As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    It's not that bad. It's mostly just egg shells.

Unless it's the Delfino Island Yoshis.

If he gets even a single drop of water on them they dissolve instantly and that's just a big ol' mess to clean up.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    My loyalty is extremely cheap. I'd report Dover to Nintendo for leaking so fast just for an early copy of Smash Bros.

I'd do the same for Bayonetta Dover.

Like, the actual character model replaced by one of Dover? Dover wearing the Bayonetta outfit?

pleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyespleaseyes

6xRmJL.png

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    It's not that bad. It's mostly just egg shells.

Unless it's the Delfino Island Yoshis.

If he gets even a single drop of water on them they dissolve instantly and that's just a big ol' mess to clean up.

nbeoo8bb3aii.jpg

"Go figure that the tropical breed of Yoshi is allergic to both water and fruit."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    My loyalty is extremely cheap. I'd report Dover to Nintendo for leaking so fast just for an early copy of Smash Bros.

I'd do the same for Bayonetta Dover.

Like, the actual character model replaced by one of Dover? Dover wearing the Bayonetta outfit?

Punctuation Fail.

• Options
    So Nintendo is only 125 years old "today" as it's already the 23rd in Japan.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Here's to 125 more years of love hotels!

wait what

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    My Wii Fit U routine was rudely interrupted this morning with the following:
    There is a problem with the system memory.
    For help, make a note of the error code and visit support.nintendo.com.
    Error code: 160-0103
    1) 5.1.2 2) WUP-101(02) 3) FW406819657 4)AFC5-0211-7350

Lovely...

According to the Nintendo support rep, i have three options:
    1. Hope it doesn't do it again.

2. Reformat the WiiU which is the recommended fix.
    2a. Lose all of your saves.
    2b. Save your saves to an external drive, but it may not recognize it after you reformat.

3. Send it in for repair, but it could take up to 2 weeks to get it back. They will save (or attempt to) your data though.

Choices, choices...

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    If you're still under warranty I say send it in for the piece of mind.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nintendo's next console is just a deck of Hanafuda cards

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

The ultimate motion control experience.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

I dunno, that could be pretty intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5nlS8KU6p4o

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Summer Wars is a really good movie!

Hey Bayonetta 2 got a 10 in Eurogamer. They're notoriously tough to please. Their list of 10s from the last 10 or so years reads like a "Best of the Best" list.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Summer Wars is a really good movie!

Hey Bayonetta 2 got a 10 in Eurogamer. They're notoriously tough to please. Their list of 10s from the last 10 or so years reads like a "Best of the Best" list.

and a 10 in edge

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    and a 10 in my heart

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    and a 10 in my heart

and a 10 on my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiik

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Oh wait I think I meant Edge.

frickin...begins-with-an-E gaming publications

Doesn't matter, buying it anyway.

• Options
    Cannot Wait. Cannot Wait. Cannot Wait. The game looks amazing. The soundtrack is awesome.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I really don't know what to do about Bayonetta 2.

On the one hand, I hate that game's whole...aesthetic, and completely ignored the original when it came out (not that I owned a console it was released on anyway, but still).

On the other, Wonderful 101 was fun enough that I kind of want to play another Platinum game.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

On the one hand, I hate that game's whole...aesthetic, and completely ignored the original when it came out (not that I owned a console it was released on anyway, but still).

On the other, Wonderful 101 was fun enough that I kind of want to play another Platinum game.

Bayonetta 1 was super fun. Don't get too hung up on the "aesthetic" - it honestly wasn't even a huge part of that game (at least not as much as they'd make you think it was)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I can't find the Eurogamer review. You sure it wasn't one of the regional Eurogamer sites?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I can't find the Eurogamer review. You sure it wasn't one of the regional Eurogamer sites?

He meant to say Edge.

• Options
    I hate that game's whole...aesthetic

I don't know what to do about these words. They confuse and frighten me.

Bayonetta has probably been the most fun protagonist I've played in games in a very long while.

You could try Metal Gear Rising. It's got the same Platinum action goodness.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Put it this way: what little I played of Dragon's Crown I was wincing the whole time.

I forgot about Bayonetta's design about five minutes in because it's almost the least crazy thing about the game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So does Bayo 2 have an actual release date yet for the West? All I'm seeing is Oct 2014.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    October 24th.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bayonetta is Dante. If youre okay with him but have a problem with a lady asserting her self and her sexuality in the same tounge and cheek manner the " asthetic" isnt your problem.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So does Bayo 2 have an actual release date yet for the West? All I'm seeing is Oct 2014.

It's coming out on my birthday. That's all I care about.

Oh and my birthday's October 24th.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    What you do about Bayonetta 2 is you play it. Or play Bayo 1 first.

Once you play it for 5 minutes you'll see it's not really what it appears to be as far as exploitation.

• Options

look at dis animation

LOOK AT IT

http://videos.videopress.com/hbzI9GFS/20140214_sse2_hd.mp4

apparently bayo2 only pushed 38k copies in japan... the fak

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Bayonetta is Dante. If youre okay with him but have a problem with a lady asserting her self and her sexuality in the same tounge and cheek manner the " asthetic" isnt your problem.

Eh... the two have a lot of overlap, but it's not exactly equivalent. Bayo is definitely assertive and sexualized, and that's fine*, but there are also moments where she is objectified: just look at the cutscene from Bayo1 used in all those comparison vids, when the Angels rip apart her sexy nun outfit, the camera lingering on the teasing expose of her leg, her butt, her breasts, each cut accompanied by a sexual sounding moan. Yeah. I don't remember that happening to Dante.

That said, I still enjoyed the hell out of Bayo1 and highly recommend the game to anyone, because while there are some moments of objectification, I feel the strength of her character and the over-the-top tone of the game helps counter-balance the more problematic fan service.

*I'm asterisking "fine" here because many people may disagree with me that sexualization of a female character is "okay" given generations of power imbalance and cultural context, and that's a valid perspective that I won't argue against. I simply personally don't mind sexualization of either gender (where appropriate) so long as it doesn't cross into objectification.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I personally don't have an issue with cheesecake and fan service (though I have my limits), but one thing I've learned from the gaming community is that it's only exploitation if it's in a game I don't like.

• Options
    It's absolutely cheesecake and fan service and I have a HUGE issue with cheesecake and fan service but it's some of the best done, least offensive cheesecake and fan service I've ever seen. But it's still totally ok not to like it. There's absolutely bits you can point at and say That Is Not Okay.

And no, Dante comes nowhere near the level of Bayonetta and he so depereately needs to.

• Options
    There's some exploitation in Bayo, no doubt. Mainly in the intro and during the big transformations. But overall, she's not there for ogling. And as the game progresses, there's less and less.

There is the introduction of the Succubus-type enemy. That's probably the most blatant example in the whole game.

• Options
    Yeah, if you play Bayonetta and come away still grossed out or offended, I totally understand and support that decision.

but you have to absolutely play Bayonetta first

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

look at dis animation

LOOK AT IT

Platinum Games + WiiU install base + Japan hating console gaming = it was doomed to fail.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I personally don't have an issue with cheesecake and fan service (though I have my limits), but one thing I've learned from the gaming community is that it's only exploitation if it's in a game I don't like.

...yeah, that's not exactly helpful. That's like ending an argument with "I'll pray for you."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

look at dis animation

LOOK AT IT

Platinum Games + WiiU install base + Japan hating console gaming = it was doomed to fail.

Really you probably just need the first one there :P Platinum seems really bad at marketing their games.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »

...yeah, that's not exactly helpful. That's like ending an argument with "I'll pray for you."

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a piece of media with problematic elements so long as we retain the ability to critically view the media and call out those elements.

And as @Renzo said, there are, honestly, very few of these moments in Bayo1, and they are front-loaded into the early parts of the game. Past these, you'll find one of the strongest-willed female characters ever written and some absolutely fantastic combat systems with an amazing amount of customization. The game's just flat out fun.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

look at dis animation

LOOK AT IT

bayo1 pushed 200k units in japan at launch

mario kart pushed 1mill copies

install base not big enough to explain discrepancy except mebbe demographic mismatch for wii u owners and bayonetta 2 buyers

es targic either way

hope western performance makes up 4 it

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Bayo1 coming with 2 is permanent, right? I don't have to worry about it going away if I wait a week or two to buy a copy.