Options

Please synergize this report and turn it into the [job] thread tomorrow

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I was at a job years ago where a friend of my boss wanted to "Call in a favor" and have him interview her son. Just to oblige her, he did interview the son, but the kid was either stoned for the interview or just naturally verrrry very slow that there was no point calling back.

The lady then showed up at some charity function they both went to and was just crying and cryingthat her son never leaves the basement and she doesn't know what to do with him.

One of the rare moments I actually felt sorry for my boss.

- Charge him rent?
    - Move him into a room only big enough for the bed and give him bare essentials to live?
    - Evict him?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I was at a job years ago where a friend of my boss wanted to "Call in a favor" and have him interview her son. Just to oblige her, he did interview the son, but the kid was either stoned for the interview or just naturally verrrry very slow that there was no point calling back.

The lady then showed up at some charity function they both went to and was just crying and cryingthat her son never leaves the basement and she doesn't know what to do with him.

- Charge him rent?
    - Move him into a room only big enough for the bed and give him bare essentials to live?
    - Evict him?

He pitched my boss on this great idea he had where you could create a database of Reggae songs and share it on the internet. Mind you, he was applying for a job at a law firm.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

- Charge him rent?
    - Evict him?

He pitched my boss on this great idea he had where you could create a database of Reggae songs and share it on the internet. Mind you, he was applying for a job at a law firm.

Well, that should solve the mystery of whether or not he was high during the interview.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

- Charge him rent?
    - Evict him?

Well, that should solve the mystery of whether or not he was high during the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The thing about jobs being too stressful

is that they're not wrong. Having a job sucks, unless you love your job - but most people don't have passions that are marketable, and even if you do, you're probably not going to get a job doing that. Work hours are crazy, especially if you're not genetically a morning person. Commutes are crazy. Pay is mostly low. Workloads have been steadily increasing. Whether you're blue-collar or white-collar, your job will wreck your physical and mental health in so many insidious ways it's not even funny. Your employer doesn't care; you're just a cog to them. It's no wonder that over 1 in 10 Americans take antidepressants.

So yes, working for a living is a constant uphill battle that I wouldn't wish on anyone. But unless you're independently wealthy, you either do it or you starve. Sometimes both.

Edit: Some people legitimately can't deal with the real world of employment, sometimes because their parents failed them, and the real problem (IMHO) is that society just doesn't have a place for them. It's one of many reasons why Guaranteed Basic Income really needs to become a thing. (Myself, I'd still work; just not full time.)

Calica on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Gotta love recruiter cold calls. Probably have about a 35-40% chance of landing the gig, but I need a new spot, so sure, why not?

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    Edit: Some people legitimately can't deal with the real world of employment, sometimes because their parents failed them, and the real problem (IMHO) is that society just doesn't have a place for them. It's one of many reasons why Guaranteed Basic Income really needs to become a thing. (Myself, I'd still work; just not full time.)

Sounds like the concept of NEETs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Yeah. I can see getting a ride, but coming into the room?!?

Yeah, I've interviewed dozens and dozens and dozens of people over the years.

However these three will always stand out.

1: Recent grad, as in, ceremony was a week ago. He was dressed nicely, had a decent resume (for someone in school), however his father introduced himself first, shook my hand and then began talking to me about pay scales and benefits in the reception area.

I ended things right there.

2: Senior CS student. Trying for her first job. Dressed nicely, phone screen went well, Showed up with her father. At first Dad waited in the reception, ok, odd but not an absolute deal breaker. 20 minutes into a pretty "meh" interview, The receptionist shows her father to my office and he sits down on my couch "just to listen in". She is completely un-phased by this. I inform him that won't be happening and ask him to wait back out in reception. He begins to raise his voice in protest that she isn't old enough to "sell her self well" and again, daughter is completely fine with this.

I ended the interview there.

3: Guy was early 20s, out of school, looking for his first real job. Phone screen went well enough to bring him in, he shows up 10 minutes late, unshaven, unshowered, with his mother in tow. She apologizes that he was out drinking all night last night and she had to get him here late, "totally my fault, I wasn't minding his schedule close enough. But she'll make sure to get him up earlier next time."

When I informed her there wouldn't be a next time she called me heartless and started crying. Dude's face never looked up from his phone.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    I have no words

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    All three of those children would have fared better being raised by wolves, Stale.

Sure, there's always the awkward moment or six when they use their teeth to rip out someone's throat, but they get results, dammit.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    The world owes their babies a living.

• Options
    at least they have potential for founding an empire

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I clicked Hail Hydra, but there is no button that adequately captures my feelings toward that post. Like, I almost feel sorry for the kids because apparently they grew up with some warped worldview where they see no problem with that situation.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    1 and 2 had their parents ruin things from the sound of it. 3 might as well have not applied at all. 1 and 2 could be well adjusted and just had overbearing fathers, but 3 was just....ugh.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    My boss asked everyone to bring in a different salad for tomorrow. One guy is bringing in a chocolate salad, so I jokingly asked if I could bring in one made entirely out of meat. Meatball croutons, ham lettuce, beef berries and sausage tomato slices.

She okayed it.

Guess I have some cooking to do.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    that's one expensive salad.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    I have no words

Looks like words to me.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Apparently, knowing keyboard shortcuts makes me a wizard.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Not quite as many as Stale, but the ugliest was the guy who showed up with his mother to an interview for a junior trader/clerk. At a futures prop trading shop for a group interview. After a few minutes into the interview, the head trader had managed to make him cry. And then started calling him "mama's boy" every time he asked the candidate a question. And then the other candidates started to make fun of the guy. After that, the partner decided it was enough and just killed the entire interview.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »

As a resident grand master sorcerer:

Yeah, checks out.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    My boss asked everyone to bring in a different salad for tomorrow. One guy is bringing in a chocolate salad, so I jokingly asked if I could bring in one made entirely out of meat. Meatball croutons, ham lettuce, beef berries and sausage tomato slices.

She okayed it.

Guess I have some cooking to do.

/squee

I recommend:

Turkey or Chicken meatballs for the meatballs as they're lighter flavored and are good "filler".

For the Ham you've got plenty of options, some shaved Black Forest ham should be good.

Beef I'd recommend spicy tri-tip and cut into cubes

For the "tomatoes" a good thinly sliced salume.

For the "dressing" you can offer several options:

your standard good balsamic/olive oil for general dipping

A nice tangy bbq sauce.

And maybe some ranch.

Serve em on the side for dipping.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Not quite as many as Stale, but the ugliest was the guy who showed up with his mother to an interview for a junior trader/clerk. At a futures prop trading shop for a group interview. After a few minutes into the interview, the head trader had managed to make him cry. And then started calling him "mama's boy" every time he asked the candidate a question. And then the other candidates started to make fun of the guy. After that, the partner decided it was enough and just killed the entire interview.
    Man

Like, it's nuts that the kid showed up with his mom.

seems like he probably had some emotional issues.

but, the interviewers should be flayed in front of their children. just politely end the interview and move on.

• Options
    and take pics to share with us, of course!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

Yeah, checks out.

You're in the KKK?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

Yeah, checks out.

Showed a co-worker that they can just click "Address Book" if they want to find someone's e-mail/contact info in outlook, instead of "New> Create New Email> "To:" "

That's the 105th person at this company I've explained this "shortcut" to.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Our intern left last week.
    This week we found out she'd password protected her computer (against company policy), hadn't uploaded any of the stuff she'd been working on to the network, never checks her email and has apparently lost her phone. HR had to call her mother to find this last bit out (thank goodness for next of kin lists).

Eventually managed to reach her via her boyfriend.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    The thing about jobs being too stressful

is that they're not wrong. Having a job sucks, unless you love your job - but most people don't have passions that are marketable, and even if you do, you're probably not going to get a job doing that. Work hours are crazy, especially if you're not genetically a morning person. Commutes are crazy. Pay is mostly low. Workloads have been steadily increasing. Whether you're blue-collar or white-collar, your job will wreck your physical and mental health in so many insidious ways it's not even funny. Your employer doesn't care; you're just a cog to them. It's no wonder that over 1 in 10 Americans take antidepressants.

So yes, working for a living is a constant uphill battle that I wouldn't wish on anyone. But unless you're independently wealthy, you either do it or you starve. Sometimes both.

I'd actually start my own business.

If I still have money coming in then I can build and grow without worrying about how to eat and function.

Basically, we all get to pretend like we're wealthy people with families that will bail us out if our startup tanks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Make an admin account on all your machines so you can always get in and navigate people's profiles.

• Options
    mcp wrote: »
    Make an admin account on all your machines so you can always get in and navigate people's profiles.

That would be a very, very sensible thing to do, but for a variety of reasons it probably won't happen any time soon.

• Options
    I have no words

Looks like words to me.

I think you're pretty smart, don't I? *shakes fist*

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Our intern left last week.
    This week we found out she'd password protected her computer (against company policy), hadn't uploaded any of the stuff she'd been working on to the network, never checks her email and has apparently lost her phone. HR had to call her mother to find this last bit out (thank goodness for next of kin lists).

Eventually managed to reach her via her boyfriend.

I almost forgot the best bit. Before we found out the phone thing, my boss tried to call her. For some reason he does this out on the landing with the R&D section? So I hear him dialling, and around the same time one of our electronics dude's phone rings. I'm in between the two of them. And I hear my boss say "Hi, is that Holly?" And I hear the electronics dude say "Who?" And my boss says "Holly? Holly [full name redacted]?" And the electronics dude says "I don't know who you are looking for I'm sorry". And my boss says "Oh, sorry, wrong number then!"

These guys are all of 6 metres away from each other, by the way. At most.

And then ten minutes later my boss suddenly sticks his head back in and says "wait, Beni, was I talking to you just now?"

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

That would be a very, very sensible thing to do, but for a variety of reasons it probably won't happen any time soon.

This is a little mind boggling. Anything company related SHOULD be password protected. They need to shell out a little money for a sysadmin.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Are you sure they weren't just acting out the Dumb and Dumber To trailer?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Man

Like, it's nuts that the kid showed up with his mom.

seems like he probably had some emotional issues.

but, the interviewers should be flayed in front of their children. just politely end the interview and move on.

It's the financial industry. Scruples are a weakness.

@Calica‌ - Yes, jobs can suck. Starving sucks more though, as does disease and being eaten by wolves. The fact that most of us live in industrialized countries with very small risks of things like warlords, lack of basic health care and clean water mean we're living high on the hog. Jobs can suck, but it's not like it's "my yard is full of unexploded ordinance" suck.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Hello yes I will admin your sys, tynic.

if you know what I mean :winky:
    I mean be shamelessly incompetent and barely manage to admin account and password the computers before exhausting all my knowledge of technology.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Sticks wrote: »

This is a little mind boggling. Anything company related SHOULD be password protected. They need to shell out a little money for a sysadmin.

Our network is heavily locked down and protected, all laptops have double encryption. The idea is we don't have passwords on the work stations in case someone is off sick and we need to retrieve something quickly. Basically the policy is that all work should be 'open' to the office.

yes, there are certainly better ways to do this. But frankly the laptops only got passwords when my boss accidentally left one of them in a taxi in china.

and hahahaha 'money' what is this 'money' you speak of.

tynic on
  • Options
    I have no words

Looks like words to me.

I think you're pretty smart, don't I? *shakes fist*

If you think I'm so smart, how come I'm not in charge of anything?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Really, I think Robothespian needs to have a re-purposed sub-model, Robodevastator. Put him on some tank treads, give him a .50 cal machine gun in one hand and a 19 round 70 mm rocket launcher in the other, and sell him to the US military at $5 million per unit.

GET PAID

• Options
    Smart people aren't in charge of anything; being in charge mostly goes to salespeople.

• Options
    Really, I think Robothespian needs to have a re-purposed sub-model, Robodevastator. Put him on some tank treads, give him a .50 cal machine gun in one hand and a 19 round 70 mm rocket launcher in the other, and sell him to the US military at $5 million per unit.

GET PAID

They've already got their own terrifying robotic hell-beasts.

Also we'd have to swap out his humour chip for a murder-compatible PCB and frankly that's a pain in the ass. Requires a huge redesign.

This discussion has been closed.