As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The boyfriend has to know. People aren't dumb when it comes to, say, how long a pregnancy lasts.

I just assumed they could have started dating at the same time she had her "interview" with Superman, or maybe even before... And even if not, it still wouldn't make the top-5 list of worst problems with that movie's plot.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I didn't think it was a problem with the plot so much as a character element to the guy. It mixes nicely with his place in the movie as, essentially, Superman's human legacy that he hopes to leave the world. Here's a human that rescues people, is kindhearted, ignores people's faults, and flies. He's willing to overlook the obvious fact that he's not the kid's biological father because, at the end of the day, he is the kid's dad.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It was really unnecessary to hide the truth from the James Marsden character. He's clearly a good person who would treated the child as his own regardless of who the real father was. Not telling him exposes him to an extra element of danger and shows an warranted lack of faith in his character. They could have had a rather interesting family dynamic if everyone knew the truth and tried to make the relationships work.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I liked Superman Returns, even though absolutely fuck all of interest actually happens. It's just... some stuff that happens. The movie is in desperate need of a plot.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Superman Returns is a beautiful, lyrical movie examining the character's mythic qualities and fundamental alienatiom, using the cinematic language of the Donner film as a metaphor for the way our origins and our pasts define our present. Like the best superhero films, it is not a franchise entry or a merchandising opportunity; it's a personal artistic statement told through the medium of an existing world and characters.

It was definitely a franchise entry.
    Sure, it didn't satisfy the punch and judy crowd, but neither did Man of Steel, a picture full of empty action and meaningless conflict. I don't think anyone will ever be happy with a Superman movie again; to do the character right demands an adherence to tradition, but audiences crave novelty, and I'm not sure the competing impulses can ever be reconciled.

The violence, as flawed as it was, wasn't why it was a bad Superman movie. The reason it and MOS failed to capture the modern day audience was their flawed writing, stupid main villain plans and being unable to grasp how to properly update Superman for today. Movies can do made for these audiences, but not by WB at this stage. They can by Marvel.

sq_captain_america_the_winter_soldier_ver2.jpg

0b81b1998071d05931710a77ae56ecd0.jpg

Best Superman movies made today.

Next time WB should reflect before making a movie where Superman is a dead beat dad or an apathetic bully who doesn't care about collateral damage. Novelty shouldn't be this hard to get right. It's Superman.

I feel like the avengers insisting on saving people because that's what the good guys do is a direct middle finger to DC movies

heck dc TV gets it

the flash focuses on saving lives first and fighting the bad guy second

sometimes he doesn't even fight the bad guys at all, he just makes a gentleman's agreement with them and they go about their business

override367 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    And Will Smith's role in Suicide Squad makes all the sense in the world now.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    There has been a shock put to my ability to even.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Whoooo Static Shock!

Oh. Jaden.

Oh.

Ed: that came from an interview with Tyler James Williams, a guy I'd much rather see playing Static. :<

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Whoooo Static Shock!

Oh. Jaden.

Oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiE0LCu6J0

I wish I had Pony's video where it's Superman instead of Obi Wan.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Whoooo Static Shock!

Oh. Jaden.

Oh.

Ed: that came from an interview with Tyler James Williams, a guy I'd much rather see playing Static. :<

How and why did that happen?

Did DC/WB want Will Smith that badly or is Will Smith some sort of demon warlock using sorcery?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Holy shit, this sentence goes from "awesome" to "depressing" so fast.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    How the fuck does someone watch After Earth and say "I want that kid to be the star of my movie!"

Because seriously: Jaden had no chemistry with the one other person who is in the movie for any significant amount of time, and I can't believe that M. Night is actually that inept that he couldn't get something going between him and will (who is both his in and out of character father).

• Options
    The fact his father is also involved with a DC movie kinda undermines any belief that he was cast for his own talents, no matter how misguided such an opinion is. It reeks of nepotism.

• Options
    The fact his father is also involved with a DC movie kinda undermines any belief that he was cast for his own talents, no matter how misguided such an opinion is. It reeks of nepotism.

Sure, and it's not like static is one of the big names in comics today so theirs less of an issue if/when this tanks, but it still wreaks of disaster.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is there a word for when you get something you wanted, thought you'd never have, but with a caveat so huge it makes you wish you never got it?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Is there a word for when you get something you wanted, thought you'd never have, but with a caveat so huge it makes you wish you never got it?

Hubris? Schadenfreude?

• Options

A wish off a Monkey's Paw.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Monkeys paw be careful what you wish for kind of thing fits, there must be some obscure german word for that.

• Options
    Wunschgerdaffenpfote? :P

• Options
    The saddest thing is that Jaden Smith is so pumped up with yes men and whatever psychosis being a hollywood celebrity kid delivers (as evidenced by his New York Times article) that he doesn't even comprehend his dad got him the role.

Remember this post when he starts talking about how he's more important to black youth of today than any Miles Morales Spider-Man and he's up there with Sydney Poitier and Denzel Washington.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The saddest thing is that Jaden Smith is so pumped up with yes men and whatever psychosis being a hollywood celebrity kid delivers (as evidenced by his New York Times article) that he doesn't even comprehend his dad got him the role.

Remember this post when he starts talking about how he's more important to black youth of today than any Miles Morales Spider-Man and he's up there with Sydney Poitier and Denzel Washington.

Thanks for discovering the silver lining.

• Options
    oh, he'll play both Miles and Static because his dad will have sunk the family fortune into Disney stock.

Willow Smith will be Spider-Gwen.

Dakota Johnson will be MJ.

The Doomsday clock moves to 11:59.

• Options
    oh, he'll play both Miles and Static because his dad will have sunk the family fortune into Disney stock.

The thing is, Marvel actually gives a shit about casting.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    But does Sony?

• Options
    But does Sony?

Given that they've reached out to Marvel to cut a deal regarding the character I'm gonna say yes.

• Options
    Jaden Smith as Static Shock is just DC super confidence in their ability in adapting their comics to movies. They're so confident in that ability that casting Jaden Smith will be no challenge. Sure people will bring up DC's 'Movies that are not Batman.' track record and the crime against humanity that was Jaden's movie After Earth.

But you know what DC/WB will say?

"Wait until you see Batman!"

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

That and the fact that there are PLENTY of talented young black actors that would do better in the role than Jaden. And that it's tough enough for black actors to get starring roles as it is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The latest Sony movies had great casting, and Marvel has no interest in participating in Will Smith egotism. They need get Zoe Kravitz in a role, she's awesome.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    She was Angel Salvadore in X-men: First Class. Ya know, the girl with the dragonfly wings.

I was surprised to see that it was her in that movie.

Very memorable role...

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gaddez wrote: »

Hubris? Schadenfreude?

Detectivschudencomicshizen.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    And Will Smith's role in Suicide Squad makes all the sense in the world now.

And people thought that Will Smith joined Suicide Squad because he was having an affair with Margot Robbie. Turns out he's doing it for the perfectly wholesome reason of making inroads for his son's acting career.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Nah. Say what you will about Disney but they put a lot of effort in to their major productions. Spiderman wouldn't be one of their direct to DVD milkings.

I don't doubt though that, as much as I love Static Shock, he's considered minor enough that if the movie flops WB won't care.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    She was Angel Salvadore in X-men: First Class. Ya know, the girl with the dragonfly wings.

I was surprised to see that it was her in that movie.

Very memorable role...

That character was treated so poorly. Almost as poorly as Darwin was.

Thankfully that doesn't count for Marvel's "only one role in the MCU" rule, since it was the X-Men franchise(-verse).

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The latest Sony movies had great casting, and Marvel has no interest in participating in Will Smith egotism. They need get Zoe Kravitz in a role, she's awesome.

What's she been awesome in?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Mad Max: Fury Road?

• Options
    edited May 2015

This dress. (spoilered for large)
    Zoe_Kravitz_2_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Californication, Mad Max: Fury Road, and did fantastic with her lousy role in X-men: First Class.

• Options

Californication, Mad Max: Fury Road, and did fantastic with her lousy role in X-men: First Class.

I literally felt cheated at how they handled Angel in First Class. I didn't know anything about Zoe Kravitz, but she had great presence in the lead-in section, until the movie decided that the comic status quo is god and forced Angel to be an idiot.

Then again, that was endemic to the whole movie.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

She didn't do fantastic at that role. Not her fault, no one could. There was nothing there to be fantastic as.

shryke on
This discussion has been closed.