Options

[Board Games] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    poshniallo wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    But like you said, the interactions on the board make it a completely different game. It makes me want to pick up another hybrid deckbuilder/board game, and now I see that A Few Acres of Snow has a 2nd edition that seems to fix the broken balance and oh god I've made a huge mistake.

Study In Emerald!

AD6VUpz.png

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't remember 3PS ever really going away.

Then again, I've been reading it (and Mac Hall before it) since what seems like forever ago, so it may have skipped a few months and I just never noticed.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    They kinda went inactive a couple of years ago and I stopped reading. Nice to see them back, a rare combination of artism and frequently good commentary.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

How am I supposed to compete with THAT?

Easy, throw away the inserts and baggie everything. No fuss, no muss, much quicker!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    How far does a 20x30 sheet of foamboard get you? 1 game? 2 games? I'm thinking of buying maybe 5 sheets of the stuff, but wasn't sure how beneficial that would be.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    I used about 2/3 on Suburbia and a full sheet on Dungeon Petz.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

How am I supposed to compete with THAT?

Easy, throw away the inserts and baggie everything. No fuss, no muss, much quicker!

As a person whose solution is currently to baggie everything, sure, the process of bagging everything is faster than creating the insert, but the actual setup and teardown of the game isn't. And with my playgroup, the faster I can get everything set up and going the better. I'd rather use an hour or two of personal time than like, 5-10 minutes every time before and after.

I even use Planos for a lot of things and it's just nowhere near as good.

What I can't understand is in the Tzolk'in insert, where are the rest of the board pieces? I see the wheel, but I can't see the others.

• Options
    Yes, baggies are an extreme deterrent to me playing some games. I don't want to play Caverna and Terra Mystica specifically because there are so many baggies to have to open and lay out and then close back up at the end. I just want nice trays that don't require any set up.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Dark White wrote: »
    I used about 2/3 on Suburbia and a full sheet on Dungeon Petz.

So plan on about a full sheet a game then, and if you have extra left over, that's just bonus for when you get a game that uses a ton. :P

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/40399098

Machi koro harbor expansion up for preorder at Walmart.com for $11.99, free shipping.

Hot dealz

• Options
    So my friend with all the munchkin stuff? He's got the board game bug. :-D
    He's now purchased Pathfinder Skulls and Shackles, the second quest, the character expansion, and now Descent 2e. He's talking about getting Cosmic Encounter when it reprints as well.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So Snowdonia is the first Euro I've played that clicked for me nearly immediately, and it's a pretty good one! It was probably because there's some really obvious progress towards an end-state as the rubble gets removed and tracks flip and a limited window to act on certain of your options to score points that it ended up making sense.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So my friend with all the munchkin stuff? He's got the board game bug. :-D
    He's now purchased Pathfinder Skulls and Shackles, the second quest, the character expansion, and now Descent 2e. He's talking about getting Cosmic Encounter when it reprints as well.

Sounds like a man who needs a dozen copies of fluxx too!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Yes, baggies are an extreme deterrent to me playing some games. I don't want to play Caverna and Terra Mystica specifically because there are so many baggies to have to open and lay out and then close back up at the end. I just want nice trays that don't require any set up.

So don't lay everything out. Just leave them in the baggies if you can (unless they have to be set up in a certain spot and then it doesn't matter what storage you have, they're all just as slow). That's what we do and it works fine.

• Options

So don't lay everything out. Just leave them in the baggies if you can (unless they have to be set up in a certain spot and then it doesn't matter what storage you have, they're all just as slow). That's what we do and it works fine.

I mean, unless it's cards which have to be taken out and then you can just pull the fancy card holder you made out of the insert and BAM. You're set up. Or like lots of bits like money, but then you can take THAT tray out and BAM. It's ready to go. And then you don't have to remember what the hell went in which bag and oh I think this is the bag for it but wait now I only have small bags and these are large cards okay let me switch them and wait now why do I have an extra bag?

I don't want shit to work fine Magic Pink. If I was okay with fine then I wouldn't be embarking on this ridiculous usage of time and money and I'd probably be some sort of hippie living in a commune or European. This is America damn it. I want shit to work out like it does in my dreams and fantasies where all the chits are easily accessible while maintaining a minimal amount of table space and the ladies swoon when they see my well laid out and immaculate inserts.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I mean, unless it's cards which have to be taken out and then you can just pull the fancy card holder you made out of the insert and BAM. You're set up. Or like lots of bits like money, but then you can take THAT tray out and BAM. It's ready to go. And then you don't have to remember what the hell went in which bag and oh I think this is the bag for it but wait now I only have small bags and these are large cards okay let me switch them and wait now why do I have an extra bag?

I don't want shit to work fine Magic Pink. If I was okay with fine then I wouldn't be embarking on this ridiculous usage of time and money and I'd probably be some sort of hippie living in a commune or European. This is America damn it. I want shit to work out like it does in my dreams and fantasies where all the chits are easily accessible while maintaining a minimal amount of table space and the ladies swoon when they see my well laid out and immaculate inserts.

Then you clearly need to head over to your local woodworking shop and craft some fine made-in-the-USA hardwood containers, preferably spring-loaded and emblazoned with the Stars and Bars or maybe a soaring eagle or a Don't Tread on Me snake, obviously.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the most appropriate thread, but storage questions/options come up relatively frequently here. This is specifically for card games. I've accumulated a lot of deck boxes over the years and get a lot of use out of them. However they tend to be just slightly too big for typical 800 count (or other sized) long card card boxes. The wowtcg epic collections tended to be the correct size to allow for sleeved cards to go into a deck box and several deck boxes to go into one long box. Just makes organization for me easier than playing jenga with a gazillion deckboxes on a shelf. That and a little easier transport. I'd love if they were in varying sizes as well (the long boxes that fit deck boxes) but you can't have everything I guess.

Anyway, since I am reorganizing a bunch of stuff I am revisiting this idea. Does anyone know of any options along these lines? I dont know the exact dimensions, but these are for typical magic sized cards that are sleeved and normal sized deck boxes getting put into a bigger box. Ideally I can sort a bunch of decks and maybe some spare cards/dice/extra stuff into a single long no and then be able to just bring that out she people are over or make it easy transport to someplace else.

Not sure if the ultrapro or legion supplies are intended to just house sleeved cards and be the "deckbox" themselves or are bug enough to hold boxed cards.

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Auralynx wrote: »

Then you clearly need to head over to your local woodworking shop and craft some fine made-in-the-USA hardwood containers, preferably spring-loaded and emblazoned with the Stars and Bars or maybe a soaring eagle or a Don't Tread on Me snake, obviously.

This sounds like a kickstarter that needs to happen. "Do you like board games, but are you a friggin american? Well show those gat-dang liberals with your hand crafted wooden inserts. You can choose from regular (not any of them other countries) Ticket to Ride, or that Catan America game."

Note that the card boxes for ticket to ride are only big enough to hold the cards if you take out all the ones that go to Canada.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    There's actually a decent-sized demand for hand-designed, hand-made custom gaming tables for those of us who have been boardgaming for a while and have the money to spend on a gaming table with slide-out compartments to keep maps and counters safe from children and cats.

In a dimly related sidenote, I needed to replace one of my bookshelves last year but imagine my surprise as I traveled around to the usual department store suspects and found that nobody sells tall bookshelves any longer. Everything is entertainment centers. I eventually had to go to Stickley's and drop $1,000 on a bookshelf (!). A bookshelf that will last the rest of my life, but still, dang.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    As long as you don't mind not having real wood for your shelves, the Walmarts and Big Lots and those types sell plain 6" tall shelves for $30-50.

Dark White on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    As long as you don't mind not having real wood for your shelves, the Walmarts and Big Lots and those types sell plain 6" tall shelves for $30-50.

Most of my games are taller than six inches! What is this, a bookshelf for ants?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
  • Options
    This is also a good opportunity for me to promote GMT East, coming up in lovely White Plains, NY, about 15 miles north of New York City, on March 20-22. Sponsored by GMT, as the name says, so attendees are asked to play GMT games during the day but a full range of games is allowed, even encouraged, once the sun goes down.

Go here for details: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1ddace9d/0

• Options
    Oops.

S39rcNl.jpg

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

In a dimly related sidenote, I needed to replace one of my bookshelves last year but imagine my surprise as I traveled around to the usual department store suspects and found that nobody sells tall bookshelves any longer. Everything is entertainment centers. I eventually had to go to Stickley's and drop $1,000 on a bookshelf (!). A bookshelf that will last the rest of my life, but still, dang.

I think we're going to get some IKEA NORNÄS shelves once they release in the US next month. They look pretty nice, plus they match our IKEA game table!

Ikea-Nornas-meuble.jpg

Here's the shelf we have currently, which is full to capacity (plus another short book case and some other spillage to another bookcase). Also you can see the table in question.

pic2384488_lg.jpg

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Echo wrote: »
    Oops.

<Alien Encounters>

The worst part of this game is that it makes you watch Alien Resurrection again.
    The best part of this game is everything else about this game.

antherem on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, I finally got a chance to read through the rules for Fief. Wasn't nearly as daunting as I thought it would be from what some people were saying. Only ended up with a single question, which isn't too bad. Definitely looking forward to playing it on Saturday.

Also, I love how they made the d'Arc title just naturally make everyone not allied with her want to murder the shit out of her. Double also, thank fuck that the game has a sane sense of being able to move through enemy territory and that even un-allied players don't have to battle just cause they aren't allied.

@ArcSyn Just curious if you've got an opinion on the one question I've got. There's never a real definition of Army given. Most of the book refers to troops moving with a Lord. But then Calvacade makes sure to state Lords, and that as long as at least one Lord survives, the Calvacade moves on. So, can an Army be made up of multiple Lords that move as a single unit? Otherwise, you could never get multiple Lords to be part of a Cavalcade, right? Since it happens immediately, you couldn't move Army A one space, then move Army B to the same space, and then Cavalcade with both of them. So, you'd have to be able to move multiple Lords in a single move, yeah? I'm pretty sure that's how it plays out, but no where else in the book does it mention multiple Lords making up a single "Army".

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »

I think we're going to get some IKEA NORNÄS shelves once they release in the US next month. They look pretty nice, plus they match our IKEA game table!

Ikea-Nornas-meuble.jpg

Here's the shelf we have currently, which is full to capacity (plus another short book case and some other spillage to another bookcase). Also you can see the table in question.

pic2384488_lg.jpg

Who the heck puts logs in their bookcase ? Also, note the shelf full of scrolls. Must be a Druid.

• Options
    Shelf full of scrolls seems super pretentious. Logs are clearly there for emergency firewood.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Where the hell else are you gonna put your log?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    While I can't remember any section specifically talking having multiple lords forming an army. I know there's a section in the rulebook that talks about how to take casualties with multiple lords in the same army. So, my understanding would be an army can have multiple lords.

If you had an army composed of exclusively Lords, I believe you would be forced into immediate capture if you encountered any other lords or death if you declared an attack on an opposing army that did not have a lord.

As for calvalcading. A piece cannot already have moved in order to participate in a Cavalcade.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your question.

Dark White on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    While I can't remember any section specifically talking having multiple lords forming an army. I know there's a section in the rulebook that talks about how to take casualties with multiple lords in the same army. So, my understanding would be an army can have multiple lords.

If you had an army composed of exclusively Lords, I believe you would be forced into immediate capture if you encountered any other lords or death if you declared an attack on an opposing army that did not have a lord.

As for calvalcading. A piece cannot already have moved in order to participate in a Cavalcade.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your question.

Well, technically d'Arc could have moved already, since she gets 3 Movement. But yeah, the casualty stuff made sense as referring to multiple Lords because you can fight with other armies, and have multiple Lords in a single location. I just wanted to make sure my understanding that they could move together was correct, and you didn't have to treat it as two separate movement actions. People bashed the rules layout a bit, so I was doubting it since that was the only slight question that popped up in my reading of them.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Oops.

<Alien(tm) deckbuilding game>
    tell me everything

Sooo manyyyy caaaards. I think I'll spend as much on sleeves as the game itself cost.

They're also a damn mess in the box, sorting them through now.

The basics seem to have a lot in common with Thunderstone - you have a track of various Complex rooms (essentially like the dungeon in Thunderstone) where cards from the Hive deck (built from the general Drone deck, plus objective-specific cards) move down, and you don't know what they are until you scan them. Scanning costs more Attack the "deeper" into the Complex it is. If they hit the final room in the Complex and move again, they go down into the combat zone, where they're automatically revealed. Any cards in the combat zone trigger at the end of each player's turn, so it's important to scan them while they're still in the Complex so you know what's about to drop down from the vents.

Cards have Recruit points and Attack points, that you use to buy new cards and, well, attack stuff.

Echo on
  • Options
    Also, you get a game board mat that's really fancy. Was expecting something cheap, but this is pretty high quality mouse pad stuff.

• Options
    Cthulhu Wars is waiting at home for me right now.
    7814f985e2b0cfd1fcac2a95edf962de_large.jpg?1370362419
    cw-yfaction.jpg

I'm very excited.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Board game night!
    https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/185992/grab-regular-tuesday-games-12015

My second play of Paperback. I really like it. The deckbuilding and word game elements really work together well. The second print run is sold out, but the third is due in April I believe.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Orleans has a week to go. It can totally make it to 185k, right guys?

I wonder why they picked such a short pledge window. 30 days seems more normal.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, I finally got a chance to read through the rules for Fief. Wasn't nearly as daunting as I thought it would be from what some people were saying. Only ended up with a single question, which isn't too bad. Definitely looking forward to playing it on Saturday.

Also, I love how they made the d'Arc title just naturally make everyone not allied with her want to murder the shit out of her. Double also, thank fuck that the game has a sane sense of being able to move through enemy territory and that even un-allied players don't have to battle just cause they aren't allied.

@ArcSyn Just curious if you've got an opinion on the one question I've got. There's never a real definition of Army given. Most of the book refers to troops moving with a Lord. But then Calvacade makes sure to state Lords, and that as long as at least one Lord survives, the Calvacade moves on. So, can an Army be made up of multiple Lords that move as a single unit? Otherwise, you could never get multiple Lords to be part of a Cavalcade, right? Since it happens immediately, you couldn't move Army A one space, then move Army B to the same space, and then Cavalcade with both of them. So, you'd have to be able to move multiple Lords in a single move, yeah? I'm pretty sure that's how it plays out, but no where else in the book does it mention multiple Lords making up a single "Army".

An army is made up of one or more troops and one or more lords.
    So if you have just man at arms, or knights, or both without a lord, that's a troop. They can't attack or move since they have no lord.

So yes, you can have multiple lords within the same army, moving as one during the movement phase, and even perform cavalcades.

edit: Yeah, I don't know what problem people are having reading these rules. Seems like everyone (and that one guy in particular!) is getting all sorts of confused, but just read the rules! It's not that hard to take them in context and understand them, even if they accidentally typed lord instead of lords, or whatever. They want everything spelled out for them, without realizing what a mess the rules would be if they had done so!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png