As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Guys, maybe Nick's just trying to stretch out the new episodes so the finale will coincide with Platinum's game being released, and that will come as a big announcement at SDCC this weekend.

Yeah, I know, that would require forethought which doesn't seem to be their strong suit.
    I can hope though, right?

Don't take away my hope.
    tumblr_m63fdoWrVE1qe1sye.gif

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Quid wrote: »
    They have a Comic con panel this Friday with hopefully some answers.

hopefully good answers. (probably bad answers)

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I just hope they don't cancel the game.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    That is so weird, how does a show that popular have ratings that low?

It's like if Adventure Time were somehow in the shitter.

Demographics, delayed viewing. Same issue that plagued TLA. Nick wants to sell ad space to toy companies and high fructose corn syrup child diabetes peddlers that appeals to their main audience (kiddies) and their indulgent parents. They want to sell cheap merch hand over fist to a demographic unconcerned with structured narrative. Because they're kids.

Then you have this show attracting a bunch of 18-34 year olds who are a) not targeted by the advertisers and b) more likely to take advantage of time-shifting technology (DVRs, digital distribution channels like Hulu). Even if these people (us) pay for content, we're a black hole in the advertiser's eyes and therefore the ad space prices for less.

As far as a media exec is concerned, we can all suck a dick. Mad Men this show is not--it doesn't attract sophisticated awards (like, where would it even?) and critics aren't praising it to the heavens. It's small, it's cult, and it's not enough to overcome low ratings to avoid being the studio's punching bag.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm hopeful they're just stretching it out now. Hour long viewings have been great and all but it would not be unreasonable to want to switch back to half hour viewings.

• Options
    That or throwing it all up on Nick are the only reasonable things I can envision.

There's nothing else beyond asshattery.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Demographics, delayed viewing. Same issue that plagued TLA. Nick wants to sell ad space to toy companies and high fructose corn syrup child diabetes peddlers that appeals to their main audience (kiddies) and their indulgent parents. They want to sell cheap merch hand over fist to a demographic unconcerned with structured narrative. Because they're kids.

Then you have this show attracting a bunch of 18-34 year olds who are a) not targeted by the advertisers and b) more likely to take advantage of time-shifting technology (DVRs, digital distribution channels like Hulu). Even if these people (us) pay for content, we're a black hole in the advertiser's eyes and therefore the ad space prices for less.

As far as a media exec is concerned, we can all suck a dick. Mad Men this show is not--it doesn't attract sophisticated awards (like, where would it even?) and critics aren't praising it to the heavens. It's small, it's cult, and it's not enough to overcome low ratings to avoid being the studio's punching bag.

What I don't understand is how any of this is surprising to anyone at Nick. Like, this is how the show has been since TLA. If it's such a black hole of wasted ad dollars, why do they keep requesting new seasons?

"Oh, last year we put it on air and surrounded it with ads for Magic Bead Makers and Lucky Charms and that didn't work so well. Maybe this year we should try something different, like surrounding it with ads for Magic Bead Makers and Lucky Charms."

I guess a world where actually watching the show is a pain in the ass is preferable to a world where the show just never got made at all, but this is unbelievably frustrating.

I can only imagine Nickelodeon is run like an episode of Hogan's Heroes, with the creative team covertly producing Korra episodes and disguising them in increasingly implausible ways from the bumbling executive placed in charge.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nick's really screwed the pooch on this entire thing. First the uploading of some episodes in South America, then the running of Season 3 episodes with practically no advance warning (or re-broadcasts) and there still aren't any episodes up on Nick's website.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Can we call it 'executive sabotage' yet? Because this sequence of events surrounding the handling of this season are seeming less like coincidences and more like someone actively trying to bury the show.

I still believe that it's because some of them thought an action cartoon with a female protagonist wouldn't be popular. Season 1 proved them wrong, and now want to hurt the show to protect their pride.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Except we're not. As antiquated as it may be, the 18-34 viewers are still the prized advertising demographic on almost every other network save Cartoon Network and Disney (who doesn't really show ads anyway). It's not hard to sell ads targeting us, and they pay just as well as the ones they show normally. Given Korra's viewerships nerdy predilections, it's not hard to sell us toys either, just make them collectible statues instead of action figures and we'll buy them.

These aren't hard things to do, and they will surely get better results than what they are doing now by jerking the show around.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

What I don't understand is how any of this is surprising to anyone at Nick. Like, this is how the show has been since TLA. If it's such a black hole of wasted ad dollars, why do they keep requesting new seasons?

"Oh, last year we put it on air and surrounded it with ads for Magic Bead Makers and Lucky Charms and that didn't work so well. Maybe this year we should try something different, like surrounding it with ads for Magic Bead Makers and Lucky Charms."

I guess a world where actually watching the show is a pain in the ass is preferable to a world where the show just never got made at all, but this is unbelievably frustrating.

I can only imagine Nickelodeon is run like an episode of Hogan's Heroes, with the creative team covertly producing Korra episodes and disguising them in increasingly implausible ways from the bumbling executive placed in charge.

I think part of it is they got themselves locked into this deal and are trying to figure out how to make it work. Technically there are only 2 seasons of Legend of Korra. Both were ordered before the first episode aired and for 26 episodes a piece, which is evidently Nick standard. The creators just divided them up the way they did to better fit the original theme of a mini series, and to be able to leave out filler episodes.

So my guess is they have been trying to find a way to make this work. The ad dollars were likely not there for Saturday morning because the ratings in the demographic they needed weren't there in large enough numbers. They just haven't been there at all since, and quite probably someone at the network is trying to kill it off so they can refocus on shit like Spongebob. If there were a cheap way to break the contract it likely would have happened, but contracts can be tricky that way. I am still hoping there is a chance for Cartoon Network to pick the series up, but I don't think it's going to happen.

• Options
    I'd say Cartoon Network does care about 18-34, they just don't mind segregating them in to their own time block.

And honestly an Adult Swim Avatar would likely be something amazing to behold given they originally toned it down a bit for Nick.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I think part of it is they got themselves locked into this deal and are trying to figure out how to make it work. Technically there are only 2 seasons of Legend of Korra. Both were ordered before the first episode aired and for 26 episodes a piece, which is evidently Nick standard. The creators just divided them up the way they did to better fit the original theme of a mini series, and to be able to leave out filler episodes.

So my guess is they have been trying to find a way to make this work. The ad dollars were likely not there for Saturday morning because the ratings in the demographic they needed weren't there in large enough numbers. They just haven't been there at all since, and quite probably someone at the network is trying to kill it off so they can refocus on shit like Spongebob. If there were a cheap way to break the contract it likely would have happened, but contracts can be tricky that way. I am still hoping there is a chance for Cartoon Network to pick the series up, but I don't think it's going to happen.

That...would not be better.

The DCAU block says hi.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I'd say Cartoon Network does care about 18-34, they just don't mind segregating them in to their own time block.

And honestly an Adult Swim Avatar would likely be something amazing to behold given they originally toned it down a bit for Nick.

I could see Avatar working on Toonami. They show shit like Naruto and One Piece, which appeals to similar demographics.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I would sell my kidneys* for an AS Avatar.

*I would sell a Nickelodeon Executive's kidneys for an AS Avatar

• Options
    But we don't buy shitty toys. So if they want a show that can push a line of cheaply-made merchandise on an undiscerning public, Korra ain't it.

They tried giving us shitty toys for TLA, and apparently they didn't sell very well. Because they were shitty. Then they gave us toys from that war crime of a movie they made, which nobody bought because nobody wants to buy action figures commemorating a war crime.*

(*Battle-Action Space Hitler was the worst action figure ever. Though Ninja Goebbels with Kung Fu Grip was admittedly cool.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

Except we're not. As antiquated as it may be, the 18-34 viewers are still the prized advertising demographic on almost every other network save Cartoon Network and Disney (who doesn't really show ads anyway). It's not hard to sell ads targeting us, and they pay just as well as the ones they show normally. Given Korra's viewerships nerdy predilections, it's not hard to sell us toys either, just make them collectible statues instead of action figures and we'll buy them.

These aren't hard things to do, and they will surely get better results than what they are doing now by jerking the show around.
    I know we like to think we're oh so desirable because we have autonomy and purchasing power, but we're not. Appealing to our eyeballs and our dollars requires creativity and effort on the part of Nick's advertising sales team, marketing team, and merch team that they don't have to do for any other show. Doing things differently that whatever formula they have going for their heavy hitters means more resources, means more risk, means more than they're evidently willing to do to make their investment bring solid returns.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    I am pretty sure Nickelodeon owns the rights to anything in the A:TLA universe and even if they are trying to kill it off they aren't going to sell the rights to someone else so they can make money with it.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Nick's really screwed the pooch on this entire thing. First the uploading of some episodes in South America, then the running of Season 3 episodes with practically no advance warning (or re-broadcasts) and there still aren't any episodes up on Nick's website.

Wait, what? I live in South America, where are they uploading some episodes? I just checked the site and the latest episode is The Harmonic Convergence, which is episode 20 of the second season.

Just checked out the Latin American Spanish dub. I think Korra's voice is the only good one.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    RockinX wrote: »

Wait, what? I live in South America, where are they uploading some episodes? I just checked the site and the latest episode is The Harmonic Convergence, which is episode 20 of the second season.

Just checked out the Latin American Spanish dub. I think Korra's voice is the only good one.

There was a snafu a couple of weeks before Season 3 aired where episodes 3-6 of Season 3 were uploaded instead of episodes from Season 2 to the Spanish-language Nickelodeon website. It's kind of what prompted them airing it before they were obviously thinking about doing it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    I am pretty sure Nickelodeon owns the rights to anything in the A:TLA universe and even if they are trying to kill it off they aren't going to sell the rights to someone else so they can make money with it.

True. Executives would rather have no money than some of it, if they can't have all of it

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    RockinX wrote: »

There was a snafu a couple of weeks before Season 3 aired where episodes 3-6 of Season 3 were uploaded instead of episodes from Season 2 to the Spanish-language Nickelodeon website. It's kind of what prompted them airing it before they were obviously thinking about doing it.
    Maybe it was the Spanish from Spain dub? We are never treated that well, and I can't quite find anything beyond episode 20.

Although I checked the Spanish, and Korra isn't even listed.

RockinX on
  • Options
    They weren't meant to be uploaded in the first place.

• Options

If I remember correctly last time it came up someone figured out they own everything about Last Airbender but not the universe in general. I'd imagine Korra's in a similar situation.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Since apparently nobody told you guys here in D&D...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Oh thank Toph.

• Options
    I hope this means season three is going to be added to prime. I'm not going to pay and reward Nick for this bullshit.

• Options
    I hope this means they don't have to hold back on some of the violence.

• Options
    Adjusted the thread title to reflect the current state of affairs, probably, as far as we know.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    tumblr_n96xy5w08P1ranhx0o1_500.png

Pear-phones?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    But we don't buy shitty toys. So if they want a show that can push a line of cheaply-made merchandise on an undiscerning public, Korra ain't it.

They tried giving us shitty toys for TLA, and apparently they didn't sell very well. Because they were shitty. Then they gave us toys from that war crime of a movie they made, which nobody bought because nobody wants to buy action figures commemorating a war crime.*

(*Battle-Action Space Hitler was the worst action figure ever. Though Ninja Goebbels with Kung Fu Grip was admittedly cool.)

From what I've seen, the toys weren't shitty...

they just were missing half the cast in favor of an obscene number of Aang variants.

No Iroh, no Katara, no Toph, no Azula, but if you wanted a transparent version of Aang, you were set.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Have Hub pick up the show and air it next to MLP

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    I hope the move to digital will boost the accessibility of overseas viewers.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

they just were missing half the cast in favor of an obscene number of Aang variants.

No Iroh, no Katara, no Toph, no Azula, but if you wanted a transparent version of Aang, you were set.

It's like all ten million variant batman toys out there. Want a "capture claw" batman who uses a device and uniform seen literally nowhere else but the toy? We got four cases of those. Want a Joker or a Poison Ivy or a Scarecrow? Well we should be getting a case of bat-villains in next month….
    Trouble was they never figured out that Avatar was an ensemble cast. They also never even considered that boys (the only possible audience for an action show) would buy dolls (because that's what girl-shaped action figures are called) because that would be insane. :(

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Heres the thing woth TLA toys- Mattel made them.( I think)

Mattel bloooooooows. They dont understand that kids dont need or want a million ve.rsions of the hero. They dont get that villians can be just as popular or that lady figures sell.

The other issue is articulation. Your Twilight net armor Aang figure could do liretally no action poses from the show.

Revoltech recently made TMNT figures for the new show though. Theres a decent chance Uhvatar could be next

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Pear-phones?

iCarly uses "Pear" brand computers/phones/tablets as a running gag instead of Apple products.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    They've already paid for Book 4, right?
    So there's not reason not to get those episodes finished and release them?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Heres the thing woth TLA toys- Mattel made them.( I think)

Mattel bloooooooows. They dont understand that kids dont need or want a million ve.rsions of the hero. They dont get that villians can be just as popular or that lady figures sell.

The other issue is articulation. Your Twilight net armor Aang figure could do liretally no action poses from the show.

Revoltech recently made TMNT figures for the new show though. Theres a decent chance Uhvatar could be next

Revoltech also kinda sucks when it comes to details - especially faces. I guess their main competitor is Play Arts, who don't usually fair much better, but myaaah. Ideal manufacturer of Korra toys; Figma. A little higher end than Revoltech, but still cheaper than Play Arts, they mostly do anime stuff, but have also picked up licenses for Nintendo and Marvel figures. I've yet to see a bad figure from them.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »

Pear-phones?

iCarly uses "Pear" brand computers/phones/tablets as a running gag instead of Apple products.

Victorious, Drake and Josh, and Sam and Cat, as well. And when a fictitious show within one of those shows has to show a computer or smart phone, it's a Banana.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    klemming wrote: »
    They've already paid for Book 4, right?
    So there's not reason not to get those episodes finished and release them?

If I had to guess they're just starting to animate the first episodes, so we're probably to the point that it would be a bigger waste of money to Nick to pull the plug now than to go ahead and finish it and get some return on their investment. At least that's the hope.

Still... moving to digital? Christ. I mean, yay for getting to see the new episodes and stuff like Orange is the New Black has been successes on digital and all, but man. This reads like almost as big of a slap in the face as it would have been to just cancel it, never to be seen again.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293