Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    A friend of a friend recently added me on facebook because I was willing to engage with him on various topics (he was linking "articles" about how the Fukushima Daiichi disaster was going to kill everyone in the northwest... and so he moved back to Georgia).

His ability to distinguish fact from fiction is just completely shot. Completely. He believes everything: chemtrails, fluoride poisoning, government conspiracy, alien technology, giants ???, suppressed history, everything.

I've gone through and provided evidence against all the linked stuff that he posted on my wall (except for the second link, which I don't know enough about to provide any info on), but I don't know if it had any effect.

I just... how do people live like that? It honestly feels like a mental illness or something, and I don't mean that in a disparaging way but more... how can someone's mental filter get so damaged? And is there anything that we can do about it, or are they just hopeless?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    A friend of a friend recently added me on facebook because I was willing to engage with him on various topics (he was linking "articles" about how the Fukushima Daiichi disaster was going to kill everyone in the northwest... and so he moved back to Georgia).

His ability to distinguish fact from fiction is just completely shot. Completely. He believes everything: chemtrails, fluoride poisoning, government conspiracy, alien technology, giants ???, suppressed history, everything.

I've gone through and provided evidence against all the linked stuff that he posted on my wall (except for the second link, which I don't know enough about to provide any info on), but I don't know if it had any effect.

I just... how do people live like that? It honestly feels like a mental illness or something, and I don't mean that in a disparaging way but more... how can someone's mental filter get so damaged? And is there anything that we can do about it, or are they just hopeless?

Giants is a new one for me.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Have you ever stopped and realized that in 200-300 years history classes will teach their students that people in 2014 believed this shit in the same sense that we got taught that Colombus thought the world was flat?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Mental illness is a safe bet.

But...since conspiracy theorists are generally harmless (except when they aren't) most people tolerate them and they rarely get the intervention they need. Of course, being a conspiracy theorist tends to isolate you from people who aren't conspiracy theorists, which becomes a self-perpetuating bubble.

Someone with illogical beliefs generally isn't going to be convinced with logic. When someone goes that far down the rabbit hole, they are for all intents and purposes in a cult.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So, Buzz Aldrin did an interview on reddit recently and I was introduced to a new one. The moon isn't real, it's a hologram.

You can Google for "holographic moon" and learn the truth for yourself! I was just now gathering a bunch of links in private browsing mode (because who wants to clog their browser history with a bunch of whackjob sites) and then the software crashed, which must be indicative of Them trying to stop me from the truth and not the fact that Firefox for Android is a buggy pile of crap.

That...really is a new one.

Particularly since that would mean that at some point there was no moon, and then HEY A MOON. Where'd that come from? Oh well, business as usual!

Or, depending on what version of the story you hear, the real moon was destroyed or removed in 2009 and replaced with the hologram then.

No word on why we still have tides, though.

It's just the flat earth 'slooshing' from the aftereffects of the real moon being destroyed, duh.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

I don't know exactly why but a lot of times people just move deeper and deeper into conspiracy nonsense. Believing one leads to believing in another.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Giants? Because sure, there definitely weren't faked shit all the time in Victorian era.

Dinosaurs on ancient rocks? Yeah because no one was finding skeletons of dinos until Victorian era.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Giants? Because sure, there definitely weren't faked shit all the time in Victorian era.

Dinosaurs on ancient rocks? Yeah because no one was finding skeletons of dinos until Victorian era.

tumblr_lcz88oiF9W1qdhvyro1_400.jpg

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

My "favorite" part about the giants article is where they take a National Geographic article describing the skulls of these elephant-like animals as maybe where the ancient Greeks got the cyclops idea from, and then claim that the skulls are actually cyclops skulls.

And at least one set of those ancient rocks was faked. As in, the guy who made them admitted to faking them. Naturally they were the ones that clearly looked like our current perception of dinosaurs.

The ability in Chrome to right-click an image and google it has made debunking this stuff so much easier.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    zagdrob wrote: »

Mental illness is a safe bet.

But...since conspiracy theorists are generally harmless (except when they aren't) most people tolerate them and they rarely get the intervention they need. Of course, being a conspiracy theorist tends to isolate you from people who aren't conspiracy theorists, which becomes a self-perpetuating bubble.

Someone with illogical beliefs generally isn't going to be convinced with logic. When someone goes that far down the rabbit hole, they are for all intents and purposes in a cult.

"In Freemasonry, the bee is a symbol of industry, obedience and rebirth"

Don't listen to this man he's trying to keep you from the TRUTH!

(I.E. you can find people saying anything about something somewhere on the internet.)

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Great catch and vid. You're right, what you think is going on is. Over the last few years the moon has been getting a lot of "upgrades" and they're trying to keep all of it hidden. I have thousands of still shots of the moon, there IS a lot up there! In fact, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a ton of alien structures up there. And in most of the shadowy areas there's a ton on structures right out in plain sight once you zoom in on them. The hologram images are converted film footage from specific angels from earth and mainly used during full phase.

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Great catch and vid. You're right, what you think is going on is. Over the last few years the moon has been getting a lot of "upgrades" and they're trying to keep all of it hidden. I have thousands of still shots of the moon, there IS a lot up there! In fact, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a ton of alien structures up there. And in most of the shadowy areas there's a ton on structures right out in plain sight once you zoom in on them. The hologram images are converted film footage from specific angels from earth and mainly used during full phase.

:|

7kZ562z.jpg

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Oh, okay. So there is a moon, but in order to keep the aliens secret, we have to holo-project a fake moon on top of the real moon. Makes sense

• Options
    On the bright side, looking up all of the moon hologram stuff has led me to a bunch of amateur astromoners on YouTube with incredible set-ups for moon watching.

Holy shit, personal telescopes have come a long way.

(And holy shit, the moon is beat the Hell up)

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh, okay. So there is a moon, but in order to keep the aliens secret, we have to holo-project a fake moon on top of the real moon. Makes sense

...at this point, the Cathedral Terra concept makes more sense.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Yeah; you see, obviously, NASA does not want us to know about the real aliens on the moon, because if there were real aliens on the moon then NASA would get all the funding all of the time and become the pillar of--

Wait

What

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Yeah; you see, obviously, NASA does not want us to know about the real aliens on the moon, because if there were real aliens on the moon then NASA would get all the funding all of the time and become the pillar of--

Wait

What

Nah, NASA would be disbanded and Earth would start the XCOM project.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Wait

What

Considering the speed at which XCOM comes up with and perfects entirely new technologies, I don't see this as a particularly bad thing.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Wait

What

Considering the speed at which XCOM comes up with and perfects entirely new technologies, I don't see this as a particularly bad thing.
    XCOM was secretly infiltrated by HYDRA from the planning stages.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So I followed the rabbit hole through YouTube, going through videos of the holographic moon, which led to the sky being an LCD screen, which led to unexplained sounds in the sky, which led to HAARP, which eventually led to my favorite one of all:

Project Blue Beam

Step One: Establish a new world religion by using HAARP Earthquake Weapons to trigger a set of earthquakes around the world, leading to the "discovery" of fake religious doctrines, disproving all other religions and setting up a new world religion.

Step Two: Using HAARP again, project a holographic display into every sky into the world, AND, by using the technology we have and rely on today (cell phones, computers, subliminal messages in TV) show you your preferred religious deity, speaking in your own language, no matter where you are. All of these holographic deities will then merge into the Antichrist.
    The United Nations plans to use Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" as the anthem for the introduction of the new age one world religion

Step Three: Beam the voice of whatever God one formerly worshiped directly into their heads. I'm not sure what this step does. I've watched a few videos, and read a few things, and they pretty much all say "it's too complex to explain, so do your own research!"

Step Four: Here's the good part, because Step Four has several sub-steps - Make the world believe that an alien invasion is about to occur at every major city on earth. Then, for some reason, also make everybody believe the Rapture is happening. Then, beam suicidal and schizophrenic thoughts into everybody's head, making them believe demons are roaming the earth. Which will then finally convince the world to believe in the New World Order.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Kind of an unnerving Awesome there, Geth.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

Wait

What
    Don't worry - NASA is secretly hiding the aliens we found on the moon while simultaneously faking the moon landings.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE.

• Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    So I followed the rabbit hole through YouTube, going through videos of the holographic moon, which led to the sky being an LCD screen, which led to unexplained sounds in the sky, which led to HAARP, which eventually led to my favorite one of all:

Project Blue Beam

Step One: Establish a new world religion by using HAARP Earthquake Weapons to trigger a set of earthquakes around the world, leading to the "discovery" of fake religious doctrines, disproving all other religions and setting up a new world religion.

Step Two: Using HAARP again, project a holographic display into every sky into the world, AND, by using the technology we have and rely on today (cell phones, computers, subliminal messages in TV) show you your preferred religious deity, speaking in your own language, no matter where you are. All of these holographic deities will then merge into the Antichrist.
    The United Nations plans to use Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" as the anthem for the introduction of the new age one world religion

Step Three: Beam the voice of whatever God one formerly worshiped directly into their heads. I'm not sure what this step does. I've watched a few videos, and read a few things, and they pretty much all say "it's too complex to explain, so do your own research!"

Step Four: Here's the good part, because Step Four has several sub-steps - Make the world believe that an alien invasion is about to occur at every major city on earth. Then, for some reason, also make everybody believe the Rapture is happening. Then, beam suicidal and schizophrenic thoughts into everybody's head, making them believe demons are roaming the earth. Which will then finally convince the world to believe in the New World Order.

Seems like the most reasonable explanation for why the sky is blue to me.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Isn't step four literally the climax of the Watchmen comics?

• Options
    Only if they also dump an explosive squid monster onto New York City.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Well, yeah, about the only way to convince that many people that an alien invasion is imminent is to produce the vanguard.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

I don't know, is this in the comic?
    The book detailed the theory. In the 1994 lecture, Monast detailed what would happen afterwards.[4]
    All people will be required to take an oath to Lucifer with a ritual initiation to enter the New World Order. Resisters will be categorised as follows:
    Christian children will be kept for human sacrifice or sexual slaves.
    Prisoners to be used in medical experiments.
    Prisoners to be used as living organ banks.
    Healthy workers in slave labour camps.
    Uncertain prisoners in the international re-education center, thence to repent on television and learn to glorify the New World Order.
    The international execution centre.
    An as yet unknown seventh classification.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

I don't know, is this in the comic?
    The book detailed the theory. In the 1994 lecture, Monast detailed what would happen afterwards.[4]
    All people will be required to take an oath to Lucifer with a ritual initiation to enter the New World Order. Resisters will be categorised as follows:
    Christian children will be kept for human sacrifice or sexual slaves.
    Prisoners to be used in medical experiments.
    Prisoners to be used as living organ banks.
    Healthy workers in slave labour camps.
    Uncertain prisoners in the international re-education center, thence to repent on television and learn to glorify the New World Order.
    The international execution centre.
    Hail Hydra.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I love bible fan fiction.

Also for some reason I find it really hilarious that the hologram conspiracy guy used the old-timey phrase "wouldn't be able to swing a dead cat" to describe an over-abundance of secret space upgrades to the moon hologram.

It's like hearing a chimney sweep call 9/11 an inside job.

Also with all that mind zapping and god holograms...exhausting, if I was lucifer I'd just trigger all our nukes or raise the earths temperature slightly or something. Sheesh, it's like a fucking Rube Goldberg machine apocalypse.

http://youtu.be/PlsW2hd06R0

Prohass on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    K.I.S.S
    Keep It Simple, Satan!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    K.I.S.S
    Keep It Simple, Satan!

That's the angle - Satan is doing a big mindfuck on the conspiracy theorists. * cue X-Files music*

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    One time me and my buddies were drinking. L claims that the illuminati is real. S jokingly pulls out his iphone and asks Siri what the illuminati is. S's iphone promptly turns itself off, never to work again.

• Options
    Can satan come up with a plan so silly, even conspiracy theorists won't believe it?

Also, awesome idea for a game. Someone comes up with a ridiculous conspiracy premise, like, the oceans are holograms. Then everyone has to come up with who's behind the conspiracy, and why. The drinking game version comes when everyone drinks because of how depressing it is to realise that there is nothing so ridiculous that you can't imagine someone believing it.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Can satan come up with a plan so silly, even conspiracy theorists won't believe it?

Also, awesome idea for a game. Someone comes up with a ridiculous conspiracy premise, like, the oceans are holograms. Then everyone has to come up with who's behind the conspiracy, and why. The drinking game version comes when everyone drinks because of how depressing it is to realise that there is nothing so ridiculous that you can't imagine someone believing it.

No.

• Options
    edited July 2014

No.
    Jesus wins by default! DE-FAULT DE-FAULT!

Also I teach high school history, it's amazing how much teens LOVE conspiracy theories. I've done my best to teach them simple ways to explore complex ideas like Occam's razor and encourage other basic kinds of critical thinking with various tips and tricks, but they just eat conspiracy theories up. They also love to tell me about them because they know how much I hate conspiracy theories (or how easily it distracts me from class plans).

I've managed to dissuade them (or more accurately, as a good teacher, have them seriously research and dissuade themselves) from the egregious ones like truthers and chemtrails, but they cling to the illuminati pretty hard, especially in regards to rappers and singers and such.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No.

Also I teach high school history, it's amazing how much teens LOVE conspiracy theories. I've done my best to teach them simple ways to explore complex ideas like Occam's razor and encourage other basic kinds of critical thinking tips and tricks, but they just eat conspiracy theories up. They also love to tell me about them because they know how much I hate conspiracy theories (or how easily it distracts me from class plans).

I've managed to dissuade them (or more accurately, as a good teacher, have them seriously research and dissuade themselves) from the egregious ones like truthers and chemtrails, but they cling to the illuminati pretty hard, especially in regards to rappers and singers and such.

The illuminati theory is like a gateway drug to conspiracy theorists. It's easy to believe powerful groups with hidden agendas exist, there's the weird cults like the Freemasons and the Knight Templars who were like the Illuminati's uncle in the past to ground into an ancient conspiracy background and it's not too weird like aliens and ghosts. They're also popular with the media for characters to work for (Hellsing) and against (X-Files).

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    This New Wod Order must be pretty terrible if it requires pretend jesuses for everyone

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No.

Also I teach high school history, it's amazing how much teens LOVE conspiracy theories. I've done my best to teach them simple ways to explore complex ideas like Occam's razor and encourage other basic kinds of critical thinking with various tips and tricks, but they just eat conspiracy theories up. They also love to tell me about them because they know how much I hate conspiracy theories (or how easily it distracts me from class plans).

My niece gets into a lot of this stuff, too. I've managed to contain the damage to some extent, just a few days ago I had to prove to her that the guy from Fast and Furious is really dead and it wasn't a viral marketing stunt, and a few months ago I finally got her to understand why people affected by incomprehensible tragedies sometimes act weird on camera. But what's in my feed today but an article from the National Report about mandatory RFID chipping in public schools and how she's trying to get her parents to switch her to a charter school.

I really wish her friends would go back to establishing popularity based on who you think Bella should sleep with, I didn't have to deal with this shit when sparkle vampires were still popular.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

No.

I'm almost certain at this point some portion of the music video creation industry is playing a joke on the people who are up in the air about Illuminati symbolism.

Initially it was just some random crap they threw in a video and it's just gotten to the point where it's fun for them to fit a bunch of it in to get a rise out of the whack nuts on the internet.

Edit: "I'm almost certain" really means "I'd like to think, because it's funny," in my head.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Also with all that mind zapping and god holograms...exhausting, if I was lucifer I'd just trigger all our nukes or raise the earths temperature slightly or something. Sheesh, it's like a fucking Rube Goldberg machine apocalypse.
    Turns out the devil is a big fan of the Final Destination movies.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
This discussion has been closed.