As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kerbal Space Program] Shiny new thread! Desperately seeking pictures of rockets

VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Games and Technology
header.png

Do you like outer space? Do you like rockets? How about fire? Exploring other planets? Explosions? The answers to those questions are "YES OF COURSE," and Kerbal Space Program is the game that brings all of them to you (often at the same time!).

The Game

KSP is a rocketry/orbital physics and space exploration simulator built on the Unity game engine, and is developed by Squad. The game is essentially Lego spaceships wrapped in a model train set, and you, the aspiring space explorer, are let loose to reach for the stars as you see fit. The game is currently in development, and buying now will gain you free access to future updates and expansions.

Your astronauts are Kerbals, from the planet Kerbin. Your trusty dream team is made up of the boys at the op of the page, Jebediah Kerman, Bill Kerman, and Bob Kerman (no relation), along with a willing mass of Kerbal cadets. Starting with a pile of parts, the Kerbal Space Center, and a whole crapload of flags, it's your job to get the Kerbal Space Program off the ground! With your help, they can conquer the stars.

Build!
KSPimage03.png
KSPimage04.png

Launch into the great unknown!

Plan your maneuvers using prograde/retrograde/radial/anti-normal maneuvers and other fancypants jargon! Chicks love a guy who can quote the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation!
KSPimage12.png

Travel to strange, new worlds!
KSPimage06.png

Land on those worlds, and maybe even survive the landing to plant your flag! It could happen.
KSPimage09.png

Explore an entire solar system of 8 planets and 9 moons! As of version 0.22, there's a Campaign Mode where you can launch rockets, conduct experiments, and climb to the stars with SCIENCE! As you unlock newer and better parts with SCIENCE(!), you and your Kerbals will build, fly, and slam into planets with wondrous, advanced technology.

I've heard this game is hard as hell...

Okay, yeah, there's a bit of a learning curve. It's recommended you play through some of the tutorials, since having specific goals is a big help. People here in the thread are super smart, good-looking, and helpful, so ask questions and don't be afraid of looking stupid - I can't stress that enough. Everyone builds a pointy bomb/lawn dart instead of an actual rocket on their first launch, so it's not just you. Real orbital mechanics and physics (mostly) apply in KSP, so expect to learn frequently via Rapid Unplanned Disassembly(tm) of your Kerbal spacecraft.

Is the game moddable?

Holy crap, is it moddable. There's a huge community of people making customized parts, textures, and ships, not to mention entire gameplay mechanics like information displays, resource collection, topographic mapping systems, you name it. The modders for KSP are pretty unbelievable, and you can check out a lot of it on the official forums or the (http://kerbalspaceport.com/) Kerbal SpacePort.

Some examples of what modders have created:
uVFGFfk.jpg

hWOrc05.jpg

a3j3UU8.jpg

Q9HLlNQ.jpg

sRqAadO.png

Where do I get it?

Try the demo! Direct from KSP, or get it from Steam. You can go as far as the Mun (one of the moons around Kerbin), and it gives a great feel for the game.

KSP can be purchased through Steam, and is fully integrated with automatic updates, community stuff, and all the Steam crap/goodness that entails.

You can also buy the game directly from the developers, which has its own standalone launcher/patcher. There's zero difference between the two, except that the Steam Version has, well, Steam. The "KSP Store" version can be converted to Steam, but the process only works one way (The Newell does not allow takesies-backsies on his devoured souls).

Show me videos that make me want to play this!

Okay!

They come out with some pretty great intro movies for each big version release:
The Jeb/Bill/Bob series were made with some extensive mods, and a heaping helping of movie magic, but they were all shot in game. When your wife/girlfriend/mother/boss asks what the hell you're doing with your free time, show them these:
(thanks to @randombattle for starting the first OP!)

VT09mOz.png
VedicIntent on

• Options
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @VedicIntent‌ the nested spoilers in the OP are broked. :(

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    KSP is a mere $16 right now on Steam until friday. If you're sitting on the fence now is your chance or wait for the Summer Dale.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

When I saw this I was surprised the joystick even existed, since both parts of the Falcon were left behind. I wouldn't have thought they'd have removed controls first when they needed to get cameras and film canisters and samples back.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    This is the first time I've been able to play in over a month, so naturally I now need to spend an hour going through the official forums to update each mod I'm using.

edit: ooh, but Infernal Robotics works again! Worth it!

Daedalus on
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Here's the first two stages of the Leviathan II, aka Project SPACETRAIN

9kbrxMd.jpg

The kethane scanner is just above the cockpit, so scanning a planet gives you a great view. The ship's belly is facing the camera.
    I'm thinking I'll add a middle section with landers on the sides. Yes, that's a supergiant engine and six LV-30s. This spacetrain has no brakes.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    choo choooooooo!

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is there a mod that lets me to advance through the tech tree at my own pace, without spending science? Or is there a config file I can modify to set all the costs to 0?

The reason I don't want to just fire up Sandbox Mode is that I'd still like to have a sense of progression through the tech tree, but I'm still not a big fan of the way Science collection works in its current state. I'd like to sort of roleplay my advancement through the tech tree on my own as I perform different missions of my own design.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    You could just modify the config file on your save and give yourself 20k science. Should be ample for unlocking the tree at your leisure.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Edit the persistence.cfg file and you can just give yourself a bunch of science. It is in your save folder.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    That's perfect, thanks.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

When I saw this I was surprised the joystick even existed, since both parts of the Falcon were left behind. I wouldn't have thought they'd have removed controls first when they needed to get cameras and film canisters and samples back.

This is obviously further proof it was all staged.

:rotate:

• Options
    So I almost got me a pet asteroid, class E, but got screwed by a weird bug that wouldn't let me save/switch ships/exit to the space port. Next time.

Are there any mods that make use of asteroids? I know you get some science off them, but I wish there were something to do with the rock after I capture it in orbit...

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    So I almost got me a pet asteroid, class E, but got screwed by a weird bug that wouldn't let me save/switch ships/exit to the space port. Next time.

Are there any mods that make use of asteroids? I know you get some science off them, but I wish there were something to do with the rock after I capture it in orbit...

Send up a lot of ships with docking nodes and now your asteroid serves as an anchor for a base.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Turn it into a giant airplane and try to make a soft landing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzMDkKhO5g

There are a lot of videos of people landing asteroids in various ways, but this is infinitely more awesome than peppering it with hundreds of parachutes and then deorbiting it.

Hevach on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Soft landing an asteroid using Kerbal style aerodynamics. Have I mentioned that I love this game? I mean one of the first videos I ever saw was the guy slam dunking the asteroid, but this is actually a little bit cooler.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh, I think this is my favorite SSTO yet, the Spriggan II:

Myu1x4L.jpg

It handles like a fighter jet, is perfectly stable up to a max speed over 1,550 m/s, and appears to have enough fuel to go to minmus and back.
    I'm not entirely sure if it can survive a re-entry of that size but this plane is fun.

Edit: OH shit this thing comes in at high speed

InfamyDeferred on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think the thing that bothers me the most about stock KSP airplane parts is that they make the planes look so dull.

B9 Aerospace, plz be updated soon.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Do you think this is excessive? This looks excessive.

6riosw.jpg

Fucker still can't keep up with science transmissions.

Edit: Not sure why that screenshot was full of white space, here's a non fail one.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Yeah those are sort of designed around doing burst transmissions with batteries, I think. A good trick, you can do 10x time warp and the charge will accumulate faster than the transmission costs. Doesn't work in atmo/on physical warp though.

• Options
    Is that a mod for existing solar panels or is that from a modded part? It is a cool looking panel.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »
    Is that a mod for existing solar panels or is that from a modded part? It is a cool looking panel.
    It's from KSO.

Here it is on my station:
    1024x768.resizedimage

I'm actually launching and adding another solar truss segment at the moment:
    1024x768.resizedimage
    And because I'm such a huge nerd I've started loading Kerbals via a Bus and into the launch tower elevator... I may be taking realism too far. :P

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Ok that is just damn cool. My cobbled-together shit stations salute you!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    It's built upon the station from the last stock scenario, so I can't take all the credit. I just added on and moved stuff around.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    So I think I finally got this SSTO thing down. Now if someone could please explain to me why the Air Intake Resource Meter never makes sense, I would really much appreciate it.

Here's my refueling station with three different SSTO models I created (Stock, no Sabers).

8tnjtsobtmb2.jpg

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    "IntakeAir" is basically (speed * air pressure) - (consumption/sec), at least with the ram air intakes. The faster you go, the more of it you'll have. The higher you are, the less you'll have. The lower your throttle, the less you'll consume. Lowering your throttle while you're trying to ascend sounds silly, but it's actually a really good way to grab an extra couple thousand meters of altitude without flaming out, since at those altitudes there's not a whole lot of drag to make you need all your thrust.

I've seen people get to like, 50km by carefully managing throttle, though that height takes a while and I'm not sure I'd enjoy flying something that takes 20 minutes to get to orbit.

• Options
    "IntakeAir" is basically (speed * air pressure) - (consumption/sec), at least with the ram air intakes. The faster you go, the more of it you'll have. The higher you are, the less you'll have. The lower your throttle, the less you'll consume. Lowering your throttle while you're trying to ascend sounds silly, but it's actually a really good way to grab an extra couple thousand meters of altitude without flaming out, since at those altitudes there's not a whole lot of drag to make you need all your thrust.

I've seen people get to like, 50km by carefully managing throttle, though that height takes a while and I'm not sure I'd enjoy flying something that takes 20 minutes to get to orbit.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation! But then, why can I still have a positive number, sometimes 7, and still fame out when at other times I can be at 0 and be ok? Actually one of my models can handle going up to 30,000 if I use both engines at the same time - The added speed helps accumulate enough air - But the AirIntake shows 0.00

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    ...Wizard did it?

I dunno, I do think there are some bugs or quirks in it for sure.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I just found out that my version of KSP never updated.

So I wiped everything, re-downloaded all the mods, and now I have to start over. Really makes me want to build an integrated system within the game to download and install mods.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Frugus wrote: »

Thanks for the more detailed explanation! But then, why can I still have a positive number, sometimes 7, and still fame out when at other times I can be at 0 and be ok? Actually one of my models can handle going up to 30,000 if I use both engines at the same time - The added speed helps accumulate enough air - But the AirIntake shows 0.00

When you get to your flameout altitude, right-click on your engines (ALT+right-click on the second engine to open up another info window without closing the first one) and check each of their IntakeAir levels. The read-out in the upper right corner is an "overall" value, but each engine will have an independent level that's going to differ a bit based on their angle to the wind.

Once an engine gets below 0.1 IntakeAir, it flames out. When you're right against the bleeding edge at 25-30km, even tiny amounts of yaw is enough to tip one of them over the edge while the other stays alive; commence spinning like a mofo. Reducing throttle gives you a buffer, like Infamy said.

If you're flaming out with high IntakeAir values, it sounds like a possible resource flow bug or something. Are you using the FAR mod?

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    When you get to your flameout altitude, right-click on your engines (ALT+right-click on the second engine to open up another info window without closing the first one) and check each of their IntakeAir levels. The read-out in the upper right corner is an "overall" value, but each engine will have an independent level that's going to differ a bit based on their angle to the wind.

Once an engine gets below 0.1 IntakeAir, it flames out. When you're right against the bleeding edge at 25-30km, even tiny amounts of yaw is enough to tip one of them over the edge while the other stays alive; commence spinning like a mofo. Reducing throttle gives you a buffer, like Infamy said.

If you're flaming out with high IntakeAir values, it sounds like a possible resource flow bug or something. Are you using the FAR mod?

Ah! Now THAT explains it. Thanks and no I do not use the FAR mod, but I'm going to look into it.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Frugus wrote: »

Ah! Now THAT explains it. Thanks and no I do not use the FAR mod, but I'm going to look into it.

I forgot to mention - toss on an extra intake or two if you have trouble getting to speed at 30km, and squeeze a bit more air into the system. I usually do a pair per engine at least. You can spam those things to get ridiculous altitude, if you're okay with your plane looking really, really silly.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    WolfriderWolfrider Registered User regular
    Think I'm wrapping up my first time through the campaign mode. Landed on every (solid) planet and moon, and came back from all of them (except Eve.) I haven't gone after any asteroids, but, like a dog chasing a car, I'm not sure what I would do with it once I caught it, so the rocks can stay where they are for now.

Started out vanilla, added MechJeb around the time I was heading to Moho and Dres. I think this time, I'm going to use MechJeb, FAR, and Deadly Reentry. Those mods are all compatible, right?

I'm also going to run an addon to pretty the game up a bit. Any recommendations?

If this had been an actual alien invasion, you would have protected as many as SOME of your population. Congratulations.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Environmental Visual Enhancements - clouds and city lights.
    Texture Replacer - everything else.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    So we've all seen that slam-dunk from orbit, right?

Two words: Asteroid. Bowling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJlUD5yJ0tI

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Some cool news, and a joke I made that I thought was funny that no one else will get.

Edit, well crap you can't inline conversational tweets anymore?

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Hey

I got it

...only because I was reading about the ISS during my "I work night audit but I have tonight off so what the fuck am I going to do" Wikipedia trawls.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    EDIT: NM, I don't even know my own country's geography. >.>

Nova_C on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    I'm playing around with Near Future Propulsion. It adds a number of electric rocket engines that are based on various prototypes that have been developed in the real world. I always felt that Interstellar was too science-fictioney for me; this feels just about right.

I tried to launch a probe to Moho with the magnetoplasmadynamic thruster, and I figured that since it was my first such electric probe, I'd just use solar panels, batteries, and capacitors to power it rather than launch a whole nuclear reactor.
    cSGArWQ.png

This turned out to be a mistake. Even at 40% thrust, that engine sucks down 10000 electric charge units in seconds. This thing was infuriating to control. And the worst part is, I screwed up my maneuvers and ran out of propellant before I could rendezvous with Moho.

Still, the engine looks cool and has awesome sound effects, so the mission isn't a total loss, right?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Still, the engine looks cool and has awesome sound effects, so the mission isn't a total loss, right?
    Truly, the mark of a Kerbal engineering genius.