As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Factorio - Strike the earth! (with automated mining drills)

1252627282931»

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    So The Riftbreaker just released where it's basically Factorio in a mech suit. Main difference is a slightly less complicated logistics portion and much more prevalent PVE portion, not to mention 1000x sharper graphics.

10% off release sale

It's also out in Game Pass.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    So The Riftbreaker just released where it's basically Factorio in a mech suit. Main difference is a slightly less complicated logistics portion and much more prevalent PVE portion, not to mention 1000x sharper graphics.

10% off release sale

It's also out in Game Pass.

That's the team that did X-Morph: Defense, which was super fun. They've got a good line in explosions/shit being on fire/general destruction.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So, I recently got Factorio, and it's better than I was expecting.
    I normally have trouble completing builds in construction games, but this game seems to be doing a good job at holding my attention on the next thing, and the next thing, without explicitly laying it all out.

Still on the first game, so my base is a glorious mess.
    Going for bullet-only, no terrain clearing, no logistic bots.
    The latter not really saying much, as my mall output chests feed into a runner train, and I can just request whatever I need from anywhere on my track, so long as I've run my signal wire.
    Also got my sushi train research labs.
    And my other dumb but still great things like the overwrought oil cracking factory, the sea of solar panels and the second smelting block that was supposed to process stone and steel, but instead has spoiled furnaces with not enough iron in them.

Just connected purple juice up, so the next thing has to be the yellow juice, but that might have to come to the research labs by train at this point.
    Unless I reclaim space from my starting exhausted mine sites...

• Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Been playing this for the past few weeks. It's going well, albeit slow. Just passed the 90 hour mark on this save and, while I have the first 6 sciences hooked up, I haven't progressed too far past that. I've been prepping for power armor mk.2 for the past 3-5 nights. Have to get modules going, which means massively increasing chip production, so I've been securing patches and expanding/fortifying my perimeter for the inevitable increase in pollution.

My power network is so weird. I have 3.6k solar panels, but a lot of them are in scouting nodes I've been plopping down, then later hooking into the network. Each node contains the same 25/21 tile that I use for my solar fields, just surrounded by walls and turrets, so the power balance stays the same. It's just they were placed so randomly that connecting them is tricky. I keep adding more to fill the gaps, removing redundant radars, making for a very uneven perimeter wall. That said, I'm almost done clearing out a huge area of nests.

Any recs for games in a similar vein that are complete? I have DSP, but I'm waiting for 1.0 to dive into it, because I have a habit of getting burned out on EA games and not feeling like playing the full release. Just found out that Mindustry was free on Android, so I DL'd that.

Edit: You know what scratch that. I'm already not getting enough sleep.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Been playing this for the past few weeks. It's going well, albeit slow. Just passed the 90 hour mark on this save and, while I have the first 6 sciences hooked up, I haven't progressed too far past that. I've been prepping for power armor mk.2 for the past 3-5 nights. Have to get modules going, which means massively increasing chip production, so I've been securing patches and expanding/fortifying my perimeter for the inevitable increase in pollution.

My power network is so weird. I have 3.6k solar panels, but a lot of them are in scouting nodes I've been plopping down, then later hooking into the network. Each node contains the same 25/21 tile that I use for my solar fields, just surrounded by walls and turrets, so the power balance stays the same. It's just they were placed so randomly that connecting them is tricky. I keep adding more to fill the gaps, removing redundant radars, making for a very uneven perimeter wall. That said, I'm almost done clearing out a huge area of nests.

Any recs for games in a similar vein that are complete? I have DSP, but I'm waiting for 1.0 to dive into it, because I have a habit of getting burned out on EA games and not feeling like playing the full release. Just found out that Mindustry was free on Android, so I DL'd that.

So there's Satisfactory of course, and then a few others come to mind.

The first and most obvious recommendation is modded Minecraft, from which the idea for Factorio arose. There's even a Factorio-inspired modpack, Manufactio, you could try. I found that the Omnifactory modpack scratched a similar itch to Factorio as well, but that's sort of a whole different can of worms.

If the train networks and routing and such appeal to you, I suggest OpenTTD. It's an open-source remake of the classic Transport Tycoon Deluxe from the early 90's, free to download on Steam. There's also a modding community for it that can expand the game in quite a few ways, such as adding more complex industry chains or adding historical vehicles.

Likewise, the game Sweet Transit (which isn't out yet, but is scheduled for a 2022 release) seems like it'll be something of a cross between Factorio and OpenTTD. I know you said "no" to Early Access games, but no reason not to put it on your wishlist.

• Options
    I actually need to sit down and learn train signals. I have trains, but they're all on their own individual lines, so signals haven't been necessary. After watching some mega base tours and seeing what can be done with them, it's definitely on the list of things to do, somewhere below automating more than just the rails.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Is there a way of shift-dragging and laying down a bunch of long-distance electricity towers with signal wires already attached?
    I feel like I should be able to just drag it across the environment without gigantic blueprints.

discrider on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Not with wires attached, no. Not without a mod. You can make a blueprint of a couple of poles and drag that fairly well though

Also slightly relatedly I feel obligated to point out blueprints can be placed from the map screen

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Blueprints seem to be so slow though.

I'd like to be able to run signal wire to new train stations while driving my train there (after running track).
    I can at least shift drag electricity out there at full speed, but signal wire, I have to go slowly and click each pole, which makes it harder to plonk down a constant signal at the new station before sending the train back to get more stuff for the station for me.

discrider on
  • Options
    ... I think I'm just starting to run into pollution issues.
    My second iron mining site might be pulling too much stuff out of the ground, and I'm only just starting to see trees dying and some concerning rates of alien growth.

Hoping I can get to artillery before I need to worry about actually needing walls.

• Options
    My defenses seem to be holding, thanks to my upgraded expansion block. Biggest issue is I'm not producing laser turrets fast enough. Fortunately, I just made a dedicated chip facility and a train system to bring them to the base. That, along with my expanded chemical production, should allow me to move my factory to the next stage. The rocket silo has been researched for a while, but I knew I wasn't bringing in enough of everything to work on it.

The feeling of tearing down old defenses, to make room for new buildings, is an odd one. Sure, you probably don't need them anymore, and anything that can get through the perimeter is unlikely to care about a few gun turrets, but a breach could be devastating...I should get artillery up as well.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

10% off release sale

Whereas if you want far blunter graphics, less PvE, and more scriptable robots: Autonauts might be the answer:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979120/Autonauts/

In terms of content, it's more about providing for a colony of weird giant babies and maintaining their increasingly complicated food/shelter/clothing/entertainment needs to produce the rough equivalent of beakers.

But gameplay-wise it's about hundreds of scriptable robots making robots making robots to support the sprawling logistics chain necessary to funnel an entire continents worth of resources into a dozen or so blackholes of neediness.

(There is some kind of PVE mode where aliens attack you, but I never checked it out)

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

If the train networks and routing and such appeal to you, I suggest OpenTTD. It's an open-source remake of the classic Transport Tycoon Deluxe from the early 90's, free to download on Steam. There's also a modding community for it that can expand the game in quite a few ways, such as adding more complex industry chains or adding historical vehicles.

My 3yo kid doesn't like me playing Factories.
    Only Trains.

That said, in OpenTTD it's always a matter of 'How many trains can I put on the same track before they get hopelessly lost and stuck in some dead-end branch'.

I'm appreciating just being able to put the station 'Siding' everywhere in Factorio, and having my trains route through those to fix traffic snarls though.
    Also got the station 'Through to base' to get around my ore smelter and plastic refinery snarl.
    Next thing is to build some more Sidings at said ore smelter so the Copper and Iron trains don't wait on the track any more.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    discrider wrote: »

Only Trains.

That said, in OpenTTD it's always a matter of 'How many trains can I put on the same track before they get hopelessly lost and stuck in some dead-end branch'.

I'm appreciating just being able to put the station 'Siding' everywhere in Factorio, and having my trains route through those to fix traffic snarls though.
    Also got the station 'Through to base' to get around my ore smelter and plastic refinery snarl.
    Next thing is to build some more Sidings at said ore smelter so the Copper and Iron trains don't wait on the track any more.

You want more train fun, check this out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1612770/Sweet_Transit/

https://youtu.be/VAmj-GGTZdE

Also since I don't think we have a Satisfactory thread here, they continue to polish the landscape.

https://youtu.be/d6sWvgYgayk

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Only Trains.

You want more train fun, check this out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1612770/Sweet_Transit/

https://youtu.be/VAmj-GGTZdE

Also since I don't think we have a Satisfactory thread here, they continue to polish the landscape.

https://youtu.be/d6sWvgYgayk

We actually do! It's just a bit dusty:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/234623/satisfactory-fps-factorio-coming-to-steam-soon

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I had the strangest thing happen. I noticed that my steel line had dried up, so I went to check on it and found red circuits in the smelting area. Followed the line back and the only thing that looks like it could possibly make that happen is part of the underground belts that bring the ore touch a couple of red circuit machines. They're setup to deposit into provider chests, so I don't know why they would instead drop onto the belt. Either moving the belts or the machines should fix it, but I'm wondering if this is an intended/exploitable mechanic. Could reduce the number of inserters needed and lead to some really compact designs.

• Options
    I had the strangest thing happen. I noticed that my steel line had dried up, so I went to check on it and found red circuits in the smelting area. Followed the line back and the only thing that looks like it could possibly make that happen is part of the underground belts that bring the ore touch a couple of red circuit machines. They're setup to deposit into provider chests, so I don't know why they would instead drop onto the belt. Either moving the belts or the machines should fix it, but I'm wondering if this is an intended/exploitable mechanic. Could reduce the number of inserters needed and lead to some really compact designs.

Without a picture to see the exact setup, I can't diagnose the problem, but you probably have an inserter turned the wrong way. Might have inadvertently hit "R" while just walking around or something.

• Options
    It's way over on the right, where the train is parked. The ore was coming from the belt in the middle of the cargo wagons. No inserters are even in a position to load onto the belt.

• Options
    Post the save file? Belts can't deposit into machines or chests and vice versa, that's an inserters job. Could also have been a full chest getting broken or picked up when you had a full inventory and some of that ending up on the ore belt?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I'll check when I get home. I picked up everything that was in the smelting area, but they were still trickling in. The ore patch that went there is almost depleted, so if it was a spill I'd expect more than a single chip every few seconds. It might be one of the assemblers all the way to right, under the map, but the positioning doesn't look right for that.

I wouldn't be opposed to tearing that area down. I went through the effort of making sure the unloading was even, then undermined it by using bots. I just wasn't sure how much space I'd need for dealing with that uranium.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    It's also possible that a belt is pointing the wrong way and dumping items through the sides/back of the underground belt.

• Options
    Turns out there were long inserters in spots that were supposed to be fast inserters. One of them was placing chips into the belt.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Also slightly relatedly I feel obligated to point out blueprints can be placed from the map screen

Back on this..
    I'm sort of running out of ideas as to how this would help.
    Aside the smelters, mines, and like generic stations, and I guess barrel loading/unloading chunks, I'm having a hard time thinking of places where copy/pasting chunks of my factory makes sense (in the first playthrough; if blueprints are preserved between saves, then it will be so much easier in the later saves).

The layout of each factory is largely determined by the recipes contained within them.
    I'm finding it hard to imagine how one layout could be transferred and retooled.
    At least on a big enough scale that placing it via the map makes sense.

.. Unless maybe I need a second factory of a type.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Back on this..
    I'm sort of running out of ideas as to how this would help.
    Aside the smelters, mines, and like generic stations, and I guess barrel loading/unloading chunks, I'm having a hard time thinking of places where copy/pasting chunks of my factory makes sense (in the first playthrough; if blueprints are preserved between saves, then it will be so much easier in the later saves).

The layout of each factory is largely determined by the recipes contained within them.
    I'm finding it hard to imagine how one layout could be transferred and retooled.
    At least on a big enough scale that placing it via the map makes sense.

.. Unless maybe I need a second factory of a type.

If you want to, oh, set up a power and rail line to a new train outpost without leaving your base you can do that. Even if you don't go full bot having the rails and power pre planned then you just drive along while your personal bots build shit is great.

(Also yes blueprints are saved between games)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Eh..
    Bots are too slow for that (without going full bot, I'm assuming I can go full replicator if I just built roboports).
    I just drive down the track in the track editor, do a fly-by with power at full speed, and then go back for signal wire.
    If I did that by personal bot, I'd be better off walking the line.

Maybe if/when these bots get faster.

I -should- be making a giant solar panel blanket..
    Although the bots only like going 3 panels deep there.
    So I wouldn't be able to use it.

• Options
    I've finally launched a rocket. A few of them, actually. Now I'm torn on what to do next. Part of me wants to tear down just about everything and rebuild it to blue belt capacity. Another part feels like my available resources aren't enough to support that kind of factory for long.
    I've expanded the walls and have several unmined patches within my borders, but the largest of those are ~17 million. My previous largest patch is some copper that started around 10 mil and is now below 6. That's with 4 other patches(2 copper, 2 iron) being used exclusively for green circuits and things not running nearly as fast as they could be.
    I suppose I could rebuild/redesign, then copy over the new designs to the next factory, in a much richer territory.

• Options
    I've finally launched a rocket. A few of them, actually. Now I'm torn on what to do next. Part of me wants to tear down just about everything and rebuild it to blue belt capacity. Another part feels like my available resources aren't enough to support that kind of factory for long.
    I've expanded the walls and have several unmined patches within my borders, but the largest of those are ~17 million. My previous largest patch is some copper that started around 10 mil and is now below 6. That's with 4 other patches(2 copper, 2 iron) being used exclusively for green circuits and things not running nearly as fast as they could be.
    I suppose I could rebuild/redesign, then copy over the new designs to the next factory, in a much richer territory.

As you start researching mining efficiency, your patches will start to last longer and longer, and you'll need fewer drills to fill each belt.

• Options
    That's true. I'm more concerned about getting to that point. It takes more launches/materials for each new tier of research. I did a tally of my untapped resources, which put me at more at ease. 82.2 mil iron and 73.6 mil copper. Coal and stone are in a good place and I haven't touched uranium. I do need to start bringing in more oil.

I definitely need to rebuild. Everything is too compact and there's very little room for beacons. Most of my train lines were built before I knew how rail signals worked.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Is there a mod that allows some kind of construction drone scripting?

One of the endgame goals I've never gotten around to is making construction rail line that delivers drones and mine parts to mining sites I slapped a blueprint on; but it would be even cooler if you could set a trigger (no ore left) to then have the drones dismantle the site and ship the parts back.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    There is a mod that allows entire automated base construction. For what you want I think automated blueprints will do? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/recursive-blueprints It will let you deploy a blueprint based on circuit conditions. So make a deconstruction blueprint that fits your mine, set it to be deployed when ore is out.

also adds a handy scanner building that detects what resources are in a given area.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    There is a mod that allows entire automated base construction. For what you want I think automated blueprints will do? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/recursive-blueprints It will let you deploy a blueprint based on circuit conditions. So make a deconstruction blueprint that fits your mine, set it to be deployed when ore is out.

also adds a handy scanner building that detects what resources are in a given area.

They had me at deconstruction, but the possibility of scripting slimemold-like self expanding rail network is blowing my mind a little bit.

Gradually expanding in a given direction until it hits an obstacle, dropping off test mine sites to probe for food, cleaning up dead ends that terminated and haven't returned any resources.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Getting the itch to factory again. Wondering whether I should do a vanilla (or Kras2) run to reacclimate or jump into Space Exploration or AngelBob.

Also do I want to bring AAI Vehicles again? I love playing RTS in Factorio but the movement AI is kinda derpy but they added an armored artillery boat

Oh, ALT-F4 had a recent article comparing SpEx, AB and Industrial Revolution 2.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    Getting the itch to factory again. Wondering whether I should do a vanilla (or Kras2) run to reacclimate or jump into Space Exploration or AngelBob.

Also do I want to bring AAI Vehicles again? I love playing RTS in Factorio but the movement AI is kinda derpy but they added an armored artillery boat

Oh, ALT-F4 had a recent article comparing SpEx, AB and Industrial Revolution 2.

If you want a vanilla-ish but different, try the various Bz mods. He's got individual mods that add a smelting system, lead, silica, natural gas, aluminum, titanium, etc etc so you can mix and match to get the level of variety you want.

• Options
    I've tried IR2 with Krastorio and also just Krastorio, and both times my interest sort of petered out. Not sure why. I think it might have had to do with not knowing if I was making enough of anything, though. I got into Factorio after watching other people play through most of it, so I had an inkling about the sort of endgame scaling I'd need. But mods add so many more parts and they all need to get bussed and it feels overwhelming in a bad way.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I decided to try just IR2 plus a couple QOL mods. Been interesting so far, though it has been very difficult handling biter nests before unlocking the car and machine gun (both of which burn through ammo super fast).
    I've tried IR2 with Krastorio and also just Krastorio, and both times my interest sort of petered out. Not sure why. I think it might have had to do with not knowing if I was making enough of anything, though. I got into Factorio after watching other people play through most of it, so I had an inkling about the sort of endgame scaling I'd need. But mods add so many more parts and they all need to get bussed and it feels overwhelming in a bad way.

Can't say I've found it necessary to bus every part, particularly the ones that "inflate" one item into multiples. Don't need a whole belt for copper wires when I can just branch off my copper ingots into assemblers for the wires wherever I need them.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh god the UPS on large bases would be horrible haha