Options

Melon [chat]

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Perhaps once we are done affirming the importance of loving acceptance of what is, we can have a discussion about Beginner's Mind.
    Well I mean, assuming I'm supposed to take your claim literally, there are at the very least a wide variety of other positive emotions other than love, and each point in that spectrum applies to different situations. The idea that it would always be love as opposed to ever being something else is absurd.

I believe the argument is that all positive emotions belong in the broad category of love.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    cB you should read Atlas Shrugged it is a very informative and brilliant work

That is not funny.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    (i'm going to hell for that, aren't I)

if that's what tipped the scale it probably would have happened eventually

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    NEVER TURN DOWN ALWAYS TURN UP

except when you're EQing

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Alright, I'm fairly certain I've got at least three stock "Atlas Shrugged is terrible" memes that I can use here. Anyone have any preference for which one I use?
    Perhaps once we are done affirming the importance of loving acceptance of what is, we can have a discussion about Beginner's Mind.
    Well I mean, assuming I'm supposed to take your claim literally, there are at the very least a wide variety of other positive emotions other than love, and each point in that spectrum applies to different situations. The idea that it would always be love as opposed to ever being something else is absurd.

I wasn't making a statement about emotion but rather judgment. You can be happy, sad, hurt, or whatever, and still choose to act on love.
    That can be said... about anything else, really.

cB557 on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm fairly certain I've got at least three stock "Atlas Shrugged is terrible" memes that I can use here. Anyone have any preference for which one I use?

Don't use memes.

They're terrible.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    also, no one buy the stanley parable for 10 bucks. i don't think it's worth it. just replay portal a few times.

• Options

That is not funny.

Look Happy you're liable to hurt someone talking like that.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

except when you're EQing

EVEN when you're EQing

u have to remember ur ABCs desc

Always

Be

Clippin

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I believe the argument is that all positive emotions belong in the broad category of love.

Not quite.

Someone hugs me -> this is an act of love!
    Someone flips me the bird -> this person obviously is in need of love at some level, whether they just woke up on the wrong side of the bed or what.

All human action can be interpreted as either love or a call for love.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    wait

our children are growing up already knowing atlas shrugged is stupid?

on the one hand I embrace our glorious progressive future but I can help feeling a noble tradition has been lost

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

Don't use memes.

They're terrible.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5793222/url.gif

mod edit: inlined huge GIF.

Elki on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Wait what age is the correct age to be sexing things by forum consensus?

When it's not a crime and is consensual.

Enthusiastic consent++

Ehh. Enthusiastic Consent === consensual.

My friend is actually writing her dissertation on consent and sex. She's helped convince me that consent ought not to be how we judge the appropriateness of sexual contact.

Because there are times where there is not consent but there is clearly nothing wrong done, so a lack of consent can't really be the wrong making property.

She thinks it has to do with sexual identity, which looks like consent, but isn't. It's interesting, though I haven't done a whole lot of reading because it's well outside of my area of study.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    please no memes

no memes ever

memes are bad

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    my advice to the world, don't stop caring. or drinking

• Options

except when you're EQing

EVEN when you're EQing

Always

Be

Clippin

The red lights mean you're winning, right?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    did a horde of chatters get SoaSE: Rebellion???
    @tarranon @gooey

@Dynagrip‌

i refuse to buy games

gaben does not own me

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    The air gets thin on TL DR's tightropes sometimes.

It's what causes his hippy lapses.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Sooo... Interesting concept.

Is Atlas Shrugged the movie(s) worse than Atlas Shrugged the book?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

Enthusiastic consent++

My friend is actually writing her dissertation on consent and sex. She's helped convince me that consent ought not to be how we judge the appropriateness of sexual contact.

Because there are times where there is not consent but there is clearly nothing wrong done, so a lack of consent can't really be the wrong making property.

She thinks it has to do with sexual identity, which looks like consent, but isn't. It's interesting, though I haven't done a whole lot of reading because it's well outside of my area of study.

I'd be interested to hear this argument and also her examples, because consent is pretty much the crux of modern theories of sexual ethics.

• Options
    please no memes

no memes ever

memes are bad

dont listen to this troll

memes are the best and should be posted always

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Memes and reaction gifs are poison to being a socially adept person

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Don't use memes.

They're terrible.
    url.gif

Think about it like this, kid.

Memes are not original thoughts. original thoughts are the best. go with those.

• Options

except when you're EQing

EVEN when you're EQing

Always

Be

Clippin

The red lights mean you're winning, right?

they wouldn't call it peaking if it didn't mean you reached the top

• Options
    @tarranon i just got the 4pack of SoaSE rebellion. one's for you.

• Options
    btw inanity aside that image is like 2MB and people are getting jailed for >500kb

you may want to edit it out

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

That is not funny.

It was, uh, a test! Yes! A test!

And our young padawan has passed flawlessly!

• Options
    The air gets thin on TL DR's tightropes sometimes.

It's what causes his hippy lapses.

also this metaphor is a lot more literal than one might think

• Options
    tarranon i just got the 4pack of SoaSE rebellion. one's for you.

new expansion or something?

• Options
    bubyahbahbahbahbajkhbahbhabhahb

• Options

http://i.imgur.com/unBONwQ.gif

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Don't use memes.

They're terrible.
    url.gif

Think about it like this, kid.

Memes are not original thoughts. original thoughts are the best. go with those.

there are no original thoughts left

everything worth saying has already been said

thus, doge to your hearts content

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    dying laughing here. or should i be the good guy

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

http://i.imgur.com/unBONwQ.gif

ok that gif is pretty good tho

• Options

Not quite.

Someone flips me the bird -> this person obviously is in need of love at some level, whether they just woke up on the wrong side of the bed or what.

I think put that way it's somewhat reductive, but I agree with the general sentiment.

One can also be motivated by need, or by justice (which is, I think, the most dangerous motivator of all).

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    my advice to the world, don't stop caring. or drinking

itt Dyna encourages cirrhosis

• Options
    i have done what i can, the rest is in god's hands

• Options

If you're pro tier, you produce memes, not recapitulate them.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Enthusiastic consent++

I'd be interested to hear this argument and also her examples, because consent is pretty much the crux of modern theories of sexual ethics.

Hell, informed consent is pretty damned pivotal to modern ethical theory writ large.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

Not quite.

I think put that way it's somewhat reductive, but I agree with the general sentiment.

One can also be motivated by need, or by justice (which is, I think, the most dangerous motivator of all).

If viewed as tools of love, justice can be a good and compassionate thing. Our current implementation of justice is failing because it relies not on love (ie good outcomes) for victims, perpetrators, and society but rather seeks to achieve vengeance.

This discussion has been closed.