Options

[Dark Souls]'s moon is waning. Soon the nightly hunt begins.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    the problem with the smelter demon is he requires you to git gud

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm probably not being fair

I expected the boss I'm complaining about to be as good a fight as Kalameet

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    kalameet was hot bullshit too

• Options
    smelter demon is just super out of place, because he's harder than any of the great soul bosses

unless you're a caster

if you're a caster he is an absolute joke

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Kalameet was the second best boss in DS1

You just have to co-op it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Kalameet was a Hell of a lot easier with a greatshield, like the greatshield of Artorias

His fire attacks were easy enough to dodge but the GoA would save your ass if you weren't good at seeing his charges coming

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the smelter demon is definitely a difficulty spike but it's not like he's broken like the capra demon

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I have always enjoyed getting Kalameet's tail solo. I tried Ancient Dragon twice, said Nope, and moved on to NG+.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    I have always enjoyed getting Kalameet's tail solo. I tried Ancient Dragon twice, said Nope, and moved on to NG+.

Here's the trick!
    Stay on the outside of his right foreleg. You have enough time to knock the shit out of it and let your stamina recover before he attacks again. He will either stomp with his right foreleg, with his left foreleg, or he will do a fire carpet. He telegraphs the fire carpet by crouching and there's a big dust-up beside all of his feet. Run toward his tail.

That's pretty much it

It's easiest with a Giant Warrior Hammer +10. 2H R2, once, between each of his attacks.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    so for iron keep knights i use the drangleic sword/shield combo

it's so good

I just got a couple of katanas too, and may switch to dual wielding katanas

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So far I'm having fun in New Game+ with rerolling my character to be more dexterity than strength and powerstancing two curved swords rather than just using a greatsword and a shield. Despite the fact that I started the game as a Swordsman I never dual-wielded anything for any real length of time. Having a good sheild is just so nice that it's difficult to find weapons that might be worth powerstancing. Ultragreatswords can be worth it if you can just kill everything before it reaches you as you essentially become a slow moving short-range artillery cannon, and all of the big weapons like halberds and greataxes seem to behave mostly like ultragreatswords in respect to powerstancing. Twin greatswords just don't seem to have enough oomph or range to really be worth it, and I feel the same way about straight swords. Curved sword powerstances allow for nice combos that allow you hit a lot of times, but you have to be careful to make sure that you don't get stuck in an attack animation while an enemy gets ready to end you. Fast weapons like daggers or fist weapons can be nice to powerstance because the combos are generally quick enough that you can roll out of the way. I haven't powerstance-d any katanas or trusting swords so I don't know if either of those two weapon types are worth powerstancing. If I had to guess I'd say powerstancing katanas is probably better than powerstancing thrusting swords. I am incredibly curious as to what the powerstances for weird weapons like whips or twinblades might be.

Also in case anyone doesn't know, to properly powerstance a weapon you two weapons of the same weapon type, you need 150% of each weapon's stat requirements, and to activate its powerstance you need to hold the one-handed/two-handed button until you visibly see your character change stances. For a long time I couldn't figure out the big deal about power-stancing weapons but that was because I'd just tap the button instead of holding it down so I wouldn't actually see the new moveset.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Power stance katanas was seriously underwhelming, I'm not even sure what the strong attack is

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Before I flip out, does anyone know if Red Phantom spawns like Rhoy and Mad Warrior (Mad Warrior especially) Are infinite spawn? I read you can farm them for awestones. Does this mean they don't despawn after 12 kills?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla‌

what is the summoning place of which you spoke? i joined the sunbros partly to get that sweet sword for my dual wield character, but i cannot get summoned enough to get enough medals to get that sweet sword

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla‌

what is the summoning place of which you spoke? i joined the sunbros partly to get that sweet sword for my dual wield character, but i cannot get summoned enough to get enough medals to get that sweet sword

I had about 1.1 million soul memory and I was getting summoned for the Prowling Magus like every 3 minutes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    wow, good to know
    thank you

i want to be a dual wielder, but i cannot tear myself away from the curved dragon great sword. i don't have enough stats to carry anything other than a bow if i go with that sword

or the good old drangleic sword and shield

i really like the looks of the dragonslayer's crescent axe, but it doesn't have very good scaling and it requires twinkling titanite to upgrade

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    *Huff* *Huff* You guys hear about this Dark Souls game? Seems like it's got promise.

(When you parry, you hit the button right before the attack connects, right? Also, Witches Ring is the way to go, everything else can be found pretty easy or bought?)

Depends on which Dark Souls game.

In Dark Souls 1, yes, if you hit the button before the attack physically connects(sometimes after) you'll parry the blow. The active frames of parry vary depending on what shield you're using. A regular shield has normal parry frames, small shields have slightly longer, and specific parrying shields/weapons like the Buckler/Parrying Dirk have parrying frames for DAYS.

However, all that information is wrong in DS2.

Parrying in DS2 makes one minor, hilariously significant change. Parrying has STARTUP frames in DS2.

Meaning that as soon as you hit the button, you will start going into the parrying animation, but the parry isn't actually active until a certain point in the animation, usually mid swing. Some weapons are better for this than other's, with Scimitar's/Curved Swords being explicit via the animation on when the parry frames are active.

However, the dead frames at start up basically changes parrying from a reaction based manuever to a prediction based. You'll have to start your parry during the enemies attack in order to parry it, instead of waiting till the closest point of contact.

It takes a bit to get used to, but it was a necessary system change.

Oh, so THAT'S why parrying seemed easier for me this time around.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I take it many people don't know about the second Lightning Spear scroll in EP?

I was sunbro'ing with 26 casts. I had 8 different people stop fighting and start spinning around me gesturing when I out cast them.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Before I flip out, does anyone know if Red Phantom spawns like Rhoy and Mad Warrior (Mad Warrior especially) Are infinite spawn? I read you can farm them for awestones. Does this mean they don't despawn after 12 kills?

the two offline ratbro spawns (Rhoy and the guy at Doors of Pharos) work like normal enemies in that they'll keep respawning until you've killed them 12 times, but they won't invade any more once you've lit the second bonfire in their respective areas (it might instead be that they won't spawn once you've beaten their respective rat bosses, but i'm not 100% sure). you can definitely farm them for awestones. the offline belfry invaders named "Bell Keeper" don't respawn once killed; there's one for each belfry. there's also the non-respawning warrior and avelyn-wielding blue phantoms in Belfry Sol, though iirc they don't count towards invader kills. afaik Mad Warrior is the only one who respawns infinitely, but he only spawns while you're in the bellbros (so you can't get awestones off of him), and he only has like a 1/5 chance of actually spawning each time you load into the area/rest at a bonfire.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Anyone on XBOX 360 who wants a Berserker blade, Mad Warrior chest, legs and gauntlets for free or in exchange for a Mad Warrior helm let me know. NG, 1.4mil SM.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I beat Kalameet the second time with fists in DS1. He was...he was kinda easy guys.

Sorry.

Don't hate me.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    don't worry morninglord, you're a special kind of freak, and we love you for it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    SM is so dumb.

Earlier today I was at the skeleton lords, at like 60k SM. I could almost solo them, but kept getting taken out by the wheels. Since I was there at such low SM, I had no one to summon. Dumb.

Just let people co-op. Restrict by location and what new game I'm on, and that's it. I don't give a shit if some SL 130 comes and rocks the boss. I can banish him if I'm looking for lower level guys. Or Hell, just list SL in the sign and let me pick.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    don't worry morninglord, you're a special kind of freak, and we love you for it.

But you can dodge all his melee attacks and sprint away from all of his flames.

He gives you infinite time to sprint away.

He really was easy.

He was probably one of those bosses that patient players die on and erratic sprinty players beat easily.

I did a lot of running in DS1 boss fights.

SM is so dumb.

Earlier today I was at the skeleton lords, at like 60k SM. I could almost solo them, but kept getting taken out by the wheels. Since I was there at such low SM, I had no one to summon. Dumb.

Just let people co-op. Restrict by location and what new game I'm on, and that's it. I don't give a shit if some SL 130 comes and rocks the boss. I can banish him if I'm looking for lower level guys. Or Hell, just list SL in the sign and let me pick.

That's no different from the last two games.

Your problem was not caused by soul memory.

It would have occurred in the previous games too. Try summoning someone as a level 20 in anor londo, see how far you get.

It's a bum rap guv.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Something like 90% of people probably don't think to just sprint away from him when he sets up for his fire attacks (except for his rear-up-and-blast one, if your'e quick and brave)

He'd not bad when you figure out his pattern, but he forces you to behave in ways you might not be used to if you're big on sword and board or a hyper-aggressive pyromancer

It's part of what makes him well-designed. He's fast, and brutal, and doesn't kid around, but he's also completely fair and predictable when you know his behavior.

Unlike a couple of other dragon bosses who shall not be named

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Cross posting from G&T:
    So I beat the game on one character and I'm messing around before I go to NG+ buying armor sets, collecting spells, etc. Is there anything important I need to do before I restart? I have all these boss souls should I use them now or...? Any optional bosses I NEED to kill? I'm just kinda doing the Ascetic thing in Dragon Aerie right now. Feel free to leave any tips in a spoiler tag. Oh also I CAN NOT for the life of me decide on an armor set or combination of pieces to wear. I'm trying to wear the heaviest armor I can while not fat rolling and I'm using the Defender Greatsword and the Greatshield you get from the one Dragon Rider guy. I was using Creighton's set with the Black Hood but I got bored of that. I have just about everything in the game I think barring a few sets I have yet to purchase. Just curious what other people were using. Too many options!

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Something like 90% of people probably don't think to just sprint away from him when he sets up for his fire attacks (except for his rear-up-and-blast one, if your'e quick and brave)

He'd not bad when you figure out his pattern, but he forces you to behave in ways you might not be used to if you're big on sword and board or a hyper-aggressive pyromancer

It's part of what makes him well-designed. He's fast, and brutal, and doesn't kid around, but he's also completely fair and predictable when you know his behavior.

Unlike a couple of other dragon bosses who shall not be named

Yeah he's quite a fun fight if you are a dab hand at the OH SHIT RUN RUN RUN RUN ok attack attack RUN RUN RUN RUN attack attack

Quite a few of his flame attacks give you quite a long time to attack him!

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Just fought Freya on my caestus run and I accidentally limited myself to just one reachable target.

I uppercut one head so hard it glitched and rolled backwards into the body.

I managed to kill it, but I almost died both inside the game and out while cracking up.

• Options
    HAHAHAHA The Rotten
    You can cut off his machete arm and he flails at you with the nub uselessly for the rest of the fight because he's a dumb zombie.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    HAHAHAHA The Rotten
    You can cut off his machete arm and he flails at you with the nub uselessly for the rest of the fight because he's a dumb zombie.

you must have killed him quick after that
    after a while of doing that he'll jam his stub into the ground and suck up more bodies to make a new arm

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    HAHAHAHA The Rotten
    you can do that to either of his arms, but eventually he'll regrow them

• Options
    HAHAHAHA The Rotten

Well I'll be

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I think I am close to beating the game, and my SM is 2.4 million :)

• Options
    Dys wrote: »
    Just fought Freya on my caestus run and I accidentally limited myself to just one reachable target.

I uppercut one head so hard it glitched and rolled backwards into the body.

I managed to kill it, but I almost died both inside the game and out while cracking up.

you aren't punching hard enough

• Options
    i have four grayed out bonfires on my bonfire screen

what do

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    HAHAHAHA The Rotten
    cutting off the other arm gives you a lockstone.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    i have four grayed out bonfires on my bonfire screen

what do

Find them

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular
    In other Dark Souls news I have discovered the perfect Katanabro outfit. It is amazing and flawless, so I made a dedicated Katana bro character. Figured I could blitz my way to a Katana early.

NOPE.

Man 4+ bosses using an off-theme weapon is going to SUUUCK BOOO HISSSS.

As a compromise there's an Enchanted Falchion in Lost Bastille, its not the same but its still a cool weapon and only two bosses (Sentinels, Gargoyles). The magic falchion seems as much a regular theme as the moonlight sword and the katana-that-hurts-if-you-use-it. All figure in all 3 souls games.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Last boss i have to punch to death in their stupid mouth is Nashandra... but punching the wisps is really hard guys.

I beat throne watchers with a combination of parry dagger/caestus.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Walker wrote: »
    In other Dark Souls news I have discovered the perfect Katanabro outfit. It is amazing and flawless, so I made a dedicated Katana bro character. Figured I could blitz my way to a Katana early.

NOPE.

Man 4+ bosses using an off-theme weapon is going to SUUUCK BOOO HISSSS.

As a compromise there's an Enchanted Falchion in Lost Bastille, its not the same but its still a cool weapon and only two bosses (Sentinels, Gargoyles). The magic falchion seems as much a regular theme as the moonlight sword and the katana-that-hurts-if-you-use-it. All figure in all 3 souls games.

How do you get to Lost Bastille without beating any bosses?