Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread: FF XV on Siesta, Partake in the Fiesta.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh yeah, it was absolutely a PS3 game. Hell, it was announced originally as FF Versus XIII way back in 2006 (at around the same time as FFXIII's own announcement IIRC).

They even had a fancy trailer for it and everything.

edit- Ah, Type-0. Of course.

At any rate. In regards to what I said above about FFXV, I have to imagine the difference between what was originally Versus compared to what is now FFXV is probably similar to the difference between what was originally FFXIV and what is now FFXIV: ARR.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, didn't specify I was talking about Type-0's console port.

Edit: And here's the Kotaku report: http://kotaku.com/eight-big-final-fantasy-type-0-hd-questions-answered-1628600728

80% done=still a year away.

Square Enix, folks!

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So apparently my local Gamestop isn't taking preorders for Curtain Call. Not sold out or anything, just flat-out not taking them.

Guess they don't want my money then!

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if this means that it won't just be a strict remake and they're throwing in some extras.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    According to Schreier's Kotaku interview, SE is releasing Type-0 HD first to make sure their fan base has a current gen console for when XV hits. Still pretty funny that Type-0 will see two versions before XV even sees one.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...so that's why its strictly next-gen? They're basically gauging interest?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Still seems like they're throwing money away by ignoring current gen.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I will totally not buy a new console for a PSP port. Sorry SE, that isn't how this is going down.

If this is how they are gauging metrics now, I have no words.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah if they're doing it to gauge interest then. . . good luck? I guess. I mean I love Final Fantasy, but I'm not going to buy a PS4 for a PSP port, even one in fancy HD. Now if I already had a PS4, then hell yeah I'd buy this (and probably eventually will).

If it was released for the PS3 however, then that'd be day one purchase. Even at $60.

So. . . yeah. I agree with @cj iwakura‌ that they're basically just leaving money on the table here.

What I hope doesn't happen here (but sadly wouldn't be surprised by) is that they release for next gen only, are disappointed by the sales, and conclude that western audiences don't care for non-mainline FF games. :?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Creator of Final Fantasy on Twitch:

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    PS4 and xbone are the current gen
    ps3 and 360 are last gen.
    let them die

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Nah.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    let them die

you're saying this in relation to a port of a psp game :rotate:

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    If only there were some thing that was newer than a PS3, yet cheaper to develop for than a PS4 that is more suited to Type-0's gameplay and overall design, and is already in a lot of hands.

Hrm.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Nobody in the interview used the words "gauge interest". They're telling their fan base to get a PS4 if they want to play FF.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    If only there were some thing that was newer than a PS3, yet cheaper to develop for than a PS4 that is more suited to Type-0's gameplay and overall design, and is already in a lot of hands.

Hrm.

Ooh! Ooh! I know!

The 3DS?

Renzo on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    let them die

you're saying this in relation to a port of a psp game :rotate:

Not sure what you mean. PSP games have an equally close relationship with ps3/360 as they do with ps4/xb1. In that they're not similar, 360 and Ps3 games are leagues of magnitude more advanced. PSP games are most similar to Ps2 games... So it would make SOME sense to insist on a Ps2 port if that was your argument. Since no one is doing that, it seems like a Ps4/Xb1 version makes just as much sense as a 360/Ps3 version. Now one could argue that the much larger installment base on 360/Ps3 COULD lead to a more successful game, but then again late entries into established series (like Gears of War Judgment and God of War Ascension) were very UNsuccessful of late. Possibly suggesting that generational fatigue is causing people not to buy perceived old news. I'm not saying those games are great, but Square surely noticed how each Final Fantasy XIII game sold worse than the last. Starting over on a new platform to a possibly fresher audience almost certainly sounds like a promising idea.

• Options
    If they want the money they'd release it on everything.

Hell, Bungie is doing just that with Destiny.

There are still 100+ million last gen consoles floating around out there with intact digital delivery systems. As opposed to the maybe(?) 15 million current gen.

If it just so happens most of your copies are sold on current gen, then sweet more power to ya. But for the most bang for your buck you should shotgun it on everything since there'd be very little reason not to.

My only and I'd argue very real fear is that they release this on current gen only, it doesn't sell so hot (or not as well as they'd hope) and so they decide localizing non-mainline FF games in the West is a waste. And I say "very real fear" since this exact mentality has afflicted S-E before.

• Options
    Type-0 is a relatively quick and cheap port job. The project they really need to recoup costs on is XV, and to sell copies of XV, they need people to own PS4s and Xbox Ones.

• Options
    Expecting any game to be a system seller is, IMHO, naive. Expecting a port job of a PSP game to be a system seller? Pure fucking madness.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Can we have a link to that Kotaku interview? I'd like to see the quote before going in on it.

• Options
    It's not a system seller, it's a stopgap. And I'm glad they're embracing the new consoles instead of clinging to the old machines and portables like they did last gen. Their inability to handle the last gen consoles is partly why they're in such a shitty position now.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    By the time the game comes out, the "new" consoles will already be on the market for a year, year and a half. Does it really need to justify being a system seller by then?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    From what I understand the sales for the PS4 are extremely good and the X1 isn't doing too bad itself. So, I guess I can understand it to some extent.

That said I really have to see the game in action because I really doubt you couldn't get a remake of a PSP game to play on the PS3/360.

• Options
    EvilpolarbearEvilpolarbear Registered User regular

Good.
    Chrono Trigger is fantastic, and retreading old ground with those characters with Cross kinda messed it up.

Not everything needs a sequel.

• Options
    I would sooner see Sakaguchi take a crack at a new Chrono sequel than any of the other sequels Square did approve.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    I like how we didn't even get through half a thread before returning to the endless cycle of bitching.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I'm surprised we got as far as we did.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    This is like a record, really.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Finished the Fiesta while I still had time and I need to vent one very specific frustration.

Fuck geomancers. They're the worst.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And today at PAX Hironobu Sakaguchi revealed: He fought for a true Chrono Trigger sequel, and turning in into a franchise like Final Fantasy, but Square's upper management smacked the idea down, and he lost the battle.

Queue facepalming heard in a crescendo across the internet at Square's management.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    You're a bit late on the news, but the grief will last forever.

I was and still am on board for a Chrono 3.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I broke down and just imported Type-0 for my PSP rather than wait for the HD.

It's not great. I'm really disappointed. I think I built it up too much in my head.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Chrono Trigger 4 was shit and too cinematic-y. CT6 was when the series went back to its roots.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Chrono Trigger 4 was shit and too cinematic-y. CT6 was when the series went back to its roots.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Lets be honest here. CT6 started the problems that made CT9 such a bad game.

• Options
    I've heard Type-0 is like Crisis Core, which is great.

Still wouldn't buy a PS4 for it. Bloodborne, sure, then Type-0 on the cheap, maybe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Square Enix: some of your favorite and best video game properties, held back by what might be the industry's most incompetent leadership.

As for Type-0, if I ever dig myself out of my localized Vita backlog, it's fighting against Sen no Kiseki for the first game I download/import and pretend to understand.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    bss wrote: »
    Square Enix: some of your favorite and best video game properties, held back by what might be the industry's most incompetent leadership.

Nah. As bad as SE is at least they seem to be recovering and purchasing Enix has been working out great for them.

Now, Capcom. Yeah, they win that contest hands down.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    bss wrote: »

Nah. As bad as SE is at least they seem to be recovering and purchasing Enix has been working out great for them.

Now, Capcom. Yeah, they win that contest hands down.

In terms of holding stuff back, I think we'll call it a draw. SE is certainly doing better now but that is after years (given the Sakaguchi stuff, possibly decades) of leadership having no sense of what to focus on, and the recent "huh, turns out people globally like our JRPGs, we had no idea" revelation is just straight up embarrassing. Like maybe Capcom leadership just hates Inafune for some reason, but otherwise they seem to have a generally decent idea of what their fans are buying, even if it's often only done half-right and they want more.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
This discussion has been closed.