Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I did notice hilariously it included a charge gun titan killer challenge. Man that should be a lot easier than the charge gun crit hits!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So do we know what they'll do with the new maps? Like, rotate them in with the rest?

The DLC maps are already in a standard rotation (in other words if you click Play Multiplayer, then Attrition, they will be part of the map rotation.)

The problem is that the playerbase is already "small" (for matchmaking purposes, anyway) and DLC map packs always split up the community even further. So what happens is, you'll click Attrition or whatever, and the game will search for lobbies/players to match you up with that have the DLC that you do, but if none are available, it checks the non-DLC pool of players to get you in one of those. That way you're at least playing the game instead of sitting there searching for players for 20 minutes.

In other words, you should see the DLC maps coming up, unless they're aren't enough DLC players online.

molleh on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Ahh I see. Thanks.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    The PC community is dead and stripping features from something I paid for (CTF and PH) is enough to make me actually boycott EA and Respawn for the foreseeable future. Fuck them both. They could have done so many things to improve the PC community, instead they're just splitting it apart and diminishing it for some quick cash.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I would assume they cut the CTF and PH playlists due to lack of interest. The only way they're splitting the community is with the DLC and pretty much everyone does that.

• Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    The matchmaker seems to be the problem here - it takes forever to get matched to people but once I'm in it's fine. Until the matchmaker boots a team and starts over. I rarely notice playing with the same names, either, so I haven't gotten any feeling of sifting through the dregs.

Tonight apparently no one on any of our teams wanted to stay through a match. This is the first night since launch where the majority of the matches sucked, haha.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    The PC community is dead and stripping features from something I paid for (CTF and PH) is enough to make me actually boycott EA and Respawn for the foreseeable future. Fuck them both. They could have done so many things to improve the PC community, instead they're just splitting it apart and diminishing it for some quick cash.

Were those playlists actually removed on the PC? Feels like I missed something here.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    they were removed as individual playlists, you can still get them in the variety list.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Just from personal experience playing variety pack on the PC there's still a buttload of players. I'm just annoyed I didn't jump on the season pass deal I myself posted so there's now a weird mental block keeping me from playing :(.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Played some CTF with a friend on TS last night and it was fantastic.

I wish there was some way to actually see how many people were online and how active the game was. People keep saying the game is dead, but how can you actually know?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Well the 5 minute wait for Hardpoint is a pretty big giveaway.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

There isn't much they can do.
    Suds wrote: »

I wish there was some way to actually see how many people were online and how active the game was. People keep saying the game is dead, but how can you actually know?

Times people play? Who knows, IRC channels often have dozens of people per channel just waiting for private matches. There hasn't been a reason to pub in ages and we are growing.

• Options
    edited May 2014

I doubt the PC population is dead. They're all just hiding in private matches... which is why I thought then and do now that private matches were a great idea on paper, but a terrible one for this game.

Maybe custom public matches?

Or reserve slots... but straight out hidden games? nah.

edit: Forgot an important piece: With the matchmaking working the way it does.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular

I doubt the PC population is dead. They're all just hiding in private matches... which is why I thought then and do now that private matches were a great idea on paper, but a terrible one for this game.

Maybe custom public matches?

Or reserve slots... but straight out hidden games? nah.

edit: Forgot an important piece: With the matchmaking working the way it does.

Without private matches we'd go back to private matching in other games. Hell part of the reason so many people just quit MWO was the amount of time it took to get them. Public matches, no game is good enough to stay around for long dealing with that. Give me locked games or don't bother telling me the game exists.

• Options
    An actual server browser would be nice.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Yeah that would help. The game needs more transparency. Also needs .nix binaries to run our own dedicated servers....

• Options

I'm okay with private matches if this is a thing. Otherwise: they need to go in a game like this. I don't want to hang out in an IRC chat to find some servers to play. I just want to log on, kill some dudes, and quit for the day.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm okay with private matches if this is a thing. Otherwise: they need to go in a game like this. I don't want to hang out in an IRC chat to find some servers to play. I just want to log on, kill some dudes, and quit for the day.

You still wouldn't be able to join them from the browser because they would be password locked like private games in any game with a server browser. You still have to hang out in IRC to get a slot in server and the password. It has always been this way since Quake 1. If you get the password off someone else and blunder into the server without having gone through IRC you end up banned from that server for life.

A server browser won't get you into private matches, it just lets you see them. The entire point of privates matches is organized teams and no pubbies. If you want in, you need to hang out where the teams are being picked from, or already on a team. If not, no private games for you.

• Options
    edited May 2014

You still wouldn't be able to join them from the browser because they would be password locked like private games in any game with a server browser. You still have to hang out in IRC to get a slot in server and the password. It has always been this way since Quake 1. If you get the password off someone else and blunder into the server without having gone through IRC you end up banned from that server for life.

A server browser won't get you into private matches, it just lets you see them. The entire point of privates matches is organized teams and no pubbies. If you want in, you need to hang out where the teams are being picked from, or already on a team. If not, no private games for you.

Yeah, private matches don't really help with population fragmentation for this very reason. The same with dedicated servers, which have other problems unique to them too as far as the "my playground, my rules!" complex, (which if they are hosting is their right, but obnoxious nonetheless).

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Yeah, private matches don't really help with population fragmentation for this very reason. The same with dedicated servers, which have other problems unique to them too as far as the "my playground, my rules!" complex, (which if they are hosting is their right, but obnoxious nonetheless).

I wouldn't be playing anymore without private matches, and that's true for most playing them. A certain portion, the die hards, prefer the organized match format and skill level. It's not "fragmenting" as much as it is "would have quit the game completely for one with private matches" that's going on. Pubs are for trolling and throwing matches two games a month, TOPS. Don't play public matches unless you're piss drunk and can't find anyone because it's 5am... or you want to troll people. Hell I private match Quake 1 or just stop playing games that night before I pub this.

EDIT- It's worth keeping in mind that people in private servers are often at such a different level they are playing a different game. Dedicated sixes in hardpoint where everyone has set positions and can execute position swaps on command, builds tweaked to work with their backup at that position, it's a different game. Pubbies shouldn't be playing in those games, and those people won't waste their time in public servers once they build up the skills to compete in public matches.

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options

I wouldn't be playing anymore without private matches, and that's true for most playing them. A certain portion, the die hards, prefer the organized match format and skill level. It's not "fragmenting" as much as it is "would have quit the game completely for one with private matches" that's going on. Pubs are for trolling and throwing matches two games a month, TOPS. Don't play public matches unless you're piss drunk and can't find anyone because it's 5am... or you want to troll people.

Hell I private match Quake 1 or just stop playing games that night before I pub this.

Do you realize how incredibly antisocial and toxic to a community playerbase that kind of behavior is? And if your attitude is as widespread as you imply, it's probably a direct contributor to the problems that many people have with public matchmaking, especially on the PC.

Bolded portion aside, while some people feel the need to "only play in private," I'd argue that a larger motivation toward playing only private games comes from that one or two person(s) in a group of friends that skews their play patterns in that direction: the gang doesn't care, but Johnny does so we're going private... again. Arguably another antisocial behavior on the part of "that person" toward his/her friends, but eh.

As for the die hards, they hardly account for the majority of players. You figure those people amount to maybe a fifth of the population in a game. one fifth are amongst the "swayed," two fifths being the average player throwing in a fair bit of play time in and that last fifth are the occasional player (1 or 2 games a night or w/e). I suppose that doesn't really matter to you personally, but yeah. The point is that you (or other die hards) don't account too much for the playerbase, especially in a game that's not even a year old yet.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I always like pubbing shooters, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but with the new matchmaking swapping you out after a stomping its pretty nice. Besides I feel more social that way.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I wouldn't be playing anymore without private matches, and that's true for most playing them. A certain portion, the die hards, prefer the organized match format and skill level. It's not "fragmenting" as much as it is "would have quit the game completely for one with private matches" that's going on. Pubs are for trolling and throwing matches two games a month, TOPS. Don't play public matches unless you're piss drunk and can't find anyone because it's 5am... or you want to troll people.

Hell I private match Quake 1 or just stop playing games that night before I pub this.

Do you realize how incredibly antisocial and toxic to a community playerbase that kind of behavior is? And if your attitude is as widespread as you imply, it's probably a direct contributor to the problems that many people have with public matchmaking, especially on the PC.

Bolded portion aside, while some people feel the need to "only play in private," I'd argue that a larger motivation toward playing only private games comes from that one or two person(s) in a group of friends that skews their play patterns in that direction: the gang doesn't care, but Johnny does so we're going private... again. Arguably another antisocial behavior on the part of "that person" toward his/her friends, but eh.

As for the die hards, they hardly account for the majority of players. You figure those people amount to maybe a fifth of the population in a game. one fifth are amongst the "swayed," two fifths being the average player throwing in a fair bit of play time in and that last fifth are the occasional player (1 or 2 games a night or w/e). I suppose that doesn't really matter to you personally, but yeah. The point is that you (or other die hards) don't account too much for the playerbase, especially in a game that's not even a year old yet.

There is no reason to care if you win or lose a public match. There is no teamwork to speak of at all, and there are always bads in the server. Random luck has more to do with it than skill. Playing in public games makes you a worse player and lowers your skills. There is no reason to do it. And there's no reason to give a damn win or lose.

Playing in private games means you don't have to deal with bad players, everyone is on voice communications, you can execute complex strategies and proper positional play, plus you will get better very quickly. If peoples set team isn't there, they loan out to another team, or join a pick up group... those are still private matches. It's not one or two, it's everyone who wants the superior quality of private games. I'm less militant about it than most, but I can find dozens of players just bullshitting in IRC because IRC is more fun than public matches. People would rather not play the game than pub, end of story.

Anybody there could pub, but they don't because the player and game quality sucks because public games are public, so better to spam in IRC than waste time in a pub..... unless you're really drunk.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    IRC private matching? Did I take a wrong turn at 2014 and accidentally walk into 1998?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options

There is no reason to care if you win or lose a public match. There is no teamwork to speak of at all, and there are always bads in the server. Random luck has more to do with it than skill. Playing in public games makes you a worse player and lowers your skills. There is no reason to do it. And there's no reason to give a damn win or lose.

Playing in private games means you don't have to deal with bad players, everyone is on voice communications, you can execute complex strategies and proper positional play, plus you will get better very quickly. If peoples set team isn't there, they loan out to another team, or join a pick up group... those are still private matches. It's not one or two, it's everyone who wants the superior quality of private games. I'm less militant about it than most, but I can find dozens of players just bullshitting in IRC because IRC is more fun than public matches. People would rather not play the game than pub, end of story.

Anybody there could pub, but they don't because the player and game quality sucks because public games are public, so better to spam in IRC than waste time in a pub..... unless you're really drunk.

This entire concept is completely foreign to me in the modern shooter market. I guess because I've played all my shooters on the 360/xbone recently what you express just reads like hieroglyphics.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    `
    IRC private matching? Did I take a wrong turn at 2014 and accidentally walk into 1998?

It never went away. How do you think dedicated teams find practice games against other teams on the fly? I can run into a channel and easily find a dozen other six mans looking for a match, and dozens of people without a group to fill in if my group is missing a guy, or join a team that needs a sub if I'm alone. Heck or pick a group on the fly to fight another group knowing everyone plays positions and agree on a plan before a match, and join a teamspeak server.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Well, for one thing being overly concerned about winning/losing and not acting like a dick in games are two entirely different things. Behaving poorly in a public matches doesn't help public matches. Not behaving poorly in public matches increases the odds of complex strategies, etc being done... especially when you can see that there are people in the match that are of like mind and are capable of doing such things. When people act in the way you describe, it's pretty much just self fulfilling prophecy.

Private matches may be the most awesomazing thing ever but their nature (private) means that the experience is worthless to the playerbase as a whole. It's also rather anecdotal...

Anyway, since we seem to be posting at each other instead of actually engaging in a dialogue, I'm going to stop. You enjoy your gated community or w/e, and for the sake of the PC players looking to get in public matches where people adhere to a better social contract... stay there. o_o

tastydonuts on
  • Options

Well, for one thing being overly concerned about winning/losing and not acting like a dick in games are two entirely different things. Behaving poorly in a public matches doesn't help public matches. Not behaving poorly in public matches increases the odds of complex strategies, etc being done... especially when you can see that there are people in the match that are of like mind and are capable of doing such things. When people act in the way you describe, it's pretty much just self fulfilling prophecy.

Private matches may be the most awesomazing thing ever but their nature (private) means that the experience is worthless to the playerbase as a whole. It's also rather anecdotal...

Anyway, since we seem to be posting at each other instead of actually engaging in a dialogue, I'm going to stop. You enjoy your gated community or w/e, and for the sake of the PC players looking to get in public matches where people adhere to a better social contract... stay there. o_o

I think you misunderstand trolling and tanking. I don't say anything when I pub. And I'll tank a match in an instant if we are stomping the other side, tanking often is simply abandoning my point. I can troll by picking crappy builds and curb stomping the same point. I'm not actively hurling insults.

And that high level play is impossible in pubs. The lack of voice comms, the certainty of at least one bad player, the lack of a strategy before the game all make high level play impossible. It requires some preparation and an environment which excludes new players and bad players. Everyone has to be a good player, on the same voice, organized and you need a few mins prior to the match to plan. If both teams aren't doing this, advanced play is impossible. Which is why people quit public servers and seek out private games, it's impossible to get that in a public server.

This always happens in team based games, people who want actual high level team work go to where it's possible.

• Options
    Yeah or... They could NOT do that and jump in on the Public servers and have a good time with the rest of us instead of acting like everyone in a public match is bad.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah or... They could NOT do that and jump in on the Public servers and have a good time with the rest of us instead of acting like everyone in a public match is bad.
    Public matches are always bad compared to private games. Which is why people quit pubbing outside of random games and go to private games. It's impossible to have a public game as good as a private one. Hence why so many of us will waste time in IRC or play another game before pubbing.

You don't like bad public matches, want team work, want all the players to be good, and want all your matches to be like this, private or bust.

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This entire concept is completely foreign to me in the modern shooter market. I guess because I've played all my shooters on the 360/xbone recently what you express just reads like hieroglyphics.

I can guarantee that isn't the reason it sounds weird to you. I haven't played an FPS on a console since MW2 and all this IRC private match stuff is foreign to me as well.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I can guarantee that isn't the reason it sounds weird to you. I haven't played an FPS on a console since MW2 and all this IRC private match stuff is foreign to me as well.

Ok thank you, I mean I know console players are the dumbed down kindergarten babies of shooter fans, but this all sounded like madness to me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    While you can troll players with verbal communication my posts weren't about that and what you describe isn't tanking (aka throwing a match), either. Throwing matches in a competitive game because "it's just teh pubs" is trolling. The same as pubstomping—not talking about beating a team 400-100 here, but beating them to the degree that they can't even get out of their spawn w/o being mowed down—is also another form of trolling a game. Along with mvp whoring, and a slew of other practices that intentionally invoke negative responses out of people and don't contribute to the health of the player community in a positive way. Hell, even spending entire matches hunting and kicking a single player to death repeatedly (which I've done from time to time) is a form of trolling. The guy that I did it to is now in a funk, he goes to another game maybe tries to do that or some other thing and it just generally makes for a bad experience for others, and if you are spending the majority of your time doing those things, well... yeah. You're helping make the community grow more toxic, and if you've reached the point when you're playing a game where you can only truly have fun in it at the expense of others, then quitting (or only playing privately) is probably a good thing for both you and that community.

But perhaps that wasn't what you were saying in your post where you say that pubbing is for trolling... so IDK.

Again though, this is going nowhere. The ideal that private matches are amazing and that everyone should arrange them is very important to you, I get that. But a game that new players come into and it's a dead zone (or filled with people that troll) and such is rarely a game that finds the support it needs to thrive... and while the Xbox One Titanfall community probably won't be as proportionally impacted by such things now given the lack of options, the PC arena doesn't have that dam, and it seems like that's starting to show, yes?

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Eh I always try my best to win unless I'm working towards a challenge. I hate being the shitty teammate. Can't always be helped as some of you have seen.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Even when I'm working on a challenge I'm trying to win. Well aside from when I'm using the pistols for killing, but even than thousand bee stings theorem!

Hell I've gotten better at using the chaingun as a shoot and scoot gun since I'm trying to do fresh squeezed and the chaingun challenges at the same time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    This Carbine challenge is definitely the easiest one. I feel like I could close my eyes, spin in a circle, and hold down the trigger, and still do great.

• Options
    Which challenge with the carbine? Oh any of them yeah. I don't think it was a surprise it was the gen that required gooser kills, because otherwise gen 5 would have been over before you even started.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    This Carbine challenge is definitely the easiest one. I feel like I could close my eyes, spin in a circle, and hold down the trigger, and still do great.

Sounds like a preview of your next video! :p

• Options
    Tribes Ascend started with just matchmaking and then introduced a server browser when they also introduced private matches. I think it worked well, and the game might actually still be fun if it wasn't abandoned.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I've actually found the Gen 9 Chaingun challenge to be the easiest. You need 400 crits (which sounds like a lot) but you can get 30-40 per Titan you fight pretty easily. I finished that challenge off by the time I was level 30 or so without even trying.