As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] This thread is wrapped, in some kind of rope or wire. Find the new one!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm ambivalent on Cumberpatch being Strange.

What it seems to indicate to me is that they'll pay a little more for someone who might be a draw to those outside of the comic fandom, or rather they don't have to really win over the fans anymore because they'll clearly see anything Marvel makes now, and are trying to pull in other demographics, in this case PBS anglophiles with organic gardens in their backyard and volvos in the driveway (sweeping generalization!).

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think Bandicoot Crashposition will be fine in the role, but I have never been so bored at a casting decision Marvel has made. Never. There's zero surprise, zero intrigue, zero "You know I never thought about that before but it totally works", not even any "That's exactly who I wanted!" (*cough*Pascal*cough*Fehr)...he's just kinda there. Yeah, I suppose he'll be good. If the trailers look interesting or the reviews are mostly positive I'll probably see it.

But this just killed all hype for me. If they're going with such a boring and conventional choice for the lead, until I see something to say otherwise I have no faith that the actual movie will be the mindfuck a Doctor Strange film should be.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    It tickles me that despite it being an awesome choice, they may have chosen the Pinocchio song to score the trailer because Disney own the rights anyway and they were over budget.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Can you point to that on a color chart?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Oh wait shit it's confirmed?

Yeah that's a pretty danged nonsense choice. That's boring. That's a character who can be essentially anyone because who really gives a fuck and they went with him? Blugh.

Yeah the odds of them setting half the film in a swirling cacophony of Escher-esque nightmare are pretty low.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    I had no idea.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    I had no idea.

Dammit, I read the comments.
    Now they're inside of me.

When will I learn? WHEN?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Eh, Moffat's a tool and they did one widely acknowledged to be poor episode. Still the best series.

Also dominatrix Adler beats the hell outta stuffed in the fridge Adler. :p

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Benadryl Slumberbatch is more like it. I'm already bored.

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Greeper wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The only thing I've seen him in was Star Trek Into Darkness, which I only saw once. Meh? Strange to me is best portrayed as Dr. Orpheus from Venture Bros, so I'm probably not the best to judge.

You really need to watch BBCs Sherlock.

Or you could just watch Luther. Or Elementary. Or anything less terribly gross.

when idris lost the emmy to benedict I cringe-laughed.

Like a bad joke.
    He's amazing as Sherlock. Absolutely amazing.

Him being Dr. Strange makes me so damn happy.

BigWillieStyles on
    3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Yeah that's a pretty danged nonsense choice. That's boring. That's a character who can be essentially anyone because who really gives a fuck and they went with him? Blugh.

Yeah the odds of them setting half the film in a swirling cacophony of Escher-esque nightmare are pretty low.

Cumberbatch can do this, it's a role he's suited for. You're right that this was a safe choice.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    they should make him english and thus gain triple ticket sales from tumblr

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Cumberbatch can do this, it's a role he's suited for. You're right that this was a safe choice.
    But also an awesome one. The guy is an amazing actor. This may be one of the last times he gets to do something like this. We all know he's fated to earn himself an Oscar some day.

I can envision the post-credits sequence now. Close-up on a book with some connection to Doctor Strange. Somebody off-camera goes "Stephen?" The book shuts and is put down. And he goes, "Yes?"

That's really all we'd need.

BigWillieStyles on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    But also an awesome one. The guy is an amazing actor. This may be one of the last times he gets to do something like this. We all know he's fated to earn himself an Oscar some day.

I can envision the post-credits sequence now. Close-up on a book with some connection to Doctor Strange. Somebody off-camera goes "Stephen?" The book shuts and is put down. And he goes, "Yes?"

That's really all we'd need.

Not really. Marvel's done more with less.

landscape_xlarge.jpg

Ironmanposter.JPG

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    I had no idea.

You know, I had wondered for a long time why Romana, an interesting and capable female Dr. Who character from the past, had never been featured in the modern series, but now I sadly know why. I'll be glad when Moffat is off the show and someone less misogynistic has the reigns.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The only thing I've seen him in was Star Trek Into Darkness, which I only saw once. Meh? Strange to me is best portrayed as Dr. Orpheus from Venture Bros, so I'm probably not the best to judge.

You really need to watch BBCs Sherlock.

Or you could just watch Luther. Or Elementary. Or anything less terribly gross.

when idris lost the emmy to benedict I cringe-laughed.

Like a bad joke.
    He's amazing as Sherlock. Absolutely amazing.

Him being Dr. Strange makes me so damn happy.

I never watched Sherlock but I disliked his Khan.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

Deadline and Variety are the two publications that are the source of all this and they're only saying he's in negotiations. If that's true (I don't assume that it is, considering the rumor mill that's surrounded this movie), I can't imagine Cumberbatch won't accept. He's shown a perfect willingness to be a part of big budget entertainment for long periods, unlike Phoenix.

If it does come to him accepting the role, I have very mixed feelings. I think Cumberbatch can pull off the stuffy, scholarly side of Strange just fine, and he'd be great as the arrogant young Strange from before his accident. I'm not so sure how well he'll handle the older, more world-weary Strange as Sorcerer Supreme, though. Strange should come across as a guy who had his mid-life crisis years ago. My own preference would be for an older character actor.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    I used to be a diehard Cumberbitch, but even I'm getting a little fatigued by him turning up everywhere. He's a great actor, no question, but the choice was definitely 'safe.' I would have liked to see a person of color in the role, honestly. Nick Fury (Falcon and Gamora to lesser extents) being the sole minorities of The Avengers is pretty weak.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Uh, yeah, I don't give a shit if some feminist's think Moffat ruined Adler. Her bit was great, and in the end Sherlock was shown to have the same weakness.

Calling such a great show gross because of some pouty articles is ridiculous. Fact is, as long as any female character is interesting, there is no reason they have to fit a 100% pro-feminist agenda. Adler was interesting, in large because of her entanglement with Sherlock, and at the same time, she made Sherlock more interesting. That is a successful character, and that's all that should be expected of the show.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I think Bandicoot Crashposition will be fine in the role, but I have never been so bored at a casting decision Marvel has made. Never. There's zero surprise, zero intrigue, zero "You know I never thought about that before but it totally works", not even any "That's exactly who I wanted!" (*cough*Pascal*cough*Fehr)...he's just kinda there. Yeah, I suppose he'll be good. If the trailers look interesting or the reviews are mostly positive I'll probably see it.

But this just killed all hype for me. If they're going with such a boring and conventional choice for the lead, until I see something to say otherwise I have no faith that the actual movie will be the mindfuck a Doctor Strange film should be.

The concept of Oded Fehr as Strange has me licking the screen. That man's voice is honey. And he was Doctor Fate on Justice League. Basically the same thing.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wanted Anil Kapoor, just go completely solid ham.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Uh, yeah, I don't give a shit if some feminist's think Moffat ruined Adler. Her bit was great, and in the end Sherlock was shown to have the same weakness.

Calling such a great show gross because of some pouty articles is ridiculous. Fact is, as long as any female character is interesting, there is no reason they have to fit a 100% pro-feminist agenda. Adler was interesting, in large because of her entanglement with Sherlock, and at the same time, she made Sherlock more interesting. That is a successful character, and that's all that should be expected of the show.

Literal fucking yellow peril villains have no place in the 21st century jesus fuck.

• Options

I am of the opinion that Adler was one of the more feminist female characters Moffat has written. Oftentimes the actress playing the roles he write save the character (Karen Gillan as Amy Pond is a prime example), but Adler was fine. Being a dominatrix was her job, she did it because she enjoyed it, and that job afforded her many other luxuries and opportunities, which she also utilized for pleasure. Lara Pulver did a great job as Irene, what problems do people have with her? The lesbian vs. bisexual thing?

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I don't know enough about Dr. Strange to comment on whether Cabbagepatch can do the part. When I think Dr. Strange, I just picture Dr. Venture's neighbour, or that part in House of M where Spiderman yells at him to remove his memories. That's the extent of my exposure to Strange. As far as Cummerbund goes, I like him, he's a good actor, but I feel like the media is over saturated with him. Sherlock became this huge thing, then he got to play Khan, and after that he got to play Smaug.

His career has blown up so much in just 4 years that he's already played 3 beloved characters with decades of history. Gimme a guy who's just Strange, because if he shows up and is the Bubblegum Candlewax I've seen (or heard) already, you're not doing the character justice. Don't hire someone who can outshine his role.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

People were really angry about the depiction of Adler? Really?

Benedict Cumberbach is a great actor. His Khan was the best part of that movie.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Adler was annoying for the same reason River Song was annoying, overly flirty crazy impulsive does not a strong female character make.

Clumberhutch should be fine, I'm still burned at losing out on Joaquin Phoenix.

Or Dr Bashir.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I dug his Khan, even if I think he was miscast. I feel like he was far enough from the original Khan that he could've just been his own character and avoided that asinine controversy.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Literal fucking yellow peril villains have no place in the 21st century jesus fuck.

Wtf? What does Moffatt's version of Adler have to do with yellow peril? You do know yellow peril is the fear of Asian culture eradicating western culture, yeah? And since you described The situation as literally yellow peril, I have no clue what you're getting at.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Not Adler, the Blind Banker episode. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i don't think cumberbatch is really "everywhere"

he just has a lot of online presence because there are hordes of tumblr creatures flicking their beans at him

he could definitely be a great dr. strange - he has that sort of towering, bizarre presence

dr. strange really would be a great opportunity to cast someone who isn't white, though, as are most of the less established characters. less likely to provoke people to rail against the sinister progressive agenda.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    He's got a good little career going, but I don't know that he's everywhere.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I think he's a decent actor, I just don't quite get the level of obsession people have with him. I mean, there are many other, bolder choices they could've gone with. Say what you will about the quality of the DC Movieverse, but choices like Jason Mamoa as Aquaman or Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor are bold, weird choices that have my attention.

• Options
    I suppose he's sort of pulled it back in the past year or so. At the height of Star Trek 2 madness, people were complaining that they were sick of him.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    an indian dude would be an interesting choice

also i am secretly carrying a torch for john cho

john cho-chan...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Okay.

Hear me out.

What about...

Naveen Andrews.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    As long as it's not Aziz Ansari

• Options
    Not Adler, the Blind Banker episode. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    Just having an Asian villain doesn't a yellow peril make.

• Options
    Okay.

Hear me out.

What about...

Naveen Andrews.

no wait im having a vision

salma... hayek????

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    an indian dude would be an interesting choice

also i am secretly carrying a torch for harold cho

harold cho-chan...