As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please synergize this report and turn it into the [job] thread tomorrow

1939495969799»

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    What's DW's middle name?

Fuckin'.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    DW, what's your poison tonight?

Whiskey and beer.

Raisin a glass of Laphroaig
    May it its peaty goodness waft its way to you

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I got a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Man, you try the 10 Year and think it's all that

But really every single other variety kicks the 10 Year's ass.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    aw
    I gotta look at prices then

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Today I got a new title and a 62% raise.

Because I'm awesome.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Gat damn! That's one helluva raise. You must be awesome.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    That's more a launch than a raise.

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    aw
    I gotta look at prices then

I really like the 18 Year, but at the price that runs at, it's definitely just a special occasion kind of whiskey.

Quarter Cask is a limited release thing but only runs a few dollars more than the 10 Year and is a lot smoother.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    The 18 year

tastes like capitalism

Seriously, you take a sip and it's like you're drinking whisky and smoking a cigar at the same time.

You can't help but close your eyes and imagine yourself in a smoking jacket sitting in a big overstuffed leather armchair next to a ticker tape machine.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I don't think they objected to it in principle, it's just they found that accent hilarious coming from an Australian.

Shoulda done it in German.

Vie havf made sie robotisch arm ya! And now let ich show das to du!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The 18 year

tastes like capitalism

Seriously, you take a sip and it's like you're drinking whisky and smoking a cigar at the same time.

You can't help but close your eyes and imagine yourself in a smoking jacket sitting in a big overstuffed leather armchair next to a ticker tape machine.

http://www.smwsa.com/

Unfortunately I don't know what the price gap is compared to American store bought whisky because Australia has super high alcohol tax.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I got a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Man, you try the 10 Year and think it's all that

But really every single other variety kicks the 10 Year's ass.

Try the triple cask. It's excellent as well.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    The Select Cast is... well it's still good, but it's not really anything special.

broken image link
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    The Select Cast is... well it's still good, but it's not really anything special.

Truth.

• Options
    The 18 year

tastes like capitalism

http://www.smwsa.com/

Unfortunately I don't know what the price gap is compared to American store bought whisky because Australia has super high alcohol tax.

Yeah those bottles are almost all upwards of $150 which means I would not be buying very many of them at all.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    came into work after two days off to find that someone had fucked up an excel file so badly that the computer wouldn't let me edit it out of fear for its own safety

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I built the FUCK out of the Seahawks kickoff party over the past two weeks. As a result, I am completely fucking DONE with sunlight for the next month.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in my bathroom, with the lights off, taking a tepid bath, while drinking. For a week.

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    Dear Job Thread,

Today I got to experience my first shitty lay-off situation. Arrived at the tutoring center this morning to open up and start my shift, and am greeted with a notice on the door saying "as a result of circumstances beyond our control [REDACTED] [has closed this location effective immediately]." No email from the directors who managed this specific location, and we even received our schedules for the next week yesterday afternoon, also I was just there for Thursday. This shutdown literally happened in the space of less than 24 hours.

Another tutor, who was supposed to open up with me, shows up explaining that he (and only a couple of other people) got an email at 10:50pm last night that only stated the message that was posted on the door; he was stopping by to make sure this surreal stuff was, in fact, real. As we're standing outside commiserating, he eventually gets a call from the assistant director; neither she nor the director of the location have any explanation - from the corporation that operated this location and others - of why this place was closed, and they received the same nondescript email. Literally none of us know why the place was closed, also all of us tutors are out of a side-gig. Also parents may or may not be showing up there throughout the day and be greeted with that message; I wonder if they'll get reimbursed for all those tutoring hours not delivered!

To add the cherry on top of this situation; our center received the next level of state accreditation last week, and apparently our location was "performing" well and receiving more prospective students for the upcoming school year. My main gig starts next week - next semester of grad school plus a teaching assistantship - but goddamn this is a beyond sketchy situation. I'm expecting my most recent paycheck today; hopefully I'll be receiving payment for the hours I put in this past week... otherwise i'll need to stop by the local labor relations board. Also need to consider applying as a sub for local school districts!

edit - just registering now that this happened on labor day weekend.

Dear Job Thread,

To update on this situation, the corporate org will be re-opening, and managing, the tutoring center as well as the other two locations (apparently all three were shut down by the franchisor operating the properties) by next weekend. So, I have my side-gig back! ...If I want to go back. The original plan was to only go in a few hours Sat & Sun when grad school started up again, but with my coursework, TA obligations, and a research paper that could potentially be expanded to include in my comp exams & present for conferences... having weekends free wouldn't hurt.

I'll have reached a decision by tomorrow whether to rejoin the team; folks this is why franchise operations can be/are terribad. Even if I don't go back, I am happy that the students, and tutors, who were relying on the services/income get to go back within a relatively short turnaround period.

Fun fact: The reason why the franchisor had to shut everything down on zero notice? Couldn't meet payroll obligations leading up to that last week of August... (on that note corporate is making sure that we're paid for wages owed).

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Awesome that you're going to get paid, at least... although when that happens might be up in the air...

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow.

Been gone for 3 weeks, and there's so much change that's happened.

sigh.

It's gonna be a rough reentry.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Oh hey. My first graduate class is tomorrow. Library Leadership and Management. I hope to be able to directly use what I learn in my job. The class is like four hours long.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    If it's anything like my nursing leadership and management class it will be a complete waste of time. Hope you have fun.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am ill.

And not in the rapping sense.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Want me to chant some ancient Hittite healing verses, Smof

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    If you wouldn't mind.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    If it's anything like my nursing leadership and management class it will be a complete waste of time. Hope you have fun.

Well technically I already took the class during my undergrad. It is a different teacher so hopefully I'll learn something useful.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I chanted some verses and also made a libation for you, Smof

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    upside of living in a college town: everything is cheap

downsides of living in a college town: college students, being unable to find a job that pays above minimum wage that I'm qualified for because there are thousands of other people more qualified than me vying for the same positions, e.g. this awesome quiet library office job that I'm totally qualified for and would be enthusiastic about that I'm getting shut out of because I only have a BA and four years of related experience.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    upside of living in a college town: everything is cheap

downsides of living in a college town: college students, being unable to find a job that pays above minimum wage that I'm qualified for because there are thousands of other people more qualified than me vying for the same positions, e.g. this awesome quiet library office job that I'm totally qualified for and would be enthusiastic about that I'm getting shut out of because I only have a BA and four years of related experience.

I feel your pain. My degree path is good for a few things. And like yourself, my undergrad was psych (at least I think I'm right here). I'm expected to finish my masters by August. The job market in the field I'd like to go in is currently saturated. My girlfriend is currently teaching with the same graduate degree. She's informed me that the kind of work I'm looking for exists at the high school level and pays better than the collegiate level. For family concerns, I'd like to stay in the area.

When it comes time to find a job, I'm not too excited about the chances of me finding a job that's worthwhile. It doesn't help that I feel burned out of my current job and I feel like I'm getting used like a fucking pack mule. I'm just counting on getting through the next 11 months and moving on.

So, despite my beer and whiskey fueled rant, I sympathize with you and wish you all the best.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I should've gotten a more marketable degree.

But nooooo I decided to do something I enjoyed.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
This discussion has been closed.