As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

40 Years of Weird Al

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    It was already #1 on the only site that mattered: Amazon.

Yeah, but then I also had to buy something I didn't even need to get free shipping.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I feel like that video wise, he went out with a whimper, not a bang. I appreciate funny pictures as much as the next person, but eh.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When will we know if Mandatory Fun hit #1?

Billboard chart for last week comes out on Wednesday.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I feel like that video wise, he went out with a whimper, not a bang. I appreciate funny pictures as much as the next person, but eh.

Not a big fan of the song, either. I think I actually like it less than Sports Song. It's like the Dilbert of Weird Al songs.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The video did have some neat dark moments though. It's a shame the song is so empty and bland. I know it's meant to be parodying empty and bland corporate mission statements but it doesn't really do anything beyond do what they already do. I've seen real mission statements at least as bland and full of meaningless corporate lingo as Al's song.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I liked it.

I don't want to argue about it but I didn't want the thread to just be people shitting on the new video.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I mean, I love the new Al-bum! I don't want to just blindly say it's perfect though. I'm not trying to shit on anybody's (mandatory) fun. I just want to be honest about my impressions of each song/video.

It's only really a shame because the other 10 tracks on the disc are so amazing. I've been showing Jackson Park Express to anyone who will listen and trying (and failing miserably) to learn the polka on my accordion.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    I like Mission Statement better than Jackson Park Express, so there

mkc.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Having worked in the corporate world for a while, and having seen a lot of those rsa whiteboard videos, I laughed harder at the Mission Statement video than I did any of the others. It doesn't have any super bizarre twists until the end, but it's funny in its pure distilled banality and meaninglessness. Each individual drawing has a bunch of effort spent on saying absolutely nothing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The video did have some neat dark moments though. It's a shame the song is so empty and bland. I know it's meant to be parodying empty and bland corporate mission statements but it doesn't really do anything beyond do what they already do. I've seen real mission statements at least as bland and full of meaningless corporate lingo as Al's song.

I can't find it now but I think there's an established term for cases where reality is so absurd that it's nigh-impossible to parody because the two would be indistinguishable. I feel that applies here.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    I like Mission Statement better than Jackson Park Express, so there

What an appropriate avatar...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    poe's law?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the video is getting some unfair flak because people were expecting one of the bigger name songs like the polka to be the one that caps off the week.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    poe's law?

I suppose that applies, but I've always taken that to refer more to statements that are ambiguous due to a lack of context clues. I thought there was a different term for situations that are so inherently absurd that they transcend parody.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Poe's law, in broader form, states:

Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

The core of Poe's law is that a parody of something extreme, by nature, becomes impossible to differentiate from sincere extremism. A corollary of Poe's law is the reverse phenomenon: sincere fundamentalist beliefs can be mistaken for a parody of those beliefs.

It's not quite it, but it's close. I was hoping that wikipedia might have had what we're looking for in the 'see also' section but no, it didn't.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Poe's law, in broader form, states:

Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

The core of Poe's law is that a parody of something extreme, by nature, becomes impossible to differentiate from sincere extremism. A corollary of Poe's law is the reverse phenomenon: sincere fundamentalist beliefs can be mistaken for a parody of those beliefs.

It's not quite it, but it's close. I was hoping that wikipedia might have had what we're looking for in the 'see also' section but no, it didn't.

I'm aware of the phenomenon you and OmnipotentBagel are describing and I think you're spot on.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Overall, I think this was a really interesting and clever way to launch an album.

For me, the first three were probably the strongest videos, which probably works out the best for getting the album exposure. They were all really great.
    Handy, for me, suffers from the original song being garbage. The video is entertaining enough, and has a good idea, but the execution doesn't quite capture what they seem to be going for.
    Sports Song, I'll have to watch again, but the joke seems to be how the video is playing it more or less straight? I find myself not really having much of an opinion on it one way or the other.
    First World Problems was pretty good. A bit too much green screen, but I can give that a pass knowing that there was barely any budget for most of these. I'm also aware that I tend to care about green screens way more than is reasonable. So yeah, enjoyable video.
    Lame Claim to Fame, for one of the weaker tracks on the album IMO, had a really neat video.
    Mission Statement is another one I'll have to watch again. The video seemed a bit light on actual humor, but I have to respect the effort and style.

All told, it was a fun and ambitious way to promote his new music, with plenty of effort and thought put into it, and I think it went really well. Releasing these over a week makes it feel like more of an event. It seems to have worked too, and I hope the album is very successful.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The Geek wrote: »
    More direct!

Tacky

WOW that was quite a god damn shot
    I wonder how many takes they did?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    More direct!

Tacky

One long take, apparently.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    If anybody is interested in the previously mentioned playlist of all the Weird Al polkas here you go http://open.spotify.com/user/magell2/playlist/0atVOLyxHqzdNpxgsA4AK8

You say that as if we don't have Al's entire discography on our phones at all times, including a separate playlist that is just the polkas

Wait, what?

Oh, that's just me then?

I assume most people are lazy like me and just click on an artist and listen through all the artists music over and over again.

We should try and come up with a top 20 Weird Al playlist as a group. Maybe everybody gives a top five with a weighted voting system could work well.

Dare to be Stupid
    Hardware Store
    Smells Like Nirvana
    Eat It
    White and Nerdy

This is a list I can get behind.
    Throw Amish Paradise in there too.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    You Make Me
    Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota
    Pancreas
    Dog Eat Dog
    Germs
    Why Does This Always Happen To Me
    Since You've Been Gone

Beverly Hillbillies For Nothing and Eat It and some other ones should probably be on there, but I get confused by parodies of songs that are already great

mkc.png
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    More direct!

Tacky

Each attempt at recording a particular shot is a "take." I was wondering how many times they had to try recording that shot (how many "takes") before they were happy with it, not whether the shot was very long and continuous (it was, as you said). Sorry for being technical.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Given that the original "Happy vids were one take, they probably did the same with Tacky to be authentic, though there was obviously a lot more choreography. We'll find out eventually.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Weird Al did an AMA on Reddit, in which he mentions Tacky was one long take, but I think he said they did it several times to get it right.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Yeah he mentioned that he got a good workout that day because every take he had to dance and then run down to the ground floor while changing his clothes

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One shot, several takes to get it right.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    My Weird Al top five

Since You've Been Gone
    Everything You Know is Wrong
    Don't Download this Song
    Albuquerque
    You Don't Love me Anymore

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I will love the Amish Paradise video forever because of the rewound part, it's just so perfect that he managed to mouth everything backwards. Followed by Smells like Nirvana and White and Nerdy.

I found most of his videos for this albulm kinda meh, save for Foil and Tacky.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    White and Nerdy is his masterpiece as far as I'm concerned

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    More direct!

Tacky

Each attempt at recording a particular shot is a "take." I was wondering how many times they had to try recording that shot (how many "takes") before they were happy with it, not whether the shot was very long and continuous (it was, as you said). Sorry for being technical.

I believe he said six takes on Never Not Funny

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Weird Al did an AMA on Reddit, in which he mentions Tacky was one long take, but I think he said they did it several times to get it right.

So was Margaret Cho unable to nail "droppin' names almost constantly" in any of them? Or was that the best take overall with just that one small flaw?

And I wonder if Jack Black had different moves for each take...

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Syphyre wrote: »

So was Margaret Cho unable to nail "droppin' names almost constantly" in any of them? Or was that the best take overall with just that one small flaw?

And I wonder if Jack Black had different moves for each take...

To her credit, she was the only one who had to perform her part while walking away from the camera, which would be a bit trickier coordination wise.
    Plus, yeah, if everyone else nailed their part, and the entire thing is an unbroken shot, it very well could have been the best 'overall' take even if she had better ones.

• Options
    It isn't like the song is actually supposed to be coming from them, though, right? I just saw it as they were singing along with it and dancing, so the lips might not line up perfectly and that's fine.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It isn't like the song is actually supposed to be coming from them, though, right? I just saw it as they were singing along with it and dancing, so the lips might not line up perfectly and that's fine.

Again, the original was specifically a lip sync video where not everyone hit it right on, not even Pharrell. So that was pretty much fitting. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I will say, I keep forgetting 'Inactive' exists.
    Mainly because 'Radioactive' is a song that's neat once or twice, and then very quickly becomes super boring.

Like, Fancy is garbage, but Radioactive is such a nothing song.

• Options
    Damn it, I got adjusted to waking up to a new video every day.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I would like to hear a Tom Waits style parody at some point, now that Al has been freed from the stifling shackles of traditional release structures.

• Options
    I kinda miss him incorporating accordion into his parodies.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I kinda miss him incorporating accordion into his parodies.

That's definitely something I noticed on this one. I would have also enjoyed a guest rapper on Word Crimes, like Cheech showing up for Taco Grande.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    God Weird Al is such a badass accordion player. He seriously does not get enough credit for his work on the instrument because, I don't know, it's not mainstream like a guitar? Some of the lead runs on songs like Everything You Know Is Wrong are in-fucking-sane.