As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Eisenberg will be great, I have no idea where these reservations are coming from. His entire career he's been desperately trying to be more endearing than cruel, and now he gets to unleash his natural state.

100% agreed. I don't get why people don't think he can do it.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Eisenberg will be great, I have no idea where these reservations are coming from. His entire career he's been desperately trying to be more endearing than cruel, and now he gets to unleash his natural state.

I think a lot of it comes from the fact that Eisenberg is 31 years old, and for the most part we envision Lex as being a 40+ year old captain of industry.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    I'm prepared for Jason Momoa to be the guy everyone says "I wish they'd given him more to do instead of that other guy" coming out of that movie.

Which would be funny and ironic as hell because he turned down the role of Drax in GotG because he didn't want to be that guy.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Most people are/were critical of Affleck because of Daredevil. Now that they've gotten over it, they're more accepting of him as Batman.

I'm very skeptical of Jason Mamoa since I don't think he's a good actor. He was boring on Stargate Atlantis and his acting did not improve throughout the series. He has two modes, stoic and angry.

I'm not sure about Gadot either. Casting her is a missed opportunity. Wonder Woman was a great opportunity to break the Hollywood mold and add greater diversity by casting someone with a different body type. Instead, they just went with the slim model look again.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman was sculpted out of clay.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

I think a lot of it comes from the fact that Eisenberg is 31 years old, and for the most part we envision Lex as being a 40+ year old captain of industry.

He doesn't really have to be. Just like the Joker isn't gonna be anything like Ledger's - you'd probably have a hard time one upping Spacey, so just go full on in a different direction. Hell, just have him play Zuckerberg again. He can be a great villain, just as a petty little internet nerd with trillions of dollars to throw around at the people he doesn't like.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Wonder Woman was sculpted out of clay.

By Amazons, not the guys in Weird Science.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    She was sculpted out of clay as an infant/newborn, not post-puberty.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Mind you, Azzarello changed her origin in his run (which is really great). In the new 52, she's the daughter of Zeus.

• Options
    Even if they can justify Wonder Woman looking like a fashion model in the story, it doesn't really excuse their lack of diversity. Anyone can write a story/script to justify why the female characters all look like super models, have fewer lines than the male characters, and contribute little to the story. That doesn't make it right.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mind you, Azzarello changed her origin in his run (which is really great). In the new 52, she's the daughter of Zeus.

It was a great book, but personally I didn't like that change in origin. I always preferred Hippolyta sculpting the baby from clay, a lightning storm goes off, and the baby is real. Zeus/ the gods bringing her to life as a miracle is one thing, her actually being fathered by a union between Hippolyta and Zeus loses some of the magic for me.

She never had a father that way before, it never stopped her.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The lone upside is now people can't do stories about how Diana is a golem of sorts.

Thanks Gail.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well, no. The other upside is that it gives Wonder Woman a built in supporting cast.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I will say that what they're doing with Batman is what I wish Marvel would do with some of their heroes in other movies. Having same universe characters show up every now and again in each others movies is something I would prefer. It's something that is potentially a good idea if they keep it varied and not just Batman Batman Batman.

• Options
    Wonder Woman has always had the Amazons. She was given life by the Greek Gods. She already had a built in supporting cast. It's just that writers didn't use them very well. In fact, they still like to screw around with the Amazons for no good reason.

• Options
    Wonder Woman has always had the Amazons. She was given life by the Greek Gods. She already had a built in supporting cast. It's just that writers didn't use them very well. In fact, they still like to screw around with the Amazons for no good reason.
    She's also had an established non-Amazonian cast as well.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Those Batman pictures are missing something... Is his cape going to be CGI?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    But the Amazons are the ones who always get treated poorly, often getting turned into blood thirsty savages or stereotypical man-haters. Writers like to use the excuse that they don't want to make the Amazons into a cliched perfect society so they make them flawed and human. However, they then go too far in the other direction and turn them into villains, and end up falling into the cliche of making an all female society that can't possibly function with some heavy handed message about how women can be just as bad and destructive as men.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm not sure about Gadot either. Casting her is a missed opportunity. Wonder Woman was a great opportunity to break the Hollywood mold and add greater diversity by casting someone with a different body type. Instead, they just went with the slim model look again.

Their list for WW candidates wasn't that deep. She was one of their better ones to audition.
    Well, no. The other upside is that it gives Wonder Woman a built in supporting cast.

She's always had a supporting cast. The problem is it kept changing with every new writer and incarnation.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I'm very skeptical of Jason Mamoa since I don't think he's a good actor. He was boring on Stargate Atlantis and his acting did not improve throughout the series. He has two modes, stoic and angry.

I love Stargate, I really do. But everyone who wasn't Shepard or McKay got shit to work with on Atlantis. They made Amanda Tapping and Robert fucking Picardo relatively boring.

• Options
    Was the Flashpoint comic where the Amazons go to war with Aqua Man and the Atlanteans before or after New 52?

• Options
    Flashpoint is what created the New 52 universe.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm prepared for Jason Momoa to be the guy everyone says "I wish they'd given him more to do instead of that other guy" coming out of that movie.

Which would be funny and ironic as hell because he turned down the role of Drax in GotG because he didn't want to be that guy.

I thought he turned it down because he didn't want to shave his head.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Those Batman pictures are missing something... Is his cape going to be CGI?
    That's my assumption, yes.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    You can't make a real cape look good? Do you not have fucking fans on set?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

It probably has more to do with the harness and safety.

• Options

They probably can't flow impressively no matter what breeze you make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZdRW8x4RS8

• Options
    Alfred forgot to go to the dry cleaner.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Maybe he just doesn't have a cape.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I'm sure it'll just be CGI'd in, but I can't help but remember the "no faggy cape" thing Kevin Smith said about trying to write a Superman script.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I like the Batman suit, he even has a top chest plate that looks like the top torso of an action figure for mobility. The ears should be a bit longer but it's fine by me.

I just wonder if he's going to have a CGI Spawn cape to boot.

I think you just nailed it. CGI cape for Batman.

The Adam West molded eyebrows on the cowl are a bit of strange touch.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I will say that what they're doing with Batman is what I wish Marvel would do with some of their heroes in other movies. Having same universe characters show up every now and again in each others movies is something I would prefer. It's something that is potentially a good idea if they keep it varied and not just Batman Batman Batman.
    They did that with Captain america winter soldier.

And captain america.

And pretty much any time they had Colson show up.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Civil war is going to be loaded with that crap.

• Options
    Civil War is pretty much going to be Avengers 2.5.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Civil War is pretty much going to be Avengers 2.5.

I'm kind of okay with that. This may be an unfair, intangible conceit, but the first Avengers movie strongly implied, and achieved, something that had not previously been possible in a superhero movie. It consequently felt like every Avengers movie should work from that scale of dominating and overshadowing what the standalone movies could do. Age of Ultron was a fine movie, but it seemed to lack...whatever half-imagined thing, laden with subjectivity and ambition, that I felt the first Avengers movie needed to justify its existence, which it succeeded at.

Civil War is definitely that sort of thing.

Call me crazy, but, maybe someday, we can have superhero movies that are not named after the characters.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular

I thought he turned it down because he didn't want to shave his head.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/26/jason-momoa-on-why-he-turned-down-guardians-of-the-galaxy
    It didn't really fit in my time because I've done so many things where I don't say much and I'm colored up and I have my shirt off again. I made a conscious choice to turn down some movies that were action-based to direct 'Road to Paloma' so people could see that side."

There was also a more personal reason for his decision not to pursue the opportunity. "I want my children to see their father happy. It's not that it's not a good role, it just wasn't the right thing. I was on Stargate: Atlantis for four years playing a similar character called Ronon, who was an alien who didn't say much and grunted. I've been there and done that, whether people have seen it or not. You want to stretch."
    I can't help but think this Aquaman....
    aquaman.jpg?itok=_2zqkER2
    isn't going to be the Brave and the Bold Aquaman. Just a tiny little feeling in the back of my head.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

In 1997 this clip was so good.

In 2015, it is not

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

In 2015, it is not

For 1997 effects it still looks pretty good, I mean we're in 2015 and videogame hair still looks laughable, even when applying TresFX and Witcher 3 hair tech. Somethings are just hard to emulate.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »

In 2015, it is not

For 1997 effects it still looks pretty good, I mean we're in 2015 and videogame hair still looks laughable, even when applying TresFX and Witcher 3 hair tech. Somethings are just hard to emulate.

most real life hair looks laughable.

seems realistic to me

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If your hair doesn't waggle like a truck flap when you run then I don't know what you're doing

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
This discussion has been closed.