As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Our Final Boss is not the biggest bad

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, I need a lot of work. I didn't get FF till about 14 minutes, and dragon was a little scary to just run in and do it at 6, but damn if this isn't fun. Farm all day, go back so you can outright buy full items. I was also afraid that FF > Triforce would leave me lacking in the defenses, but with leveled turtle you deal so much damage it barley matters.

tl;dr: Thanks a ton for all the advice, it really helped.
    FF at 14 is actually pretty good. I tend not to get mine until around 16-18 even, actually, because I prefer to gank or countergank a lot even on Udyr and get lanes rolling. This keeps morale up as opposed to just promising people "I'll carry, no really". And yeah, first back Dragon is nice but you can leave it for a couple minutes if you have to for safety. If you do it at 5 and if you have a slightly late 5, it's very risky (I had to bail out on first Dragon trying it at level 5 that game, actually, due to aforementioned shenanigans involving Wukong meaning I got there late and Dragon was just a bit too tough). Waiting to 6 or even 7 makes it very easy to solo instead.
    Roz wrote: »
    There are some heroes that are very good at carrying games that changes a bit as you move up the ratings ladder, probably due to a number of effects.

That said, here are some that I think are very powerful in their respective brackets:

Bronze:
    Amumu
    Volibear
    Sejuani
    Annie

Any character with a hard initiate and good AoE damage is incredibly effective in bronze as people tend to position terribly, and panic when they are low. Thus being able to initiate and put damage on people will win most teamfights.

Silver:
    Amumu is still strong, others fall off a bit.
    Leona
    Morgana
    Braum

Silver is where supports really start to shine and the pick potential of these champs is huge, and will often lead to victories. Plus this is still the land of "most tank wins" as ADCs and APCs can't position correctly, and having a beefy frontline will help them do damage.

Gold:
    Akali
    Katarina
    Fiddlesticks
    Fizz

Gold is like the uncanny valley of LoL. The mechanics are better, the positioning is better, but the map awareness and objective focus are still incredibly poor. It's also, for some reason, difficult for Gold players to stop these heroes once they start to snowball. In plat, people would buy pink wards, stack their CCs correctly, and save their flashes for their ults. Effectively shutting down these heroes. But in Gold, the players are good enough to initiate and kill with these heroes, but defensively, thy aren't seemingly good enough to protect themselves from them.

Plat:
    Not sure as I haven't climbed out of it ever, but if I were to hazzard a guess, anyone who can control the map so:

Pantheon
    TF
    Teleport Tops
    Bronzodia:
    bronzodia__the_forbidden_one_by_artsed-d6vs15d.jpg

Goldemort:
    goldemort__the_one_who_must_not_be_named_by_artsed-d6uny2m.jpg

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Damnit roz, I'm trash at all of those gold champs. Well, I've never played akali.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Gold is like the uncanny valley of LoL. The mechanics are better, the positioning is better, but the map awareness and objective focus are still incredibly poor. It's also, for some reason, difficult for Gold players to stop these heroes once they start to snowball. In plat, people would buy pink wards, stack their CCs correctly, and save their flashes for their ults. Effectively shutting down these heroes. But in Gold, the players are good enough to initiate and kill with these heroes, but defensively, thy aren't seemingly good enough to protect themselves from them.

Gold feels like it has a lot of players who are used to winning and don't know how to react when they fall behind, which is what makes snowballing champions very effective there.

I know I get absolutely terrified if an enemy mid laner picks Akali or Fizz.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Lovely. Get a queue pop quickly with Gnar. Someone complains and I end up kicked. Ten minutes for another pop... someone immediately leaves and room disbands.

There is no fucking way that there isn't at least one other open top slot waiting, but it keeps resetting the queue timer each time so BACK OF THE LINE. God fucking dammit. I should not half to wait half an hour and still not have a game because every time the queue pops someone is a fucking asshole. I'm fairly sure they could be dodging in ranked, and STILL get another game before me.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Plat:
    Not sure as I haven't climbed out of it ever, but if I were to hazzard a guess, anyone who can control the map so:

Pantheon
    TF
    Teleport Tops

I think that you are right that controlling the map is important but i think that you're wrong that these champions control the map. None of them do so inherently without a lot of foreknowledge and skill which preclude you from being plat. Basically, if you're dunking clowns with TF you can probably dunk clowns with Xerath of Ziggs instead.

No, the problems in Plat related to champions are

1) Engaging

2) Engaging

OP champions are like Rammus, and Fiddlesticks, and Amumu, and Warwick. Champions that have very clear "we are killing this person now". Platinum is the point where your team absolutely 100% will follow up a good engage, they just need a good engage to follow up on, and so many people play dickish kitting champions with lots of zone control and defensives they need a champion who can roll through all of that and basically signal to the rest of their team that its time to start the pain train.

Basically the people in platinum are really good at dealing with those snowball champions and so have a stable of self peel that they can reliably use to stop that from happening (with the exception of Talon). In Bronze Amumu is strong because he is tanky and people position poorly in Platinum Amumu is strong because his team is guaranteed to follow up on his engage.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Gold feels like it has a lot of players who are used to winning and don't know how to react when they fall behind, which is what makes snowballing champions very effective there.

Fizz is more dangerous than Akali since he can all-in at levels 1 to 3 and actually kill people. The tactics to beat him are still the same as akali, harass him hard before 6 and ensure you're ahead.

For akali she has no dash until 6. She has no way to pop her Q unless she walks up to you. So basically just stand in creeps and use abilities/auto attack her. Once she is 6 she is scary, but a pink to beat her. Pre 6 though she is super weak.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    wrong thread!

spool32 on
  • Options
    As an aside, still don't have a rioter response to my third thread. So if you like want to upvote it i would appreciate that ( will also try to respond to posts more maybe get it back on the first page)

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/TuK00Es7-towards-a-better-balancing-paradigm

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Goumindong wrote: »

Fizz is more dangerous than Akali since he can all-in at levels 1 to 3 and actually kill people. The tactics to beat him are still the same as akali, harass him hard before 6 and ensure you're ahead.

For akali she has no dash until 6. She has no way to pop her Q unless she walks up to you. So basically just stand in creeps and use abilities/auto attack her. Once she is 6 she is scary, but a pink to beat her. Pre 6 though she is super weak.

How to win mid in gold: Ban Fizz and pick brand, laugh as whoever you are against pick Akali. Build Hp/ap kill akali+jungler+tower+top+bot+nexus GZ you won!

Ok jokes aside, picking stuff that shits on assasins/snowballers will win you games in gold. Because just as people have pointed out, most assasin mains in gold know how to go in but got no idea what to do when they can't just all in.

Edit: Forgott to add I agree with your post about akali and fizz!

LilleDjevel on
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    i dont know what they did to skarner but he finally works!

NOW I GOT YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Now its a trick to get my teams to let me jungle.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options

To clarify, I'm not scared of them because I don't know how to lane against them, but because I have absolutely no faith in my team to not let them get out of control.

Funnily enough, immediately after making that post I played a game where an enemy Akali earned 10 kills, 6 assists and we surrendered at 20.

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Oh and @Burnage I could join the gold race team to if you want me!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Seriously. Typical gold game, I get ziggs, enemy mid is kat/akali/fizz/etc.

Me: "Hey guys, I will shit on this mid, but please please please care for roam".

Enemy roams bot at 6 or so, I throw like 5 care pings down river.

Double kill!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @imdointhis‌

i keep a copy of Worst Song Played on Ugliest Guitar on my coffee table

and Roast Beef was my avatar for over a year.

Solidarity my friend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raslin wrote: »
    Seriously. Typical gold game, I get ziggs, enemy mid is kat/akali/fizz/etc.

Me: "Hey guys, I will shit on this mid, but please please please care for roam".

Enemy roams bot at 6 or so, I throw like 5 care pings down river.

Double kill!

"why no ss?"

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Plat:

Pantheon
    TF
    Teleport Tops

I think that you are right that controlling the map is important but i think that you're wrong that these champions control the map. None of them do so inherently without a lot of foreknowledge and skill which preclude you from being plat. Basically, if you're dunking clowns with TF you can probably dunk clowns with Xerath of Ziggs instead.

No, the problems in Plat related to champions are

1) Engaging

2) Engaging

OP champions are like Rammus, and Fiddlesticks, and Amumu, and Warwick. Champions that have very clear "we are killing this person now". Platinum is the point where your team absolutely 100% will follow up a good engage, they just need a good engage to follow up on, and so many people play dickish kitting champions with lots of zone control and defensives they need a champion who can roll through all of that and basically signal to the rest of their team that its time to start the pain train.

Basically the people in platinum are really good at dealing with those snowball champions and so have a stable of self peel that they can reliably use to stop that from happening (with the exception of Talon). In Bronze Amumu is strong because he is tanky and people position poorly in Platinum Amumu is strong because his team is guaranteed to follow up on his engage.

This seems entirely reasonable, and I would agree. I've never carried myself out of plat, so it's hard for me to say which champs continue to be powerful even into the Plat II, Plat I level. So I was guessing, but engaging is probably a serious issue, as many people in plat foolishly live by the motto "you can't carry if you're dead"

• Options
    holy crap I've entered the "ordering from Amazon" levels of LoL skins.

I have Dragonslayer pantheon and I have no memory of buying him.....

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

roz pls

that's not a bear skin

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Are you ready for the LPL?

http://www.twitch.tv/lplen/b/558316460

Start at 1:14:30

Not going to spoil it. But its worth it

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

roz pls

that's not a bear skin

Bear is a state of mind.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

They gave away dragons layer at pax east and some people gave away codes in thread.

(I had to ask myself this question a few weeks ago)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    I get the, "Twelve pings aren't enough man, you didn't type MIA in chat so it's your fault we died!" a lot.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

They gave away dragons layer at pax east and some people gave away codes in thread.

(I had to ask myself this question a few weeks ago)

I'm pretty sure the codes failed if you'd already used ANY Pantheon unlock code, btw, and since I've got the really ancient Perseus skin from a "come back and play moar" prompt Riot was doing in the mists of history, one failed for me.

E: I told the sender to send it elsewhere, so I'm pretty sure it's been used, but if you're in my boat for some reason this is a thing to be aware of.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Here's how you win bronze. Go top or mid or jungle. IF top or mid win your lane, go to the other lane and win that too. you should win your lane because the enemy doesn't understand threat ranges or when to go b. You should have a massive advantage because when you kill them you quickly push your minions to their tower to deny them exp before going b. You win because you are last hitting better than your opponent. You win the match because even though your bot lane have fed 4 kills by 10 minutes you've pushed your tower down, got three kills top and ganked mid twice causing your team to have two winning lanes. You win because you are pushing lanes instead of standing uselessly in mid for 5 minutes with the rest of your team.

Note that this has nothing to do with what I stated.

Bronze is full of smurfs, afkers and ragers. Basically, the worst elements of the LoL community are concentrated at the bottom rungs of the ladder, for reasons that are obvious.

This makes matches incredibly random, and favors the teams who don't get the short end of the stick.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    Here's how you win bronze. Go top or mid or jungle. IF top or mid win your lane, go to the other lane and win that too. you should win your lane because the enemy doesn't understand threat ranges or when to go b. You should have a massive advantage because when you kill them you quickly push your minions to their tower to deny them exp before going b. You win because you are last hitting better than your opponent. You win the match because even though your bot lane have fed 4 kills by 10 minutes you've pushed your tower down, got three kills top and ganked mid twice causing your team to have two winning lanes. You win because you are pushing lanes instead of standing uselessly in mid for 5 minutes with the rest of your team.

Bronze is full of smurfs, afkers and ragers. Basically, the worst elements of the LoL community are concentrated at the bottom rungs of the ladder, for reasons that are obvious.

This makes matches incredibly random, and favors the teams who don't get the short end of the stick.

Your team is slightly less likely to get the short end of the stick.

• Options

roz pls

that's not a bear skin

Every Pantheon skin is a bear skin.

Or is that Graves?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Which also has nothing to do with what I said.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Graves is definitely a bear. Pantheon possibly is one, it's left up to the imagination.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options

roz pls

that's not a bear skin

i know

that's why it's so wierd....

• Options
    haha just joined a game where three of my teammates are all speaking korean to each other. The 5th player on team is so excited because "omg yes koreans carry us"

I'm going to laugh so hard when we massively lose this game.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Graves is definitely a bear. Pantheon possibly is one, it's left up to the imagination.
    We have no idea what's going on underneath that helmet but ruthless Pantheon is hairless so that's a pretty wild imagination you'd have to have.

butts
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel somewhat stuck at my elo, partially because I don't play champs that typically can hard carry. Bit my play style is more of the "Be in the back doing damage, and not dying". On the rare times I get adc, I feel much more impactful.

Of course, the main reasons are drunk ranked, I don't roam enough, and I'm awful at keeping my eye on the mini map.

I feel stuck because of all of the random nonsense that happens, between smurfs, AFKs, ragequitters, etc.

People seem to forget how prevalent that is at Bronze / Silver.

Games at that elo are decided most often by coin toss - after that, they are decided by the players with the lowest skill cap, because those players create a gold distribution that so heavily favors the opposing team that no amount of talent can overcome it (especially in solo queue, where people give up & rage the moment anything goes wrong).

The smurfs, afks, etc. happen at every elo. I spent hundreds and hundreds of games stuck in silver in seasons 2 and 3. The only thing different I did this season was take a long break, really take to heart the way the diamond/challenger streamers I watched played the game, and came back and just played my 2 best jungle champs(Udyr and Skarner) and just did everything in my power to win every game. I only went 5-5 in placements and was in silver 1 again, but then went on to get into gold in less than 20 more games. Then to gold 3 in like another 10 games.

I'm pretty sure if I had just kept tryharding with Udyr/Skarner/Yi I'd be in plat by now or closing in, because I maintain 70%+ win rates with those 3, but i'm just sticking around gold now because i'm playing a lot of Yasuo and other stuff just for fun but that i'm waaaay less good with, and I lose a lot of those games.

The only factor consistent to your games is you. You can climb if you just work at it and take ownership of every single game. If you lose, think about what you could've done differently. If you win, think about what you could've done differently to win even more easily. Get a laser focus on objectives and try to think one step ahead of what the enemies want to do.

• Options
    Jookie wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    We have no idea what's going on underneath that helmet but ruthless Pantheon is hairless so that's a pretty wild imagination you'd have to have.

He shaved for his He-man cosplay.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I feel like there can't be that many smurfs in bronze, yeah? I mean, if you're say gold or above, even if you level a new account, it's never going to be in bronze. You will just place into at least gold if you take it into ranked. So where are all these so called smurfs coming from? And honestly, afkers or ragers matter less in bronze, because if you're good enough you can just win 4v5 anyway.

Like legit, i'm only gold, but I have a feeling if I got in some bronze 5 games I could probably carry 4v5s fairly easily on my best champs. just get 200 CS around 20 minutes and just go treat the dudes with 50 CS or whatever they would have at that time like bots.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Which also has nothing to do with what I said.

Ragers, smurfs, and afkers are not stopping you from advancing. They are slowing you, at most. If you truly should be silver+, they are a road bump at most.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I feel like there can't be that many smurfs in bronze, yeah? I mean, if you're say gold or above, even if you level a new account, it's never going to be in bronze. You will just place into at least gold if you take it into ranked. So where are all these so called smurfs coming from? And honestly, afkers or ragers matter less in bronze, because if you're good enough you can just win 4v5 anyway.

Like legit, i'm only gold, but I have a feeling if I got in some bronze 5 games I could probably carry 4v5s fairly easily on my best champs. just get 200 CS around 20 minutes and just go treat the dudes with 50 CS or whatever they would have at that time like bots.

There aren't. The only place smurfs show up as a reasonable density is plat. Its the only place that there exist both a portion of the player base good enough to smurf but also relatively dense enough to make a difference if they smurfed. And even then how often do i run into legit smurfs? Like 1/20? 1/40 games? I sure as shit see lots of people saying they're smurfs but 9/10 they are not.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I love this and the music selection but it also reminds me that I hate dealing with Amumu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3-FcJKs2Lg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Solcrushed is updating a thread talking about the new Viktor. As of yet we have

1) Viktor's Hex Core gets an Ultimate Evolution which is unlocked sequentially progressing through all of the hex cores. It will have at least 120 AP on it.

2) His Q shield appears to be instant

3) They're changing his ultimate

4) The Q evolution is the only one that stayed the same (so looks like his laser is going to get shafted and force you into a more Q focused play). Q is getting more range/utility and reduced damage. It might be an auto attack modifier (and therefore an Auto Attack Reset)

edit:

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Woo, first good result with Gnar.

Blade>Cutlass>Belt+Tabi>Brutalizer>Kingblade>? I had 3k gold but they surrendered. Randuins and Visage and Cleaver were on the menu though.

Got a quadra kill. Enemy soraka starts running over to feed the penta... and eats Kha'zix. Which is fine, I want to earn the penta, and if she was in the fight I'd probably have died (I had 400 HP or so left at the end I think? Might have been more.)

Also, with all that AD... I only saw GNAR! getting +14 damage? I see a misplaced decimal point somewhere (like .09 instead of 0.9).

Changed my skill order up a bit this game since enemy Garen top rushed towards Sunfire. R>Q>W>E... the extra magic output was nice because lol fuck his armor, and W still helps me get in and out, so... (actually, helps a lot - proc on minion, move in for AA>Q>AA, back out). Not getting the low cooldown on E hurts a bit, so...

But that quadra felt good after struggling so many games. I was just beasting it up in their face and it felt good. Lots of times I'd go mega and couldn't afford to do more than chuck rocks and maybe W, but it's not always time for hard engage. Turning mega with E feels REALLY good, since you can then W>Q>AA>walk out, Q when it comes off cooldown to keep em back. After 6, with how top lane loves to be closer to the wall, just chuck em into it for good measure as part of the combo. It's so nice not having to think about saving my ult - it's so limited in availability that it's just "Will it do something good that I don't have a skill off cooldown for? GNAR!"

Edit: I'm basically thinking a target build for Gnar right now of BotrK, Randuin's, Visage, Cleaver, Tabi/Mercs, Triforce/IBG. Sheen effects are really nice since he's a physical attacker who can throw out skills left and right, and Triforce does offer a fuckton of stats he wants (and critical, which is fine, but not really what he's after when mega). Randuins and Visage are just staple beefiness, and Visage boosts his massive regen in mega and lifesteal. The CDR is huge too, since 20-30% really helps the uptime on W and E (and makes Q sometimes insane when Mega - think hyper Mundo cleavers, since it's already at like a 3 sec cooldown when picking it up... and that counts time before pickup... so...)

Polaritie on
This discussion has been closed.