As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Really, really enjoyed Avengers World #9. Shouldn't have it read while winding down for bed though. I've never had banana bread waffles, but oh god do I want to try some.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I sadly was not a fan of that book, but sure, he counts.
    I can understand why people might not dig on it right now. It's got a bit of a slow start but I'm still having fun seeing a totally new character get a handle on all this wacky shit going on. It's been a bit of a slow burn (hehu) but I think the pacing has been appropriate considering everything that's happening to Robby. I think once he, and the comic in general, finally gets its footing it's gonna be a whole lotta fun and people will come around to it.

This Spirit of Vengeance is definitely not the status quo Spirit, that's for sure. I can't wait to see what the fuck is up with that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Bullio wrote: »
    They've been using that outfit in the comics since Trial of Jean Grey ended.

Doing some quick googling- http://nomoremutants.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-meet-the-original-x-men/
    It looks like Starlord's still wearing his Marvel NOW costume not the movie costume. I think the the spiffiest costume was actually the Annihilation: Conquest costume, with the bike-helmet helmet.

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    Zyrxil wrote: »

Doing some quick googling- http://nomoremutants.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-meet-the-original-x-men/
    It looks like Starlord's still wearing his Marvel NOW costume not the movie costume. I think the the spiffiest costume was actually the Annihilation: Conquest costume, with the bike-helmet helmet.

Hence why I said since it ended.

https://www.comixology.com/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-2013-14/digital-comic/92109

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Honestly if I were going to make a female Thor book I would not use Thor at all

I'd use one of the various female Gods with cool myths and powers and so on that ancient legends are built from

I feel that would be the best of both worlds, new female character with her own distinct identity, plus you can read about the Thor you love as well!

I'd buy the shit out of an Athena series or whatever and that could be really great, but as it is I kind of feel (maybe irrationally) that my toys are being taken away and replaced with new toys when actually I really like the toys I have and would perhaps prefer more toys instead of a swap.

I don't think that feeling of having your toys taken away is really apt because everything about this direction feels to me like an extension of they were already doing.

But, to be perfectly frank, even if it is one of your toys being taken away - so be it. You have a bunch of other toys in prominent positions in terms of Marvel storytelling that can fill that void. The people who are having this toy given to them, do not.

And no Solar, I'm not saying that you're the kind of person who only cares about and wants to read about white dudes. Of course you aren't, and I totally believe you'd buy the female led book. But there's a prominence that this situation can give these new characters that would never be achieved otherwise. And there's power and value to that.

I'm sure you can understand why I might be apprehensive about the story for Thor himself, as while you think that this seems to flow naturally from where he is now as I've said I disagree with that and I don't think the character is going in a direction I like (though I may be wrong). Really this isn't about the new character at all for me, it's more about the existing character who is one of my favourites for various reasons. So in that sense, I do feel a little like my toy is being taken away, if I don't enjoy reading Thor any more that's a book that I am not getting every month.

From a social perspective I can see the benefits of this new character inhabiting Thor's role, as it were, but from a personal perspective it seems like it will be a loss for me so I am a little put out. As I said earlier this information has been released to jazz people up and it doesn't jazz me up, which I feel is a fair response. Ultimately I can accept a change for social benefits but that doesn't make me like something any more as a piece of entertainment, and I do wish that we could have got the best of both worlds.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Hence why I said since it ended.

https://www.comixology.com/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-2013-14/digital-comic/92109

In case, my point was that the trenchcoat and mask looks bad when it's not on space-Indiana Jones from the Planet of the Outlaws. Marvel seems schizophrenic on the topic of making changes to comics to avoid confusing movie viewers. On the one hand they'll slowly write out White Nick Fury, but on the other they'll have approve Spider-Ock and Female Thor storylines. Are they really seeing any returns from moviegoers being exposed to comics? Just keep it all separate.

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Or maybe the artist just really liked his movie costume.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think the costume works totally fine in the comics?

I mean it is just a trenchcoat with a mask he has already worn for years

Plus, he is still Space Indiana Jones with his band out Outlaws. The Guardians are on the run from every major galactic power and the first issue of Star-Lord's solo book was about him trying to get a powerful artifact off of a populated world but getting captured by the Badoon in the orphanage it was hidden at.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also, while I really like the original Marvel Now costume, it is a very poor fit for Peter Quill.

It is some Buck Rogers MAN OF THE FUTURE space armor more Iron Man than Indiana Jones. Peter Quill is a guy who should have two guns, his mask, maybe some jet boots and not much else. He gets by on his wits and his trigger finger, not fancy space armor.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No news thread right now so putting this here

Comichron-ICV2-2013-infographic.jpg
    The market for comics and graphic novels in the U.S. and Canada reached $870 million at retail last year, according to a new estimate prepared jointly by ICv2’s Milton Griepp and Comichron’s John Jackson Miller.

“I’ve been networking with Milton on questions of the numbers underlying the business since he was at Capital City Distribution and I was editing Comics Retailer magazine back in the 1990s,” Miller said. “It’s been great to formally collaborate on these estimates for the first time, and I think the result is the most inclusive and accurate picture of the market either of us has ever been able to produce.”
    “I’m very excited about the market model this collaboration with John has produced,” Griepp said. “I’ve always had great respect for John’s work in the area of comic sales, and putting our heads together has enabled us to build a model that all can use to analyze and understand the market.”

As presented in the accompanying infographic, the 2013 analysis by ICv2 and Comichron was divided up between periodical comics (what some call “floppies” or “pamphlets”), graphic novels, and digital download-to-own sales. Graphic novels contributed the largest portion ($415 million) and comic books nearly as much ($365 million), and digital (based on numbers released yesterday by ICv2) continued to grow faster than the market at $90 million. All print figures are calculated based on the full retail price of books sold into the market, and do not account for discounting or markup.

According to the report by Comichron and ICv2, comics periodical sales occur primarily in the comics store channel ($340 million) and to a declining degree in the “newsstand” channel ($25 million). For book format products, well over half of all graphic novel sales ($245 million) occur in the book channel, with a smaller share ($170 million) in the comics store channel.

ICv2 and Comichron also collaborated on market estimates for 2011 and 2012, revising earlier estimates by both. According to the new report, comics periodical sales grew from $300 million in 2011 to $335 million in 2012; graphic novel sales grew from $390 million in 2011 to $400 million in 2012; and combined comics and graphic novel sales grew from $690 million in 2011 to $735 million in 2012.

“It’s great that the comics market has found new ways to grow even as the over-all book and magazine markets remain challenged,” Griepp said. “It’s proof of the fundamental entertainment and literary value of the comics medium.”

“According to our records here at Comichron, without adjusting for inflation, this is the highest dollar value the market has reached since 1993,” Miller said. “That’s great for the business, and we’re excited to see what comes next.”

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So it seems like Remender is planning on finally fixing Falcon's origin:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54167
    The "Avengers & X-Men: AXIS" event will bring Sam and the Red Skull face to face. We know Cap has a history with the Red Skull, but the Falcon did, too. What's your sense of the enmity between Sam Wilson and Johann Schmidt?

Sam's empathic powers, his connection with Redwing and birds, is something that grew out of his adventure of trying to take down the Red Skull when he had the Cosmic Cube. The Red Skull is a guy who tweaked reality with the Cosmic Cube to create "Snap" Wilson, to try and defame Sam, which is something that we will be digging into.

There never was a "Snap" Wilson. "Snap" Wilson was a construct of the Red Skull. He was an attempt to defame Sam. So Sam has a very personal grudge against the Red Skull.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Good. Get that criminal past out of there.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also, while I really like the original Marvel Now costume, it is a very poor fit for Peter Quill.

It is some Buck Rogers MAN OF THE FUTURE space armor more Iron Man than Indiana Jones. Peter Quill is a guy who should have two guns, his mask, maybe some jet boots and not much else. He gets by on his wits and his trigger finger, not fancy space armor.

Which is pretty much what Starlord was for years.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »

For like two miniseries in the 70s

The Peter Quill of nowadays and the Peter Quill that showed up in the 70s are barely even the same person

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Dizzy D wrote: »

For like two miniseries in the 70s

The Peter Quill of nowadays and the Peter Quill that showed up in the 70s are barely even the same person

Oddly enough, when Peter first popped up in Annihilation, the point was he was the Buck Rogers past his prime. He was space Nick Fury, complete with cyber implant eyepatch.
    GwQJwIu.jpg
    VCXHVKu.jpg
    81pn0Vq.jpg
    TocYaYs.jpg

They slowly morphed him into the Halo Solo type when Conquest and Guardians of the Galaxy came around. Even Giffen intended the Star Lord Conquest mini to be space Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    I think I have a good guess as to what the big secret Tony has that threatens the X-Men/Avengers alliance in Axis
    The Extremis download Tony is offering people contains the, almost certainly optional, ability to deactivate or even destroy the mutant gene.

We already know Extremis 2.0 can rewrite genetic code to such a degree that it can give the Hulk Banner's intellect, so it isn't unfeasible and offering the option to "opt out" of being a mutant certainly seems like a SUPERIOR Iron Man move.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think I have a good guess as to what the big secret Tony has that threatens the X-Men/Avengers alliance in Axis
    The Extremis download Tony is offering people contains the, almost certainly optional, ability to deactivate or even destroy the mutant gene.

We already know Extremis 2.0 can rewrite genetic code to such a degree that it can give the Hulk Banner's intellect, so it isn't unfeasible and offering the option to "opt out" of being a mutant certainly seems like a SUPERIOR Iron Man move.

Giving people a no string's attached option seems pretty low key. Why are the X-Men gonna care about that if it's not being forced on anyone? If anything, doesn't Extremis basically make you into a mutant since it's completely rewriting you?

I think is gonna veer into a way more fucked up direction:
    Tony and his brother are already working on making the perfect city. An idealized city of the future.

Extremis will let them create the idealized human of the future.

CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARD THE EUGENICS TRAIN!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Giving people a no string's attached option seems pretty low key. No, I think is gonna veer into a way more fucked up direction:
    Tony and his brother are already working on making the perfect city. An idealized city of the future.

Nah that seems too stupid for Tony. Like he's a futurist but his head isn't that far in the clouds. Taylor has said Superior Iron Man will be a dick but not indefensible

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Giving people a no string's attached option seems pretty low key. No, I think is gonna veer into a way more fucked up direction:

Nah that seems too stupid for Tony. Like he's a futurist but his head isn't that far in the clouds. Taylor has said Superior Iron Man will be a dick but not indefensible

Ah, well, nuts. An arc where
    his brother starts filling Tony's head with all sorts of supervillain grade ideas like that would be pretty neat. He could be the Dr. Wily to Tony's Dr. Light until they split up due to Tony telling him to fuck off with that shit.

Is Tony having a brother a spoiler worthy thing these days or is that common knowledge now?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Giving people a no string's attached option seems pretty low key. Why are the X-Men gonna care about that if it's not being forced on anyone? If anything, doesn't Extremis basically make you into a mutant since it's completely rewriting you?

Well, the X-Men make a habit of pretending mutants are a "species" in complete defiance of all scientific standards for use of the term and nobody ever calls them on it, so I wouldn't expect a totally rational response from them on this sort of thing.

Unfortunately I can easily see a story like this completely making Tony the bad guy for giving people an option other than MUTIE PRIDE and ending with some facepalmingly cliche Wheel of Morality pronouncements about embracing who you are, you're perfect just the way you are, blah blah blah...

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited July 2014

his brother starts filling Tony's head with all sorts of supervillain grade ideas like that would be pretty neat. He could be the Dr. Wily to Tony's Dr. Light until they split up due to Tony telling him to fuck off with that shit.

Is Tony having a brother a spoiler worthy thing these days or is that common knowledge now?

On that topic,
    why do I feel like the 'Stark indirectly caused Hulk' retcon is really really stupid, but the 'Stark had a brother we never heard a word about before' retcon is really really neat?

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The X-Men did have a fit about the cure in Whedon's first Astonishing arc, where there was no strings attached (except to Colossus because of the Breakworld prophecy).

Beast was actually all for the cure, and Wolverine kind of bullied him into not taking it because it would be a black eye for one of the most respected mutants to just give up the fur.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    The root of the problem is that the mutants have always been used (and sometimes even used well!) by Marvel's writers to make points about civil rights, prejudice and discrimination against various socially-disadvantaged groups, etc.

(This is another reason the whole idea of mutants being a separate "species" is asinine - if the point you're trying to make with mutants is "People who are different are still human and deserve to be treated with decency and respect," your point gets muddled when the people who are different go on and on about how they are literally not humans.)

Now, if you have a mutant choose not to be a mutant anymore when the mutants are your stand-in for socially disadvantaged groups... the implications get troublesome and you run the risk of pissing people off... and that's probably why there's so much resistance to the idea of somebody willingly choosing to not be a mutant anymore given the chance in the comics, even if rationally and objectively they have every right to make that choice and it would be perfectly understandable.

If a mutant is just a mutant, there's no reason why somebody shouldn't be able to choose not to be a mutant. But as long as people read mutants as an allegorical stand-in for ethnic minorities, gays, etc., then the idea of someone rejecting mutation takes on a different and more loaded meaning.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    James Stokoe is the reason I have bought my first Marvel comic in months. And it was good. No Ultron. Just the right amount of ridiculous. Glorious art, and a happy ending. I haven't felt this good about a comic book since Brandon Graham took over Prophet. Why will they not let this man do Spider-'Nam?

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

This sounds pretty solid to me. On paper it's a modest proposal, but I can imagine some...stuff that can move it into rougher territory.
    First off, there's already some real-world analogues for this premise. There's controversy in parts of the deaf community about cochlear implants, as it allows parents to 'cure' deaf children, which some see as not only wrong, but potentially leading to the removal of deaf culture from the world-essentially the erasure of all world history, thought, and artwork that was influenced and cultivated through the act of being deaf, past and future.

Secondarily, in the Marvelverse with Extremis, I can very easily imagine somehow the Extremis becoming in some way underwritten or corrupted, allowing it to act as a contagion that an outside party might be able to use to nerf mutantkind. That to much easily sounds like the sort of clusterfuck Tony Stark could find himself in, where he can't prove he isn't the one snuffing mutant powers while so many mutants are stripped of some of the most innermost fundamental qualities of their identities.

I would be good with that, assuming the reveal isn't dumb.

Linespider5 on
  • Options

On that topic,
    why do I feel like the 'Stark indirectly caused Hulk' retcon is really really stupid, but the 'Stark had a brother we never heard a word about before' retcon is really really neat?
    Probably because while the initial plot hook is silly in a soap opera way, Tony's brother has proven to be so 100% absolute fucking awesome that nobody gives a shit.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Cross-postin
    I'm kind of surprised no one has talked about the issue of Amazing Spider-Man this week, as it introduces Silk.

It is also really bad.
    Well, first off, Spider-Verse and Morlun killing his way through the Multiverse's Spider-People is 100% Peter's fault. Freeing Silk, "The Spider's Bride", is what sets off Morlun and Peter was warned by Ezekiel via a recording that it would happen and he does it anyways.

Then Silk is revealed to be Cindy Moon, Peter's Asian-American classmate who was taken in by Ezekiel as a teenager after her powers went nuts and kept in captivity for like a decade. She's faster and more agile than Peter but not as strong, which is kinda fucked up in the same way lady fighting game characters are always weaker than men

and finally they end up fighting because Peter tells her Morlun has died twice so she rightfully points out that he can apparently come back to life, you idiot so he's probably still gunning for them. However something happens during their fight, very primal instinct-y, and they end up making out on a roof.

The same issue he meets the girl.

Here are some of the things I mentioned:
    E6LaPUK.jpg?1
    qTzJurV.jpg?1
    NqOFEZs.jpg?1
    I'm really disappointed in Slott and might actually drop the book because Spider-Verse does nothing for me and this whole issue and Silk's debut is just a mess

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Considering Morlun and the spider-totem were some of the least-well-received parts of Peter Parker's relatively recent history (anybody else remember the spikes? Or Morlun's sister?), the fact that they brought them back amazes me.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    So, I'll be honest about this week's issue of Amazing Spider-Man...
    I kinda find Peter's attitude of "Well, I've already killed Morlun twice; he's not that big a deal" to be rather amusing.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Considering Morlun and the spider-totem were some of the least-well-received parts of Peter Parker's relatively recent history (anybody else remember the spikes? Or Morlun's sister?), the fact that they brought them back amazes me.

I had the same reaction with all the Draco stuff resurfacing for Nightcrawler's return.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Man, if they're going with Spiderpeople Romance, after
    she fucks Pete

she better
    devour his severed head

on principle.

• Options
    Announcement time: The "Uncanny X-Force" team of Remender, Jerome Opeña and Dean White are teaming for an in-continuity original graphic novel titles "Avengers: Rage of Ultron," scheduled for release in April 2015 -- right before Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Age of Ultron" hits theaters.

Remender said that he and Marvel senior vice president of publishing Tom Brevoort wanted to do something like "The Killing Joke" in "Rage of Ultron," a graphic novel that stood on its own but had a significant impact on continuity. "By the end of it, we will have a whole new Ultron, a whole new status quo, and we will have set something up that leads to exciting plans. And Starfox is going to play a big role."

TKJ wasn't meant to be canon, but sure! Those three make wonderful comics, so there's absolutely no way I'm not reading this. Very excited to see what they come up with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So Slott is basically Nightwinging Spider-Man?

It's that kind of thing that always makes people reluctant with new writer specific characters.

• Options
    Angela-Asgards-Assasin-Hans-Variant-7f003.jpg
    Angela: Asgard's Assassin by Gillen, Bennett, Jiminez and Hans

and
    Captain_America_and_the_Mighty_Avengers_Luke_Ross_Cover.jpg?1406317197
    relaunched Mighty Avengers with Ewing and Luke Ross. Blade leaves, Spider-Man joins.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I don't like that cover. At first I interpreted the star-spangled part as a cape that Falcon-Cap is wearing, and I was like, "He's going to have a cape suddenly?", and then I got confused because the direction of the "cape" would suggest he's flying downward feet-first but his head and arm positions suggest he's flying up towards the top of the page. And why does he fly with his arms held out in front when everybody else has their arms at their sides? And doesn't the classic Superman-style hero flight position have the arms forward with the fists clenched? Hands open looks like he's surrendering, or throwin' his hands up in the air like he just don't care.

• Options
    Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm just unhappy with the fact that I really wanted another Cage-led team, and they have barely touched him at all in this book. Now, I'm worried he's going to go from "team leader" to another background character in the book. I mean, Falcon is cool, and I like the idea of his new role as Cap, but for Cage fans like me, I'm really left wanting in this book.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what your problem with his hands is, Falcon flies with his hands open pretty often.

Falcon_Intro_Image.jpg

bp-falcon-1.877x1.5.jpg

He's not wearing a cape, he's just using his wings like he always does.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure Falcon suddenly becoming Captain America and being the figurehead for the team Cage founded and is leaving himself will be a plot in the book

You guys aren't giving Ewing enough credit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The more I look at that Angela picture the more things I find wrong with it that really bother me and they're pretty much all costume related.

She needs a redesign ASAP.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    The more I look at that Angela picture the more things I find wrong with it that really bother me and they're pretty much all costume related.

She needs a redesign ASAP.
    Yeah, I am completely shocked they are still going with that design given how gung-ho they have been about giving female heroes better costumes

CYpGAPn.png