As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Eisenberg will be great, I have no idea where these reservations are coming from. His entire career he's been desperately trying to be more endearing than cruel, and now he gets to unleash his natural state.

100% agreed. I don't get why people don't think he can do it.

It's known as the Eisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Eisenberg will be great, I have no idea where these reservations are coming from. His entire career he's been desperately trying to be more endearing than cruel, and now he gets to unleash his natural state.

100% agreed. I don't get why people don't think he can do it.

It's known as the Eisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

:so_raven:

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    To be fair, if the Suicide Squad movie is about them hunting Batman or something Batman-related, it makes sense that he'd show up at some point.

Granted, there's a scale that goes from "cameo" to "co-star" to "Batman v. Suicide Squad". And I think most of us expect that WBs Batman dial is stuck at 11.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    To be fair, if the Suicide Squad movie is about them hunting Batman or something Batman-related, it makes sense that he'd show up at some point.

Granted, there's a scale that goes from "cameo" to "co-star" to "Batman v. Suicide Squad". And I think most of us expect that WBs Batman dial is stuck at 11.

Batman starring Suicide Squad. Maybe.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I don't think it will be Batman starring Suicide Squad. More likely Suicide Squad guest starring BATMAN

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I keep saying this: go watch the Assault On Arkham animated movie. I'm pretty sure the live action Suicide Squad movie will mostly be based on that.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I know I've said it before but suicide squad feels like a disaster in the making; You have a legitimately interesting concept in suicide squad (criminals being used as deniable assets for operations with minimal chance of survival) that is being ruined by shoehorning batman into it.

And I'm gonna tell you something: no one is going to watch this for the Squad. They're going to watch it because it's a batman movie with a wierd focus on all these other people.

Which is just such a waste of a great idea.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It seems like they're trying to make Suicide Squad into a big budget film when the idea would work better as a modest budget film where they can go for an R rating and take some risks. However, they've cast Will Smith and now Batman's going to be in it. They'll probably end up spending more than $100 million and try to water down all the adult content to make into a PG-13 movie.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I just watched the teaser for Batman vs Superman, and thought how awful and boring it looked. Then a happy surprise, Youtube had a side link to the trailer for the pilot of the Supergirl TV show. Which looks actually fun to watch. Kind of like Marvel did a DC property.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=IOAMGpRilnI

Evermourn on
  • Options
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I just watched the teaser for Batman vs Superman, and thought how awful and boring it looked. Then a happy surprise, Youtube had a side link to the trailer for the pilot of the Supergirl TV show. Which looks actually fun to watch. Kind of like Marvel did a DC property.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=IOAMGpRilnI

Potentially because it's DC TV, which has been pretty good since the Arrow guys started doing the shows.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    DC televison has been pretty fantastic

I actually think I'd be less down on movies without the tv shows

but as it stands it's like... guys you have the right thing to do right there in front of you what are you doing?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It seems like they're trying to make Suicide Squad into a big budget film when the idea would work better as a modest budget film where they can go for an R rating and take some risks. However, they've cast Will Smith and now Batman's going to be in it. They'll probably end up spending more than $100 million and try to water down all the adult content to make into a PG-13 movie.

I'm not familiar with Suicide Squad, so... what is it about SS that needs an R rating? You can have fairly dark and disturbing mature content in PG13. TDK was pretty jacked up at times. Does it really require graphic violence, language or sex to be done properly?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I'm not familiar with Suicide Squad, so... what is it about SS that needs an R rating? You can have fairly dark and disturbing mature content in PG13. TDK was pretty jacked up at times. Does it really require graphic violence, language or sex to be done properly?

Well, the neck explosives can be pretty graphic.

Also if they want Harley to be extremely promiscuous (as she was in the cartoon), then I suppose that'll rake in the rating upgrades. In Assault on Arkham she basically sex-ambushes Deadshot.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Putting aside the fact that the squad is routinely made up of deranged psychopaths being sent off on black ops that would make navy seals shit there pants, I'd say the fail safe (a bomb surgically implaned into the base of the skull) is pretty R rated.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I could see Suicide Squad straddling the line between PG-13 and R pretty well. Sure, they're supposed to be psychopaths, but the violence itself can be toned down with not much ill effect. Especially if the endgame is indeed Batman.

sig.gif
  • Options

It doesn't need to be rated R. Justice League Unlimited did a Suicide Squad episode and it was really good. So it's completely feasible to make it a fun heist movie.

However, they hired David Ayer to direct the movie. He produced and wrote Training Day, he directed Harsh Time, Street Kings, End of Watch, and Fury, all very gritty R rated movies that deal with a lot of adult subject matters. If they're going to hire a guy known for making gritty violent R rated movies, why not just commit to it and play to his strengths? Do they think that they can get a bigger audience if they make the movie into Training Day-lite?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    A rating is not a substitute for tone. You can have a serious, adult movie without f-bombs and graphic violence. But an R rating does put a ceiling on box office returns. I'm positive WB isn't interested in turning any of its DC franchise entries into $30mil budget/$40 mil opening minor successes. It wants at least Man of Steel money every time it gets up to bat.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

It doesn't need to be rated R. Justice League Unlimited did a Suicide Squad episode and it was really good. So it's completely feasible to make it a fun heist movie.

However, they hired David Ayer to direct the movie. He produced and wrote Training Day, he directed Harsh Time, Street Kings, End of Watch, and Fury, all very gritty R rated movies that deal with a lot of adult subject matters. If they're going to hire a guy known for making gritty violent R rated movies, why not just commit to it and play to his strengths? Do they think that they can get a bigger audience if they make the movie into Training Day-lite?

Deadshot: "Gorilla Grodd ain't got nothing on me!"

Also, with Batman in the movie, no way in hell it gets an R.

• Options
    Exploding head bombs can easily be done in PG-13. Show the Squad member freaking out as the red light on the back of their neck starts flashing faster and faster. Then use a discretion shot, either of the Squad reacting or maybe a silhouette in shadow of the head exploding. Add in the appropriate, juicy sound effects and voila. You don't even need to show any gibs or anything afterward, just the back of the headless corpse afterward with some smoke coming out.

I'm assuming all of what I described is PG-13 friendly.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm positive WB isn't interested in turning any of its DC franchise entries into $30mil budget/$40 mil opening minor successes. It wants at least Man of Steel money every time it gets up to bat.

So that's how it happened!

"Man of Steel pulled in a good box office, but we're looking to do more. We feel with the right ideas in place, we can bring in a lot closer to $1 billion worldwide every time we get up to bat."

"Up to bat....bat.....Batman! Batman everywhere! In everything! All the time!"

"Perfect! I love it! Meeting over!"

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    i think jesse eisenberg will do a really good job

he takes acting super seriously and lets be honest live action lex luthor is always fkin awful so its not like he has a high bar to clear

my waifu jesse

Proof that not every live action Luthor has been awful:

SmallvilleLex.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The one good part of Smallville.

• Options
    The one good part of Smallville.

Always felt like Chloe and Lex should just leave town and never come back, having a lifetime of crazy science and rich people adventures.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am not sure how "every live action Luthor is terrible" is a thing when Gene Hackman exists.

Is it just that he wasn't like the comic Luthor, or something? Because I thought he was aces. (I liked Spacey too, but that's apparently more controversial.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I am not sure how "every live action Luthor is terrible" is a thing when Gene Hackman exists.

Is it just that he wasn't like the comic Luthor, or something? Because I thought he was aces. (I liked Spacey too, but that's apparently more controversial.)

Respectively the best parts of their movies, aside from the fact that their schemes were fairly moronic. Silver-age style villain plans simply don't work in live action.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Idk about that

I mean

Luthor's plan from Superman returns is basically what China isndoing now

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    A rating is not a substitute for tone. You can have a serious, adult movie without f-bombs and graphic violence. But an R rating does put a ceiling on box office returns. I'm positive WB isn't interested in turning any of its DC franchise entries into $30mil budget/$40 mil opening minor successes. It wants at least Man of Steel money every time it gets up to bat.

That's easy to say but certain subject matters can be dealt with much more effectively when they don't have to worry about making the movie PG-13.
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Exploding head bombs can easily be done in PG-13. Show the Squad member freaking out as the red light on the back of their neck starts flashing faster and faster. Then use a discretion shot, either of the Squad reacting or maybe a silhouette in shadow of the head exploding. Add in the appropriate, juicy sound effects and voila. You don't even need to show any gibs or anything afterward, just the back of the headless corpse afterward with some smoke coming out.

I believe that's what they did in the animated Suicide Squad movie, twice.

• Options
    Idk about that

I mean

Luthor's plan from Superman returns is basically what China isndoing now

China's trying to destroy America by creating an artificial Kryptonite island next to it with no defenses whatsoever? :)

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Yep.

• Options
    edited May 2015

Which is why I keep bringing that movie up. Every question in this thread about the live action Suicide Squad movie can easily be answered by pointing at the animated one and saying, "It will probably be like that." Joker's role and relationship with Harley in the movie will probably be like that. Batman's cameo appearance in the movie will probably be like that. Amanda Waller will probably make an example by exploding a squad member at the start of the film will probably play out similar to how it did in the animated movie.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options

Which is why I keep bringing that movie up. Every question in this thread about the live action Suicide Squad movie can easily be answered by pointing at the animated one and saying, "It will probably be like that." Joker's role and relationship with Harley in the movie will probably be like that. Batman's cameo appearance in the movie will probably be like that. Amanda Waller will probably make an example by exploding a squad member at the start of the film will probably play out similar to how it did in the animated movie.

It's a pity I don't see WB using the animated Wonder Woman movie as a reference. That was the greatest adaption of the character I've seen. And Keri Russell would be a better WW than what we got.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    R rating to me is when the movie absolutely requires sex and/or graphic shots of bullets penetrating flesh and the like. If the Dark Knight can show Harvey Dents burnt off face and the joker murdering half of Gotham then PG13 should be fine for most comic book movies that aren't based on anything written by Garth Ennis.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Jeedan wrote: »
    R rating to me is when the movie absolutely requires sex and/or graphic shots of bullets penetrating flesh and the like. If the Dark Knight can show Harvey Dents burnt off face then PG13 should be fine for most comic book movies that aren't based on anything written by Garth Ennis.

You'd think so but nope.

• Options
    R rating to me is when the movie absolutely requires sex and/or graphic shots of bullets penetrating flesh and the like. If the Dark Knight can show Harvey Dents burnt off face and the joker murdering half of Gotham then PG13 should be fine for most comic book movies that aren't based on anything written by Garth Ennis.

Swearing, drug use, gross out stuff, and certain suggestive language can also cause a film to get an R rating. Plenty of films have gotten the R rating just for profanity and suggestive language, like The King's Speech, Good Will Hunting, Silver Linings Playbook, I Heart Huckabees, Blazing Saddles, etc.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    luthor's plan

step 1: destroy the world's economy and wipe out most of europe, western africa, brazil, central america, and the US
    step 2: ???
    step 3: profit

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Swearing, drug use, gross out stuff, and certain suggestive language can also cause a film to get an R rating. Plenty of films have gotten the R rating just for profanity and suggestive language, like The King's Speech, Good Will Hunting, Silver Linings Playbook, I Heart Huckabees, Blazing Saddles, etc.

This is still so baffling to me as over here it was rated equivalent to G.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

This is still so baffling to me as over here it was rated equivalent to G.

In America, more than one use of the word "fuck" in a movie is an automatic R, and there's one scene in The King's Speech where he curses a bunch.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    I'm prepared for Jason Momoa to be the guy everyone says "I wish they'd given him more to do instead of that other guy" coming out of that movie.

Which would be funny and ironic as hell because he turned down the role of Drax in GotG because he didn't want to be that guy.

I thought he turned it down because he didn't want to shave his head.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/26/jason-momoa-on-why-he-turned-down-guardians-of-the-galaxy
    It didn't really fit in my time because I've done so many things where I don't say much and I'm colored up and I have my shirt off again. I made a conscious choice to turn down some movies that were action-based to direct 'Road to Paloma' so people could see that side."

There was also a more personal reason for his decision not to pursue the opportunity. "I want my children to see their father happy. It's not that it's not a good role, it just wasn't the right thing. I was on Stargate: Atlantis for four years playing a similar character called Ronon, who was an alien who didn't say much and grunted. I've been there and done that, whether people have seen it or not. You want to stretch."
    I can't help but think this Aquaman....
    aquaman.jpg?itok=_2zqkER2
    isn't going to be the Brave and the Bold Aquaman. Just a tiny little feeling in the back of my head.

I don't think tattoos of armor really have the same defensive effect

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    He's super-durable anyway, isn't he? From all the deep-sea living?

I always thought his outfit was meant to evoke fish-scales more than to be actual armor. Same thing with the tattoos, I imagine.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    They could be magical. It would be pretty cool if the tattoos have magical powers. There could be ones that give him armor, ones that let him survive on the surface, ones that let him understand and speak other languages, etc.

This discussion has been closed.