As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS THE BUCS PLAYOFF CHANCES!

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10896064/nflpa-files-grievance-behalf-jimmy-graham-new-orleans-saints-star

So does that mean his HOF chances are now toast? :) In all honesty with a beast of receiver like Graham it is hard to take a side but his snaps with his hands on the ground are not 0% like all WRs either.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I see Graham's point, but as with most things involving big contracts, its hard to feel any sympathy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    How were the Seahawks able to afford this AND Thomas? Everything I heard pointed to one or the other.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I believe the cap is set to be expanded over the next two years? And they are owned by Paul Allen.

I'm glad they locked Sherman in, he's a leader on the defense, so even when he physically doesn't play at the same level, mentally he'll still be able to provide for the team. Also as a leader he can help train the next Richard Sherman.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'm curious about that too, I would guess it has to do with the larger than expected salary cap increases.

• Options
    Well Rice and Miller were a lot of cap hit. Prior to this signing the Hawks had 13mil of space or so. Also there will be a bunch of FAs in the next year or two to free up money for the other big signing.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    How were the Seahawks able to afford this AND Thomas? Everything I heard pointed to one or the other.
    Part of it is how they structured the contracts. Usually when you see 'signs a four year deal for X dollars' it replaces the current contract voiding what they already have. For both Sherm and Thomas it was added at the end if their current deals which are much lower costs and allow the guarantee to be pro-rated over another year.

In essence instead of it being just 57 million over 4 years with a 40 mil guarantee, it's like 57.8 (I think hes got about 800k in the current deal, not sure exactly ) over 5 with a 40.6 mil guarantee because the old deal didn't get ripped up.

Also partly because they're letting other folks walk. Most of our LBs and basically all our other corners from the SB roster will be gone by the kickoff of the 2015 season along with role players like Golden Tate and various depth guys.

• Options
    Didn't the hawks dump some of the dead weight on their offensive line?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    That is next year and beyond though right Jihad?

Preacher McQuistan and Giacomini are gone. As are some bench players. They signed a couple of people one from the Chargers and Pack I believe.

Also: Sherman this morning:
    richard-sherman-practicing-touchdown-dance.gif

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    That is next year and beyond though right Jihad?

Preacher McQuistan and Giacomini are gone. As are some bench players. They signed a couple of people one from the Chargers and Pack I believe.

Also: Sherman this morning:
    richard-sherman-practicing-touchdown-dance.gif
    Yeah, I'm thinking of Thurmond, Browner and Maxwell next year (no way they can afford him if he plays as well all season as he did at the end of last year), and then basically all of our LBs are up next year (so expect them to draft at least 1 this year if they can get one fast enough).

• Options
    Isn't browner already a patriot? Or do the hawks have two browners?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    He meant Lane I think.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Seahawks had more than enough money to squeeze both the Thomas and Sherman extensions under the cap this year. It's next offseason when things get dicey for them. They'll almost certainly have to start jettisoning guys when they re-up Wilson (everybody enjoy Marshawn Lynch this season, because the odds of him being on the team at 2015's training camp are slim at best). And Seattle's front office is praying for the largest possible salary cap increase for the upcoming season, because they're going to need all the breathing room they can get.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I thought Marshawn was through next year and the year after. The big guys coming off contract will be Avril and the guys Jihad mentioned. It all depends on if the cap goes up 10 mil next year or not. Avril is almost 10 mil alone. Hawks have 10-13 mil still on the books for the draft as well. Wilson should still be an easy signing. It is the CBs and LBs that will most likely be triage.

• Options
    Well Lynch was gone whether cap space said so or not, just based on milege and wear and tear.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah he'll turn 29 or 30 and runs like well Marshawn Lynch. Better hope Michael's as good as they think hr is for 2015.

• Options
    Honestly if they can draft a good wr they might not have to worry about a running game/keep pressure off it.

I mean Lynch was bottled up pretty good in the owl, but they still walloped.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, but the reason Lynch was bottled up was because the denver D was really selling out to stop the run, because that's generally what you have to do to stop Marshawn Lynch.

So it worked, but in turn there was a lot to take advantage of in the passing game.

Anyway, yeah, most people seem to be expecting that this'll probably be the last year for Lynch, especially if Michael performs well this year. RBs tend to have really dramatic dropoffs once they get to like 28-29, and Lynch has been a workhorse. It'll make a ton of money sense to cut him after this year and let Michael step into his shoes.

The good news for the seahawks is that while they're definitely not going to be able to afford big free agent pickups like Bennett again, these new deals are pretty much the only big contracts the seahawks have.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    That Eric Galko guy has Manziel falling to 26th. I'm not sold on Manziel, but that is an absurd prediction. Someone will pick him up for the trade value, or someone will trade up for him before then. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 5 and if he falls out of the top 10 I would be pretty shocked.

Cog on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The QBs aren't good (including Manziel) prospects this year but they'll be taken relatively high because they are QBs

Also the draftees get to pick entrance music this year. So be ready for this over and over
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA&feature=kp

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Also the draftees get to pick entrance music this year. So be ready for this over and over

Please let one of them have a sense of humor about it. Please, Football Gods.

• Options
    I think there will be 3 qbs picked in the first round. I am a master picker!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm not suggesting Manziel is terribly great, or will make a great NFL qb, or is worth the pick. He's just not going to fall to twenty sixth. He'll go higher because of hype if nothing else.

• Options
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000347466/article/report-manziel-doesnt-want-to-land-in-jacksonville

Here we go, some rumor mongering to dissuade a team from making a pick. I love draft day.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Eli Mk.II

• Options
    Nah I don't think Manziel will beat Tom Brady in two superb owls.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I guess in Tampa Bay they are talking up how much they went Manziel which means they'll take someone for their O-line and then that LSU qb who had a diluted piss test at the combine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Please let one of them have a sense of humor about it. Please, Football Gods.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZQfld6GAs

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I can't wait until this weekend is over so I can stop hearing about the draft. It is literally all sports radio is talking about in Houston, and has been for weeks (well, with a little consternation over the Rockets mixed in).

Clowney, welcome to the Texans. Allow me to apologize to you in advance.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Richard Sherman states what we all know.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Sherman's troll hand is strong.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    That Eric Galko guy has Manziel falling to 26th. I'm not sold on Manziel, but that is an absurd prediction. Someone will pick him up for the trade value, or someone will trade up for him before then. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 5 and if he falls out of the top 10 I would be pretty shocked.

I don't think picking up a guy for trade value makes sense (at least, not in the early rounds). Might as well trade picks and not risk being saddled with a guy you don't want.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Sherman is also not wrong, because the NFL already had their own version of Donald Sterling, surprisingly it was the original owner of the redskins, and they let him be in the league up until his death I believe.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft, based on my experience of actually watching football. A weird way to evaluate kids, I know.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    But didn't you see his pro day? HIS PRO DAY!?!?!?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft, based on my experience of actually watching football. A weird way to evaluate kids, I know.

Amen... The tape doesn't lie.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    you know who I would love to see the pats pick up late because apparently everyone has forgotten he exists?

AJ McCarron

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    you know who I would love to see the pats pick up late because apparently everyone has forgotten he exists?

AJ McCarron

Sorry he's going to be a Bill, they already have reserved the prettiest girl in Buffallo for him.

pleasepaypreacher.net