As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ahmnee wrote: »
    Is there still MERCHI?

Of course, that which is dead can never die.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Gat dang we murdered lots of scrubs this weekend. And reffed the western quarter of Etherium Reach.

Kind feels like things were in June 2016, in the last WWB, when things tipped over from us having to run away from overwhelming numbers all the time to hostiles starting to have to run away from us.

Hoping we can keep building on the momentum here.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my wormhole got a 1dq direct connection and the goons came in, reffed my home, and dropped a bunch of anti-PAPI propaganda depots around my astra

i.... don't know how to feel about this until i see if they come back for the armor tonight

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    my wormhole got a 1dq direct connection and the goons came in, reffed my home, and dropped a bunch of anti-PAPI propaganda depots around my astra

i.... don't know how to feel about this until i see if they come back for the armor tonight

UPDATE: apparently it was just one guy with a goon alt... who went through incredible lengths to make it appear as though a whole goon fleet reffed and anchored in my home... so that... I would wet myself? i dont know.

in any case I didn't wet myself and when their 12 man fleet came in to finish me off I beat the shit out of them and then sold them the hole on my terms for 7 bill.

there's easier ways to make a few bill profit but whatever I'm too busy for this shit

• Options
    The music videos just keep getting better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamVzWDQ3vg

• Options
    edited May 2021
    If you've been following the ongoing scuffle in 0.0 at all then... Tomorrow is going to be a very interesting day.

SAPI can try and get their Azbels in 3-D online or they can make sure that our Azbel in R10 doesn't online or they can defend the R10 ihub or they can defend the ihubs of the 11 systems in the southwest of Etherium reach that we reinforced yesterday.

Or...... they can try and do all of these things at the same time.

V1m on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Oh dude Empires of EVE 2 is out on e-reader! Finally!

• Options
    papi has hired NSH (confirmed) and snuffed (supposedly) to shore up their numbers (lol) in what seems like a last ditch effort to brute force into 1dq

please just let this shit end i want to play eve again thank you

• Options
    I was entertained to learn that several hundred papi pilots spent a considerable amount of time shooting the 1DQ Imperial Palace keepstar in heavy lag...

...on SiSi.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    So I finished the book, really good read, much like the first Empires of EVE. It's interesting how Goons basically took over the game...BoB in it's various forms dominated the storyline in volume 1, but volume 2 is all about the dominance of Goons.

Hopefully he keeps researching and writing these books! Almost makes me want to play EVE.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    a couple of weeks ago I started planning on doing blops as my Final Last Final Attempt to find something fun to do PVP-wise in the game, and as luck would have it they decided to massively buff blops this week. yay.

i even managed to buy a bunch of hulls on sale this morning before the prices fully spiked

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Really happy with my Sin that's been rotting in my hangar for 6 years :)

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    God, I remember dropping in with blops (I and 5 others) when they first came out. Was a lot of fun.

Scary to think how many years that's been at this point.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    EVE is old enough to vote now

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I've booted up EVE. Is there a cliffnotes version for someone that was shuffled out of MRCHI uh

*checks notes*

January 31st, 2016?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Pando interviewed CCP Rise yesterday, these interviews are pretty special as they tend to be prophetic and give an unusually close and accurate look at what CCP is thinking...

• - Sounds like Titan bridging is in the crosshairs for possible removal/rebalance down the road. Says they nearly deleted bridging from blops with this blops revision (no bridging at all and only the new filament behavior), and that titan bridging has similar theming/balance problems
    • - Allowing non-blops to conduct teleports, like T3Cs or T2 BCs is currently on the drawing board, at smaller ship counts than blops.
    • - Anti-cloaking thing apparently had targets other than just cloaky camping. They very much wanted to challenge non-cyno cloaky eyes, cloaky dictors in tactical situations, etc... conceptually I agree with this, but I find the implementation a bit ham-handed.
    • - They don't know how to implement risk in null basically. They sound completely lost. Their current posture is for things to be extremely safe on the theory that there would be no activity if it were anything but 100% safe.
    • - Sounds like they want to develop nullsec PVE content focused specifically on caps and supers (other than sotiyos, apparently)
    • - CSM used to be "extremely unprofessional" up until a year or two ago, to the point of being useless. Current group is pretty good and helpful.
    • - D-scan immunity for recons on the shit list for "old broken things to be redone"
    • - The devs REALLY dont like nullification and they were thinking of just deleting it entirely before they settled on making it a module
    • - They can't make edencom any cheaper anymore (for some reason??????????), so now they're just yolo buffing the fuck out of them until people have no choice but to use them. a cruiser with a T2 fit still costs almost a billion isk. lmao.
    • - They want to add a new ship line, either a new class of ship or a new pirate faction

My impression of this is that they're currently working through the most early possible phases of a null redesign... Rise flip flops between cordial and frustrated and contentious at the drop of a hat, seems like scarcity is taking its toll on them internally as well

• Options
    From someone who hasn't played in forever, a lot of that sounds terrible (after the first few bullets, anyways). Am I off?

• Options
    its kind of neither here nor there, which i would mark down as "bad"

they keep making mechanical progress... in terms of like... on-grid gameplay, the game has never been better... but in the face of that, the sandbox has never been in a worse place. so there's this paradox where they keep doing good things but it doesn't matter because the soul of the game is withering away, and they refuse to talk about it or do anything about it at all

if you exclude the "blackout" as an aberration, the player count hasn't been this low since the Bush administration... and that is during the biggest war in the history of the game and a massive influx of players from Asia that didn't exist 5 years ago

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    From the outside seems simple: They are afraid of pissing out the null whales, but they kind of have to since the current status quoe is stagnant. Which is the main problem with the recent conflict, that when all was said and done, the status quo didn't change that much.

It also explains their frustration with the CSM, since is just null whales and their mouthpieces asking for more and treating the whole thing as a paid vacatio, is not like the game dying is their problem.

There's the solution of just sending NPCs to split the territory of the null whales like they did with High Sec, but that requires a little more vision and courage.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    From the outside seems simple: They are afraid of pissing out the null whales,

but that is basically what they've spent all year doing. null has lost a lot. whats stunning is for everything they've lost, its clear it will never be enough to really matter

more urgently, they've designed a game built around capital ships, and now capitals are essentially unflyable in anything but an absolute dunk situation

citadels are not possible to assault with subcaps unless you have mid-scale alliance numbers at minimum... so the only people who can actually do stuff.... are numbered quite few, and most of them are already engaged

if you're a smaller group, say, one of about the size of a wow raid team, your options for content in EVE are very limited, mostly because citadels are so binary in power and now you can't even use capitals to force multiply

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    From the outside seems simple: They are afraid of pissing out the null whales, but they kind of have to since the current status quoe is stagnant. Which is the main problem with the recent conflict, that when all was said and done, the status quo didn't change that much.

It also explains their frustration with the CSM, since is just null whales and their mouthpieces asking for more and treating the whole thing as a paid vacatio, is not like the game dying is their problem.

There's the solution of just sending NPCs to split the territory of the null whales like they did with High Sec, but that requires a little more vision and courage.

From the inside it seems pretty simple too, and I agree with you.

Basically they lured a lot of people into making huge investments into rorquals and supercapitals, and not just ISK investments either, people bought a fucking LOT of real-money-store Skill Extractors to get into those ships in a hurry. And now it's very very difficult for CCP to debuff any further without really pissing those people off.

• Options
    conspicuous announcement tomorrow morning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGEPTIq5u3I

they don't do this very often, I think the last time they did it was for Edencom release...

• Options
    nevermind it was just for a new AT, so i cancelled my last 2 omegas

sweet freedom

• Options
    War update: the end is very close now.

Byzantium Endures.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I woke up my from slumber and got all my super caps moved to the right places. Lets see if they actually bring it to 1DQ or if this is all a wet fart.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Sharting ongoing right now, apparently

The woodchipper be hongry

Update: woodchipper has been fed

V1m on
  • Options
    MEANWHILE

• Options
    MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular

Last time I seriously played was back in ... 2013, joining BNI a month or two after they were created. Which gave me some of my greatest gaming memories to this day. They hold a special place in my heart.

Now they're in null sec slapping goons around?

What is this madness.

• Options
    brave is nothing more than a glorified test renter now, years of atrophy have thinned that group out pretty decisively.. so they must do whatever daddy vily tells them to

• Options
    MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    brave is nothing more than a glorified test renter now, years of atrophy have thinned that group out pretty decisively.. so they must do whatever daddy vily tells them to

Glad to see that the political smack talking hasent changed either.

So is this war as big of a deal as people say it is?

• Options
    Marslo wrote: »

Last time I seriously played was back in ... 2013, joining BNI a month or two after they were created. Which gave me some of my greatest gaming memories to this day. They hold a special place in my heart.

Now they're in null sec slapping goons around?

What is this madness.

Brave's days are numbered and the number is not a large one.
    Play big boy games, play by big boy rules.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    After feeding another Titans worth of subs to the angry cloud of bees, numerous strategic papi keeps began unanchoring in delve

ggwp

*Edit* PH and NC. Announce evac plans. It's over.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    After feeding another Titans worth of subs to the angry cloud of bees, numerous strategic papi keeps began unanchoring in delve

ggwp

*Edit* PH and NC. Announce evac plans. It's over.

Well

The end of the beginning

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Don't have the recording link on hand but the general TEST line member discussion after PGL's announcement was incredible. Someone please post.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2021
    It's not over. It may be over for some people (NC.), but it's not over for TEST or Brave until we say it is.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Marslo wrote: »

Glad to see that the political smack talking hasent changed either.

So is this war as big of a deal as people say it is?

It's been 13 months, with over 130k pilots invading our space. We've consistently had about 30k pilots active. So yeah, it was a huge deal. One of the biggest wars in EVE. The biggest if you go by material cost to both sides. Two of the biggest titan fights ever happened back to back earlier this year. 1000 v 1000 titan brawls where hundreds of titans died.

We (Goons) also just defended and won the defensive part of the war. Brave, sadly for them, are the first thing in our way of getting to TEST.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Don't have the recording link on hand but the general TEST line member discussion after PGL's announcement was incredible. Someone please post.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I managed to drag myself out of my ennui long enough to log in and logi in the final fight. 8/2/21, I was there when PAPI broke and failure cascaded in mere hours.

TEST IS NOW.

KiTA on
  • Options
    So from an ex-Eve Player who hasn't played since...god, Alliance Tournament V (where we did amazingly well until we got cocky), was the defense successful because the mechanics favor them too much or Goons were just that much better organized?

Somewhere in the middle?

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    So from an ex-Eve Player who hasn't played since...god, Alliance Tournament V (where we did amazingly well until we got cocky), was the defense successful because the mechanics favor them too much or Goons were just that much better organized?

Somewhere in the middle?

both. the mechanics favor them but also goons are in a position to actually take advantage of the mechanics.

mechanics:

- rapid onset TIDI at bloc scale
    - skynet supers
    - cyno jammers
    - bubblefucked gates with deployables

organization:

- Goons can flashform nearly 1,000 characters in any timezone to immediately deploy their defense with minimal mistakes while maintaining peak morale

Once PAPI decided to settle in T5Z and Frat went home, it became a war of morale and propaganda, which the goons were always going to win. They should have tried to headshot 1DQ much earlier in the campaign before the entire Imperium was collapsed into it.

Not saying this was the reason they lost but it was extremely naive of Vily to park the coalition in T5Z as if CCP wasn't going to put the kabosh on this war as soon as it wasn't pumping the numbers. I don't think it's any accident at all that the TTT nerf was announced along with the end of scarcity as part of the "we're sorry and we're going to do something about it" devblog post.