As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I love Bayonetta, but I'm not expecting it to sell great over here. Sure, we're Nintendo fans who also like M-rated action fests, but I'm not sure there's that many of us.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Bayo1 coming with 2 is permanent, right? I don't have to worry about it going away if I wait a week or two to buy a copy.

Pretty sure. They are being bundled together and I would be surprised if they stopped doing that. Plus they are both available separate for digital download, so it would be weird for them to randomly take Bayo 1 down.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    I personally don't have an issue with cheesecake and fan service (though I have my limits), but one thing I've learned from the gaming community is that it's only exploitation if it's in a game I don't like.

...yeah, that's not exactly helpful. That's like ending an argument with "I'll pray for you."

Oh bless your heart. I'll be praying for you too.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I really don't know what to do about Bayonetta 2.

On the one hand, I hate that game's whole...aesthetic, and completely ignored the original when it came out (not that I owned a console it was released on anyway, but still).

On the other, Wonderful 101 was fun enough that I kind of want to play another Platinum game.

look at dis animation

LOOK AT IT

http://videos.videopress.com/hbzI9GFS/20140214_sse2_hd.mp4

apparently bayo2 only pushed 38k copies in japan... the fak

Platinum Games + WiiU install base + Japan hating console gaming = it was doomed to fail.

bayo1 pushed 200k units in japan at launch

mario kart pushed 1mill copies

install base not big enough to explain discrepancy except mebbe demographic mismatch for wii u owners and bayonetta 2 buyers

es targic either way

hope western performance makes up 4 it

While it's true Bayo sold 200K at launch, it was between two systems:

PS3 Bayonetta 138,430 206,142
    360 Bayonetta 66,211 118,165

At the time in Japan between PS3/360 there were roughly five million systems out there. This was in October of 2009 when Bayo released. Right now there are roughly 2 million WiiUs out in the wild.

Bayo 2 is releasing to terrible numbers but so did Bayonetta. Part of it is that Bayonetta didn't sell well, Platinum games don't sell well, the install base is not great, and like you said the demographics probably added to it not selling well. All in all, Bayonetta is not a franchise that will be a hit. The first wasn't, it's why Sega dropped it like a bad habit. Nintendo picked up the dev cost to get the game made, but they must have known they were backing a losing horse. Sales possibilities wasn't their motivating factor. It was all to try and coax some of the 'hardcore' gamers to the WiiU. It probably worked as well as they figured it would.

Hopefully it does better in the US, but probably not. Once again, it's a game by Platinum. They are incapable of making a game that is a sales success.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I wouldn't have a Wii U (yet) if it weren't for Bayonetta 2, so it worked for me.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a Wii U (yet) if it weren't for Bayonetta 2, so it worked for me.

Huh, yeah that's true for me too. The whole reason I bought it was Bayo2.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

On the one hand, I hate that game's whole...aesthetic, and completely ignored the original when it came out (not that I owned a console it was released on anyway, but still).

On the other, Wonderful 101 was fun enough that I kind of want to play another Platinum game.

look at dis animation

LOOK AT IT

Platinum Games + WiiU install base + Japan hating console gaming = it was doomed to fail.

install base not big enough to explain discrepancy except mebbe demographic mismatch for wii u owners and bayonetta 2 buyers

es targic either way

At the time in Japan between PS3/360 there were roughly five million systems out there. This was in October of 2009 when Bayo released. Right now there are roughly 2 million WiiUs out in the wild.

Bayo 2 is releasing to terrible numbers but so did Bayonetta. Part of it is that Bayonetta didn't sell well, Platinum games don't sell well, the install base is not great, and like you said the demographics probably added to it not selling well. All in all, Bayonetta is not a franchise that will be a hit. The first wasn't, it's why Sega dropped it like a bad habit. Nintendo picked up the dev cost to get the game made, but they must have known they were backing a losing horse. Sales possibilities wasn't their motivating factor. It was all to try and coax some of the 'hardcore' gamers to the WiiU. It probably worked as well as they figured it would.

Hopefully it does better in the US, but probably not. Once again, it's a game by Platinum. They are incapable of making a game that is a sales success.

Did Metal Gear Rising flop?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Bayonetta 2 is really a perfect exclusive for Wii U. Nobody wants to make games for Wii U and nobody wanted to throw away their money bankrolling Bayonetta 2. The fact that Bayonetta 2 will bomb is the only reason it was made for Wii U to begin with.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thank you for that lovely sentiment. It's as if the industry thread were still alive and with us today.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Renzo wrote: »
    There's some exploitation in Bayo, no doubt. Mainly in the intro and during the big transformations. But overall, she's not there for ogling. And as the game progresses, there's less and less.

There is the introduction of the Succubus-type enemy. That's probably the most blatant example in the whole game.

When Wyvern mentioned aesthetic it went totally over my head. I thought they meant the environment and enemy design.

I would also say give the game a chance first. It really is just crazy fun.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    I can barely remember the plot of Bayonetta 1 at all. I think I'm gonna try to blitz through rerelease before popping in the sequel, and find out if I'm just forgetful/inattentive, or if the game's plot just didn't make sense.

• Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    I can barely remember the plot of Bayonetta 1 at all. I think I'm gonna try to blitz through rerelease before popping in the sequel, and find out if I'm just forgetful/inattentive, or if the game's plot just didn't make sense.

Bayonetta Needs Halos

If there was more than that I didn't catch it.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I had no idea what was going on with the plot in Bayo 1. And I've played through it twice.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    You've got about 36 hours left to pre-order Hyrule Warriors if you want your bonus retailer costume of choice.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    You've got about 36 hours left to pre-order Hyrule Warriors of you want your bonus retailer costume of choice.

MINE'S IN THE MAIL ALREADY

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Enlong wrote: »

look at dis animation

LOOK AT IT

es targic either way

MGR was probably one of their higher selling games. It opened at at 308,681 according to media create. I think it ended up with roughly 470K in Japan when all was said and done. By the release there were roughly 9 million PS3s sold, so it did pretty poor considering install base. MGR opened in the US at 5 and was gone by March NPD.

So it did okish.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

Bayonetta Needs Halos

If there was more than that I didn't catch it.
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I had no idea what was going on with the plot in Bayo 1. And I've played through it twice.

I totally know the whole plot backwards and forwards if you want a summary. It also ties directly and heavily into the plot of the second game.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Bayonetta is Dante. If youre okay with him but have a problem with a lady asserting her self and her sexuality in the same tounge and cheek manner the " asthetic" isnt your problem.
    I've never played any DMC game, so I don't know anything about Dante. God knows I've always despised everything Duke Nukem represents, but I don't know if there's a fair comparison to be made there or not.

There's a pretty big rift between the concept of Bayonetta as a hypothetical human being and the concept of Bayonetta as the product of a video game corporation. This is an industry where female characters, very nearly without exception, are designed with the primary or sole purpose of appealing to the male gaze. Nothing I saw in the way Bayonetta was presented and advertised in the media suggested that anyone at Platinum was bucking that trend. I certainly don't recall the phrase "crotch shots" ever coming up in discussions about Dante.

But I've seen this conversation play out on these forums a dozen times, and I can't really contribute anything new to the discussion without having played the game. Maybe that alone is excuse enough to buy it. It wouldn't be the first time I bought a game just so I could complain about it on the internet (the difference being that I only paid about $7.50 for BioShock Infinite).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Bayonetta is Dante. If youre okay with him but have a problem with a lady asserting her self and her sexuality in the same tounge and cheek manner the " asthetic" isnt your problem.
    I've never played any DMC game, so I don't know anything about Dante. God knows I've always despised everything Duke Nukem represents, but I don't know if there's a fair comparison to be made there or not.

There's a pretty big rift between the concept of Bayonetta as a hypothetical human being and the concept of Bayonetta as the product of a video game corporation. This is an industry where female characters, very nearly without exception, are designed with the primary or sole purpose of appealing to the male gaze. Nothing I saw in the way Bayonetta was presented and advertised in the media suggested that anyone at Platinum was bucking that trend. I certainly don't recall the phrase "crotch shots" ever coming up in discussions about Dante.

But I've seen this conversation play out on these forums a dozen times, and I can't really contribute anything new to the discussion without having played the game. Maybe that alone is excuse enough to buy it. It wouldn't be the first time I bought a game just so I could complain about it on the internet (the difference being that I only paid about $7.50 for BioShock Infinite).

Dante has a few crotch shots actually and a hilarious bit with a pizza crust during a strip tease. He is nowhere near a Duke Nukem.

The advertising for Bayonetta was absolutely and completely replusive.

But yes, absolutely borrow the game and give it a go.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    This is all you need to know about Dante:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJafPKap0VM

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    In other news, it wouldn't be a Wii U port without some shit being missing

Edit: wow looks like the watch dogs twitter deleted te tweet. Basically te Wii U version isn't getting any DLC. No surprise.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The only commercial for Bayonetta 1 I ever saw was this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8strvZ404Y

Which sucks just because they use a quote for 'redefines over the top' but then doesn't show any of the crazy over the top stuff from the game. Unless having guns on your shoes is over the top.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    The only commercial for Bayonetta 1 I ever saw was this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8strvZ404Y

Which sucks just because they use a quote for 'redefines over the top' but then doesn't show any of the crazy over the top stuff from the game. Unless having guns on your shoes is over the top.

it is a little over the top

i mean i have maybe 2 pairs with guns in them

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I bought the game immediately when someone said "she has guns attached to her feet".

• Options
    I'm desensitized to gunshoes then. The rest of Bayonetta made the fact that you can equip weapons on her feet to just totally mundane by comparison.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I bought the game immediately when someone said "she has guns attached to her feet".

Yes, "shotgun boots" was definitely a selling point.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The weaponized demon hair is also a pretty solid selling point.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    In other news, it wouldn't be a Wii U port without some shit being missing

Edit: wow looks like the watch dogs twitter deleted te tweet. Basically te Wii U version isn't getting any DLC. No surprise.

Unless the DLC somehow transforms it into a fun game, no big loss.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Yes, "Rawket Lawnchair boots" was definitely a selling point.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    The advertising for Bayonetta 2 was garbage, she's presented much better within the game itself. There's some egregious shit (Nun costume in the intro, a handful of lingering buttshots in cut scenes, the fucking goddamn Joys,) but the general sense of Bayonetta is a very powerful woman who just doesn't give a fuck and it's presented in a mostly non-objectifying way.
    When her clothes come off, the camera is focusing on the Wicked Weaves and demons that are demolishing the opposition, not her "sexy body."

It's a game with two very powerful and central female characters who literally murder the patriarchy and it's played pretty well. Not perfect, but immensely better than the advertising spots would have you believe.

• Options
    Oh Kilgore. Oh Lightning Claws and Kilgore switching trick. So many rockets, so many beautiful rockets.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Oh Kilgore. Oh Lightning Claws and Kilgore switching trick. So many rockets, so many beautiful rockets.

So beautiful.

Although I'm still aquiver with excitement with how easy it is to kill Grace/Glory teams using Kulshedra now. One whip grab and spin is enough to kill half the pair, and solo they're a million times easier.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

look at dis animation

LOOK AT IT

es targic either way

no, did well enough to guarantee sequel

kojima said very pleased with sales

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

i talk about this a bit more over here if you are interested

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/30704018/#Comment_30704018

bayonetta is an interesting mix

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    shouldn't you be spreading over the west coast of austrailia

• Options
    shouldn't you be spreading over the west coast of austrailia

no

australia doesnt appreciate me... im going solo

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Now, I've only played DMC1 so far, but I don't think Dante was really portrayed in an overtly sexual manner. Certainly it played up some power fantasy stuff by making him a nearly unkillable badass who blows up a motorcycle with handguns while being impaled in his first scene, but there wasn't much that was sexualized beyond him generally being a badass.

Which was probably a good thing, since that might have made the game into an Oedipal nightmare, considering Trish.

• Options
    Now, I've only played DMC1 so far, but I don't think Dante was really portrayed in an overtly sexual manner.

Oh ho ho, he absolutely is later on.

• Options
    Now, I've only played DMC1 so far, but I don't think Dante was really portrayed in an overtly sexual manner.

Oh ho ho, he absolutely is later on.

Alright. I'll probably know wha you mean as I continue on with DMC 3 and further.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    When mentioning decent games for the Wii U, I'm gonna include Injustice : Gods Amoung Us. I got it quite cheap and I'm enjoying the single player story mode.