As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    hey gnome

hey

you play fallen london too

if so, what's your profile

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Also from this month's Exceptional story:

2Z4C5kC.png

spot on, old chap

*picks one, then the other*

Orphane on
  • Options
    step 4 out of 6:

CfP0STj.png

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hey gnome

hey

you play fallen london too

if so, what's your profile

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/The Thirsty

i don't really log in particularly frequently - i enjoy the setting, but the browser game (and the pace of Sunless Sea) are not really my preferred method of interaction

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    Trying to get prepared for the upcoming renown conversion. I have a strong suspicion that it is going to start Monday morning, so if you have any last minute grinds you want to do for Revolutionaries, Bohemians, the Church, or Society these may be your last moments. I am currently grinding them like crazy in the hopes that they will actually covert into something useful.

Current List:
    Revolutionaries - Connected 313
    Bohemians - Connected 336
    Church - Connected 342
    Society - Connected 960

Sigh, knowing the past vicious conversion rates these will most likely only get me to around 25-28 renown. Ohhh welllll.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    there's a new super late endgame grind for getting your stats boosted all the way past the limit to a maximum of 215, then getting some unique qualities that require pretty specific and esoteric requirements of their own - supposedly, this is what will lead to unlocking A Paramount Presence for POSI

right now I'm working on the watchful one, and that requires winning 100 games of chess, so feel free to send me a game invite if you'd like

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Trying to get prepared for the upcoming renown conversion. I have a strong suspicion that it is going to start Monday morning, so if you have any last minute grinds you want to do for Revolutionaries, Bohemians, the Church, or Society these may be your last moments. I am currently grinding them like crazy in the hopes that they will actually covert into something useful.

Current List:
    Revolutionaries - Connected 313
    Bohemians - Connected 336
    Church - Connected 342
    Society - Connected 960

Sigh, knowing the past vicious conversion rates these will most likely only get me to around 25-28 renown. Ohhh welllll.

Have the previous Connections transferred over at equivalent rates or has it been different for each faction? I honestly wonder if Revolutionaries will be easier to get after the conversion, since the current card doesn't have a way to gain any and I find myself having to give public lectures to grind it up.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Every faction has converted a little different. The past conversions used a formula of Renown = (Connected-21)/X. X is a number made up by the Devs based on the average amount of "Connected" everyone has. So if it is really hard to grind it should be lower, and if it is easy (like Society) it is going to be higher. Generally, in the past it has been 5 or 6. It makes pregrinding harder since we never known exactly what number it will be.

Personally, I think they always pick a slightly higher number than they should because they want to keep their players occupied while they work on new stuff. Not a bad plan if you ask me, but it makes the "How much connected should I grind?" question always have an answer of "More than you think and more than you have."

As for Revolutionaries, it definitely might be a little easier after the conversion. I know the Great Game became leagues easier after it swapped. And if you are really struggling with grinding a certain faction, it is generally considered best policy to get the Connected Pet for that faction as it coughs up a favor every time you draw the card.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    Oh, I hadn't noticed they'd changed the way hosting a dinner for someone works

mildly entertaining minigame, that

• Options
    Ooooof. The conversion was pretty brutal. Bohemians and Church just got swapped.

342 Church converted to 22 renown.
    359 Bohemian converted to 28 renown.

Ah well. I am excited to find all of the new items that will be hidden around London and I have strong suspicions on where the level 40 renown items are going to be hidden. This will just give some extra fun things to do while I start the incredible madness that is Paramount Presence.

• Options
    tosoraktosorak Registered User regular
    It looks like the conversion put Favors up to 7 with both factions. But what items let us convert that to renown?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2017
    tosorak wrote: »
    It looks like the conversion put Favors up to 7 with both factions. But what items let us convert that to renown?

The Ornate Typewriter and Tiny Jewelled Reliquary, both of which are sold at Nicholas Pawnbrokers

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hm. The terms and conditions say that you can't make alt accounts to gain a "competitive advantage". Don't suppose anyone here knows whether making one to help deal with menaces and see paths you didn't take would count as that, or if they just mean like, don't make alts to influence the elections and that sort of thing?

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Hm. The terms and conditions say that you can't make alt accounts to gain a "competitive advantage". Don't suppose anyone here knows whether making one to help deal with menaces and see paths you didn't take would count as that, or if they just mean like, don't make alts to influence the elections and that sort of thing?

I'm hoping that's what they mean.

I mean I have no idea but I've run an alt and it wasn't a biggie. My guess is it's probably just there so if someone decides to be a real dingus and eat up tons of their bandwith with a zillion alts all doing social actions with each other they can be like "see this clause in the T&C?" and ban him

• Options
    In other Fallen London news, I have had a pair of Moods in my hand for a month now (I drew two on the same weekend!) but with both Watchful and Persuasive at 200, and Shadowy at 180something, and Dangerous at 171, I have no idea what to use them on. I almost never run into anything worse than low-risk challenges.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    In other Fallen London news, I have had a pair of Moods in my hand for a month now (I drew two on the same weekend!) but with both Watchful and Persuasive at 200, and Shadowy at 180something, and Dangerous at 171, I have no idea what to use them on. I almost never run into anything worse than low-risk challenges.
    Use them to boost some of your quirks? I'd been trying to have one on hand at all times for a while myself, but then when there was finally something I wanted to use it on I noticed that that was a thing they do, and I guess I'd just forgotten, so I think I'll probably be using them as soon as I get them from now on. (Well, almost as soon as I get them. My stats still range from 174 to 127, so I'll probably actually wait until I'm up to 20 actions and then use them, and then use the boost to grind resources or whatever.)

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    There's a pretty tacit understanding that Seekers may use an alt for infinite chess for a while, though if you're rich enough to start with that isn't as necessary.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Has anyone spoiled the seeker line yet? I still kind of want to check it but will probably never commit the time to it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    finally got the 40 renown constables item. now to getting myself off this slow boat...

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Fruits of the Zee festival confirmed to start on August 21st!

If it is your first time, there is nothing you need to hoard. You will get a ticket over to the lovely Mutton Island to participate in a real, traditional, folk festival.

Catch zee beats and turn them in for fabulous prizes!

Get a destiny with your friends there drownies!

Potentially tell Fedducci how much he sucks!

• Options
    trying to flip cards for stormy dreams

got really fed up with the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer vice cards and went back to a remote address

it's frankly kind of ridiculous how many vice cards there are and how much they goddamn clog up your draws

• Options
    Getting the austere check followed by the ruthless check while fishing during this festival gave me the pleasant mental image of my character sitting cross-legged on the boat with my arms folded and eyes closed while a column of water erupted out of the zee behind me.

• Options
    Wow, I shouldn't have put off this festival stuff, these rewards are really good.

• Options
    no new ones these year, though

last year you could get Sinning Jenny's Wimple

I wonder if we'll get to meet Fedduci during Hallowmas instead

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    AersienAersien Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Wow, I shouldn't have put off this festival stuff, these rewards are really good.
    Some of the rewards are interesting and I love that sinister small island cult feeling, but none of the items seem all that fantastic.

As a place to gather Uncanny Incanabula it's not bad, but the double randomness of fishing and then turning in strange catch is infuriating.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Does your Strange Catch value make any difference when turning it in to Mrs..er, the Hooded Woman?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It does. The higher it is, the better the possible reward. There's still randomness involved of course.

• Options
    I feel your pain. I am trying to grab the items on my alt and the rng is playing hell on it.

Basically, when you turn in a catch, let's say it ranked 8, the game will randomly remove between 0 and whatever the fuck it feels like from that score. So, if you are lucky you can get the highest value reward which is the submerged Rector. Or, it can keep knocking you down to the worst reward which is a fairly terrible watchful knife.

For me, I have the high and the low tiers of items but getting those in the middle is impossible. I am always either too low or too high.

I need those boots!

• Options
    It apparently subtracts a small amount from your strange catch to determine the value, at least according to the forums. I actually have the boots, the cape, and the rector, but can't get the knife of the effluvia. Hilariously I got the rector and the boots with a catch of 8, and the cape with a 10. RNGesus is kind of a jerk.

• Options
    Double bummer, Fedducci didn't even show up so I could yell at him. There are claims he is with some sort of paramour, but I think it is more likely that simply no one wanted him there.

That or he knew there were two quite pissed old ladies that might see how an immortal fares when chained up and dropped to the bottom of the zee. Or a well.

• Options
    Got a level 5 strange catch on my alt, so I was able to get a Destiny on it. Went with the same one as I did on my main. Would've been nice to see another one, but I didn't think to record it in my journal last time, so I repeated it so I could do it this time. Plus, I just quite liked that destiny so I kinda wanted it for my other character as well.

• Options
    Only destiny anyone should have is the slightly secret one, cuz it's the best.

• Options
    Which destiny did you get?

My main got theirs way back when I started so I basically picked one during Hallowmas at random. I will travel far far to the South and crack open the holy mountain so that we may slay death once and for all. I would give the gift of eternal life to all so that we step forward into a golden age of immortality.

*Those who purchased cider will not be able to return it. Not even for store credit.

• Options
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Which destiny did you get?
    Become one of the masters, see myself traveling towards the sun with them.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Well, it's finally happened. I was using the Fruits of the Zee festival to power my way through studying Correspondence Plaques at the University (which gives you +1CP SotC and like +2-5CP Wounds), studying till I bled and then running away to Mutton Island to fish and give my catch to the chef to heal my wounds.

But now I'm at Scholar of the Correspondence 17 and the check to raise it any higher has a minimum Watchful of 280, and my gear only gets me to 272.

I'm starting to have thoughts of goats. God help me.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    it took friggin' forever

espGvVQ.png

i was imagining a slightly more...dignified and stately entrance though

D50jYCm.png

• Options
    are you inside a dead god's head right now, @Orphane ? It's not letting me accept your chess invite.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    are you inside a dead god's head right now, Orphane ? It's not letting me accept your chess invite.

I think i might still be in the house of chimes

I still have a long ways to go before i get there

• Options
    qLHH2yF.png

• Options
    Awesome! Enjoy your new best in slot item.

Don't forget that to collect a level 40 renown reward that you also need to turn in an extra seven favors when you collect it. So make sure you have seven favors when you head to get the reward.

I, ahem, may have forgotten such things and needed to take a second trip to Newgate to rectify the mistake. Unfortunate.

This discussion has been closed.