Options

[sysadmins] - International Brotherhood of Neckbeards and Mouthbreathers Local 258

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The Cisco phones have the CTU ringtone from 24. Best feature ever.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The Cisco phones have the CTU ringtone from 24. Best feature ever.

yeah but your calls are never as important as his.

"The president is in danger!" vs "Did we order enough pink post-its?"

Not as cool.

"they have got the presidents daughter!" vs "The sys admin has the runs and will be out today."

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    Public Service Announcement: If you use the phrase 'Friendly Reminder' your crap is going to take a least a day longer to be completed.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sentret wrote: »
    Friendly Reminder: If you use the phrase 'Friendly Reminder' your crap is going to take a least a day longer to be completed.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Now you've destroyed the space-time continuum. I hope you're happy.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Now you've destroyed the space-time continuum. I hope you're happy.

Knowing, bowen, yes. He is.

• Options
    Fun fact, quantum physics suggests all time has already happened to ensure continuity with quantum entanglement.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Friendly Reminder: If you use the phrase 'Friendly Reminder' your crap is going to take a least a day longer to be completed.

Now after you fix it you have to go back and break it a day later and then fix it another day after that.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Interview tomorrow. The location is kind of shitty as it would add at least 30 minutes to my drive just due to traffic. I'm mainly hoping to get an offer for equal or more than what I make now in order to force my current employer to actually have to give me a raise or lose me.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Cog wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »
    What is the industry standard for medium scale patch management / deployment in an all windows server environment?

Using WSUS to roll things out to systems is all well and good, but you don't really want your hosts restarting on their own, so how do you update a several hundred physical server multi-site environment in a timely fashion, and with maximum automation?

Solar Winds Patch Manager
    Yes, yes, and yes. I have a serious hardon on Patch Manager. God damn has that application saved me hundreds of hours. I ran a quick cost analysis and handed it to the CFO showing how much it costs me to do the same thing. She signed off on it immediately.

EDIT: Going back to this OP, are you asking for something other than WSUS to handle Windows updates? I use WSUS to handle the MS updates and Patch Manager for third party patching. I'm sure it can do both, but WSUS has worked fine for me so far.

I do want to note that with Windows Server 2003, they'll reboot automatically if using WSUS (probably any similar system) if you have the updates approved and not logged in. Once the install time starts, it'll install, then reboot. Pretty fucked up, if you ask me. Why the fuck would you ever want a server to reboot automatically like that? I've learned my lesson the hard way. Rarely have I seen the same happen with Server 2008, but it has occurred before.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Grifter wrote: »
    So, I have this Xerox Workcentre Pro and I have it setup to scan to a network directory. It's been working steady for a while. Recently, we rolled out a new Windows 2012 VM to use for print/scan stuff. Now the Xerox has a big lag between scan and deliver. My colleague had the idea to disable offline files on the users' computers but that doesn't seem to resolve the issue. And the issue seems to be pretty intermittent. I'm getting tired of slamming my head against a wall.
    What protocol are you using for delivering the scanned files?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    What is the industry standard for medium scale patch management / deployment in an all windows server environment?

Using WSUS to roll things out to systems is all well and good, but you don't really want your hosts restarting on their own, so how do you update a several hundred physical server multi-site environment in a timely fashion, and with maximum automation?

Yes, yes, and yes. I have a serious hardon on Patch Manager. God damn has that application saved me hundreds of hours. I ran a quick cost analysis and handed it to the CFO showing how much it costs me to do the same thing. She signed off on it immediately.

EDIT: Going back to this OP, are you asking for something other than WSUS to handle Windows updates? I use WSUS to handle the MS updates and Patch Manager for third party patching. I'm sure it can do both, but WSUS has worked fine for me so far.

I do want to note that with Windows Server 2003, they'll reboot automatically if using WSUS (probably any similar system) if you have the updates approved and not logged in. Once the install time starts, it'll install, then reboot. Pretty fucked up, if you ask me. Why the fuck would you ever want a server to reboot automatically like that? I've learned my lesson the hard way. Rarely have I seen the same happen with Server 2008, but it has occurred before.

I was under the impression that you could prevent auto-reboot with GPO, is this not the case with server 2003? Because I've definitely done it with 2008 and 2012.

As I said above. The issue isn't really with finding a way to manage patches, it's with finding a way to automatically drain a node in a cluster and get it ready for a reboot, which with the application architecture here isn't really possible.

This is what happens when you design something without scalability in mind, and then try to scale it up later on. You get shit like this.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Le_Goat wrote: »

I was under the impression that you could prevent auto-reboot with GPO, is this not the case with server 2003? Because I've definitely done it with 2008 and 2012.

As I said above. The issue isn't really with finding a way to manage patches, it's with finding a way to automatically drain a node in a cluster and get it ready for a reboot, which with the application architecture here isn't really possible.

This is what happens when you design something without scalability in mind, and then try to scale it up later on. You get shit like this.

Patch manager can do totally awesome shit like pre-rebooting the server at a specified time, then install the patches at a specified time, then hold the auto-reboot for a time of your choosing. It's the best thing.

Also, it can actually report on your patch compliance accurately. My biggest goddamn gripe about WSUS is that if you approve a patch for any patch group in your entire environment, that patch will count against all groups for determining if they have all "needed" patches installed. If we, for example, have servers that we cannot upgrade above IE8, so they're in their own group not receiving IE updates, every IE update approved for a different group (but left unapproved for the no-IE-updates group) still counts against it's "needed" patches. So unless you blanket approve every single patch for all groups, your patch compliance is always 99% or less on every device. That means without looking into servers or workstations individually, there's zero way to know if they're missing 1 patch or 30.

Solar winds can run custom reports on a per-container basis and give you a compliance metric for the patches approved to that particular container. Which it can run on a schedule and email the results to you after every one of your patch cycles.

Also, it can pull inventory reports for all installed software. Not just stuff it installed/patched. Want to know if someone has uTorrent or WoW or something installed? It's a couple clicks away. It has an RDP client built into it, you can remote manage services and stuff... Calling it "Patch Manager" anymore is so much of a misnomer, honestly, cause it does so much more than that.

For the cluster service, I'm not 100% sure because I've not done it, but I'm tentatively certain it can either handle that or it can kick off a script/batch that will trigger the drain-stop.

Cog on
  • Options

You can absolutely totally do that.

• Options
    @Cog did you get that scp shit working?

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    @Cog did you get that scp shit working?

No, I can't get the filemask with the time restriction to work.
    get filemask=*.txt>=61N

ends up getting nothing.

I think I could possibly make the power shell script here work, if I could figure out how to replace
    # Select the most recent file
            $latest =
                $directoryInfo.Files |
                Where-Object { -Not $_.IsDirectory } |
                Sort-Object LastWriteTime -Descending |
                Select-Object -First 1

# Any file at all?
            if ($latest -eq $Null)
            {
                Write-Host "No file found"
                exit 1
            }

# Download the selected file
            $session.GetFiles($session.EscapeFileMask($remotePath + $latest.Name), $localPath).Check()

with language to take the files within the last hour rather than "the most recent file". I'm not great at powershell though, most of my 'scripting' is googling for existing scripts and then googling for alternate language to sub in to replace what I don't quite need.

Also lighting the @Aioua‌ batsignal on this one.

• Options
    Telnetting to other people's mail servers and forcing their server to send them emails always fucking freaks people out. :D

• Options
    Hey if you didn't have to do someone's job for them they wouldn't need to!

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Interview today went great. They are a managed IT place so I'd basically be doing the same job but for multiple clients. The drive is actually shorter than my current one which surprised me. The people doing the interview were great. I was their first interview and they will likely be doing 2nd interviews in the next week or two. The salary will be the only thing keeping me from taking the job, as long as it is within $2/hr of what I currently make I could afford to take the pay cut, and I likely would, just for the opportunity to work somewhere that actually gives raises.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    set status = tentative hype

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    My work screwed me over today so I'll do work for someone else. Let me dig in, @Cog.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Whoever wrote that .dll made it so the timestamps are actual date objects and not just text. I could kiss them.

Note, I changed it to FTP because that's the test server I was using. Thanks, Southwest Florida Water Management District! Change that back if necessary and add the sshkey back into the options.

Also note, you need to run as admin, apparently, to import dlls like this. At least in Win 8.1
    Also also, you need to unblock the .dll file, since it's from the interwebs. In win7 just right click it and click unblock in properties. In win8, open an admin PowerShell and use Unblock-File.
    Also also also, that .dll needs to be in the same directory as the winscp.exe
    Also also also also, @Cog
    param (
        $localPath = "D:\test\ " , 
        $remotePath = "/pub/usf/ " #god damn vanilla markup. don't put  spaces in there.
    )

try
    {
        # Load WinSCP .NET assembly
        Add-Type -Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCPnet.dll'

# Setup session options
        $sessionOptions = New-Object WinSCP.SessionOptions
        $sessionOptions.Protocol = [WinSCP.Protocol]::ftp
        $sessionOptions.HostName = "ftp.swfwmd.state.fl.us"
        $sessionOptions.UserName = "Anonymous"
        $sessionOptions.Password = "thanksfor@lettingmetest.com"

$session = New-Object WinSCP.Session

try
        {
            # Connect
            $session.Open($sessionOptions)

# Gel list of files in the directory
            $directoryInfo = $session.ListDirectory($remotePath)

# Select the most recent file
            $recentFiles =
                $directoryInfo.Files |
                Where-Object { -Not $_.IsDirectory } |
                Where-Object { ($_.LastWriteTime) -gt (Get-Date).AddHours(-10) } #change this to any number of negative hours you're looking for.

# Any file at all?
            if ($recentFiles -eq $Null)
            {
                Write-Host "No file found"
                exit 1
            }

# Download the selected files
            $recentFiles | ForEach-Object {
                $session.GetFiles($session.EscapeFileMask($remotePath + $_.Name), $localPath).Check()
            }
        }
        finally
        {
            # Disconnect, clean up
            $session.Dispose()
        }

exit 0
    }
    catch [Exception]
    {
        Write-Host $_.Exception.Message
        exit 1
    }

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    CCNA recerted with a 960/1000

I think the job i wanted is being pushed through holidays as i have heard nothing. Jobs not public yet either.... or if it is i cant find it. So... ima just keep hope alive through to jan. maybe touch base with them after new year.

whew thats over!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    That's awesome Vowels.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    @Aioua‌ Very awesome indeed, thanks for taking a whack at it. I imported the .NET assembly dll and unblocked it via powershell a couple nights ago while i was tweaking the above script and failing, so should be no snags there. I believe the connection is actually over sftp but I'll have to double check. If that's the case, I'm under the assumption I just need to change the protocol line to
    $sessionOptions.Protocol = [WinSCP.Protocol]::sftp

On the lines for
    $localPath = "D:\test\" , 
        $remotePath = "/pub/usf/" #god damn vanilla markup. don't put  spaces in there.

Is that ALL the spaces or just the ones inside the "s?
    $localPath="D:\test\", 
        $remotePath="/pub/usf/" #god damn vanilla markup. don't put  spaces in there.

EDIT: Testing to see what part vanilla doesn't like
    EDIT the 2nd edit: like my first change or 2nd change?

Now, the session already exists as a saved session within SCP, is
    # Setup session options

replacable with a simple call to the session name, instead of declaring the protocol, host, user, password etc every time? And storing the password in essentially cleartext? In this case, that name is GMI

You are a gentleman scholar and I appreciate your efforts on this, the problem you are solving for me that I am solving for someone else who's job this isn't even in the first fucking place. Rest assured no one who directly profits from this work will ever be grateful to you in any capacity. It's the life we lead.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeah vanilia just treats the trailing slashes as escape charaters, which meant there was no closing quotes on those strings.
    EDIT: your first edit is nicer looking but the second would work, too. PowerShell so forgiving.

I um, don't really know about the saved session stuff. That's all to do with their .net code.

You'd be messing with the $session.open(<???>) part. There might be a way to reference pre-saved sessions.

EDIT2: I think you have to make a SessionOptions object to pass to Session.open(). I'm no coder, but I think I'm reading their documentation right:

open method
    options class

Aioua on
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Yeah vanilia just treats the trailing slashes as escape charaters, which meant there was no closing quotes on those strings.

I um, don't really know about the saved session stuff. That's all to do with their .net code.

You'd be messing with the $session.open(<???>) part. There might be a way to reference pre-saved sessions.

I'm not seeing here how it's done.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

I'm not seeing here how it's done.

Yeah doesn't look like you can.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Apparently it's not advisable to do it because reasons, but in the strictest technical sense it's "feasible".

But you can protect your passed credentials in other ways. I'll get the goddamn thing working first and worry about masking the creds later.

Well, I'll have another run at this tonight and let you know just how terribly much I do owe you for the help.

Cog on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    @Aioua‌ Very awesome indeed, thanks for taking a whack at it. I imported the .NET assembly dll and unblocked it via powershell a couple nights ago while i was tweaking the above script and failing, so should be no snags there. I believe the connection is actually over sftp but I'll have to double check. If that's the case, I'm under the assumption I just need to change the protocol line to

On the lines for

# Setup session options

replacable with a simple call to the session name, instead of declaring the protocol, host, user, password etc every time? And storing the password in essentially cleartext? In this case, that name is GMI

You are a gentleman scholar and I appreciate your efforts on this, the problem you are solving for me that I am solving for someone else who's job this isn't even in the first fucking place. Rest assured no one who directly profits from this work will ever be grateful to you in any capacity. It's the life we lead.

Winscp already stores the password in clear text if you're using a saved session.

You could always switch to public key auth, and control what gets access to the private key. That's not really that much better though - anything you automate needs crypto infrastructure behind and within it to do it securely.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

On the lines for

# Setup session options

Winscp already stores the password in clear text if you're using a saved session.

You could always switch to public key auth, and control what gets access to the private key. That's not really that much better though - anything you automate needs crypto infrastructure behind and within it to do it securely.

Yeah I think storing it in an xml and putting the security on read access to that file is probably a pretty good route.

• Options
    @Aioua‌ it totally worked. It was indeed sftp so I just had to plug in the ssh host key. The original intent was for the script to dump txt files from the ftp in one local storage, and a second script to dump pdf files in another local storage. I couldn't get the Where-Object cmdlet for $_.Extension to actually work, so I just let it grab all the files and instead a local batch file will sort the files into the proper folders.

But the short of it is it's working just fine, and you have my eternal gratitude for whatever that's worth to you.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    How many time per day am I allowed to think 'they are all idiots' before the opposite is true, that I am the idiot for expecting people to do what they say?

• Options
    How many time per day am I allowed to think 'they are all idiots' before the opposite is true, that I am the idiot for expecting people to do what they say?

I think it's an asymptote, so you should be good.

• Options
    @‌Cog
            # Download the selected files
            $recentFiles | ForEach-Object {
                IF ($_.Name -match "txt$")
                {
                    session.GetFiles($session.EscapeFileMask($remotePath + $_.Name), $txtFileSavePath).Check()
                }
                ELSEIF ($_.Name -match "pdf$")
                {
                    session.GetFiles($session.EscapeFileMask($remotePath + $_.Name), $pdfFileSavePath).Check()
                }
                ELSE
                {
                    session.GetFiles($session.EscapeFileMask($remotePath + $_.Name), $otherFileSavePath).Check()
                }
            }
        }

I am 95% sure this'll work. Hooray for regex.

• Options
    If they want to bother with it all in one script, I'll slip that in @Aioua‌
    Thanks for all the help.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ahh, I have a client with POTS that's large enough to have their own internal hardware, which the vendor is completely unqualified to support since it's old and Their Phone Guy retired years ago.

A user's handset will stop receiving calls and the display dims. I can reconnect it at the patch panel and it works again for a matter of days. Any ideas, learned men of the sysadmin thread?

• Options
    Anyone else have to work mon tue?

Population here = SPARSE.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I work today, tomorrow, and Friday.

Same next week, though I'm requesting off Friday.