Options

[chat] un Rendez-vous

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Don't you need to have Thor's magic ring to lift Mjolnir?

In the MU you have to be worth of it. So far that list is:

Thor
    Captain America
    Beta Ray Bill
    Storm

I thought storm only had the knockoff hammer Loki had forged up out of uru though.

She did. But then she used Mjolnir to destroy it.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    My thoughts on this otherkin stuff: they are to trans people as gay marriage is to beastiality. IE: Not at all related to each other. Regardless of your opinion of otherkin, it is not comparable to being transgender because they are two totally seperate things.

And yes, I am sure there are trans otherkins as well. :P

Oh, PS: this post was not meant to imply beastiality and otherkins are the same either.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Thor, you'll be a woman soon,
    Please, come take my hand,
    Thor, you'll be a woman soon,
    Soon, you'll need Mjölnir.

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/marvels-thor-now-woman-comics-studio-announces-152500532.html

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Don't think I care for the idea of just calling some female "Thor". I mean, they gave Storm a hammer and a Thor outfit when the X-Men went to Asgard many many years ago. But they didn't say she was "Thor". She was to be the new god of thunder.

Thor is the guy's name. And you may wield the power of Thor. But you're not Thor. It simply doesn't fit as a mantle IMO.

Eh, some others have picked up the mantle in the past. Donald Blake and Eric Masterson in particular come to mind. If it's easier to wrap your mind around, assume Thor is Swedish for "Wielder of Mjolnir." rather then the Bork, bork, bork it would actually translate to.

I always thought those fella like actually became Thor though. Like they no longer were their own personalities. I could be wrong there though. Just hung up on that proper name thing. Like, if he was just "Thunder God" it wouldn't even phase me.

I actually like mantle characters most of the time. As long as they don't take a long standing character with their own solid identity and drop them under a mantle. It would piss me off to no end if they took someone like Storm, gave her his outfit, a hammer,a wing hat and said she was now Thor. That would suck.

Um...they did when the X-men went to Asgard. Both men kept their identities but Thor was observing the world through them. Like a mystical parasite. Leeching off that humility.

They didn't say she was "Thor" though. She was still Storm. She just had new powers.

gmhvqovw7jxi.jpg

Maybe its thin line. But she didn't lose her identity as Storm ya'know. She didn't abandon that to become Thor. I feel like there is a difference there.

edit: Those were great comics by the way. Probably my favorite annuals of X-Men and New Mutants I'd ever read.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So how about that shitty day on the east and gulf coasts lol

2yo8iv9.jpg

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Don't think I care for the idea of just calling some female "Thor". I mean, they gave Storm a hammer and a Thor outfit when the X-Men went to Asgard many many years ago. But they didn't say she was "Thor". She was to be the new god of thunder.

Thor is the guy's name. And you may wield the power of Thor. But you're not Thor. It simply doesn't fit as a mantle IMO.

Eh, some others have picked up the mantle in the past. Donald Blake and Eric Masterson in particular come to mind. If it's easier to wrap your mind around, assume Thor is Swedish for "Wielder of Mjolnir." rather then the Bork, bork, bork it would actually translate to.

I always thought those fella like actually became Thor though. Like they no longer were their own personalities. I could be wrong there though. Just hung up on that proper name thing. Like, if he was just "Thunder God" it wouldn't even phase me.

I actually like mantle characters most of the time. As long as they don't take a long standing character with their own solid identity and drop them under a mantle. It would piss me off to no end if they took someone like Storm, gave her his outfit, a hammer,a wing hat and said she was now Thor. That would suck.

Um...they did when the X-men went to Asgard. Both men kept their identities but Thor was observing the world through them. Like a mystical parasite. Leeching off that humility.

They didn't say she was "Thor" though. She was still Storm. She just had new powers.

gmhvqovw7jxi.jpg

Maybe its thin line. But she didn't lose her identity as Storm ya'know. She didn't abandon that to become Thor. I feel like there is a difference there.

edit: Those were great comics by the way. Probably my favorite annuals of X-Men and New Mutants I'd ever read.

Eric Masterson used the Thor name for a while before switching to Thunderstrike after getting his own hammer.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, it'd be fucking cool as shit if there were dragons and faeries and unicorns and it turned out that the Dresden Files was reality, but until I see some evidence, I ain't calling you Glaurung.

So Ludious. How do you feel about people who claim to be Trans-racial? This is a thing. Hey, black people are real and I am one of them even though I was racially assigned white.

You ready to jump on that band wagon?

Given races are social constructs while biological sex is a physical reality (granted gender is at the very least partially a social construct) that doesn't actually seem substantially different tbh.

My position is generally that "otherkin" and such are silly but they can do what they want. I can nod politely when I can't avoid them. I also accept that trans individuals honestly believe their physical sex and gender don't match and will show basic humanity by treating them as their preferred gender ... which by and large shouldn't be that different from how I'd treat them otherwise. Its not like we typically as a society do the "hold the door" thing any more. We should be treating each other the same in social circumstances as much as possibly anyway.

Where I differ from most of [chat] is I'm not willing to go the whole way. I think laws that differentiate between males and females are generally either 1) unjust remainders of old prejudice that should be removed 2) affirmative action designed to create a more diverse environment in regard to men/women or reduce inequality as it regards to men/women (STEM fields for instance) and/or 3) based on biological differences between men and women (the existence of women's athletics for instance). Since I'm unwilling to maintain a social stigma to act as a deterrent or set up purity tests to see if someone is "really" trans or just gaming the system, I don't support completely removing the distinction. #1 should be removed, #2 its debatable and #3 is conflating gender and sex.

My family had a wedding between two lesbians over the w/e. One wore a dress and walked down the aisle to meet her wife, who wore a suit. My 80 year old aunt (one bride's grandmother) didn't bat an eye because in this day and age its not that weird. The bride's sister (my other cousin) is also a lesbian, but is more traditionally "butch". She is a volunteer fire fighter and part of the National Guard would not qualify if she had to meet male physical fitness requirements (she says she is close now though). (She is also a pre-school teacher because stereotypes don't cover everything). Now maybe we shouldn't have fitness requirements for men and women in the NG, but I think if we have them it should refer to biological sex.

That would leave a legal distinction between biological male identifying females and biological females who also identify as female. I think that's a reasonable debate to have but ::Shrug::

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

gmhvqovw7jxi.jpg

o shit i had those when i was a kid

are those the same ones where some wizard turned NYC into medieval times and, like, captain america was kicking around with them?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bsm95txIEAE2_de.png:large

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am convinced at least one of my dogs thinks it is people.

Transpeciesism

my second oldest dog, (the one in the video lud posted), sleeps under a blanket at the foot of my bed every day. he makes noises at me until i lift the blanket for him to go under. his name is buddy but i call my dogs a bunch of variations on their names so its kind of confusing telling people our dogs names.

buddy sits like people sometimes and wants me to hold him like a baby when i'm walking around the house. he's such a fucking spoiled baby lol

he gets insanely jealous if the oldest dog (honey) gets attention but knows better than to show jealousy when the smallest dog (zeus) gets attention because he will fuck buddy up even if he is a lot smaller.

honey and zeus are a lot more independent and dont eat up that baby shit the way buddy does. they are happy with just normal dog pets and tummy rubs. buddy is all "why aren't you holding me? give me my bedtime snack and tuck me in under my blanket!" he's a high maintenance little princess.

sorry, i like talking about my dogs.

look-at-my-kids.gif

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options

Thor
    Captain America
    Beta Ray Bill
    Storm

Don't forget Frog Thor.
    tumblr_m6p6felvYP1rxv3mao1_500.jpg

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    My soul is from Alabama

southerkin
    we must be cousins.

......kissing cousins?

LOL

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    But if you call me Ludious you know that that's not my real name, and I know that that's not my real name. You are not reinforcing a delusion.

If I call Glaurung Glaurung, I am reinforcing that he is indeed the father of all dragons, which would be a moot point BECAUSE IF HE WAS THE FATHER OF ALL DRAGONS HE COULD MANIPULATE MY PUNY MORTAL MIND TO BELIEVE WHATEVER HE WANTED JESUS DID YOU EVEN READ THE CHILDREN OF HURIN

So, wait, do you prefer being called by your real name or by your gamer persona name?

In person I prefer to be called by my real name but I also don't really care because I know it's a hard habit to break.

When you were in NY, I dont think you called me by my real name, ONCE.
    Somehow you managed to call my wife by her real name all the time!

• Options
    We constantly strive to provide the best service to our customers. We previously informed you that we therefore waive the monthly service fee for all non-business customers for the first 12 months of inactivity. Since this time period has now passed your account will be charged with 1 EUR on 25/07/2014. This is in accordance with our fee schedule that can be accessed at any time on the Skrill website. Start using your Skrill account today and you will again be entitled to the waiver and can continue to use our service for free.

Who the hell do they think they are? An American bank?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

gmhvqovw7jxi.jpg

are those the same ones where some wizard turned NYC into medieval times and, like, captain america was kicking around with them?

No, that was a different cross over. Where there was a bubble over NYC and anything inside was medieval style. Except Spider-man, who alone didn't change. That was a wild story too.

The pic above came from a crossover of X-Books annuals.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Thor
    Captain America
    Beta Ray Bill
    Storm

Don't forget Frog Thor.
    tumblr_m6p6felvYP1rxv3mao1_500.jpg

Frog Thor was Loki having some fun. But there is a spin off character who has his own hammer as a joke.

• Options
    So how about that shitty day on the east and gulf coasts lol

2yo8iv9.jpg
    it was pretty loud out there a bit ago. quiet now though.

• Options
    And Wonder Woman picked up Thor's hammer in the Marve DC crossover in the 90s.
    2406828820_d6bd889687.jpg

In a battle to determine the fate of the universe, her opponent was Storm.

Wonder Woman lost that fight.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    When I met Skippy I carefully refrained from ever actually talking to him, so that I wouldn't have to choose between calling him his internet name or his real name.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    We constantly strive to provide the best service to our customers. We previously informed you that we therefore waive the monthly service fee for all non-business customers for the first 12 months of inactivity. Since this time period has now passed your account will be charged with 1 EUR on 25/07/2014. This is in accordance with our fee schedule that can be accessed at any time on the Skrill website. Start using your Skrill account today and you will again be entitled to the waiver and can continue to use our service for free.

is there a 25th month in the metric system?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Look, people believe false things all the time.

Like, right now, I more than likely have some false beliefs. It's a side effect of not being omniscient.

So if someone really earnestly believes that they are a Dragon, then that's fine. As long as that belief doesn't hurt anyone, I don't care...

But them believing that they are a Dragon doesn't mean that they are a Dragon. Just means that they believe something false. No biggy.

but that's exactly the point i was trying to make i think.

we good liberal-minded people accept transgenderism and have trans friends and use the right pronouns and support legal rights etc.

and we ask those who don't accept that transgenderism is an actual thing to just be tolerant and indulgent even if they don't believe or accept that a translady is a real actuallady.

i.e., we demand a legal and social framework in which people have the basic right of identity self-determination.

and i have no idea whether furries are a product of disney movies or otherkin are an internet fad for sad kids or transracial people will be only as long-lived as tumblr or whatever, but the trend has been that people are increasingly demanding broader respect and acceptance of their identity or lifestyle assertions. i don't think they'll just go away after transgender is normalized

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Thor
    Captain America
    Beta Ray Bill
    Storm

I thought storm only had the knockoff hammer Loki had forged up out of uru though.

She did. But then she used Mjolnir to destroy it.

Somewhere I have an ancient TPB copy of that and need to reread it. I just remember the Mohawk falcon situation.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    And Wonder Woman picked up Thor's hammer in the Marve DC crossover in the 90s.
    2406828820_d6bd889687.jpg

In a battle to determine the fate of the universe, her opponent was Storm.

Wonder Woman lost that fight.

As a community we've agreed to forget the Avengers/JLA crossover happened. Also everything that came after.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Deez nerds and their terrible job offers.

"Bonus points if you like badgers".

I was genuinely considering working for you before that sentence.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    When I met Skippy I carefully refrained from ever actually talking to him, so that I wouldn't have to choose between calling him his internet name or his real name.

hearing people call each other by their forum names out walking around in boston was one of my favorite things about the PAX trip.

HEY SKIPPY! WHERE IS PUPPIES? OH HI PUPPIES!

ChelleYeah on

• Options
    Oh man those fusion characters of DC & Marvel that came out of that were so bad.

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

is there a 25th month in the metric system?

GCV2v6n.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2014

gmhvqovw7jxi.jpg

No, that was a different cross over. Where there was a bubble over NYC and anything inside was medieval style. Except Spider-man, who alone didn't change. That was a wild story too.

The pic above came from a crossover of X-Books annuals.

i am pretty sure i had both - the asgard one had some subplot where one of the xmen was turned into an elf or faerie and was bound by cold iron iirc

god damn it's been 30 years since i read those books.

edit: also someone i think cannonball got a mythral armor shirt and it made weapons pass thru him i think?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

We're a fun place to work for.
    We're not like those suits, mmmmaaaaaaaannnnnnnn

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Those are the fucking worst.

AWESOME JOB FOR COOL DUDES IN A NEATO FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT.
    LOOKING FOR ROCKSTAR NINJA CODERS ONLY.
    GURU IN C++ REQUIRED, MYSQL BLACK BELT A PLUS.
    DRESS CODE IS CLOTHES ARE OPTIONAL BECAUSE WE ARE QUIRKY TECH PEOPLE LOL

• Options
    Oh man those fusion characters of DC & Marvel that came out of that were so bad.

Spider-Man/Superboy was kinda radical. In a 90s sort of way.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

And that's before you count furry friday

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Deebaser wrote: »

"you ok if we wait till next friday to pay you? we're low right now but i swear we'll have the money then!"

ChelleYeah on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Look, people believe false things all the time.

Like, right now, I more than likely have some false beliefs. It's a side effect of not being omniscient.

So if someone really earnestly believes that they are a Dragon, then that's fine. As long as that belief doesn't hurt anyone, I don't care...

But them believing that they are a Dragon doesn't mean that they are a Dragon. Just means that they believe something false. No biggy.

but that's exactly the point i was trying to make i think.

we good liberal-minded people accept transgenderism and have trans friends and use the right pronouns and support legal rights etc.

and we ask those who don't accept that transgenderism is an actual thing to just be tolerant and indulgent even if they don't believe or accept that a translady is a real actuallady.

i.e., we demand a legal and social framework in which people have the basic right of identity self-determination.

and i have no idea whether furries are a product of disney movies or otherkin are an internet fad for sad kids or transracial people will be only as long-lived as tumblr or whatever, but the trend has been that people are increasingly demanding broader respect and acceptance of their identity or lifestyle assertions. i don't think they'll just go away after transgender is normalized

And even if transgendered being normalized is absolutely what should happen (and it is), at what point on the march towards "freedom to be" do we collectively say "nope that is a mental illness or a cry for attention and not a real thing?" Your answer to that question you will find is answered more by feelings than facts most of the time, and that kind of sucks.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Skrill huh

You should become a Skrill-ex and drop them

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I don't understand trans-racial.

Like, at all.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

Skrill huh

You should become a Skrill-ex and drop them

noice

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    21st aren't you like a giant nerd who does nerdy things that you would like to turn into a way to fund your nerdom

take jerb

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I mean, their whole job offer was amateurish, gives no concrete abilities or certs you need, just "We nee a cool person to be administrative assistant. You gotta be dynamic and like video games."

I wish i had more experience in hiring... then I could school them.

BUTT ALASS

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I mean, their whole job offer was amateurish, gives no concrete abilities or certs you need, just "We nee a cool person to be administrative assistant. You gotta be dynamic and like video games."

I wish i had more experience in hiring... then I could school them.

BUTT ALASS

u should just go for it bro

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.