Options

[XCOM] Aliens have defeated this thread. Find the resistance movement in the new one

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    @Aegeri‌

I think it was who who had the game on 360. You should look at that deal

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Damn, couldn't have come at a worse time. I cannot afford even such a great deal for EW right now.

Oh well next time.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Damn, couldn't have come at a worse time. I cannot afford even such a great deal for EW right now.

Oh well next time.

6 bucks for EW after 80% off. It's the cost of two coffees

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Goumindong wrote: »

Oh well next time.

6 bucks for EW after 80% off. It's the cost of two coffees

10 bucks in Oz land.

And I know exactly what I am talking about when I say "No can do"

I just bought a brand new console and I still have to buy another controller for it + a game.

I'm not even buying coffees when I go out right now.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I would like to invite Newfoundland, Long War version, to collectively fuck itself.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    LW newfoundland has never been an issue. Give everyone shotguns. Go slow. Shotgun everything

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Oh steam you card. Take your giant splash screen massive deal on EW to someone else. You wont get me this time.

Fortunately it's a slightly worse deal than the other one.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    It just went south in under two turns. Was not remotely expecting a mad rush from the docks on the left in the first alien turn that gave me six targets.

And then the Lightning Reflexes kicked in. As did the swearing.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    LW

ever had a supply ship mission that was going 'ok' downed 2 ethereals 4 heavy mutons 3 heavy elites and right as you finish that 2nd ethereal on the alien turn this lumbers into view?
    zyrgvwku6by4.jpg

It has a damage resistance of 9.... NINE...
    Shredded and against heat ammo it took 10 dmg... of course its hps are more than can be displayed so I had to whittle off 20 before it even started to go down.... yeah it is a wipe but i had to see how nasty this thing was

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ah yes, SectoGod.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    How do you even kill that thing?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    How do you even kill that thing?

The only winning move is not to play?

A heat shredder rocket, 2 heat gunners with double tap (plasma), sniper disabling shot, dank smoke?

• Options
    Shredder rocket, lots of HEAT ammo and double tap, lots of smoke on your guys.

Disabling shot is actually a TERRIBLE choice, because his alternate weapon is the rockets which will fuck up your cover at the very least. Also, if he's disabled his counterattacks (and he'll always have the MEC counterattack perk) will use his rockets to counterattack instead of his laser, so you can be setting yourself up for up to 3 rocket attacks per turn.

I got lucky with that particular SectoGod as he was on the roof of the UFO, so his rockets couldn't actually hit me, but that's also how I learned about Counter Rocket attacks without losing a squad to it.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Fuck Exalt. Fuck them right in the arse with a rake. I'm not even going to try not save-scumming my way through their missions anymore. When one of them throws a grenade, destroying your cover, and then his three mates shoot at your now exposed soldier, they will die. And there is nothing, nothing you can do about it! There's no counter, there's no way to prevent it other than keeping out of grenade range at all times, its just bullshit. And this isn't even a Long War thing, although its exacerbated by the fact that I've only been allowed to bring four soldiers for the past three missions.

And worst of all, you don't get anything for finishing their missions in Long War! In vanilla you could at least sell off their weapons for cash but in LW you get a small panic decrease and that's it! You don't get anything for fighting them, you just arbitrarily lose cash and research if you don't.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Exalt is easily the worst part of LW. In vanilla you can get a memetic skin dude fast enough that you can alleviate most of your problems with what would be the small missions. But on LW you cannot and there are a hilarious amount of enemies all with rocket launchers. Frankly I think it might just be easier to accuse all continents that you didn't start on right off the bat. Just fuck em were getting this shit out of the way.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Which has the added bonus of giving you more alien bases to raid, since they all contain an enormous amount of meld, which is in extremely short supply by endgame.

Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MELD being tied to the Firestorm is a LW thing, yes?

• Options
    Yep

Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    You pretty much 100% need firestorms to take down the overseer right?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So, I started a new run, and while I had a few early game unfortunate deaths due to thin man lucky shots, this is my best run of Xcom yet. Lasers and mecs by the beginning of month 2, 4 uplinks by month 3, no country has panicked and pulled out. I even managed to do confounding light with only my mec taking damage!

I ended up skipping Gangplank because I didn't want to deal with it, but still!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    You pretty much 100% need firestorms to take down the overseer right?

Yeah, it's virtually impossible for an interceptor to down. You pretty much need to use a firestorm+dodge+aim with improved lasers or plasma.

Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    oh boy b14 of long war sounds delicious.

• Options

Sounds like they're aware that covert extractions are bullshit at least. The plan seems to be to go from the current roving pods of death to a few solo roving sentries and one big pod of death that comes to help if the sentries get a chance to call for help. This setup sounds like it might make an actual stealth style mission possible in XCOM!

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    this is where I mention that there is a mod that turns off EXALT, right?

• Options

Sounds like they're aware that covert extractions are bullshit at least. The plan seems to be to go from the current roving pods of death to a few solo roving sentries and one big pod of death that comes to help if the sentries get a chance to call for help. This setup sounds like it might make an actual stealth style mission possible in XCOM!

Other changes I like;

- Rocketeers are getting a perk that increases their accuracy if they don't move, to offset the fact that SCOPEs don't work on them
    - Medics are going to be completely badass, with revive available at Lance Corporal and a new "field surgeon" that has a % chance to remove non-critical injury fatigue time. Since the % chance is 100% if you bring two of them, and since fatigue injuries aren't critical injuries, this raises some interesting questions...
    - Aliens will now attack your interceptor bases. There is apparently a new (previously multiplayer-only) map they're using for this
    - Your selected squad is now saved if you exit the dropship screen and return (praise Jeebus!)
    - Gauss weapons buffed to make them more viable
    - Steam vent locations no longer random, you can set their location in the INI
    - All Exalt lose 1 or 2 hp (depending on difficulty) across the board
    - Floaters, Heavy Floaters and Exalt Elites drop meld if you don't explode them
    - Europe now provides OTS discounts in addition to cheaper labs and workshops; Asia now only discounts the Foundry

So basically, a lot of good stuff here. The only change I see that I'm really not sure about is that your starting roster will now be 40, but new recruits will cost 25 Xcombux instead of 10.
    scherbchen wrote: »

I don't want them gone, I want them to not be bullshit. Beta 14 looks to go some way to fixing that, they'll be easier and drop some meld at least.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Rocketeers aren't losing the ability to benefit from SCOPE, they're losing the ability to benefit from carbines and laser weapons. So that's -7 (-15 at laser tier) aim to rockets. A situational +10 aim for a skill point does not make up for that.
    The way the field surgeon works is that it's a % chance of reducing the damage a soldier took by 1. So if your guy was dropped to 1hp, then he'll be in the infirmary as if he had been dropped to 2hp, assuming the 75% chance fires.
    Gauss weapons will not be viable. You don't have the money or resources to make them no matter the cost, because there's nothing to spare. They're viable in the sense of "you could potentially beat the game without ever using pulse lasers" but that's not really "viable" in a sane sense.
    I don't recall anything about steam vent locations not being random. The NUMBER of vents will be fixed, not their locations.
    The change to the continent bonus isn't really enough to make Asia not auto-pick. The risk of not getting that bonus is far too high.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    Rocketeers aren't losing the ability to benefit from SCOPE, they're losing the ability to benefit from carbines and laser weapons. So that's -7 (-15 at laser tier) aim to rockets. A situational +10 aim for a skill point does not make up for that.
    The way the field surgeon works is that it's a % chance of reducing the damage a soldier took by 1. So if your guy was dropped to 1hp, then he'll be in the infirmary as if he had been dropped to 2hp, assuming the 75% chance fires.
    Gauss weapons will not be viable. You don't have the money or resources to make them no matter the cost, because there's nothing to spare. They're viable in the sense of "you could potentially beat the game without ever using pulse lasers" but that's not really "viable" in a sane sense.
    I don't recall anything about steam vent locations not being random. The NUMBER of vents will be fixed, not their locations.
    The change to the continent bonus isn't really enough to make Asia not auto-pick. The risk of not getting that bonus is far too high.

The LW folks really have landed on the "brutally hard for no reason or feedback mechanism" button really hard.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I'm fairly sure that beta 14 is going to be an utter clusterfuck. They seem far more concerned with making strategies ineffective than creating a balanced experience.

I remember reading the feedback thread and one of the people working on the game saying "No we don't have a list of things we changed, we don't have time to do that sort of thing!" Which is, you know, insane.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah, everything I've heard about LW sounds like they think of XCOM as just being about brutal difficulty, and are just making enemies that are massive damage sponges, making research take forever, and all in all making the numbers against you bigger without any thought being put into making these things actually fun to play against, and creating real tactical challenges. Just bad game design.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Like, you know how satisfying it is when you rocket a pack of cloaked seekers and are all "NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS"

That's why they're trying to change the AI so that they scatter a lot more on activation.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

Oh, well that just plain sucks. Rocketeers are already hilariously inaccurate as it is.

• Options
    Well I mean you wouldn't be complaining about how inaccurate they were if they could've managed to make grenades as inaccurate as they wanted to. Alas, it wasn't technically feasible.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah I have no issues with going in and changing some of the health values in the .ini. Long War seems to love damage sponges, which wouldn't be so bad if every other enemy didn't have a grenade or a rocket to instantly kill you with. I love the changes they've made in terms of mechanics and research, but fuck the whole brutally hard for the sake of being brutally hard thing. It's fucking stupid.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Like Ethereals are just goddamn bullshit in Long War. They have like 30 health and a million damage reduction, and can one-shot people through full cover because lolpsipowers. That's without mentioning stuff like the sectogod.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I have Enemy Within now. Steam gifting has a long reach apparently. Chiasaur11 is the bomb.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Truthfully if you didn't have it by the end of the 80% coupon promo I would have bought it for you.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Truthfully if you didn't have it by the end of the 80% coupon promo I would have bought it for you.

Honestly, I acted so fast mainly because I was sure someone else would beat me to it if I didn't.

• Options
    You are both the classiest of gentlemen.

I think I might take a break from LW for a while, at least until v14 is out and I can establish whether it is a big pile of unbalanced shit or not. Xenonauts 1.5 is coming out soon and I'm thinking of doing an LP anyway...

• Options

i know about that mod but i like fighting them and i like the missions. just in b13 they really are just bullshit the longer you go on but i'd never want to remove them.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Other changes I like;

- Rocketeers are getting a perk that increases their accuracy if they don't move, to offset the fact that SCOPEs don't work on them
    - Medics are going to be completely badass, with revive available at Lance Corporal and a new "field surgeon" that has a % chance to remove non-critical injury fatigue time. Since the % chance is 100% if you bring two of them, and since fatigue injuries aren't critical injuries, this raises some interesting questions...
    - Aliens will now attack your interceptor bases. There is apparently a new (previously multiplayer-only) map they're using for this
    - Your selected squad is now saved if you exit the dropship screen and return (praise Jeebus!)
    - Gauss weapons buffed to make them more viable
    - Steam vent locations no longer random, you can set their location in the INI
    - All Exalt lose 1 or 2 hp (depending on difficulty) across the board
    - Floaters, Heavy Floaters and Exalt Elites drop meld if you don't explode them
    - Europe now provides OTS discounts in addition to cheaper labs and workshops; Asia now only discounts the Foundry

So basically, a lot of good stuff here. The only change I see that I'm really not sure about is that your starting roster will now be 40, but new recruits will cost 25 Xcombux instead of 10.

I don't want them gone, I want them to not be bullshit. Beta 14 looks to go some way to fixing that, they'll be easier and drop some meld at least.

oh shit, theres so much they are adding into b14 that i missed the bit about aliens attacking interceptor bases. goddamn this is gonna be good.