Options

Factorio - Strike the earth! (with automated mining drills)

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So after getting into the laser turrets, I have to wonder why gun turrets are even in the game. Laser turrets deal more damage and have a MASSIVE range compared to gun turrets, the power cost isn't even that severe, and they don't even require resupplying with bullets. Level 1 laser turrets are better than something like Level 4-5 gun turrets with 3-4 levels of firing speed upgrades; easily, easily worth the minor increase in bug attacks from poulltion to generate enough power to just use laser turrets everywhere.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So after getting into the laser turrets, I have to wonder why gun turrets are even in the game. Laser turrets deal more damage and have a MASSIVE range compared to gun turrets, the power cost isn't even that severe, and they don't even require resupplying with bullets. Level 1 laser turrets are better than something like Level 4-5 gun turrets with 3-4 levels of firing speed upgrades; easily, easily worth the minor increase in bug attacks from poulltion to generate enough power to just use laser turrets everywhere.

Because it takes a while to get there, and I dunno about you, but my base was big enough in the interrim that I REALLY appreciated having boring ol' regular gun turrets to help keep the meanies away.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Gun turrets are also rather nice in being self-sufficient. Whack a few down, surround them in walls then pack in a stack of magazines. There, off the grid, no soft spots for them to get shut down before their time and they'll keep on fighting until they blow up or run out of ammo.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Oh god, there's an OSX version.

I have my Macbook at work with me right now.

I'm in some real trouble here.

• Options
    Or, I would be, if I was more familiar with installing stuff on OSX. >.>

Yeah, I've had this laptop two years and I've installed one thing on it.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    @Nova_C you should buy it soon

price is going up at the end of the month!

• Options
    I bought it last night, of course.

• Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    Agreed on the laser turrets. Their biggest problem isn't even ammo consumption, its that large biters are practically immune to even the tier 2 ammo. I've seen one sit their and tank several gun turrets without taking visible damage. Same for a highly upgraded machine gun with tier 2 ammo. Laser turrets kill them quickly, as does the rocket launcher.

This is an area where the game being in alpha really shows. More variety in the enemies would make gun turrets viable into the late game. Make a biter that shrugs off laser fire. In fact there is probably already a mod that does exactly that, I haven't delved into mods yet because I haven't gotten bored after about 150 hours in the base game. I know there is a mod that adds a ranged attack biter, that could really shake things up.

• Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    Blame not the poor gun turret, damage is decided by ammunition after all. Keep in mind that the game isn't complete. I wouldn't be surprised if they added more ammo to keep it relevant. I'm thinking phosphorous rounds might make an appearance.

• Options
    Every time I close my eyes I just see conveyor belts. moving in every direction, woven around eachother.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I just can't get the hang of conveyor belts. How do I set up something so I can use both sides of the belt?

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    What the hell is up with the third campaign mission?
    I'm not here to kite biters with a vehicle made of cardboard. I'm here to build factories.
    Is there a trick to solving it easy? Can I maybe skip it?

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Echo wrote: »
    I just can't get the hang of conveyor belts. How do I set up something so I can use both sides of the belt?
    Inserters place items on the part of the conveyor belt furthest from them. Put a splitter on the belt on the side furthest from where items are being placed, then add another conveyor piece that feeds the splitter items right back onto the original belt. They'll add to the empty part of the track, because that's the closest spot they come in on. Voila, double-stacked tracks!

So this:

Splitter -->Conveyor feeding into belt above
    ...will get you this:

Items---->
    Items---->

It may seem aggravating at first, but when you start getting up there in production, having two item "lanes" on belts is a huuuuuuuuge help.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular

Either load the belt from both sides(inserters always put an item on the far side of the belt), or you can use a splitter and immediately refeed the items back onto the same belt on the empty side.

So if you had items on the left side of the belt going North you would set it like this.

[^]
    [^][<]
    [^][^]
    [^]
    [^]
    [^]
    [^]

The splitter would leave half the items on the left side and put the other half into the splitter which would then put them on the right side of the belt.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

If you want to put two products onto a belt then you need to do a merge something like
    [^^]
    [12]
    [12]
    [^^]
    [12][<2][2][2][2]
    [1_][<2][2][2][2]
    [1_]
    [^_]
    [1_]

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    This game is fun, but I am terrible at it.
    Research is bottle-necking me really badly.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Every time I close my eyes I just see conveyor belts. moving in every direction, woven around eachother.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

if I said I hadn't dreamed about conveyor belts a couple times recently, I'd be lying.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    doublepost, ignore

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Okay, finally got it working on my Macbook Air (Damn Intel HD5000. This is why I only play games on my desktop!).

First map had no stone as far as the eye could see.

Second map had no coal as far as the eye could see.

Hm.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    bamjo wrote: »
    Agreed on the laser turrets. Their biggest problem isn't even ammo consumption, its that large biters are practically immune to even the tier 2 ammo. I've seen one sit their and tank several gun turrets without taking visible damage. Same for a highly upgraded machine gun with tier 2 ammo. Laser turrets kill them quickly, as does the rocket launcher.

This is an area where the game being in alpha really shows. More variety in the enemies would make gun turrets viable into the late game. Make a biter that shrugs off laser fire. In fact there is probably already a mod that does exactly that, I haven't delved into mods yet because I haven't gotten bored after about 150 hours in the base game. I know there is a mod that adds a ranged attack biter, that could really shake things up.

Burrowers would make running off ammo instead of power very useful. It'd suck to have your defenses shut down because the power lines got chewed up.

• Options
    Automating blue research is a bit of a bitch isn't it?

Doesn't help that I had to set up the production for oil/petrogas/sulfer/plastic/battery/etc far from my centralized location.

• Options

Doesn't help that I had to set up the production for oil/petrogas/sulfer/plastic/battery/etc far from my centralized location.

Also, you can never, never have too much electronic circuit capacity when doing blue research.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, just been playing around at work trying to get the hang of this.

It's a good thing they made deconstructing stuff so easy. As soon as you finish off automating one part, you need to wipe the whole thing and redesign because you left no room to actually move the goods on to the next stage.

It took me a second to realize that arms will pull from either side of a conveyor, but only place stuff on the far side of the conveyor.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular

With Fluid Handling you can put crude oil in barrels. I'm not sure how it works, but it's there.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options

Purple is hilariously simple in comparison, minus actually needing to kill bug hives to get it: stick alien stuff in assembler, assembler spits out purple stuff.

But yeah, blue research is a paaaain. Lots of intermediate steps to slow down the process.

• Options

Purple is hilariously simple in comparison, minus actually needing to kill bug hives to get it: stick alien stuff in assembler, assembler spits out purple stuff.

But yeah, blue research is a paaaain. Lots of intermediate steps to slow down the process.

I just spent like..an hour and a half setting up a production line for it.

Then I went and fucked up and only left room for one blue research assembler instead of the two I wanted. Aint no way I'm undoing all that work to fix it.

• Options
    Yeah, if you can figure out how to set up resource lines without them coming to a dead end at a single assembler, then scaling is waaaay easier.

• Options
    It'd be a lot easier to do this if underground belts went a reasonable distance.

At least make a tunneling research that lets you expand the distance +5 for each level.

• Options
    Agreed. Longer tunnel distances would make a lot of assembly immensely easier since you won't have to spend so much space on sending everything back underground.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh oh and maybe at the high end of the tunneling tech you can unlock the borehole inserter.

Which can grab from a underground belt directly beneath it.

Also the goddamn car is a fucking rolling disaster. I've given up using it to travel between the areas of my base cause it just keeps blowing stuff up

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    As far as using both sides of a conveyor belt go, it seems like kind of a waste to use both sides for the same item to me. Sure you get more throughput, but you can also just use faster belts if throughput is the problem. Instead I like to use the two sides for different items, which lets me make fairly linear assembly lines that can be extended/modified without tearing everything down.

An example from my old game to show what I'm talking about:
    qOChP4p.jpg

• Options
    I like having items stockpiled on bothsides of the belt in case of unexpected demand.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Train is for traveling, car is for suicide and accidentally taking out your powerlines.

Finally went through and won.

pictures aheads

Factory. Really should have had more normal circuit production, as by endgame I had 9 advanced circuit and 4 processing unit producers and running flat out on them backed up on circuit production. It turned out to be mostly ok because I had 2 entire chests of electronic circuits buffering it, but good to know for future.

Also I hate dealing with petroleum gas. Had 3 refineries for most of the game running with advanced production, and heavy/light both being converted to gas, and still being constantly backed up on gas even though I only had 1 sulfur and 2 plastic production places. Ended up with 7 oil farms as well as they just run out so fast.
    TYU2KgN.jpg

Whole map, had 2 iron producing bases with one of them zeroed out, 2 oil producing bases, and a copper base. Finally used oil barrels, ended up working really well for distance oil transport.
    I5tYooC.jpg

Aaaand victory page.
    rvVVodT.jpg

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    what the ever-loving fuck

• Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Well, getting some interesting problems now. For fun, I've decided not to use any solar panels because pollution woo! However, the fact that the steam engine/coal mine is a feedback loop has led to some total system failure downward spirals. The first few times, somehow the coal input line got jammed on a below ground to immediate corner section. After clearing that out twice, I rebuilt the line to remove that section with a traditional turn. While in the middle of biter territory, power goes down AGAIN. I barely managed to free myself of the quickly disintegrating mess of walls and now useless laser towers before the biters could swarm me. This time, just enough coal mines had run out that it caused another power spiral. Less power, less coal being mined, quick trip to shut down. That's what I get for not connecting my main furnace coal line to the steam plant and instead letting it run on its own independent mining operation.

Found out what happens when you break a chest when your inventory can't handle the load. Noticed one of the inserters emptying a train was moving slower than it should be. Testing proved that if I just shifted everything down one spot they'd all unload at the same speed. Iron ore EVERYWHERE. Including in the copper line one train car over. Didn't notice that until the ore had already passed through my furnace complex. Now I've got to spot check every single iron/copper line to check for impurities. Already found one spot where the machinery had frozen up due to both sides being covered in iron and with no copper to grab.

Addendum: :( The iron ore continues to wreak havoc. Just found out that it also flew into my empty oil can line, got loaded back into the train, and traveled all the way over to my oil pumping station.

Valkun on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'll probably do no solar or at least limited solar next game, power being a fake thing via huge solar panel and accumulator farm was kinda silly. I never even finished my starter coal patch.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Meanwhile I've got 27 steam engines/36 boilers and the area around them is so dark with pollution I'm barely able to see when I'm working around them. (I'm also in a desert which means no pollution absorbing trees :neutral_face: )

I should probably check the power plants coal field and see how much has been depleted before I get into a bad power situation..

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I just want to say that I will eternally hate @harvest‌ for linking this game to us.
    I hate you so much because now I can't enjoy the other games I've been playing for a while.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I just want to say that I will eternally hate @harvest‌ for linking this game to us.
    I hate you so much because now I can't enjoy the other games I've been playing for a while.

Personally, I would have appreciated it if he could have brought this to my attention not immediately after I blew forty bucks on the D3 expansion but before.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Look you guys. If you'd hang out in the Steam G&T Adventure Team chat you'd have had your chance to see it earlier. I can't be held responsible for your gross chat indiscretions.

B6yM5w2.gif