As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Actual Webcomics Thread, And Its Evil Twin Brother, Homestuck

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Blindsprings does seem to be a comic about dudes ruining everything

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    From a D&D perspective, it's Wizards (Learned Magic) oppressing Sorcerers (Innate Magic) while Wizards are barred from whatever magic allows them to perceive and/or communicate with supernatural beings which will have problems down the line..

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    "You have no rights."

Hmmmmmmm, can they just spirit bomb all Orphics and Academics? (the spirit bomb would also kill all the spirits) That'd make me happy.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Vic wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    God, every new page of the current Blindsprings bit just makes me more nervous.

I swear, I'm going to have a heart attack before this chapter is over.

Yeah, this story is making me super uncomfortable. The fact that the academics are 90% men and the orphics 90% women makes it all the more creepy.

The author has mentioned that there are plenty of off-screen male Orphics, and at least two of the Academists in the current scene are women, so I'm pretty sure it's less an issue of population and more about the ratio the author is inserting into the story.

Although the way it's presented does definitely give that impression, and I do agree that it makes the story more creepy.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Also I'm honestly not sure if "You have no rights" is a reference to her being Orphic, or to her being screwed due to having broken some law by doing Orphic magic.

Or maybe both? We'll find out, I guess.

Also I hope her (ex?) husband gets fucking murdered at some point. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Like, the Academics are trying really hard to portray the Orphics as monstrous black magic using oppressors in their history, but so far they've failed to drum up any sympathy for their cause, and mostly have just made me doubt the honesty of their history. Basically the whole situation reeks of the "we were oppressed by this other group, the only right thing to do now that we're in power is oppress the hell out of them now that the situation is reversed"

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    2014-09-02.gif

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    1409647957-VIBE158.jpg

transformers are hard to draw. BROKEN transformers are even harder.

Vibe is a comic about causing thousands of dollars worth of property damage just so you can beat a kid in a fight.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    2014-09-01-OHS%20212%20WEB.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

Do you know why nature did not make a ewok? because it would be wiped out fairly quickly

on the contrary, red pandas exist

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hmm I did not know Red Pandas are part of the raccoon family genetically

I know that Pandas are Proto bears
    But both are due to isolation hmm
    I know I will now fall into the carefully laid trap that is Wikipedia

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Lalabox wrote: »
    The world is very reminding of the Dark Materials series, no?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Like, the Academics are trying really hard to portray the Orphics as monstrous black magic using oppressors in their history, but so far they've failed to drum up any sympathy for their cause, and mostly have just made me doubt the honesty of their history. Basically the whole situation reeks of the "we were oppressed by this other group, the only right thing to do now that we're in power is oppress the hell out of them now that the situation is reversed"

I'm getting big French Revolution vibes from the entire thing, to be honest.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    What I'm confused about in SSSS is... uh... what are they doing? I thought they were going on an expedition to study stuff in the old world, but now it seems like they just took a train to civilization?

EDIT: Never mind, it seems there's a whole section of the archives I missed, rereading now.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought they took the train from a dock to a fort?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah the expedition proper hasn't started yet, they're still getting the gang together and getting to where they're gonna set out from.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    They are moving towards what is presumably mainland Europe and picking people up along the way, requiring movement through the Silent World. When "Silent World" is "anything outside of a fort", you are going to spend a lot of time moving between the remaining bastions of civilization in the preparatory stages.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    AOfAdfC.png

I like that Ryan's morning routine involves getting choked out.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    AOfAdfC.png

Otherwise known as wearing a tie.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    AOfAdfC.png

Otherwise known as wearing a tie.

that's what he said.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

#notallacademics

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    They are moving towards what is presumably mainland Europe and picking people up along the way, requiring movement through the Silent World. When "Silent World" is "anything outside of a fort", you are going to spend a lot of time moving between the remaining bastions of civilization in the preparatory stages.

to another bit of sweden, I think. But yeah, the Silent World is "anything outside of a fort or places we've cleansed, unless something goes wrong, and it frequently does"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    This is pretty good in tone and style for a guest strip:

tumblr_nayyrhCb271qb05x1o1_1280.jpg

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    AOfAdfC.png

that's the only way he can get it up any more

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    2014-09-01-OHS%20212%20WEB.jpg

Is this womans name Bobbie?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Lucille Villas Santos according to the cast page.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    XJYh2jg.gif

wYKhANN.gif

epSUcHX.gif

ywVrSGH.gif

Trouble in Order of Tales

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Every time I see Order of Tales, I think that Koark really should have seen a lot of this stuff coming by virtue of genre savvy, but then I also need to remind myself that not all bards are like Order of the Stick's Elan.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    VP9ZMC1.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    meg19.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    VP9ZMC1.jpg

lol, some people had their privacy violated because they're women and famous

how hilarious

fake edit: the famous part doesn't even matter, plenty of non-famous women have had personal photos stolen and put on the internet

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    2014-09-02-1058push.gif

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    would anyone like to see my selfies

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    crwth wrote: »

literally no one

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular

No.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    selfies is only a couple letters away from selfish

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    VP9ZMC1.jpg

lol, some people had their privacy violated because they're women and famous

how hilarious

fake edit: the famous part doesn't even matter, plenty of non-famous women have had personal photos stolen and put on the internet
    I think you're overthinking the joke, it's just subverting your expectations from the first panel because you aren't expecting it to be an actual skeleton.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I do not keep nude pictures

as an old-school romantic, whenever I want to send unsolicited nudes to a girl I first mail them to her father enclosed with return postage and a letter asking for his blessing

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

literally no one
    Fire Truck wrote: »

No.

yikes...

EzUAYcn.png