Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If you have access to The Shuttered Court I think one of the creative works there pays in rostygold as well, though I can't remember which. It takes many actions to finish but pays out about 3000 for a completed work.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Is there a particularly good source of Whispered secrets for people with sub 100 stats? Best I found so far is in Veilgarden which gives 54 and a Society boost but I could use expedition supply accrual going faster than that.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Can you get into the empress court or duel with the black ribbon yet?
    docks>supplies is much more efficient than secrets I think.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Just paying cash money actually ends up being a reasonably efficient way to get expedition supplies, though it is less action efficient.

Just do whichever actions you have that get you the most stuff that you can sell off to prep for it.

You end up paying 2.50 echoes and one action per supply.

After POSI, just buying labor for 13.50 echoes and trading that in for five supplies became my favorite choice

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Can you get into the empress court or duel with the black ribbon yet?
    docks>supplies is much more efficient than secrets I think.

Docks takes bring a level 10 connection down to 3. It takes a lot longer to get that much connected for me than 200 secrets.

Not yet able to duel yet. The court is easy enough to reach though.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    When you are dueling there is an action take a break from dueling that gives a good amount of docks connection, and if you write a patriotic adventure for the empress or a new take on a folk song they give a ton and half a ton of docks connected respectively. That's how I did it. Seems like you end up needing a lot of secrets for other stuff down the line.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Also on rostygold

That unfinished business on watchmaker's hill gives a random amount

And it seems to like fucking me over to the tune of like 300 rostygold for 5 actions

• Options
    I'm guessing you are past it but one of the professions dumps rosty gold on you, also the hunting the big beasts and dueling the black ribbon give huge amounts. I kind of get annoyed everytime something gives me it because I have way too much of it.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah I'm actually keeping my Profession as Watcher right now because I'm working on collecting Antique Secrets for a Reservation at the Royal Bethlehem

I've turned to dueling entirely because it's pretty much the last reliable source of rostygold I can find after I fucked up and finished coil 3 of the Labyrinth too soon (If you haven't done it yet, getting a Gang of Hoodlums requires a minimum of 10,000 rostygold)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: Β»
    Yeah I'm actually keeping my Profession as Watcher right now because I'm working on collecting Antique Secrets for a Reservation at the Royal Bethlehem

I've turned to dueling entirely because it's pretty much the last reliable source of rostygold I can find after I fucked up and finished coil 2 of the Labyrinth too soon (If you haven't done it yet, getting a Gang of Hoodlums requires a minimum of 10,000 rostygold)

I thought the Bethlehem was honey?

Hmm. I've bribed a bunch of people, I'm at the point where I need 8 use of Villians, and have 6k rostygold hanging out.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited April 2015

I've turned to dueling entirely because it's pretty much the last reliable source of rostygold I can find after I fucked up and finished coil 2 of the Labyrinth too soon (If you haven't done it yet, getting a Gang of Hoodlums requires a minimum of 10,000 rostygold)

I thought the Bethlehem was honey?

Hmm. I've bribed a bunch of people, I'm at the point where I need 8 use of Villians, and have 6k rostygold hanging out.

It's 40,000 Prisoner's Honey or you get the Cheery Gentleman card while having over 100 Watchful and he'll sell you the reservation for 50 Antique Mysteries, which so far has been much easier than getting that quantity of honey. (Right now I'm at 21 Antique Mystery, and I've got a bunch of Tales of Terror to try and fabricate a few more)

EDIT: Between my weekly payment and saving up four professional perks for a trade secret, I'm looking at an automatic 9 Antique Mysteries per month. Plus whatever the Fidgeting Writer feels like giving me.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    So is there any benefit to picking the last constable? So far it seems like a ton of benefits to not picking her and it's kind of dumb.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So is there any benefit to picking the last constable? So far it seems like a ton of benefits to not picking her and it's kind of dumb.

Not sure, I picked the Last Constable before I knew what either choice actually did in the long run

Also, War of Assassins is a pretty good way to get Use of Villains. Took me around 35 actions to get 2x Use of Villains, with a bunch of failures mixed in

EDIT: With no failures, it would take 9-10 actions per CP of Dramatic Tension, and you need 3 to finish

Maddoc on
  • Options

Not sure, I picked the Last Constable before I knew what either choice actually did in the long run

Also, War of Assassins is a pretty good way to get Use of Villains. Took me around 35 actions to get 2x Use of Villains, with a bunch of failures mixed in

EDIT: With no failures, it would take 9-10 actions per CP of Dramatic Tension, and you need 3 to finish

Yeah that's what in working on but I have a lot of failures heh.

At college the golden path storylet is 95 rostygold for one action. Unless it's random.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Gang of hoodlums get!
    I'm super dreaded!
    I'm not sure what they are used for except stealing in the flit so I guess I'll try that.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Was just coming here to post the same thing, finished my Gang of Hoodlums just now. My first POSI item.

Next up, grinding Shadowy so I can reliably steal Antique Mysteries from Feducci.

• Options
    Robbing the Bazaar is thoroughly disappointing FYI.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Failing at robbing the bazaar, however, is hilarious

• Options
    Failing at robbing the bazaar, however, is hilarious
    Instant prison or something more entertaining?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    36 CP of Nightmares

Enough to go from 0 to 8

• Options
    edited April 2015
    26 Antique Mysteries to go

Think it's time to just buckle down and grind out the Fidgeting Writer

And then I can set my sights on like fifty searing enigmas woooo

Wonder if the Christmas route to upgrade to the five card lodgings is any easier

EDIT: goddamnit Indie you can't just change your avatar like that I couldn't find this thread

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Five card lodging? Details please!

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Each of the four card lodgings can be uprgaded to a five card lodging with a preposterously expensive item. (Each one sells for about 1500 echoes)

The one I'm going for requires an Impossible Theorem, which takes 49 Searing Enigma to create.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Hmm I already have 12 antique mysteries. I guess I should do that one too.
    What POSI item are you going for next? Or just stealing for the foreseeable future?
    Also what are the differences between the different ships?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    ghdlfjkdfj

i have

7 jeweled lenses

20 labor

now i just gotta get tha contraptions

I have Wilmot's End but damn that's gonna be like

1200 actions to get

not even kidding

you gotta hit the carousel 3 times for every Contraption, which is about 20 actions,and you need 20 of them

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hmmm I seem to have misplaced my soul somewhere. I could have sworn I left it just around here.

• Options
    ghdlfjkdfj

i have

7 jeweled lenses

20 labor

1200 actions to get

not even kidding

you gotta hit the carousel 3 times for every Contraption, which is about 20 actions,and you need 20 of them

Holy crap, what are you even trying to make?
    What POSI item are you going for next? Or just stealing for the foreseeable future?

Some combination of stealing, and grinding the Fidgeting Writer carousel for now. Just trying to get my lodging before I do anything else.

After that? Fuck, I don't even know. Been kind of tempted to open a Salon or an Orphanage though.

• Options

tha fuckin Zubmarine

You need 20 Whirring Contraptions, 20 Strong Backed Labor, and 7 Jeweled Lenses

I had decent cash (not Hella. Hella Cash would imply I could get a Goat. Not yet...) so I just bought the Labor; spent a lot of time screaming at archaeological digs and screaming at the Arena in the Labyrinth for the Diamonds and Plaques and just BOUGHT the Moon Pearls

but Contraptions take Memories of Light and Luminescent Scarabs, OR you can just GRIND THE DAMN WILMOT'S END CAROUSEL

I hear that the Yacht is even worse...

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    The yacht is not only worse, it requires passing a 30% luck action that consumes some of your resources on a failure.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I just recently got the Clipper. It's unique card is really effective at speeding up the Unterzee (which mostly seems to be a useless card grind to get to the profitable islands), which is nice.

Now I just need Cellars of Wine and rats on a string, which I forgot to bring to my Ambition. So I have to ship back to London and then ship back again. I think I might grab a searing Enigma or two from a well first, though.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I guess I actually should work on getting a ship soonish

the next step of my Ambition requires I go spend some time in the Iron Republic

EDIT: Hm... if I cashed in my Rainbow of Offerings, I could pretty much just immediately get myself a Clay Sedan Chair, or a Membership of Gods Editors, actually

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ghdlfjkdfj

i have

7 jeweled lenses

20 labor

1200 actions to get

not even kidding

Some combination of stealing, and grinding the Fidgeting Writer carousel for now. Just trying to get my lodging before I do anything else.

After that? Fuck, I don't even know. Been kind of tempted to open a Salon or an Orphanage though.

How do you start those?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    milski wrote: Β»
    I just recently got the Clipper. It's unique card is really effective at speeding up the Unterzee (which mostly seems to be a useless card grind to get to the profitable islands), which is nice.

Now I just need Cellars of Wine and rats on a string, which I forgot to bring to my Ambition. So I have to ship back to London and then ship back again. I think I might grab a searing Enigma or two from a well first, though.

I actually HAD the Clipper; the thing is, that ship doesn't give any BDR, and I need moar BDR because I need more Notability.

I kinda snubbed the Amurensis which docked me quite a bit >>;

• Options
    Well his ear is oily.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    To start a Salon or Orphanage, you have to buy the Townhouse and wait for the card to show up

Then spend loads of connections to open a Salon that allows you to convert connections into Making Waves, or spend around 600 echoes worth of junk to open an Orphanage that allows you to convert money into Making Waves and also buy a fate locked pet that gives +10 Dangerous, +10 Watchful, +10 Shadowy

• Options
    I have a Salon and can confirm that it's awesome and probably the best way to get Making Waves. At one point I had like... too many Waves. SO MANY WAVES.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    To start a Salon or Orphanage, you have to buy the Townhouse and wait for the card to show up

Then spend loads of connections to open a Salon that allows you to convert connections into Making Waves, or spend around 600 echoes worth of junk to open an Orphanage that allows you to convert money into Making Waves and also buy a fate locked pet that gives +10 Dangerous, +10 Watchful, +10 Shadowy

That would explain things. I skipped the townhouse to go straight to the Royal Bethlehem.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I have a Salon and can confirm that it's awesome and probably the best way to get Making Waves. At one point I had like... too many Waves. SO MANY WAVES.

This is what I've heard

I almost want to go the crazy person route and make an Orphanage just to get the pet, then trash it and replace it with a Salon

And thinking about that in in-universe terms would make me a complete monster (Moreso than running the orphanage in the first place since, narratively, it's basically you sell children to the Brass Embassy occasionally, or they graduate and become criminals)

The Salon also has more useful BDR

Maddoc on
  • Options
    So this week I should finally get my last delivery of 1250 rats and open the labyrinth. Then I guess try and switch professions to mystic to get weekly Antique mysteries?

Does the salon itself fit into one of those weird slots and give bdr? or does it just give things that give it?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So this week I should finally get my last delivery of 1250 rats and open the labyrinth. Then I guess try and switch professions to mystic to get weekly Antique mysteries?

Does the salon itself fit into one of those weird slots and give bdr? or does it just give things that give it?

It goes into the affiliation slot, gives +1 Bizarre, +2 Respectable

The Orphanage gives +4 Respectable, but so does the Membership of Gods Editors

EDIT: Also, easy trick for opening up the Labyrinth of Tigers

Have no more than 95 I think? Dangerous so you can get the day pass to the Labyrinth card to show up

Then go through the early parts of the Labyrinth story with finding the Tiger Keeper, which gets you 7000 rats for free

Maddoc on
This discussion has been closed.