As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Well folks, it looks like the rumor for July's first episode is official.
    fUpy0vb.jpg

The original Zangetsu returns, Sengoku Driver and all.

As for the movie...
    xP5dHuP.jpg

Banana Arms Gaim will be making a comeback as well, it's Lockseed being among those borrowed by Gaim for his solo fight against the movie's villain.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It's a fitting showdown, I suppose, but I'm still curious how
    Kouta will react once he finds out.

It's likely going to destroy him in a typical Urobutcher way. Perhaps once Takatora wins the fight, Kouta will step in to prevent him from finishing Micchy

How many episodes are left? It feels like it's going to wrap up real soon.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Showdown
    God I hope Micchy bites it, but probably not. I'll be happy just as long as hes not SUDDENLY REDEEMED.

Movie
    Golden apple rider looks pretty cool, not that sword & board make sense for apple....

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Inx wrote: »
    Showdown
    God I hope Micchy bites it, but probably not. I'll be happy just as long as hes not SUDDENLY REDEEMED.

Movie
    Golden apple rider looks pretty cool, not that sword & board make sense for apple....

On the showdown...
    ...I really hope it doesn't end with Takatora ending up getting killed or his Driver wrecked. A lot of fans were hoping for the original Zangetsu suit to make a return and I wouldn't put it past the show to have it come back only for one last appearance.

And on the movie...
    The Rider name for the villain is either Kamen Rider Malus (which a site claims to be a type of apple tree and is Latin for 'evil') or Kamen Rider Mars. I personally think the latter's more fitting seeing this show is supposed to be about Riders struggling against each other ala the Sengoku period so it's make a lot of sense for a villainous film-Rider to be named after a god of war in this setting.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Every time I think the last episode had a major cliffhanger, the next one ends up with something worse.

Shit went down this week, and now it's another week to find out what happens.
    What an enormous piece of shit Micchy has become.

We've got Kouta defending him in one scene, and in the next he shows no qualms leaving his sister to die out of spite.

Also, RIP USA.

• Options
    Every time I think the last episode had a major cliffhanger, the next one ends up with something worse.

Shit went down this week, and now it's another week to find out what happens.
    What an enormous piece of shit Micchy has become.

We've got Kouta defending him in one scene, and in the next he shows no qualms leaving his sister to die out of spite.

Also, RIP USA.
    Well I don't think enough missiles to wipe out a continent were launched. Most likely Roshuo simply let them rematerialize in random spots.

A proper trailer for the Gaim movie's been released and it looks to be pretty wild by the first few seconds alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8qorYglytc

Also, I found this nice foreign fanmade music-video for the show's first fight song and it's worth a watch though the rapid cuts could give you whiplash if you're not careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t-sqWaF5Bc

• Options
    So is the movie connected to the series? Are we going to need to watch it to get a conclusion to the story, or is it just some in-between inconsequential conflict?

• Options
    Unclear so far as it was said to be an AU plot initially but hints of this AU being purposefully created by one of the movie's new characters have risen up since then. Hopefully the episode in two weeks, a tie-in/promotion for the movie, will help enlighten on the movie's canonicity to the show.

• Options
    I cannot wait for the next episode. I've been waiting for this subplot to come to a head and it's finally happening.
    Takatora better win that fight. Sure, Shin Zangetsu is the stronger suit, but Takatora is a better fighter and has a stronger will.

I kinda miss the grape suit. It's one of my favorite designs, and they handed it to fucking Micchy who dropped it as soon as he got his hands on his brother's shit.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I finished watching Akibaranger 2 while my internet was out. Now I need to go read the notes for every episode to properly understand all the injokes. I'm just glad the show took the turn it did towards the end, fixed most of the little problems I had with it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JEgKnK_oRM

Kaito's time to shine next episode. It also looks like the tie-in for the movie will be more then just a bit of non-canon randomness.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    This week's episode
    Welp, that didn't go how I would have liked, but it ended up having a lot more emotional impetus than I expected and Micchy actually kinda looked upset by it when all was said and done. Maybe he'll turn it around or at least stop being Redue's dancing monkey.

Hoping Takatora aint dead.

Looks like Kouta is becoming a linymf, or at least going through whatever change they went through. Might be that DJ Sagara "helped" Roshuo too, maybe Sagara wants whoever gets the Fruit to be connected to the forest somehow or something.

Also looks like Kaito might be fucked.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen the most recent couple episodes, but I really hope
    Takatora lives. Also Oren. And then after the world is saved or whatever Takatora's like, "Sorry about being all distant and cold and not reciprocating. It was hard carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, didn't have time for love." And when Oren's all "What?" in shock, Takatora kisses him and pink animated hearts fly.

I don't know if that would be too racy for what's technically supposed to be a Japanese kid's show though.

• Options
    This week's episode:
    Man oh man, the Urobutchery was strong in this one.

I find it funny how Kouta can't beat a major boss like the Overlords before hitting maximum rage. It's almost a statement about how his empathy and idealism only impedes his ability to fight, and it's only when he abandons both that he can overcome the strongest enemies.

Also, Kouta is totally becoming an Overlord. I already had a suspicion once he started noticing his nonexistent appetite.

Bad End incoming for Kaito as well. Either he'll make a heroic sacrifice or fight Kouta for the Golden Fruit (now as a desperate final attempt to save his life).

Micchy....is pretty much done. It's not likely that Takatora survived, and this was the final push to get him to see reason. Perhaps he'll have the final sacrifice to wash away his sins, but he's not getting out of this one either way.

And here's an appropriate fan-art made in commemoration. Spoilers for Gaim and Madoka:
    Ot4l77q.jpg
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Takatora lives. Also Oren. And then after the world is saved or whatever Takatora's like, "Sorry about being all distant and cold and not reciprocating. It was hard carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, didn't have time for love." And when Oren's all "What?" in shock, Takatora kisses him and pink animated hearts fly.

I don't know if that would be too racy for what's technically supposed to be a Japanese kid's show though.
    I don't know how conservative Japan is with live television, but if Urobuchi's past shows are any indication (Psycho-Pass and, though endlessly debatable, Madoka), he has no problem depicting homosexuality.

I don't see this happening though. At least, not anymore.

I have no idea what to make about the next episode preview. Looks like a filler/non-canon episode?

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    This week's episode:
    Man oh man, the Urobutchery was strong in this one.

I find it funny how Kouta can't beat a major boss like the Overlords before hitting maximum rage. It's almost a statement about how his empathy and idealism only impedes his ability to fight, and it's only when he abandons both that he can overcome the strongest enemies.

Also, Kouta is totally becoming an Overlord. I already had a suspicion once he started noticing his nonexistent appetite.

Bad End incoming for Kaito as well. Either he'll make a heroic sacrifice or fight Kouta for the Golden Fruit (now as a desperate final attempt to save his life).

Micchy....is pretty much done. It's not likely that Takatora survived, and this was the final push to get him to see reason. Perhaps he'll have the final sacrifice to wash away his sins, but he's not getting out of this one either way.

And here's an appropriate fan-art made in commemoration. Spoilers for Gaim and Madoka:
    Ot4l77q.jpg
    Mayabird wrote: »

I don't know how conservative Japan is with live television, but if Urobuchi's past shows are any indication (Psycho-Pass and, though endlessly debatable, Madoka), he has no problem depicting homosexuality.

I don't see this happening though. At least, not anymore.

I have no idea what to make about the next episode preview. Looks like a filler/non-canon episode?

Half-filler to tie in with the movie.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Oh man, so much HEALING in this week's episode.
    I was really hoping Kouta would finally stop holding back and give Micchy the wailing he deserves.

Instead, it looks like his deep-end into madness somehow powered him up, and Kouta still can't bring it to himself to fight at full power.

Also, Ryouma looked so silly in those shorts.

• Options
    I was really hoping Kouta would finally stop holding back and give Micchy the wailing he deserves.

Instead, it looks like his deep-end into madness somehow powered him up, and Kouta still can't bring it to himself to fight at full power.

With any luck
    Kaito will start using the Melon lock seed and either Micchy will get wrecked by the spiritual successor to his brother's legacy or Redue will just force feed him a Helheim fruit.

Micchy is such a shit but I'm glad theyre advancing him past "petty liar asshole" to "off the deep end villain".

Also, dat Takatora ghost...

• Options

With any luck
    Kaito will start using the Melon lock seed and either Micchy will get wrecked by the spiritual successor to his brother's legacy or Redue will just force feed him a Helheim fruit.

Micchy is such a shit but I'm glad theyre advancing him past "petty liar asshole" to "off the deep end villain".

Also, dat Takatora ghost...
    There's still the chance Micchy can turn things around with a heroic sacrifice/redemption. Urobuchi has been quoted often of being a Star Wars fan after all.

It would be kind of a cop-out, but it also keeps Kouta from receiving a full-on Bad End, since he deeply believes Micchy can still be saved.

Conversely, if he ends up losing his sister due to Micchy's human sacrificing, that could be the final push to have Kouta finally bring down Micchy utterly.

Where does Gaim fit tonally with previous Rider shows? I'm used to all the Urobutchery, but I'm wondering if this has proven to be a massive shock to longtime fans. It sounds like the series has had its fair share of character deaths and twists, but Gaim's continually downward spiral into gloom and doom can't be the norm for that series, I would imagine.

• Options
    News about the Gaim solo-movie has trickled in from bilingual viewers in Japan when it comes to the plot.
    If what's being said is true, the movie's villain Kogane AKA Kamen Rider Mars/Malus is like the Kiwami Lockseed in that he's actually a piece of a Forbidden Fruit abiet brought to life. He sets the Riders upon each other violently in order to later absorb them and use them to either unlock and/or increase his power. The other new character, Lapis AKA Kamen Rider Kamuro is an Overlord in human form and is suggested to be Kouta's counterpart amongst them much like Kaito/Demushu, Mitchy/Redue and Takatora/Roshuo, receiving his Silver Apple Lockseed from Sagara. The 'Soccer World' in the movie is said to be less of a proper alternate reality and more of an overlayed retcon made by Lapis as much like Kaito in the tie-in episode, at least Kouta and Mitchy are slipped into the roles of their Soccer World selves suddenly. A theory has come up that the movie itself takes place past whatever big end-confrontation Kouta and Mitchy are going to have as Mitchy in the movie realizes that he's in another world almost right away by seeing Takatora alive and basically going 'You? But you're...!' but otherwise acts closer to how he was before he settled on murder being the best idea to solve things.

• Options
    Let me tell you about Kamen Rider Faiz.

In Faiz, the bad guys are Orphanocs, who are basically mutant zombies. They die, then come back to life as animal or plant based monsters, that can shift back to human form as well. So, just to start off, that means literally every bad guy you see has canonly died as a human before appearing. The first few episodes are mostly about some of the supporting cast dying and turning into Orphanocs. Most of them immediately get revenge by horribly murdering anyone involved in their death or ruining their life. An entire gym full of high school girls are killed in like the second episode. One guy dies in a coma and wakes up as an Orphanoc to find his wife left him, remarried and moved on, and now hates that he's back and bothering her. At one point, one of the Orphanocs just walks into crowded clubs and burns everyone alive, multiple times.

By the end of the show, almost every main character has died. Kids are made into orphans, and show up repeatedly in foster care, not doing well. People have their dreams crushed and lives ruined. One of the main good guys basically rapes the female lead. And he's still considered a good guy after that, because he's better than the guys that want to murder every single human and make it a purely Orphanoc world.

And in the movie? They succeed.

Like 90% of all humans are dead, Orphanocs rule the world. Here's a clip of an arena full of Orphanoc civilians (an actual stadium full of KR fans) cheering for their champion (who was played by the first ever non-Japanese KR, and who only spoke in perfect English) to kill humanity's last hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiTdOY311hU

Sunday morning kids' show!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So I guess the Rider shows aren't canonical.

Small wonder Urobuchi loves this series. :\

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So I guess the Rider shows aren't canonical. :o

what do you mean?

the shows are the true story, the movies are generally alternate "what if"s

if you mean with other Rider shows, they typically aren't connected, consider it like Final Fantasy, each one is its own universe but with certain themes that carry through

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I meant in regards to the "90% of humans are dead" line, but I suppose if it's a "what-if" then I guess they could still fit with other Rider shows.

In Gokaiger they established that all the Sentai shows take place in the same universe, so I was just wondering if the same applied to the Rider series.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    I meant in regards to the "90% of humans are dead" line, but I suppose if it's a "what-if" then I guess they could still fit with other Rider shows.

In Gokaiger they established that all the Sentai shows take place in the same universe, so I was just wondering if the same applied to the Rider series.

if Decade is any indication, each of the Rider shows seem to take place in their own respective worlds, and then there are separate Decade-specific clones of those worlds.

Decade also seems to show that the Riders basically don't give a shit about barriers between worlds and can go to the other worlds at will.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    The accepted canon is that the shows from Kuuga to Decade are all their own separate realities with the last series jumping to what-if versions of the previous nine shows. Double to Wizard are all within the same reality pretty much due to the Movie Wars meetups. We'll probably have to wait to see how Gaim ends to know if it fits in with the shared universe, it's own separate one or if it starts a brand new shared universe with at least Drive.

• Options
    That's about it. Also all of the Showa Riders shared the same universe, they were all basically direct sequels and crossed over all the time. Then an episode of OOO clarified that the Decade and after world is (basically) the same as that one, as they shot a film within the show about the history of Kamen Rider. Then Decade/Diend can also go between their world, alternate worlds for all the pre-Decade Riders (including alternate Showa worlds) and the sentai world.

And then they started doing yearly sentai/KR crossovers. And then there was a sentai/Metal Heroes crossover.

For Faiz specifically, yes, the movie is an alternate future scenario that diverges during the early episodes, probably around the time they filmed or released it. A lot of the movies aren't 100% canon. W's are basically perfect, while OOO's rewrites the plot completely and changes most of the characters, for no real reason.

For anyone curious, PreCure does the same basic thing...everyone is from the same world, but nobody ever references any of the other shows (or times the world was invaded or cities blown up or whatever) outside of the yearly crossover movies.

Snuggles, if you like magical girls and KR, you should definitely check out PreCure. Everyone else should give it a shot, too. Even the people that create it know that their target audience is both little girls and adult males. I think the best season is HeartCatch, which I really loved. And it gets a ton of praise, even from people who usually hate these shows. Even the art style is totally different from the other years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvlnOE_Xr-c

A kung fu girl that uses a tambourine to shoot Macross Missiles...there's also a dramatic beam battle in space near the end of the series, along with a bad guy made out of Jupiter. (He's so big he just punches Earth. Like, he tries to fistfight the actual planet.)

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I don't think anything will convince me to watch a little magic girl show

maayyybe Kill la Kill if that counts but only because I like Gainax

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Let's not have this turn into an anime thread and get shut down, okay?

• Options
    Yeah, I don't want to go way off topic with that. But it's basically animated tokusatsu, so it deserves a mention alongside Samurai Flamenco, Shinesman and Astro Fighter Sunred.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    oh I didn't realize we couldn't talk about anime, weird

so Micchy
    will he in the end make a final act of redemption due to his broghost conscience
    or will he go down fighting, and by who

maybe Kaito and Micchy will double KO, Kaito sacrificing himself since he's turning anyway, and to save Mai

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Hey, anyone up for seeing Kamen Rider Drive's gear and the possible name to the show's villains thanks to toy catalog scans?
    OvtNmCH.jpgpzXH146.jpg
    First images from catalog of upcoming Kamen Rider Drive leaked.

As previously reported, Kamen Rider Drive will be transforming with the Drive Driver. He does so by using tiny cars called Shift Cars together with his belt and bracelet (AKA the Shift Brace). The belt and bracelet will work together through Infrared. When Drive transforms, he can access different forms called Types. The red Shift Car allows him to transform into Kamen Rider Drive Type Speed. The black Shift Car is called Midnight Shadow, which is paired with an item called the Midnight Shadow Tire.

Kamen Rider Drive also has a car called Trideron.
    Other Shift Cars that were mentioned by a user on 2ch before the scans were posted:

The Drive Driver and Shift Brace come with two Shift Cars: Shift Speed and Shift Max Flare.

Other than that there’s Shift Wild, Technique, Midnight Shadow, Funky Spike, Spin Mixer, Massive Monster, and Dream Pegasus.

The Trideron uses the following Shift Cars: Justice Hunter (police car), Mad Doctor (ambulance), and Fire Braver (firetruck).

Chaser Shift Cars: Chaser Spider Viral Core, Bat Viral Core, and Cobra Viral Core.
    Don’t know what Chaser is exactly, it might be the villain group or another Rider. “魔進” is written before Chaser but I don’t know what it means. Listing these as rumours until the rest of the catalogue confirms it.
    As I wrote to the Kamen Rider Drive tumblr.

They're called Mashin Chasers. "魔進チェイサー" literally, Advancing/Proceeding Demon Chasers. Most likely the villains this time around. Spider and Bat were the first to monsters Rider 1 fought. Max Flare is for the special attack. Drive is only a silhouette in the toy catalogs. TK figuers will be able to ride the DX Trideron. Trideron has a sound gimmick and changeable wheels. The poster makes it seem like only Speed, Wild and Technique are Types. The other ones might be attacks and what not.
    There's also no signs of a bike according to that poster.

• Options
    Drive Driver, really ?

I wonder why the car has wheels hanging off the back

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Drive Driver, really ?

I wonder why the car has wheels hanging off the back

so you can drive while you driver when you're driving while you're driving.

#sorryi'mnotsorry

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    I doubt this is the real purpose, but I imagine it driving around pointing straight up with the four back wheels on the road which is pretty dang silly

also the car reminds me of the Cybertron games version of Sideswipe

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I know it isn't going to happen but I'm going to be very disappointed if the main dude doesn't have a scorpion jacket.

• Options
  • Options
    I know it isn't going to happen but I'm going to be very disappointed if the main dude isn't Ryan Gosling.

Kamen Rider Drive is my dream toku

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    So, due to certain events, a Rider-identity in Gaim hasn't been seen for a while. That's about to change though as shown in these scans.
    QO8SBCD.jpgoBSB687.jpg5kNda4k.jpg

And someone might do the unthinkable.
    BaUIwcZ.jpg

• Options
    Oh man, I'm excited by both those prospects.

How many episodes of Gaim are left, anyway?

• Options
    Re: that scan-
    That's Redue's halberd, isn't it? He's gonna kill Redue and get a grape kachidoki lock seed out of the deal and take Redue's halberd to boot. LOVE IT.

Also Kaito is a brave man and his bravery will see him through.

This discussion has been closed.