than 35 (for 2 players); no less than 20"?

I understand these are weird questions.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    trump>day 9 yeah i said it

i'm taking things in a mean direction

colbert-on-notice.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    My strategy for lol. Not play that shitty game.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    What actually is the deal with Skeleton King now?

Is he gone gone, or are they rebuilding him from the ground up?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Hmm. Fallout 1 has actually aged quite well. Sprite graphics, sure, but the talking heads still look good.

This discussion has been closed.