As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ArcheAge] Sate your inner criminal. Early Release! Ollo Server! West/Nuia Ho!

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    You will get 23 points for all three trees. As you level you can pay to respec to take out leveling abilities that you do not want anymore and add in more passives and CD abilities. Also if you spend points in the "passive" area it counts as your general overall points in the tree. Spread 23 points among three trees and you will have to make some decisions. For example to go full tanky build you might to well over 10 points into defense as there are some very nice abilities and CDs in there. That doesnt leave much for Auramancy or Battlerage or whatever you have with Defense.

Alrighty that sounds pretty good, thanks!

I think I can deal with the WoW combat, building my own combos and stuff should make it more interesting.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Do remember, we were going Haranya for this beta. And it seems we're piling into the Ollo server.

Give my Catman, Akeche a holler.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BOOOO Apparently people weren't all supposed to have patron levels of labor regen :(

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    You know, getting double-dipped on quest reward labor cost is a bit... shitty. First to open the reward box, then to open the individual items.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    ArcheAge is definitely the "sum of its parts" for me.

The combat is your sort of standard hotbar combat. Not as tight as FFXIV, but the skillsets allow for greater customization and (at least with Vitalism and Auramancy) my abilities have two different functions depending on if I am targeting enemies or allies. Plus many abilities seem to have AoEs.

And I make no mistake that there wont be "the right" builds, but as far as leveling goes you seem to be able to get away with whatever. In PvP I'd imagine having the "correct" build is key, but that doesn't bother me so much. PvP to me in ArchAge is less about me being a unique snowflake and more about the glory of my faction/guild. So if I gotta use a different build for that then fine. As long as I can still do whatevs in PvE.

The Labor Point system is dumb. I understand they need an incentive for people to subscribe, but the current implementation I feel just pisses people off as opposed to making them want to subscribe.

I'm not against the idea of the LP system, just in the current form I feel it punishes people too much. Having to spend LP to identify an item you found? Eh, fine I guess. Having to spend LP to identify items you got as a quest reward? Kind really stupid. Having to spend LP to identify coinpurses? Also stupid.

I also feel like everyone should be able to at least own a Scarecrow Farm. Sure save everything else for subscribers, but at least give the unwashed masses a taste. Hell, the F2P players could basically be like serfs growing food on mass for the rest of the people. :P

With that said, OMG ERRY'THANG ELSE WOOO!

The world is surprisingly vast and beautiful.

The way quests work I think is kind of smart. If you just want to get right to the action you can instantly accept and be on your way. If you're a nerd like me and want some context you can read all about it. Some of the stories have been enjoyable and how the camera zoom in on them while they (and you) talk is a nice touch. Doubly so since some of them have more than one person talking.

The idea of building not just a home, but a working farm/ranch is great. The fact that it isn't even instanced just gives me all the boners.

Ships and sailing is awesome. Getting attacked out at sea is awesome (though some may argue otherwise :P ). Open seas PvP is awesome. The idea that only certain spots on land are open PvP also awesome. The fact that you don't really need to go there, but the rewards for doing so are great is just icing. The whole northern continent being a place for guilds to build cities and fight for resources is awesome.

The PvP-centric nature of the game may not be for everyone, but it certainly is my cup of tea and it is something I've been wanting from a modern MMO for a long time. The fact that, unlike some past games, the PvP nature of it doesn't mean it is nothing but death and despair outside of a city is also great. If you don't want to do it you don't have to and, more importantly, you can still be useful to the world at large.

From what I've seen there seems to be a metric fuckton of stuff to keep players busy. I feel that only the most jaded of players would think they didn't have anything to do. Cause holy shit, yes you do!

I had been suppressing my hype for this game for a long time because, well, korean. But thankfully the beta has quelled my fears on that subject so now I can be officially hyped. Not that the game is perfect, but for me at any rate, it seems to be as close as I'm ever going to get to all the things I've wanted from an MMO.

Oh also, looks like there will be two new races eventually.

Dwarves for the West:
    Dwarf.jpg

And,

Warborn for the East:
    Warbornm.jpg

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm confused by the skill trees. I only got a limited selection of the total amount to pick from upon reaching levels 5/10, however the skill manager offers to swap out any of them for any others? So, what, is the starting class entirely immaterial and you just pick what will cost you the least to spec out of later?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    As you play the game your skills will level up. I'm not certain what determines when they level up. Whether it is use based or XP based.

So say you've been using the same 3 classes (or specializations as the game calls it) for most of your career and you switch to 3 different specializations. You will have all the skill points you've acquired while leveling and can spend them, but the actual skills themselves will only be Rank 1. This means that someone who has used those 3 specializations from the get go will be a bit better then you. However, you can still rank up those new skills.

In effect you can eventually (as I understand it) develop all the specializations and switch between them however the hell you see fit. Though I'd imagine doing that would take quite a bit of time (and money)?

And if anyone was curious about the classes, you can check the Class List here

edit- On a different note, the Justice System sounds amazing. :)

Axen on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So the 21 points you get are for 21 different skills, and you are not called on to spend multiple points on one skill to make it better?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    So the 21 points you get are for 21 different skills, and you are not called on to spend multiple points on one skill to make it better?

Know what?

This video explains it better than I can. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLpMvP1hi2U

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    http://archeage.gamepedia.com/Classes#section_2

That is quite a list of classes!

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    http://archeage.gamepedia.com/Classes#section_2

That is quite a list of classes!

So from what I'm reading (and vets, correct me if I'm wrong) is that many combos aren't super viable.

Like I want to play a healer/support, so starting with Vit/Aura, but for a 3rd class I'm limited to witchcraft or defense for good synergy. I find Sorc most appealing damage but it uses different base stats so I'd have to sacrifice damage or healing if I picked Boneweaver.

On a side note, like Axen briefly mentioned above, I'm absolutely loving that heal/buffs are multipurposed as damage/debuffs depending on who I cast it on.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I almost feel like less questing and opening things up even more even faster would have been better.

Like teach people everything in the first ten levels from combat to farming and crafts, maybe an example of PvP and nation building, and then let them go out and do whatever they want. Sail the sea, build the houses and plots, kill all the things, etc. You can have quests but have it as an option to leveling and not a requirement as much as it has been so far.

And I can understand Patron only plots as a way to keep land in the hands of actual players and paying customers over drop in and drop out F2P players and bots, but it still saddens me that I can't even have a basic thing to play with which, for me, represents a large part of the game's appeal. Open world housing is an amazing addition to this game and shouldn't be completely gated by a pay wall. I am also interested to see if you keep your house after being a Patron and going back to basics, and if your house goes away from being destroyed or inactivity after time has passed, what happens to the stuff, your hard earned stuff, that is inside it?

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    From what I've read and been told pretty much any combo works for leveling. Some more so than others of course. For instance, when you create a character you can only select from 6 out of 10 specializations. Apparently they did this because those other four are more supporty and didn't start with attacks.

I ended up going Vitalism/Auramancy/Battlerage myself and I find it useful. Battlerage gives me attacks to do while my spells are on CD.

Here is a random tidbit on Guild vs. Guild siegies:
    Once a week on Saturdays, Guilds are able to besiege your castle in an attempt to take control. In order to attack your castle, guilds must bid on the right to attack.

The guild with the highest bid gets the right to attack your castle. These battles are 70 v 70 at the max for guild members. However, the defending guild is able to bring in 30 other players as mercenaries, and the attacking guild is able to bring in another 30 members to match, making the largest possible total 100 v 100. The main goal of the attackers is to breach the walls and destroy the Guard Tower inside.

Defenders on the walls can activate fixed cannons using a Blood Archeum Crystal while the attackers can bring Siege Weapons to try and destroy the castle walls or scale the castle walls. In the end, victory for the attackers means that they now control the Guard Tower and surrounding land, while victory for the defenders means they get a special form of currency, Coins of the Lord.

Sounds neat to me. Though I didn't see anything that mentioned how defenders win. I imagine it is time based?

edit- @‌Corehealer

I'm not sure what happens to your stuff when you go from Patron to not, but I do know the game gives you two week before it kicks you out of your plot.

IIRC you can (or will) be able to buy Patron status with ingame gold from other players. Not unlike EVE Online and PLEX.

Axen on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I want Warborn to be a race option right meow.

488W936.png
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    Aww man, I want to try this one so bad. I love the direction the Korean MMOs have taken the genre. I think the art and world design is far, far ahead of the American games like WoW and Wildstar. Aion was great, TERA was fun for a while. I'm hoping this game gets its hooks into me the same way.

The positive responses I'm reading here so far are making me salivate. I'm going to scour the whole internet after work and try to get my hands on a key.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    So one thing I did last night was pop out my rowboat on a river, sit in it, and let the current carry me all the way to the ocean. It was actually kind of fun. I smoothly went down a small waterfall, but absolutely tumbled down a large one. It was all ground, sky, ground, sky, ground sky, darkness. And then my rowboat pop'd back above the surface of the water. Very, very cool.

edit- At present I am in my rowboat paddling myself over to the Harani continent. :P

Axen on
  • Options
    IS Warborn going to be in the East or the West? Because I must have Elves versus Dwarves rivalry.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    IS Warborn going to be in the East or the West? Because I must have Elves versus Dwarves rivalry.

Not sure if it has been confirmed. But that is the general consensus. In the west NPCs will talk about the Dwarves and such.

In other news. People may enjoy the fact that there are uncharted islands in the ocean. They will not show up on your map and you can even build on some of them. :D

y40T2If.jpg

edit- I have landed in Haranya. Time to teach these savages about the glory of the Goddess Nui!

Axen on
  • Options
    @Axen Except we worship Nui, too. Also did you forget our humans are more advanced than your Ye Olde Knightness :D?

Btw get in TS3 dammit, it's boring yakking to people who aren't in game.

• Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Missed out on a key this round, anyone have a spare they wouldn't mind sharing?

Edit: Or a strong enough review to convince me to drop 50$ :)

dougyfresh on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Some randoms notes from my trip to foreign lands.

Uncharted islands are a thing. You can build on them, but they are not protected and your buildings can be destroyed by other players. The ones built on the mainland cannot be destroyed.

Guards will totally attack you (no duh), random NPCs will not.

Harani people are, like, tiny.

I killed one dude two levels higher than me. Fate must have had a sense of humor because not long after I was killed by someone two levels below me. :P

Just in general, for PvP, I think you'll want at least one or two attacks that don't have cast times. The guy I killed was some sort of magic archer. He had some CC abilities and fancy bow shooting skills. I am a Vitalism/Auramancy/Battlerage guy (Argent). Not exactly decked out for melee combat, but I just got right in his face and destroyed him with my basic Battlerage ability. Was not a close fight.

I raided some dude's farm.

When you die in foreign lands you still respawn at the closest Shrine. I'm not gonna lie, I think this may become an issue in the future.

You also do not lose XP in PvP. So, it just kind of compounds the above issue.

Mounted archers (true to history I guess) will probably be pretty great at running down the enemy.

It didn't take as long as I'd thought to cross the sea. It took awhile, but not overly so. That was in a rowboat mind you. Probably a short trip in a real ship.

Whirlpools are a thing and they will damage you and your boat.

There are also strong winds that can hamper gliding.

Dolphin pods!

Ocean floor magma vents!

No zone loading is amazing.

Twas a fun experience. I give it a dan ouda dan.

edit-

Oh and as it turns out I am fresh out of Hereafter stones and therefore am stuck in Haranya until I can fight my way to the coast. :P

Axen on
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I really like the music for this game so far. Though I'm not sure how tagging mobs work yet. Is it classic EQ/WoW style or is it awesome GW2/ESO/Rift style?

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    The first one, what's your in-game name @drunkenpandaren‌ ?

• Options
    Tagging system is my biggest complaint at the moment.

It seems based on percentage of damage done and not first strike (which would also kinda suck, but less so). I've straight up abadnoned a few quests since my combo of skills does not lend itself well to nuke damage.

• Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    So, as far as class combos go, the only thing I can add (which may or may not be adding as I just skimmed a couple of the longer responses) is that for PvP you generally don't want a hybrid stat build. So you mainly want to focus on one main stat for damage is the way I took it.

This is hearsay so I can only assume it is right. I just hit 30 today, so I should be trying out some PvP zones soon.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    The first one, what's your in-game name @drunkenpandaren‌ ?

I just rerolled a cat name Catmandu.

• Options
    So, at what point does this game open up? At my current level it's still just "okay PVE questing with okay combat" for me. Which I wouldn't mind as much if the labor system didn't feel like it's outright punishing me for doing anything except grinding mobs.

Hey, hey you! Craft 3 hearth stones! That'll be 50 minutes of playtime, please come again.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    man the press junk makes it seem like swg a bit- is there an ah?

Whats the economy like since you can grow craft a lot of good stuff?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Without Patron status the game will be a huge grind now that I think of it. You will have to plan ahead big time to get the trade routes unlocked and such. My initial thoughts of saving up for patron status cycles look like they will be a thing. As those will allow you to progress. To answer your question fully glal I honestly do not know. As Alpha I have been full Patron from the get go. But you guys are making sure I do not use ANY of my points for anything other than Patron status.

• Options
    I think it'll be great if they let all the NPC speak Korean when you don't know their language. And then have them switch to English once you learn it.

• Options
    I'm loving this game, but I don't think I could play it without Patron, which is fine as I figure I'll sub for it. It gives me nostalgic MMO vibes that I cannot ignore.

Going into the game free seems to be too crippling though, especially since you can't use the auction house to sell things. That's kind of the real kicker I feel, as it cripples your money making ability. It leaves you with literally no other option but to slowly save labor to farm up crap in the world.

• Options
    So its a monthly with a free trial :pensive:
    When does it go live?

I may buy it just to do betas....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    I don't believe they have said when the game will launch officially, but I have heard November thrown around a lot as an educated guess.

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    You can always buy the item from the cash shop that unlocks the AH on your account. I think it's around 5$ or so worth in gems? I think I'll probably get at least a month of patron to start and see if I can get a bunch of apex for cheep, games with items like that always seam to sell really cheep at the start.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fuckit. im in. installing now

• Options
    If you do not care for the animal within 60 minutes after it's release, it might die.

D:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    @mojojoeo‌ You god damned fool I had a key for you!

In other news, I now have a spare key to give away! (Other one is going to Lamba)

Arthil on
  • Options
    Well I've little doubt I'll be subbing to this. Though that is mainly because I want to support the crap out of this.

I do hope they rework the LP system since I think it'll be for the betterment of all if they have something that isn't so punishing to free players.

Though from what I've heard Trion are aware that the current system sucks and are looking to change things. So here's hoping.

Otherwise I like what I see. Blemishes and all.

• Options
    Here's what I hope to see changed.

I'm fine with the different caps. It's 2000 for F2P now and 5000 for P2P. What I want is for F2P to get even a little bit of offline regen. A paying player gets 5/5m right, while they get 10/5m while online? Give F2P players 2-2.5 while offline.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    Here's what I hope to see changed.

I'm fine with the different caps. It's 2000 for F2P now and 5000 for P2P. What I want is for F2P to get even a little bit of offline regen. A paying player gets 5/5m right, while they get 10/5m while online? Give F2P players 2-2.5 while offline.

That and removing the LP cost to identify items. I find that just silly. More so in regards to quest rewards, but having to identify coinpurses is also silly.

On a different note. You can take the stats of one weapon and combine it with the look of another weapon (of the same type). Pointy Stick of Destiny here I come!

This discussion has been closed.