Options

Melon [chat]

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    All of you should already have Shadowrun Returns, but incase you don't: Steam Summer Sale: $3.74, and the DLC is $5.99.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I go on reddit sometimes when I want to see good pictures or interesting articles, because frequently it is a place where you can find good pictures.

But I find the culture abrasive and overflowing with 18-25 year old nerdy maleness.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Hey, everyone was paying attention to me last page.
    I liked that, can we go back to doing that?
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    holy shit

this vid is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDSiwqM2nw

@Thomamelas‌ was talking about Sprey earlier. I guess he has a bit of an axe to grind, but it's not like I have a hard time believing that there is probably something insane/retarded/deeply fishy about a "do-everything" plane that costs $200m a pop
    -snip-
    Might I ask your opinion on the F-35/SB?

I assume you mean the F-35B variant? I think it's kind of a goofy design but most STOVL designs are. I think the Marines have a compelling argument for why a force focused on amphibious invasions needs something goofy. They need the ability to support an invasion force that may or may not have access to an airfield. And they may not have support from a carrier. So organic air makes sense and you're talking about specialized needs. Personally I think it should have been a separate design, and that the Harrier needs replacing. I suspect it's replacement will be a STOVL aircraft but one designed from the ground up as one without comprises.

I think it's the worst of the F-35 variants but that it's better then trying to maintain the Harrier. And in a CAS role, the stealth will be pretty important for protection against MANPADs.
    Nooope. SB.
    Things start to go SB by page two, and it just escalates from there.

But yeah Marines you do not need your own jet.

Forgive me but it's been a long day and I really don't have any interest in trying to read through a forum thread to try to puzzle out what you mean. But I disagree about the idea of the Marines not needing their own aircraft. They've got a weird niche role and it's one that requires air support. And they can't count on the Navy to have a carrier near by all of the time. Shifting a carrier group isn't trivial and you don't do it quickly. So the Marines need a degree of organic air support that doesn't need a proper airfield or can work off a helicopter carrier.

...I find this argument uncompelling. These services aren't out picking and choosing their own missions - they're supposed to operate as combined force, that's been the goal and objective of pretty much all modern military thinking.

I'm struggling to think of a situation where you'd be invading something with the marines, and for some reason not be tasking a carrier group to support the effort - especially since in an actual large scale conflict, anyone who's killing carrier groups is going to have no trouble killing makeshift short runways in the middle of wherever the hell.

A couple of situations spring to mind. Situations where rapid response is critical. We keep Marine expeditionary units forward deployed so they can be somewhere in 24 to 48 hours. The hypothetical battle plan for Grenada called for this. They went a different way but the idea is for somethings like a large scale hostage situation or a situation where you need to protect/evacuate aid workers you may need to have Marines in place as quickly as possible. Another scenario is the island hopping in WWII. Marines often made invasions unsupported by carriers. There are a finite amount of carriers but lots of places to invade. Another situation is misdirection. You can quietly move an MEU. You can't quietly move a carrier group.

For a large scale war it's likely they would have a carrier group. For smaller situations they very well may not.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I actually think the only other reddit I have been on is the naked user-submitted pics reddit because people said what the name of it was and I was like I LIKE NAKED PEOPLE

that one is confusing because sometimes you click and it takes you to imgur and sometimes it doesn't

idk I am too old for this newfangled technology

i am a p savvy reddit user but i am exactly this way about twitter

i just don't understand..

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    All of you should already have Shadowrun Returns, but incase you don't: Steam Summer Sale: $3.74, and the DLC is $5.99.

I am pretty sure even Jesus said the same thing.

• Options
    As a rule I don't judge anyone for what they like, I judge them for how they act.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Awwww yyyeeeaaahhh
    Just had tapas with the missus and we're going home to bake a pie. This Friday night is off da ccchhhhaaaiiiinnnn

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Winky wrote: »
    As a rule I don't judge anyone for what they like, I judge them for how they act.

*acts out Waiting for Godot*

Neco on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'd say judging someone for the reasons why they like something is probably fair game though.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I actually think the only other reddit I have been on is the naked user-submitted pics reddit because people said what the name of it was and I was like I LIKE NAKED PEOPLE

that one is confusing because sometimes you click and it takes you to imgur and sometimes it doesn't

every time I go to sxsw I am like, I will start a twitter and do it right this time

and every time, I tweet once and then it languishes until the following year

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    hmm... $2.49 to upgrade to shadowrun deluxe just to get the soundtrack seems p alright

i enjoy that soundtrack

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    oh sure i can trust the person with the shadowrun returns avatar to give me advice on buying shadowrun returns

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    hmm... $2.49 to upgrade to shadowrun deluxe just to get the soundtrack seems p alright

i enjoy that soundtrack

Doo eeeeet

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    oh sure i can trust the person with the shadowrun returns avatar to give me advice on buying shadowrun returns

conflict of interest conflict of interest

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I'd say judging someone for the reasons why they like something is probably fair game though.

Only if it has a negative influence on their behavior.

• Options

You can always trust Neco.

Now, me? Nah. I'll always be pimpin' Radioshack.

• Options

UMM EXCUSE ME

THIS AVATAR IS FROM SHADOWRUN: DRAGONFALL, THE EXPANSION.

AND ALSO, YES, YOU SHOULD TRUST ME.

(Actually, don't...I hate suggesting games to people because if they end up hating it, then I feel awful...)

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don't judge people for what they like

i judge them for accidents of genetics they have no control over

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

UMM EXCUSE ME

(Actually, don't...I hate suggesting games to people because if they end up hating it, then I feel awful...)

i love suggesting games to people because i have literally perfect taste and if somebody doesnt like a game i suggest they are literally a pheasant

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Well I mean, if someone like Tom Kratman's books because they agree with the way he depicts the world
    I think you can probably say that they are a terrible person.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014

omg i'm not alone!

ChelleYeah on
    I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I really love the animation in Mononoke

It is so weird

(Contains like, 3 frames of non-sexy butts, so possibly nsfw)

http://youtu.be/-X5DmF6dTiU

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    holy shit

this vid is hilarious

@Thomamelas‌ was talking about Sprey earlier. I guess he has a bit of an axe to grind, but it's not like I have a hard time believing that there is probably something insane/retarded/deeply fishy about a "do-everything" plane that costs $200m a pop
    -snip-

I assume you mean the F-35B variant? I think it's kind of a goofy design but most STOVL designs are. I think the Marines have a compelling argument for why a force focused on amphibious invasions needs something goofy. They need the ability to support an invasion force that may or may not have access to an airfield. And they may not have support from a carrier. So organic air makes sense and you're talking about specialized needs. Personally I think it should have been a separate design, and that the Harrier needs replacing. I suspect it's replacement will be a STOVL aircraft but one designed from the ground up as one without comprises.

I think it's the worst of the F-35 variants but that it's better then trying to maintain the Harrier. And in a CAS role, the stealth will be pretty important for protection against MANPADs.
    Nooope. SB.

Forgive me but it's been a long day and I really don't have any interest in trying to read through a forum thread to try to puzzle out what you mean. But I disagree about the idea of the Marines not needing their own aircraft. They've got a weird niche role and it's one that requires air support. And they can't count on the Navy to have a carrier near by all of the time. Shifting a carrier group isn't trivial and you don't do it quickly. So the Marines need a degree of organic air support that doesn't need a proper airfield or can work off a helicopter carrier.

...I find this argument uncompelling. These services aren't out picking and choosing their own missions - they're supposed to operate as combined force, that's been the goal and objective of pretty much all modern military thinking.

I'm struggling to think of a situation where you'd be invading something with the marines, and for some reason not be tasking a carrier group to support the effort - especially since in an actual large scale conflict, anyone who's killing carrier groups is going to have no trouble killing makeshift short runways in the middle of wherever the hell.

A couple of situations spring to mind. Situations where rapid response is critical. We keep Marine expeditionary units forward deployed so they can be somewhere in 24 to 48 hours. The hypothetical battle plan for Grenada called for this. They went a different way but the idea is for somethings like a large scale hostage situation or a situation where you need to protect/evacuate aid workers you may need to have Marines in place as quickly as possible. Another scenario is the island hopping in WWII. Marines often made invasions unsupported by carriers. There are a finite amount of carriers but lots of places to invade. Another situation is misdirection. You can quietly move an MEU. You can't quietly move a carrier group.

For a large scale war it's likely they would have a carrier group. For smaller situations they very well may not.

I sort of think multiple small geographically diverse conflicts are probably a bit more likely than something large against an equivetech nation.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Also, I love the fact that there was already a hypothetical plan to invade Grenada just sitting there in a binder before anyone started pondering an actual invasion.

• Options

Assuming they're not being paid off, doesn't that just mean they like it?

Or should one only take purchasing advice from people who dislike the item in question?

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    did a horde of chatters get SoaSE: Rebellion???
    @tarranon @gooey

@Dynagrip‌

i will if others do, but i have not yet

speak soon, tho, as the sale....draws to an end

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options

UMM EXCUSE ME

i love suggesting games to people because i have literally perfect taste and if somebody doesnt like a game i suggest they are literally a pheasant

Should I reinstall Bayonetta while I wait to find my next job to buy Revengeance?

• Options

every time I go to sxsw I am like, I will start a twitter and do it right this time

the problem i have with using twitter is not having any desire to cast my pithy comments into a void and wait for someone to repeat them

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Or should one only take purchasing advice from people who dislike the item in question?
    i only take my game purchasing advice from surrealitycheck
    he tells me to buy platinum games and i ignore him. its a wonderful system we have.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    holy shit

this vid is hilarious

Thomamelas‌ was talking about Sprey earlier. I guess he has a bit of an axe to grind, but it's not like I have a hard time believing that there is probably something insane/retarded/deeply fishy about a "do-everything" plane that costs $200m a pop
    -snip-

Nooope. SB.

I sort of think multiple small geographically diverse conflicts are probably a bit more likely than something large against an equivetech nation.

Also a possible scenario.

• Options
    cause i mean

i can do that here

• Options

UMM EXCUSE ME

Should I reinstall Bayonetta while I wait to find my next job to buy Revengeance?

y

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular

• Options
  • Options
    megatron just discovered the secret escape passage from the white house for use in times of extreme national threat

• Options
    aXNCDsc.jpg

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    megatron just discovered the secret escape passage from the white house for use in times of extreme national threat

FINALLY A REASONABLY SIZED CHAIR

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

the problem i have with using twitter is not having any desire to cast my pithy comments into a void and wait for someone to repeat them

it seems like a lot of people use twitter in the same way they use tumblr: not as content creators but as curated zones for the stuff they like or find important

• Options

it seems like a lot of people use twitter in the same way they use tumblr: not as content creators but as curated zones for the stuff they like or find important

like their own thoughts

i'm not really this cynical about it, i just don't really use it for anything other than a news feed

• Options

Well I mean, if someone like Tom Kratman's books because they agree with the way he depicts the world
    I think you can probably say that they are a terrible person.

I don't really believe in terrible people, just ignorant ones and tragic ones.

This discussion has been closed.