Options

[chat] un Rendez-vous

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    When I met Skippy I carefully refrained from ever actually talking to him, so that I wouldn't have to choose between calling him his internet name or his real name.

hearing people call each other by their forum names out walking around in boston was one of my favorite things about the PAX trip.

HEY SKIPPY! WHERE IS PUPPIES? OH HI PUPPIES!

i work so hard to avoid using internet names in real life

it kills me when i forget someone's for real name and am forced into fake name

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    21st aren't you like a giant nerd who does nerdy things that you would like to turn into a way to fund your nerdom

take jerb

Honestly, I don't really want to be a secretary...

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i will still send my resume because beggars can't be choosas... you guys are right.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »

I agree with Mildred.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    21st aren't you like a giant nerd who does nerdy things that you would like to turn into a way to fund your nerdom

take jerb

Honestly, I don't really want to be a secretary...

so that's a woman's job, is what you're saying. Well.

10 demerits.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Look, people believe false things all the time.

Like, right now, I more than likely have some false beliefs. It's a side effect of not being omniscient.

So if someone really earnestly believes that they are a Dragon, then that's fine. As long as that belief doesn't hurt anyone, I don't care...

But them believing that they are a Dragon doesn't mean that they are a Dragon. Just means that they believe something false. No biggy.

but that's exactly the point i was trying to make i think.

we good liberal-minded people accept transgenderism and have trans friends and use the right pronouns and support legal rights etc.

and we ask those who don't accept that transgenderism is an actual thing to just be tolerant and indulgent even if they don't believe or accept that a translady is a real actuallady.

i.e., we demand a legal and social framework in which people have the basic right of identity self-determination.

and i have no idea whether furries are a product of disney movies or otherkin are an internet fad for sad kids or transracial people will be only as long-lived as tumblr or whatever, but the trend has been that people are increasingly demanding broader respect and acceptance of their identity or lifestyle assertions. i don't think they'll just go away after transgender is normalized

And even if transgendered being normalized is absolutely what should happen (and it is), at what point on the march towards "freedom to be" do we collectively say "nope that is a mental illness or a cry for attention and not a real thing?" Your answer to that question you will find is answered more by feelings than facts most of the time, and that kind of sucks.

I feel like a pretty solid line can be drawn at "real things that a sentient".

A human being can be born male, but be female. I'm okay with that.

A human being can be born human, but believe they are a dragon. That, I'm less okay with.

Would you say that opinion is based on feeling more than fact?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »

I agree with Mildred.

Mildred Irond Jr.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    I mean, their whole job offer was amateurish, gives no concrete abilities or certs you need, just "We nee a cool person to be administrative assistant. You gotta be dynamic and like video games."

I wish i had more experience in hiring... then I could school them.

BUTT ALASS
    i dont know, it seems pretty straight forward to me.

they want a bitch boy.

but it has to be a fellow gamer b/c hiring someone who's "cool" is more important than just hiring someone who is qualified.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

I agree with Wildred.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    neat you can make rull small text by nesting size 0 tags

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I don't understand trans-racial.

Like, at all.

When people are sincere about it, it's them identifying with a cultural stereotype and not realizing that race is almost entirely external, how people perceive you.

So people are like "Hey, I really like rap music and I'm more comfortable with black people than white people, I guess I'm basically black."

Never mind that they would never have to walk the streets afraid some random racist WASP is going to feel threatened and pull a gun for no reason, they (probably) don't have to worry cops are going to find bullshit excuses to frisk them or search their cars, etc.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Like, right now, I more than likely have some false beliefs. It's a side effect of not being omniscient.

So if someone really earnestly believes that they are a Dragon, then that's fine. As long as that belief doesn't hurt anyone, I don't care...

But them believing that they are a Dragon doesn't mean that they are a Dragon. Just means that they believe something false. No biggy.

we good liberal-minded people accept transgenderism and have trans friends and use the right pronouns and support legal rights etc.

and we ask those who don't accept that transgenderism is an actual thing to just be tolerant and indulgent even if they don't believe or accept that a translady is a real actuallady.

i.e., we demand a legal and social framework in which people have the basic right of identity self-determination.

and i have no idea whether furries are a product of disney movies or otherkin are an internet fad for sad kids or transracial people will be only as long-lived as tumblr or whatever, but the trend has been that people are increasingly demanding broader respect and acceptance of their identity or lifestyle assertions. i don't think they'll just go away after transgender is normalized

And even if transgendered being normalized is absolutely what should happen (and it is), at what point on the march towards "freedom to be" do we collectively say "nope that is a mental illness or a cry for attention and not a real thing?" Your answer to that question you will find is answered more by feelings than facts most of the time, and that kind of sucks.

A human being can be born human, but believe they are a dragon. That, I'm less okay with.

Do you not believe that I'm a dragon :(

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I have more than once pulled Chelle aside and asked what Ludious's real name is.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Deez nerds and their terrible job offers.

"Bonus points if you like badgers".

I was genuinely considering working for you before that sentence.

Those are the fucking worst.

AWESOME JOB FOR COOL DUDES IN A NEATO FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT.
    LOOKING FOR ROCKSTAR NINJA CODERS ONLY.
    GURU IN C++ REQUIRED, MYSQL BLACK BELT A PLUS.
    DRESS CODE IS CLOTHES ARE OPTIONAL BECAUSE WE ARE QUIRKY TECH PEOPLE LOL

Compensation: 40k, 60-hour weeks, and the owners only pay it begrudgingly.
    Prospects:
    Worst case, owners sell the company in a year and you're out on your ass while they make money hats.
    Best case, company is bankrupt in a year and you're all out on your asses.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    When I met Skippy I carefully refrained from ever actually talking to him, so that I wouldn't have to choose between calling him his internet name or his real name.

lots of people have called me skippy IRL

it must be a fitting handle idk

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

no you are a sloth

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    neat you can make rull small big text by nesting size 7 tags

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    layoffz layoffz layoffz rite

poo
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

no you are a sloth

i know for a FACT that you are not a gorilla

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Per 90s talk earlier:

I am at lunch and the radio has played, in quick succession,

- "All That She Wants"
    - "It's All For You"
    - "Mr. Jones"

ffffffffffffffffffffff

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

Oh that's cool.

Can you likewise nest size=6s?

Hmm

• Options

hearing people call each other by their forum names out walking around in boston was one of my favorite things about the PAX trip.

HEY SKIPPY! WHERE IS PUPPIES? OH HI PUPPIES!

i work so hard to avoid using internet names in real life

I was like 50/50 in Boston. For some (like you and simon) it was easy. mya and a few others I had met before and were friends with on facebook so I had time to get them stuck in my head. But I'm awful at names. The only new name I remember from this year is Smrtnik because his name is awesome.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I mean, their whole job offer was amateurish, gives no concrete abilities or certs you need, just "We nee a cool person to be administrative assistant. You gotta be dynamic and like video games."

BUTT ALASS

No offense, but that job isn't going to be hard or need much in the way of abilities and certs. Can you use a computer? Do you like video games? that's about it. Sure, it will be thankless, but they're not going to be like, "tell me how to beat the last boss in Super Mario 3 or you aren't a real nerd."

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    /shrug

Forum handles are like nicknames. I don't find it too weird to call folks by that if that's what you're used to. I still have a buddy from highschool who to this day calls me "Pencil" (My nickname in highschool was Pencilman) and I call him "Sakana" (His nickname).

I'll still try to call folks by their real names when I can. But otherwise I don't think its a big deal if you're rocking a nickname or handle.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Deez nerds and their terrible job offers.

"Bonus points if you like badgers".

I was genuinely considering working for you before that sentence.

Those are the fucking worst.

AWESOME JOB FOR COOL DUDES IN A NEATO FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT.
    LOOKING FOR ROCKSTAR NINJA CODERS ONLY.
    GURU IN C++ REQUIRED, MYSQL BLACK BELT A PLUS.
    DRESS CODE IS CLOTHES ARE OPTIONAL BECAUSE WE ARE QUIRKY TECH PEOPLE LOL

Compensation: 40k, 60-hour weeks, and the owners only pay it begrudgingly.
    Prospects:
    Worst case, owners sell the company in a year and you're out on your ass while they make money hats.
    Best case, company is bankrupt in a year and you're all out on your asses.

That's okay, though, because they throw in buzzwords like "BIG DATA" and therefore are awesome and trendy and with it.

Worst case is really that they you continue working for 60 hour weeks while the owner pays you solely in company stock sharing, and then it goes under anyway.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    I have more than once pulled Chelle aside and asked what Ludious's real name is.

and i will say again, you can call him ass face!

i do!

• Options
    As far a social discourse is concerned, the "War on Women" is becoming more of a myth while the War on Men is reality. Why is it that since women characters can't compete with their male counterparts, women have to leech on to the male characters in order to be successful? There's already been "Thor Girl" and that didn’t do very well. Lady Sif had her run and those sales were dismal. Does making Thor a woman really lend credibility to gender neutrality? No. This is caving in to political correctness that treats the male gender with contempt. There is no valid reason to make Thor a woman other than all women characters modeled after Thor have failed. So making Thor a woman will compensate for those previous failures. Why not make Wonder Woman a man? Oh wait, that would be sexist.

leeches, man

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    OH GOD NOW IT'S THAT ONE SANTANA SONG.

I AM SO SORRY ACE OF BASE PLS COME BACK

• Options
    As far a social discourse is concerned, the "War on Women" is becoming more of a myth while the War on Men is reality. Why is it that since women characters can't compete with their male counterparts, women have to leech on to the male characters in order to be successful? There's already been "Thor Girl" and that didn’t do very well. Lady Sif had her run and those sales were dismal. Does making Thor a woman really lend credibility to gender neutrality? No. This is caving in to political correctness that treats the male gender with contempt. There is no valid reason to make Thor a woman other than all women characters modeled after Thor have failed. So making Thor a woman will compensate for those previous failures. Why not make Wonder Woman a man? Oh wait, that would be sexist.

leeches, man

why not make wonder woman a man

• Options

BUTT ALASS
    i dont know, it seems pretty straight forward to me.

they want a bitch boy.

but it has to be a fellow gamer b/c hiring someone who's "cool" is more important than just hiring someone who is qualified.

but in all seriousness i think its worth at least applying for. applying for a job doesnt cost you anything but the time spent looking in to it.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Dishwalla in 3...2...1...

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    A lot of my old frat bros still call me by my brother name, and it's super galling.

I wouldn't mind people calling me "Solo" in real life, because even though it's a dumb name, at least I got to choose it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

On that note, today I read that whatshisface that one guy in Ace of Base got evicted.

The article referred to him as the "pop superstar".

Well, maybe 20 years ago. 8->

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

such is the way of the world

embrace it!

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Still better than los lonely boys.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

lots of people have called me skippy IRL

it must be a fitting handle idk

"That's Dumplesworth to you."

• Options

Dishwalla in 3...2...1...

I get knocked down
    but I get up again

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

leeches, man

why not make wonder woman a man

why not make wonder woman a bread

wondershot.png

WHAT HAVE THESE CARELESS HANDS WROUGHT?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Like, at all.

When people are sincere about it, it's them identifying with a cultural stereotype and not realizing that race is almost entirely external, how people perceive you.

So people are like "Hey, I really like rap music and I'm more comfortable with black people than white people, I guess I'm basically black."

Never mind that they would never have to walk the streets afraid some random racist WASP is going to feel threatened and pull a gun for no reason, they (probably) don't have to worry cops are going to find bullshit excuses to frisk them or search their cars, etc.

Oh yeah? Well what if they had some sort of Melanin treatments to change their skin pigment? What then Mr. Cispants! It would be just like gender re-assignment surgery!

I shit you not. This was a real thing brought up.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Like, at all.

??

This doesn't sound right. Trans-anything takes discipline and commitment to get things right, not a dipping of the toe to test the waters.

This discussion has been closed.