Options

There's a new SE++ [Football] thread. Post there.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Since I'm reading football books, I will highly recommend "Pep Confidential", about Pep Guardiola's first season at Bayern Munich by a journalist that was allowed almost complete access throughout the season. Even if you're not a Guardiola or Bayern fan, the insights offered into the workings of a top coach at a top club are amazing.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I've heard very good things about Amy Lawrence's book on the Invincible's as well, and David Goldblatt (The Ball is Round) has a new one out about the EPL.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    D.C. one voting session away from getting a stadium

cautious optimism time

I'm gonna miss RFK.

Like, as a sporting venue in general.

I know it's run down, but there's still something about it that appeals to me.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    bouncy stands?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Actually, yeah.

I'm totally gonna miss the feel of the stands bouncing under my feet whenever I went to see philly play DC at RFK, and all excitement mortal fear that came with it.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Since I'm reading football books, I will highly recommend "Pep Confidential", about Pep Guardiola's first season at Bayern Munich by a journalist that was allowed almost complete access throughout the season. Even if you're not a Guardiola or Bayern fan, the insights offered into the workings of a top coach at a top club are amazing.
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I've heard very good things about Amy Lawrence's book on the Invincible's as well, and David Goldblatt (The Ball is Round) has a new one out about the EPL.

The Last Champions by Dave Simpson is absolutely essential reading for all right-thinking football fans.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Looks like Landon's going out with the Cup.

• Options
    fuck

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    This Lampard BS is such a bummer, man. As Lando Calrissian once said, "this deal is getting worse all the time!"

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I think you'll still get him back for the start of the season in March, and you're training over here pre season so it's not too bad

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Spare a thought for poor Chelsea.

• Options
    Never.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Liverpool have really regressed...

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Hermano wrote: »
    I think you'll still get him back for the start of the season in March, and you're training over here pre season so it's not too bad
    The reason they're training in Manchester is so MCFC could keep him longer and they could try to get some practice together. And then Pellegrini spelled it out plain as day. He tried to couch it in platitudes about how important MLS is but he doesn't really give a fuck.

Goose! on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So at the start of the year, I wrote this about Ivan "The Godfather" Vicelich announcing his international retirement.

This month,

- that's him, there on the right, standing next to multi-millionaire world class footballers, getting 3rd in the FIFA Club World Cup for player of the tournament at age 38, for captaining Auckland City to an outrageous third place finish.

I don't think I can put into worlds how unbelievable this is. I'm stuck dumb by this achievement. I mean, how awesome is that? How ridiculous, how unbelievable? Just... wow.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    The ridiculous Lampard saga is over and its a fucking embarrassment. First, it came out that Lampard would be staying in England through the end of the season, which feels like a big fuck you to NYCFC and its fans. Then, to add to the bullshit nonsense, a separate report came out saying that Lampard was signed as a MCFC player and not signed with NYCFC at all. So not only is it a disgrace, but its bullshit, too. I'll be requesting a refund on my season tickets on Monday when my rep is back from vacation.

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    So at the start of the year, I wrote this about Ivan "The Godfather" Vicelich announcing his international retirement.

This month,

- that's him, there on the right, standing next to multi-millionaire world class footballers, getting 3rd in the FIFA Club World Cup for player of the tournament at age 38, for captaining Auckland City to an outrageous third place finish.

I don't think I can put into worlds how unbelievable this is. I'm stuck dumb by this achievement. I mean, how awesome is that? How ridiculous, how unbelievable? Just... wow.

Have to say for quite a few moments I was even more struck by the fact that Ronaldo's trophy was a levitating ball.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Diarmuid wrote: »

God I hope he ends up partnering Frankie Lamps.

In 2016, I mean. When Frank finally plays in MLS.

Bucho on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Word is he's headed for the Galaxy, but nothing official yet.

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Boy, that's a real punch in the gut.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Bucho wrote: »

As any England fan knows all too well, the one thing you don't want is Lampard and Gerrard playing together.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    But now they can get in eachother's way in a totally new area of the pitch.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Bucho wrote: »

As any England fan knows all too well, the one thing you don't want is Lampard and Gerrard playing together.

That was the (apparently failed attempt at a) joke.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Chivas usa 2.0

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Saw this floating around today.

B6OEo1iIQAEFWJl.png:large

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    So the official policy according to a dude that had a chat with an online service rep is to not issue refunds. I'm definitely not renewing.

• Options
    So I guess this whole MC/NYC situation isn't so bad, could be worse:

• Options
    edited January 2015
    So is Lampard missing the fist half of the MLS season before going to NY, or is he just not going at all?

I don't know. I guess I don't understand wanting a refund on season tickets over just one player. Although, I can sort of understand it if it's more about the dishonesty of the whole thing.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Its not just the player. Its all the signs that its exactly what people thought it was, a farm team, when I was hoping it would be more of its own entity since the Yankees were involved in part. Ah well.

• Options
    Yeah I can understand that. Kinda sucks that for all the talk from Garber about NYC being this hugely important market for MLS that is supposedly under-served by the league, they end up giving the spot to a group that will inevitably treat it like a younger sibling.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    I've never been into soccer in the US before, and now I'm learning all sorts of shittiness, like how the Galaxy are getting Gerrard and that's that, no chance for him to go anywhere else (simliar to the Jermaine Jones to New England nonsense).

• Options
    Isn't that because players are contracted to the league rather than the teams or something? So the league can distribute the star players how they want

That might explain why Lampard's contract is with Manchester City and not New York so the league can't move him somewhere else

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, players technically sign with the league rather than individual teams. It's part of the single entity structure, and for all its faults it has actually served the league well during the years when it seemed like a errant gust of window could have folded the league

However, dissecting MLS' rules and regulations when it comes to player acquisitions is not a good way to maintain strong mental health. The best way I've heard it described is "A wizard did it."

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    An asshole wizard who is too fixated on the "big" markets of LA and NY.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Although all the NY whining about that piece of shit not coming over is kind of funny. How many more 9/11 jokes did you want him to tell?

Either you want to get with the team or not. You still have david villa if you want your big name you babies.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Although all the NY whining about that piece of shit not coming over is kind of funny. How many more 9/11 jokes did you want him to tell?

This is such a load of bollocks, jesus christ

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    It happened, I was there.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Was the joke any good?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options