As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] This thread is wrapped, in some kind of rope or wire. Find the new one!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    There was the part where she appears to throw some energy at a guy without looking. ;D
    Hydra has a habit of "advancing" the powers of those it has in captivity, already established as canon on AoS.
    When did hydra do that in AoS?
    They did that for Blizzard, it's mentioned in Episode 2.
    I remember the brainwashing, not enhancement. They didn't do anything to Absorbing Man.
    Sorry, it was Episode 3. They talk about how they trained him to be stronger, turned him into a monster.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    There was the part where she appears to throw some energy at a guy without looking. ;D
    Hydra has a habit of "advancing" the powers of those it has in captivity, already established as canon on AoS.
    I remember the brainwashing, not enhancement. They didn't do anything to Absorbing Man.
    Sorry, it was Episode 3. They talk about how they trained him to be stronger, turned him into a monster.

Must have forgotten that. :(

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Also in season 1
    the guy in the cellist episode was apparently "enhanced" while in Shield captivity and the implication I got was that was likely due to Hydra cells within Shield

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Absorbing Man
    Was taught to better control his power by Hydra, wasn't he?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Absorbing Man
    I think so, didn't Coulson say that shield passed him over because he couldn't control the ability well enough?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

It's Scorch, not Blizzard ;D

He ends up being waaaay more powerful after a few days in Hydra company, due to experiments on him n' Raina convincing him restraint is for nerds.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2014

He ends up being waaaay more powerful after a few days in Hydra company, due to experiments on him n' Raina convincing him restraint is for nerds.

See, I thought Scorch was an exception. They did that to harvest his body for augmented super-soldiers, and technically Centipede isn't Hydra.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Absorbing Man
    I think so, didn't Coulson say that shield passed him over because he couldn't control the ability well enough?

No it was because
    he kind of liked killing people using it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I don't think they said if Creel killed anyone before joining Hydra. He was a boxer and used his powers to win fights. Garrett faked his death and had him join Hydra.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Absorbing Man
    They mind controlled him and were able to control his powers that way. Note that when his trigger word was used the transformation that was killing him was cured, suggesting that it has something to do with his mental state. So they just threw in mental conditioning.

Also the guy blatantly says "remember your training".

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I wonder why they didn't lay the groundwork for Hank Pym before this movie, though. He's the guy who originally built Ultron in the comics.

They probably wanted to originally. Edgar Wright was working on Ant Man for like 5 years

Longer than that; there's been an Ant-Man film in some stage of planning since basically Marvel Studios existed, hiring Wright as far back as 2006. Wright kept getting busy with stuff, so he and Marvel's schedules never really meshed until recently, so that's why it's going to be almost a decade between the initial talks and this movie finally coming out. Between Marvel having to wait on Wright, and Wright having such a specific vision that Marvel is now locked in to (Pym being retired, Scott Lang being the main hero) I kinda wish they had gone with someone else originally, given that things eventually broke down between them. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Originally there was going to be a Pym reference in Thor (Selvig's contact who knows about SHIELD was supposed to be Pym) but it was removed because they felt they were just popping up too many references, and also because what the plan for the Ant-Man movie was still unfinalized.

I still hope that a post/mid-credit stinger has Pym show up and berating Stark for his Ultron project saying something along the lines "I shelved that thing for a reason Tony...."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

Wrong element, they specifically mention Blizzard being more powerful and able to control his powers better but he somehow broke free of his brainwashing/conditioning (hence why in the episode, both sides are hunting him).

Scorch just "cut-loose" instead of just doing the general magic tricks he used to do. And being doped up on Centipede juice towards the end. Though he did do a few bigger things at the start of his training.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Nocren wrote: »
    I still hope that a post/mid-credit stinger has Pym show up and berating Stark for his Ultron project saying something along the lines "I shelved that thing for a reason Tony...."
    That would be great if Henry Pym worked for Stark Industries in its early days.

Why hasn't Deathlok shown up yet?

BigWillieStyles on
    3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I only just saw the trailer.

That is a good trailer.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Why hasn't Deathlok shown up yet?

He has!

Guess you don't watch Agents of SHIELD.

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Not enough time in the movies, they had higher priories.

Ant-man and AoU spoilers
    That's why Pym is Michael Douglas and Tony is the logical creator in the Avengers for Ultron in the MCU.

Wonder Man isn't a factor in the MCU at the moment.

AoU speculation
    The rumor is that Vision will be based on Jarvis.

Why didn't you like Loki in Avengers? He was fantastic and was the original enemy in the comics that formed the team. Whedon deliberately kept the characters to a minimum so the movie wouldn't be overloaded with people. It was hard enough as it was with five Avengers.

That's not uncommon for roles in Hollywood. Evans wasn't given Cap, he had to compete for it and so did everyone else for their roles - excluding Jackson.

I want the new Thor to be an Asgardian commoner.
    They could have set it up in like five minutes. "Oh, hey, Hank Pym, you worked with my father on robotics, have any tips?"

Wonder Man is really awesome though. And a love interest for Scarlet Witch for a time in the comics (I think she fell in love with Vision though if I'm not mistaken.)

We already knew that the second J.A.R.V.I.S.'s voice was cast as Vision.

The various Fridge people whose powers advanced while they were there. You can assume it was the Hydra agents in S.H.I.E.L.D. who did that.

I just felt like another enemy would have been nice. An alien commander from the comics directing the faceless and silent alien horde would have been nice. Since they picked an alien race from the Ultimate comics, I don't really know all that much about them.

Well, Ultimate Nick Fury was based on Samuel motherfuckin' Jackson, so that's not surprising. Just glad they didn't cast David Hasselhoff (who played Nick Fury in a TV movie or something in the '90s.)

Beta Ray Bill. Just think about it. Guardians of the Galaxy crossover would be rather easy there.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    He has!

Guess you don't watch Agents of SHIELD.
    In the second season...

BigWillieStyles on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Absorbing Man

implied it was shield

• Options
    They could have set it up in like five minutes. "Oh, hey, Hank Pym, you worked with my father on robotics, have any tips?"

That'd be a waste. Pym is vital in the Ultron story line since he's Ultron's father, that position has been shunted over to Stark. Unless Michael Douglass has a secret big appearance in the movie it's better to ignore him rather then pointless fan service, which the movie will have anyway.
    Wonder Man is really awesome though. And a love interest for Scarlet Witch for a time in the comics (I think she fell in love with Vision though if I'm not mistaken.)

I know who he is. The MCU isn't the comics.
    We already knew that the second J.A.R.V.I.S.'s voice was cast as Vision.

JARVIS was set up from the first Iron Man, it's too late to add this person at the last minute in a movie that's got a big enough cast as it is.

The various Fridge people whose powers advanced while they were there. You can assume it was the Hydra agents in S.H.I.E.L.D. who did that.
    I just felt like another enemy would have been nice. An alien commander from the comics directing the faceless and silent alien horde would have been nice.

Like who? Loki was the logical villain in-universe and narratively. He's also the sole movie villain in the MCU that everyone loves.
    Since they picked an alien race from the Ultimate comics, I don't really know all that much about them.

Those Chitauri had little in common with the Ultimate Chitauri.
    Well, Ultimate Nick Fury was based on Samuel motherfuckin' Jackson, so that's not surprising. Just glad they didn't cast David Hasselhoff (who played Nick Fury in a TV movie or something in the '90s.)

Hasslehoff wasn't going to get within ten feet of MCU Fury, even if Jackson hadn't got the role. Marvel has standards and he was Fury before in an adaption.
    Beta Ray Bill. Just think about it. Guardians of the Galaxy crossover would be rather easy there.

How?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    AoU speculation
    The rumor is that Vision will be based on Jarvis.
    I thought Paul Bettany flat out confirmed it during a late night tv show interview?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the way they've set stark up through the first three iron man movies makes the character a perfect fit to create ultron in the MCU, and it lets them do other things with ant man (and potentially do a new/interesting spin on the character.)

also yeah we've 'known' about the vision thing for a while

do people like wonder man? He always seemed fairly boring to me

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    the way they've set stark up through the first three iron man movies makes the character a perfect fit to create ultron in the MCU, and it lets them do other things with ant man (and potentially do a new/interesting spin on the character.)

also yeah we've 'known' about the vision thing for a while

do people like wonder man? He always seemed fairly boring to me

He's liked, he's just a fringe character in the Avengers. I can understand why they'd prefer not to have him there. Put him in AoS for a guest star or something. Not that fringe characters can't be an awesome Avenger, Dane Whitman is awesome.

2099812-406px_blkknt.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I actually think he's a fairly interesting study as a gender-reversal of the classic female 'character who exists mostly to be the love interest of the protagonist' role

but as a character unto himself? I mean he's a strong dude who flies and he's got the 'transform into energy' trick that never seems to be used for any interesting purpose

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I was extremely skeptical about them being able to make Thor a good movie/enjoyable character.

At this point whoever they say they're adding I assume will be done well, regardless of comics.

• Options
    How?
    He's an alien. That's really all you need to make that happen. And Beta Ray Bill is just fuckin' awesome. Imagine Thor 3 with Beta Ray Bill as the main character. Just take my money now.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So after the leak of the Age of Ultron teaser, it looks like there's going to be an exclusive scene played during Agents of Shield this week.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/s227/agents-of-shield/news/a605795/avengers-age-of-ultron-exclusive-scene-to-air-during-agents-of-shield.html

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-trailer-spoilers/

An article examining the scenes in the trailer.
    I didn't realize SW and QS were in the crowds before.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Insufficient Coulson in the trailer. That Fury was in it tells me that he assembled the Avengers without Shield, which is terrible!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Insufficient Coulson in the trailer. That Fury was in it tells me that he assembled the Avengers without Shield, which is terrible!

I'm pretty sure that
    The Avengers are operating independently now; financed by Stark and probably lead by Stark or Cap.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Probably. Still, Coulson needs more screen time with Stark and Potts. They have great screen chemistry.

• Options
    Who's Phil? He's Agent.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mister Phil. Him Agent.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Going by that trailer dissection link, I thought Rhodey was going to be in the movie, with the War Machine going ptew ptew and bang bang bang.

But he's just going to be there as, like, some stupid normal dude in a suit for a scene? J'accuse!

• Options
    Think everyone is expecting Rhodey to suit up. He was strangely one of the loudest complaints about the first movie, why they hadn't called in the spare Iron Man.

They gave a pretty fun explanation in an IM3 prequel comic; when the Battle of New York kicks off, Stark calls Rhodey for help, but he's in the Middle East, literally trapped under a tank. He arrives at NY as they're getting schwarma. And now that I think about it, that's the only way you coulda made that scene funnier, if War Machine shows up all locked and loaded and the Avengers are all just :I

So Rhodey is gonna get a fight scene for sure. I expect his suit gets wrecked early on tho, to focus on Stark.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    True, black guy's iron man has to die first. It's the rule.

• Options
    I would have laughed my butt off had War Machine came in lights and sirens as SHIELD was all push brooming the alien tech up.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    True, black guy's iron man has to die first. It's the rule.

Technically he's got the longest living armor, since Stark went for a clean slate on all of his. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    To be fair, nothing we have seen even addresses how frequently Rhodey gets his armor replaced. Considering how damaged those suits get in normal operating conditions, which for anyone else would be extremely hazardous. If you flipped a tank onto War Machine, he would likely be sputtering in to New York sparking like a downed power line and missing half his thrusters.

• Options
    He's had 2 that we've seen, the original silver model that Hammer turned into War Machine, this was given back to Tony and stripped of all Hammer mods. He got a new one built from scratch that we never saw, and AIM turned that one into Iron Patriot. The movies make it seem like Tony cranks out a new model every time the previous one gets the paint scratched, but that's just a movie pacing thing; p.sure they're maintained and repaired off screen. Like all the obsolete suits were in pristine condition in their display cases.

There was that whole legion of suits in IM3 that make them seem disposable, but remember those things were shown to be waaaay lower quality than earlier designs. The older suits are much more durable, and ya can assume Rhodey's is too since it was built before Tony nearly died and went a little nuts with the suit production.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Think everyone is expecting Rhodey to suit up. He was strangely one of the loudest complaints about the first movie, why they hadn't called in the spare Iron Man.

They gave a pretty fun explanation in an IM3 prequel comic; when the Battle of New York kicks off, Stark calls Rhodey for help, but he's in the Middle East, literally trapped under a tank. He arrives at NY as they're getting schwarma. And now that I think about it, that's the only way you coulda made that scene funnier, if War Machine shows up all locked and loaded and the Avengers are all just :I

So Rhodey is gonna get a fight scene for sure. I expect his suit gets wrecked early on tho, to focus on Stark.

That would have been amazing.

Just half way through that scene, fully suited-up Rhodes shows up, looks around, pops the helmet off, shrugs and sits down to eat some schwarma.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

Why didn't you like Loki in Avengers? He was fantastic and was the original enemy in the comics that formed the team. Whedon deliberately kept the characters to a minimum so the movie wouldn't be overloaded with people. It was hard enough as it was with five Avengers.

I kind agree with the loki thing myself. He is an awesome character, and played VERY well. But in Avengers he just didn't fit.

He's a behind the scenes guy, a schemer and plotter. He's not an "in your face" commander of legions sitting on the front lines of an alien invasion. Had he been used by Thanos to be BEHIND the invasion, working it from behind the scenes, only to be flushed out by the Avengers and defeated, that would have worked fine.

But for the Avengers as it stood, I think some other big badass in your face kind of character would have worked better from a story standpoint.