As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] I can't believe it's you! Posting here! Next to me!

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I tried to ghost it once, but it gets way harder (maybe impossible?) outside because of that one guy standing in front of the door.

Yes when you exit into the courtyard there's a mage who has superhuman perception, to the point where I think it's scripted.

However if you're really trying to ghost, steal a set of Thalmor garb from inside the first area (either by killing an elf, or I believe there's a set lying around upstairs) and it changes his dialogue... he thinks you're a Thalmor from a distance, but is suspicious and asks you to come closer. That's your cue to run if you're trying to stay low-profile, or to get close and murderate him before he sees through your disguise.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Are we talking about murdering the Thalmor?

Excellent!

Oh man.

I got to that part, played a little farther. Then stopped my playthrough and picked up my Companion character to finish that questline, all so I could do the "infiltration" again on my Nord.

"Hey buddy, I'll smuggle in your weapons for you gimme some!"
    Oh....OH NO good sir, I'm good. MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Joining the civil war question spoiler
    i want to keep whiterun. Is there a side that I do not want to join?

Never done it.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Don't think this has been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5C3itd89yY

Aka why I use weight mods for alchemy.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Joining the civil war question spoiler
    i want to keep whiterun. Is there a side that I do not want to join?

Never done it.

Not really...
    No matter which side you join, Whiterun doesn't go away or anything, but if you want Whiterun to remain exactly as it is, then you want to join the Imperials.

If you side with the Stormcloaks, they assault Whiterun and overthrow the Jarl, replacing him with the Greymane guy. Other than that, Whiterun is supposed to go more or less back to normal, though in the vanilla game there was a bug where it would remain on fire forever.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    My carrying capacity is up to like 430, thanks to pick pocket perk and stamina, plus I have some emergency boots to boost capacity if I need to run home.

when is a good time to do the DLC? I mean, I imagine hearthfire isn't much besides playing DIY network, but Dawnguard and Dragonborn are questy and such. So, when is a good time to do those, level and story progression wise?

edit
    and are the Hearthfire houses totally customizable in how you can build them, or is it "insert X resources to unlock this static room/upgrade"

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    edit
    and are the Hearthfire houses totally customizable in how you can build them, or is it "insert X resources to unlock this static room/upgrade"
    They're sorta customizable. Each wing has three choices of what kind of room it is, IIRC it's bedroom/garden/library, trophy/storage/enchanting, and armory/kitchen/alchemy. Beyond that, all the furnishings in a given section are identical, the only choice is in if you build it or not.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Actually there is no side to join in the Civil War that doesn't result in Whiterun sustaining cosmetic damage.

If you side with the Imperials then Windhelm also sustains cosmetic damage (but it's harder to notice because Windhelm looks like shit to begin with) and if you side with the Stormcloaks then Solitude sustains cosmetic damage.

The damage never gets repaired. The solution is to do the Civil War once on one character, realize that it is boring and poorly implemented, and then ignore it in all future playthroughs.

• Options
    My carrying capacity is up to like 430, thanks to pick pocket perk and stamina, plus I have some emergency boots to boost capacity if I need to run home.

when is a good time to do the DLC? I mean, I imagine hearthfire isn't much besides playing DIY network, but Dawnguard and Dragonborn are questy and such. So, when is a good time to do those, level and story progression wise?

edit

Dragonborn and Dawnguard are both very long. I think they are best done on discrete characters created for that purpose, but if you absolutely must have an omni-character who did all the stuff, I would do Dawnguard first and save Dragonborn for high level. There are a bunch of enemies in Dragoborn who are naturally very tough and will lay waste to low level characters, and some of the dungeons have monsters and bosses that won't scale any lower than level 25.

Fair warning though: Dawnguard is really long. Dragonborn is also pretty long.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I tried to ghost it once, but it gets way harder (maybe impossible?) outside because of that one guy standing in front of the door.

Yes when you exit into the courtyard there's a mage who has superhuman perception, to the point where I think it's scripted.

However if you're really trying to ghost, steal a set of Thalmor garb from inside the first area (either by killing an elf, or I believe there's a set lying around upstairs) and it changes his dialogue... he thinks you're a Thalmor from a distance, but is suspicious and asks you to come closer. That's your cue to run if you're trying to stay low-profile, or to get close and murderate him before he sees through your disguise.

It is possible to stealth-shoot that damn mage without being dressed up, but it's very, very hard and you have very little time to aim at him before he aggros. But if you manage it then you won't aggro the rest of the courtyard elves.

So you can stealth kill them one by one also. We aren't letting them live of course.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options

edit

Dragonborn and Dawnguard are both very long. I think they are best done on discrete characters created for that purpose, but if you absolutely must have an omni-character who did all the stuff, I would do Dawnguard first and save Dragonborn for high level. There are a bunch of enemies in Dragoborn who are naturally very tough and will lay waste to low level characters, and some of the dungeons have monsters and bosses that won't scale any lower than level 25.

I think I'll work on a few more levels and get rid of my Lycanthropy before doing Dawnguard.

I love going full beast mode and eating people, but the lack of boosted XP from sleeping is starting to get under my skin (Mostly for Smithing, goddamnit I want to level it higher and higher. )

Wait..higher and higher..

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah the civil war is something that should only be done once, if that. Afterwards just skip the middleman and simply murder every Stormcloak you see; you get the same enjoyment without dumb quests holding you back.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I've been alternating playing on a 2h/heavy armor orc and sneaky archer breton and it's amazing how much easier it is on my orc. Things are smoothing out on my archer now that I'm mid 20's and can consistently 1-2 shot most enemies but if something bugs and I get swarmed life gets dicey (looking at you quest for the first wuuthrad fragment). My orc just shrugs and proceeds to eat souls.

Also I screwed up on my archer and didn't do the companions questline first so I missed out on a bunch of sweet free training. I also was in an awkward level scale when trying to fight the masses of silverhand goons, high enough for health to start ballooning but not enough weapon or smithing levels to compensate.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Yeah the civil war is something that should only be done once, if that. Afterwards just skip the middleman and simply murder every Stormcloak you see; you get the same enjoyment without dumb quests holding you back.

You misspelled Imperial.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Be an equal opportunity murderer, just kill them both.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'll join the imperials for once because the jarl took me in like his own son.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Actually there is no side to join in the Civil War that doesn't result in Whiterun sustaining cosmetic damage.

If you side with the Imperials then Windhelm also sustains cosmetic damage (but it's harder to notice because Windhelm looks like shit to begin with) and if you side with the Stormcloaks then Solitude sustains cosmetic damage.

The damage never gets repaired. The solution is to do the Civil War once on one character, realize that it is boring and poorly implemented, and then ignore it in all future playthroughs.

Not to say it doesn't have problems, but you're basically telling me not to have my character put a knife into Ulfric Stormcloak's smug face.

And that's just something that's going to happen no matter what. I'm as anti-ghetto as I am anti-Thalmor.

Though you could use the console to remove his immortality, which is what I do with Cicero all the time now.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Dawnguard I usually start early, as soon as I pass by Riften for whatever reason.

Because the quests send you all over the place, so it's nice to have them in your quest log for when you're passing by.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

edit

I enjoy that lengthy, quality DLC is available for many already good games but I wish they were better tied into the base game or made to be separate episodes entirely. Winding up with a massively overpowered character because you hit the DLC before finishing up the main game stuff gets annoying. It's something that's been on my mind after picking up Borderlands 2 on sale last week, accidentally starting one of the DLC plotlines that I felt compelled to finish because I'd be overleveled for it after it locked to my level at the time, and then being significantly overlevel for the base game when I got back. Some expansion packs used to boost the final encounter of the base game to account for your higher power level after finishing the added content. Skyrim's scaling in theory should do that but we all know that the scaling kind of stops trying and just isn't very interesting after a certain level.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Also in all the hours I played this game, I never went through the diplomatic immunities. I have as of a few nights ago spoke to someone at throat of the world and man, why did I ever stop playing?

Did the blackreath or whatever last night to attune something. So rad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also in all the hours I played this game, I never went through the diplomatic immunities. I have as of a few nights ago spoke to someone at throat of the world and man, why did I ever stop playing?

Did the blackreath or whatever last night to attune something. So rad.

The main quest has some neat stuff in it. It kind of have this weird lull after it makes you do so much running around for the horn and finished shout though. Also another when you have to do the talks. After that though, it goes pretty quickly and has more neat stuff you don't see elsewhere.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So I have a general question.

I have three playthrough's I'm bouncing through. Some light spoilers.

Nord Sword and Board
    Companions
    Main Storyline(Greybeards)-Where I'm at now
    Civil War-Stormcloak's
    Dawnguard(Non-Vampire)
    Dragonborn

Mage-Red Mage Variant(Sword mainhand, spells-offhand)
    Mage Guild
    Main Storyline(Blades)-Where I'm at now
    Civil War- Imperials
    Dawnguard-Vamp Style

My only real problem is with my last character.

Pure Archer Wood Elf(Theivin/Sneak based)
    Main Storyline-Where I'm at now
    ???

Any light spoiler recommendations?

Transporter on
  • Options
    So I have a general question.

I have three playthrough's I'm bouncing through. Some light spoilers.

Nord Sword and Board
    Companions
    Main Storyline(Greybeards)-Where I'm at now
    Civil War-Stormcloak's
    Dawnguard(Non-Vampire)
    Dragonborn

Mage-Red Mage Variant(Sword mainhand, spells-offhand)
    Mage Guild
    Main Storyline(Blades)-Where I'm at now
    Civil War- Imperials
    Dawnguard-Vamp Style

My only real problem is with my last character.

Pure Archer Wood Elf(Theivin/Sneak based)
    Main Storyline-Where I'm at now
    ???

Any light spoiler recommendations?

Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild. They have components that aren't everyone's cup of tea but are better done than the other two quest lines. Ignore the civil war because it sucks and might feel a little silly given the events of those guild lines. No opinions on the DLC.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I just murdered the fuck out of the Brotherhood

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Also have one character who's a total monster and does all the daedric quests

You'd pretty much have to be a sociopath for that

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Also have one character who's a total monster and does all the daedric quests

You'd pretty much have to be a sociopath for that
    We prefer the term murderhobo.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I keep doing the companions questline because wuthraad bow.

But getting wuthraad bow requires me to level enchanting, and leveling enchanting makes me OP. Why you locked behind a 75 enchanting perk, wuthraad bow? ; ;

• Options
    Oh so I finally managed to get "The Whispering Door" quest on a character and complete it. So I have completed every daedric quest in the game at least once, though not on the same character.

I still have never obtained the Skull of Corruption from Vaermina, a fact which I blame on Vaermina herself. If you've ever done the quest you'll know what I mean, her appeal to the player claiming that the priest of Mara is "lying" and plans to claim the staff for himself is so obviously false that even my most gullible characters can't be fooled. She's obviously too lame of a Daedric Prince for me to bother with her artifact. Look at Clavicus Vile, he is so crafty he actually manages to routinely convince new players to murder a dog to obtain an axe which the player knows is terrible because they have already had a chance to use it!

Now that's how you do it.

• Options

But getting wuthraad bow requires me to level enchanting, and leveling enchanting makes me OP. Why you locked behind a 75 enchanting perk, wuthraad bow? ; ;

wuthraad bow?

• Options
    edited January 2015

wuthraad bow?

It's a SPERG thing. You will understand later when you start using SPERG.

-edit-

The short version is that SPERG has a level 75 enchanting perk that lets you transform certain artifacts into different weapons. So you can make Wuthraad the axe into a bow, or sword. You can do the same with Mehrune's Razor.

Wuuthraad Bow uses the nord hero bow model, which is IMO one of the best looking bows in the game, and is otherwise an unenchanted daedric quality bow as far as I can tell. I guess it's not that big of a deal, you could just make a nord hero bow after completing the Companions questline and abuse blacksmithing enchantments and potions to make it as OP as you want, but I like using Wuthraad, and otherwise I never use the axe as it has an ugly model.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    I never used wuuthrad.

I think I left it in the tomb, to be perfectly frank.

• Options
    I never used wuuthrad.

It's ugly, but it actually is a very good battleaxe. x1.2 damage to all elves, including falmer but excluding orcs.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    My very first Heavy Armor Nord Werewolf, when not feasting on villagers, loved throwing Wuuthrad around. Mmmm.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    I really like doing joining the Companions even if I'm not going to go all the way through the questline because skyforge steel weapons have really decent stats and I like the look of steel weapons a lot. Particularly the battleaxe, war axe, greatsword, and warhammer. Sometimes I'll also start Dawnguard just to get a dawnguard waraxe because it's powerful and looks sick. Their heavy armor is really nice looking too, though the light armor helmet looks derpy and demands to be hidden with a hide helmet mod.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I never used wuuthrad.

It's ugly, but it actually is a very good battleaxe. x1.2 damage to all elves, including falmer but excluding orcs.

But mainly Thalmor.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I like to hang Wuuthrad up in my house wall as a trophy.

If I'm feeling dickish, I'll give it to Uthgerd. After I punch her a bunch, naturally.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    NEWS update.

Project Embassy!(Mild "Companions" spoilers)
    I got to the Embassy quest on my Companion Character.

At first, I went, heart full of confidence, with no gear whatsoever. Why would I? I'm a WEREWOLF. Who needs silly things like ARMOR or CARES.

It went SMASHINGLY. Until I realized I had to open a chest. Which meant stopping my Werewolf powered rampage. So RELOAD, and I give the elf guy the ring of Hircine so I could make sure to continute rampages after opening the chest.

Everything went smashingly, until the end.

It seems that our Wood Elf friend, the one who smuggles the gear into the party, was captured! And I MAY have turned into a werewolf in order to slaughter and eat the Thalmor that brought him to the tourture area. Apparently, he's a racist against things that turn into Werewolves and eat people. I howl to make him run off, then change back, hoping that will calm him down.

NOPE. He's still coming at me with that knife. Oh, and I'm just in the party clothes given, by the way.

So I do what any good companion does and BEAT THE SHIT out of him until he stops flailing at me. With my FISTS. He agrees to surrender and we go along our merry way.

Until I remember that in the escape route there's a Frost Troll. That I cannot best with fists.

I could run off, but our Wood Elf friend would always try to fight it, and always get one shot.

So I turn into a werewolf once more and kill the troll. Which our Wood Elf friend dosen't like. AGAIN.

Except this time, he dosen't surrender. No matter how much I beat him up. So, like any good Companion, I couldn't just run away, so I put him down myself.

MUCH SADNESS, but Werewolf rampage COMPLETE

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I read that as Mild Confusion spoilers and got all excited.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Any time I've done the Embassy quest, both the Wood Elf and the prisoner usually fail to survive. They make it through the fight against the Thalmor but generally prove too stupid against the Frost Troll to let the motherfucking Dragonborn have a turn before they go in with fists swingin'.

• Options
    The way to deal with the frost troll is to run ahead as fast as you can and engage the frost troll with a no-nonsense frontal melee assault.

I've never lost either of the two tag-alongs doing it this way, even if my character was weak enough that they joined the fight before I finished the troll, by the time they got there the troll was fully on me, not them.

That said, neither the prisoner nor Malborn serve any use after the mission and it really doesn't matter if they die.