As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    When mentioning decent games for the Wii U, I'm gonna include Injustice : Gods Amoung Us. I got it quite cheap and I'm enjoying the single player story mode.

Out of curiosity...can you turn the blood off on the game?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Injustice is really good. Makes me a bit sad that Mortal Kombat X isn't coming to Wii U.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I would like to Stream WiiU games to Twitch.

What would I need to do that?

I thought there was a game-streaming thread somewhere but wasn't able to find it.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I would like to Stream WiiU games to Twitch.

What would I need to do that?

I thought there was a game-streaming thread somewhere but wasn't able to find it.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/162945/vg-streams-amazon-officially-buys-twitch-tv-for-1-billion

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    When mentioning decent games for the Wii U, I'm gonna include Injustice : Gods Amoung Us. I got it quite cheap and I'm enjoying the single player story mode.

I looked and couldn't find the option. I didn't notice too much blood or gore. The worst thing I saw was during the Jokers introduction he used a dead policemen (with blood on his face) like a puppet.

• Options

I looked and couldn't find the option. I didn't notice too much blood or gore. The worst thing I saw was during the Jokers introduction he used a dead policemen (with blood on his face) like a puppet.

Injustice is rated T, there's not a lot of Blood and Gore.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Bayonetta is Dante. If youre okay with him but have a problem with a lady asserting her self and her sexuality in the same tounge and cheek manner the " asthetic" isnt your problem.
    I've never played any DMC game, so I don't know anything about Dante. God knows I've always despised everything Duke Nukem represents, but I don't know if there's a fair comparison to be made there or not.

There's a pretty big rift between the concept of Bayonetta as a hypothetical human being and the concept of Bayonetta as the product of a video game corporation. This is an industry where female characters, very nearly without exception, are designed with the primary or sole purpose of appealing to the male gaze. Nothing I saw in the way Bayonetta was presented and advertised in the media suggested that anyone at Platinum was bucking that trend. I certainly don't recall the phrase "crotch shots" ever coming up in discussions about Dante.

But I've seen this conversation play out on these forums a dozen times, and I can't really contribute anything new to the discussion without having played the game. Maybe that alone is excuse enough to buy it. It wouldn't be the first time I bought a game just so I could complain about it on the internet (the difference being that I only paid about $7.50 for BioShock Infinite).

i talk about this a bit more over here if you are interested

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/30704018/#Comment_30704018

bayonetta is an interesting mix

That is a good post.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

It's actually rated higher here, MA 15+. That's the same rating as ZombiU. The only Wii U game with a higher rating is Ninja Gaiden, one of the few R18+ games in Australia.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

It's actually rated higher here, MA 15+. That's the same rating as ZombiU. The only Wii U game with a higher rating is Ninja Gaiden, one of the few R18+ games in Australia.

Wow that's kind of crazy

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    I can barely remember the plot of Bayonetta 1 at all. I think I'm gonna try to blitz through rerelease before popping in the sequel, and find out if I'm just forgetful/inattentive, or if the game's plot just didn't make sense.

Bayonetta Needs Halos

If there was more than that I didn't catch it.
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I had no idea what was going on with the plot in Bayo 1. And I've played through it twice.

I totally know the whole plot backwards and forwards if you want a summary. It also ties directly and heavily into the plot of the second game.

A summary would actually be pretty great.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmm... going from memory here so bear with me.
    Bayonetta at some time in the past wakes up from a tomb at the bottom of a lake when some archaeologist or something discovers it. Angels promptly descend, kill the archeologist for finding her first, and then she gets in some light exercise with them. By which I mean she goes Bayonetta on them.

Flash forward to present day, and she's mostly just wandering around hunting angels - part of her bargain with demons (common to all witches - it's basically just a quota and the angels all attack on sight more or less anyways). She ends up in an odd town that's suspiciously religious, and after rampaging through it a while one of the big four angels comes out to play. It starts talking about her purpose and such. She shoots it in the face. There's flashbacks mixed in here of her past (pre-waking up) - mainly just that she and Jeanne go way back and once fought for leadership of the witches more or less.

Some backstory - the lumen sages and umbra witches each carry one of the eyes of the world, and are called the overseers of history. The eyes are the literal eyes of god and crazy powerful, but how powerful only shows up at the end, which I'll get to. Bayonetta has the witches' one, though it's not apparent the import of that beyond being something the leader of the witches carries until later.

At some point in that you run into Jeanne again, except she's working with the angels now and trying to kill you.

After that big angel bit Bayonetta is annoyed and starts looking into it while carving through angels and dodging Cheshire (her nickname for a freelance journalist who dogs her all over. Turns out he's the son of that archaeologist who found her tomb). She then finds a young girl named Cereza, who's lost and looking for her mom. Since Cereza isn't trying to kill her and Bayonetta isn't heartless, she tries to help. Turns out angels are after the kid. Bayonetta does not like that and kicks their asses more. Eventually the girl is kidnapped and it gets personal. There's more flashbacks hinting at the girl's identity.

Eventually things come to a head after you slaughter every kind of angel and all four big ones and you confront the crazy town's leader. Turns out he's behind the angels being extra after Bayonetta and after Cereza. Jeanne attacks, you beat her, turns out he was mind controlling her to get at Bayonetta (also turns out he's the last lumen sage). Jeanne is NOT happy (she and Bayonetta has very similar personalities and get along great once there isn't an evil bastard manipulating things). Oh, and Cereza is Bayonetta's real name - this comes up in a flashback somewhere.

Anyways, you fight up through the office building and kick the sage's ass in, finishing him off with a lipstick tube to the skull. She then takes Cereza back to the past where she belongs (having been presumably been pulled forward by the sage, who has the other Eye, to get at Bayonetta). Anyways, the sage wanted to revive Jubileus (AKA god) by using both eyes, destroy all creation, and then become god of a new world. Bayonetta is having none of this, and he's dead. Almost. He still has the eye and magic and ambushes Bayonetta as she returns to the present, knocks her out, and awakens Jubileus. Jeanne is pissed. Control changes to Jeanne who proceeds to one-up Bayonetta trying to get her back... by riding her motorcycle straight up leaping from missile to missile to reach Jubileus. She yanks Bayonetta out of the left eye which wakes her up, though Jeanne gets knocked down. Jubileus goes out of control, foiling the sage's plan to become a god but still very much going to destroy the world. Bayonetta likes the world. Proceed to final boss battle against god that culminates in Bayonetta borrowing Jeanne's power, summoning a massive demon, and then punching Jubileus into the sun.

All is right with the world.

I know I missed a bunch of details there. I didn't mention much of the badassery going down all over. It's been a while since I played the game, so I'll let someone else fill in and fix the order of stuff.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I can barely remember the plot of Bayonetta 1 at all. I think I'm gonna try to blitz through rerelease before popping in the sequel, and find out if I'm just forgetful/inattentive, or if the game's plot just didn't make sense.

Bayonetta Needs Halos

I had no idea what was going on with the plot in Bayo 1. And I've played through it twice.

I totally know the whole plot backwards and forwards if you want a summary. It also ties directly and heavily into the plot of the second game.

Bayonetta 1 plot with spoilers.
    The Lumen Sages and the Umbran Witches are two opposing clans that each control an "Eye of the Overseer" or "Eye of the World". The Lumen Sages have the Right Eye of Light, and the Umbran Witches have the Left Eye of Darkness.

At some point in history the Sages decided to take the power of the Left Eye away from the Witches and just kill them all in the process. Bayonetta at this time, is the Umbran Witch who contains the power of the Left Eye. To keep the Sages from getting to her, Jeanne seals her away in a casket and dumps her into a lake to hide both her, and the Left Eye from the Sages.

500 years later, Bayonetta wakes up with no memory of who she is, or how or why she was in a casket at the bottom of a lake. She just has vague recollections of the phrase "Eyes of the World" she does realize that she's a witch and has kickass powers, so she basically becomes a gun for hire and hunts Angels for a living. She gets some info that there is a rich person in the city of Vigrid thats trying to purchase a rare blue gem called the Right Eye on the Black Market, thinking this might be one of the "Eyes of the World" and a clue to her identity Bayonetta goes to investigate.

This is actually all a trap set up by the last Lumen Sage who already possesses the power of the Right Eye, Balder. Who also happens to be Bayonettas own father. Balder, and an Umbran Witch named Rosa fell in love and then baby Bayo happened. Which was super bad and forbidden between the clans, so the Umbran Witches take Rosa and Bayonetta from Balder. They imprison Rosa and treat Bayonetta like an outcast.

Before Balder can get the power of the Right Eye from Bayonetta, he's got to get her to remember who she actually is for the power of the Right Eye to awaken. So using time travel hijinks, he pulls little child Bayonetta from the past from before the Umbran Witches took her and Rosa and locked them away. This is the little girl Cereza that follows you around.

Through her contact with Jeanne over the course of the game, who has been brain washed by Balder to help and by helping little Cereza and taking her back to the past and putting her back where she belongs she fully remembers who she is and then Balder takes her to this big ass statue of Jubileus the Creator, which is supposedly the being that created the three realities. With Balder and Bayonetta's power as the eyes of the world, it comes to life.

Then Jeanne who has come to her senses rides a motorcycle up goddamn rockets and saves her, then they kick its ass and punch god into the sun.

I guess I should also mention Luka. The son of an investigative reporter who was killed by angels when Bayonetta woke up from her casket. Luka saw this happen, but because he couldn't see the angels, he thought Bayonetta killed him and has been stalking her ever since to try to bring her to justice for his fathers murder, he does end up seeing the angels with Cereza's help and realizes that Bayonetta is innocent.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    My issue with Bayonetta isn't the over the top sexualization. It's her fucked up proportions. What human being is put together like that? She's supposed to be hyper sexy but I find her mostly gross to look at.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    @Viskod did a much better job than me.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    My issue with Bayonetta isn't the over the top sexualization. It's her fucked up proportions. What human being is put together like that? She's supposed to be hyper sexy but I find her mostly gross to look at.

She's not human. It's totally ok to not find her sexy. She's freakish looking.

• Options

Bayonetta Needs Halos

Bayonetta 1 plot with spoilers.
    The Lumen Sages and the Umbran Witches are two opposing clans that each control an "Eye of the Overseer" or "Eye of the World". The Lumen Sages have the Right Eye of Light, and the Umbran Witches have the Left Eye of Darkness.

At some point in history the Sages decided to take the power of the Left Eye away from the Witches and just kill them all in the process. Bayonetta at this time, is the Umbran Witch who contains the power of the Left Eye. To keep the Sages from getting to her, Jeanne seals her away in a casket and dumps her into a lake to hide both her, and the Left Eye from the Sages.

500 years later, Bayonetta wakes up with no memory of who she is, or how or why she was in a casket at the bottom of a lake. She just has vague recollections of the phrase "Eyes of the World" she does realize that she's a witch and has kickass powers, so she basically becomes a gun for hire and hunts Angels for a living. She gets some info that there is a rich person in the city of Vigrid thats trying to purchase a rare blue gem called the Right Eye on the Black Market, thinking this might be one of the "Eyes of the World" and a clue to her identity Bayonetta goes to investigate.

This is actually all a trap set up by the last Lumen Sage who already possesses the power of the Right Eye, Balder. Who also happens to be Bayonettas own father. Balder, and an Umbran Witch named Rosa fell in love and then baby Bayo happened. Which was super bad and forbidden between the clans, so the Umbran Witches take Rosa and Bayonetta from Balder. They imprison Rosa and treat Bayonetta like an outcast.

Before Balder can get the power of the Right Eye from Bayonetta, he's got to get her to remember who she actually is for the power of the Right Eye to awaken. So using time travel hijinks, he pulls little child Bayonetta from the past from before the Umbran Witches took her and Rosa and locked them away. This is the little girl Cereza that follows you around.

Through her contact with Jeanne over the course of the game, who has been brain washed by Balder to help and by helping little Cereza and taking her back to the past and putting her back where she belongs she fully remembers who she is and then Balder takes her to this big ass statue of Jubileus the Creator, which is supposedly the being that created the three realities. With Balder and Bayonetta's power as the eyes of the world, it comes to life.

Then Jeanne who has come to her senses rides a motorcycle up goddamn rockets and saves her, then they kick its ass and punch god into the sun.

I guess I should also mention Luka. The son of an investigative reporter who was killed by angels when Bayonetta woke up from her casket. Luka saw this happen, but because he couldn't see the angels, he thought Bayonetta killed him and has been stalking her ever since to try to bring her to justice for his fathers murder, he does end up seeing the angels with Cereza's help and realizes that Bayonetta is innocent.

Also:
    Bayonetta sold her soul to a demon named Madama Butterfly to get even more wacky powers. She has to provide it with halos otherwise it'll drag her to hell.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I honestly thought those were Sonic rings.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Bayonetta is based on proportions from fashion design sheets, which is why she has such insanely long legs and a comparatively tiny head. It's a very conscious design decision and a very cool one.

EDIT: I feel like 'mostly gross' and 'freakish looking' is going way too far, but she definitely doesn't fit into conventional videogame attractive girl stereotypes. She's a very female ideal of a beautiful woman instead of a male ideal, which could be part of it. Her proportions are definitely off from what is considered normal or even possible, though. She's supposed to be sexually dominating instead of sexually appealing? Now I'm just rambling vague thoughts.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think it's probably disingenuous to use the fashion industry, which is still heavily influenced by male perspective and used as a cultural tool of oppression, as a symbol of female empowerment

Bayonetta's design is really unique in that it uses fashion sketches as its basis

But there's a lot to be said there about fashion as a tool to control women's idea of beauty

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man I come home and see 80+ new posts and thought I missed an announcement. You fuckers.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Now, I've only played DMC1 so far, but I don't think Dante was really portrayed in an overtly sexual manner.

Oh ho ho, he absolutely is later on.

Alright. I'll probably know wha you mean as I continue on with DMC 3 and further.

He becomes increasingly flirtatious with the player and allergic to shirts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Man I come home and see 80+ new posts and thought I missed an announcement. You fuckers.

You... miss announcements?

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    personally I really like this analysis of Bayonetta's character design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnkoLGiF1K8

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options

We were just talking about how awesome Bayonetta is.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

Bayonetta is based on proportions from fashion design sheets, which is why she has such insanely long legs and a comparatively tiny head. It's a very conscious design decision and a very cool one.

EDIT: I feel like 'mostly gross' and 'freakish looking' is going way too far, but she definitely doesn't fit into conventional videogame attractive girl stereotypes. She's a very female ideal of a beautiful woman instead of a male ideal, which could be part of it. Her proportions are definitely off from what is considered normal or even possible, though. She's supposed to be sexually dominating instead of sexually appealing? Now I'm just rambling vague thoughts.

I don't mean to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Fact is if I saw a real, live person with Bayonetta's body, I would wonder what syndrome or disorder this person is dealing with. Her design is about as aesthetically pleasing as Rob Liefeld's notorious Captain America art.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    No, I have to say I haven't seen a picture of Bayonetta that manages to mangle perspective that badly.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Can we please leave liefeld's monstrosity back in whatever ditch you yanked it out of? Comparing anyone's work to that thing is just too extreme an insult.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Okay maybe it's not quite that bad but I still think her design is all kinds of screwed up. It's not going to stop me from buying or playing the game, though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I never really noticed beyond thinking "she's pretty tall"

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I never really noticed beyond thinking "she's pretty tall"

I actually thought it was just the bizarre, supernatural Stiletto Guns that made her legs seem superhumanly long. Like she was always wearing twelve-inch platforms.

I was too busy swording things to death to really care.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Ugg.. what is wrong with me? I just spent all night playing NES Remix (1). You know, the one with like 2 good games and then Ice Climber -_- (seriously, Ice Climber is the WORST game.. they should have a Remix version where you actually get decent jump physics). I never unlocked a lot in that version because, again, the games are mostly terrible, so don't ask me what compelled me to go back to it :P Also that one is WAAAAAAAAAAY stingier on rainbow stars than Remix 2. Damn. (I also miss the replay feature :()

To be fair, Pinball is still pretty ok... Also I think I am the only person who kind of sort of enjoys Clu Clu Land... everyone else seems to hate it. It's not the best, but it's kind of fun in a Pacman sort of way. Also they were nice and never made me do the second level of Donkey Kong Jr. for reals, because that level is horrible and the entire reason I hate that game (seriously, platforming in a game where falling 2 pixels kills you?).

BTW, wtf is up with Baseball? Seriously, who designed that? I hit the ball and my dude on 1st starts running BACK TO FIRST. GO TO SECOND YOU MORON! Ugg... Why would I want to ever want him to go back to 1st when I have a batter going there?

Golf made me wish for NES Open on Remix 2, which is a weird feeling. Like, it's almost an ok game, except I am not a golfer so if you aren't going to tell me whether I should be using a 1W or a 9IR, don't get all mad when I can't make the green in two strokes just because I don't know all the clubs by heart :P At least NES Open gave you some feedback!

Edit: Also the remix stages where they give you two Ice Climbers to control at the same time? Fail NES Remix. Why didn't you make one pink?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Mblackwell wrote: »

You... miss announcements?

If they work like most contractor places, they only let them know about the project they're on and nothing more to minimize leak risk.

Opty on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    pls no insulterino my waifu bayoneta she is very sensitive about her legs : (

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I really wish Nintendo could have swapped the Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors release dates. Or I'd had the sense to completely avoid all videos and soundtracks from the second game when it was released in Japan.

I know things now. And this is going to be a really slow and agonizing four weeks.

• Options
    I am much more excited to play Hyrule Warriors than Bayonetta but I likes 'em both.

• Options
    I want to be excited for Hyrule Warriors, but I've never played a Warriors game before so I'm kind of worried I'm going to get bored with it sooner than I'd like.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

She can take it. She has the legs and probably an appropriate pair of boots to walk it off.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

She can take it. She has the legs and probably an appropriate pair of boots to walk it off.

If she can't walk it off in shotgun boots I don't think anyone can walk it off.

• Options
    Some boots are made for walking and some boots... are made for kicking rockets into god.