As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Simpsons Marathon is on right now, Let's discuss the show's downfall.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    The Simpsons has only gotten better with age.

The lionised early seasons are great, but I think overrated, and the later seasons are great.

I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_jIa2WADc

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
  • Options
    replace the 'Ch' in 'Chucks' with an 'F' and an 'S'

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Surprising noone, Bart the Daredevil is still great.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvR12GzUz4I

That and the episode with the Civil War re-enactment remain my favorites

Skinner: "Tanks? Oh this is just too inaccurate"
    Professor Frink drives over the hill with a "steam-powered super spider"

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I haven't watched the Simpsons in years.

But if it ever gets cancelled I will be so bummed.

• Options
    SeeDarkly_XSeeDarkly_X Registered User regular
    I've never been a steady viewer... and while it's cool that every episode is being shown, that's just to daunting an exercise to put myself through.
    If I ever binge-watch Simpsons, it'll be strictly the Treehouse of Horror episodes. I'm sure I'll miss various nuances and inside gags but I think those are the only episodes that would hold my attention for that long.
    Maybe they'll schedule THAT marathon this Halloween.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG and how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times a week. No Ads. Nothing to buy.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I haven't watched the Simpsons in years.

But if it ever gets cancelled I will be so bummed.

They're renewed through season 25. Pretty much the only thing that can sink the show at this point is one of the lead actors dropping out of the project... they're so ahead of the production schedule that the show is effectively impossible for the network to cancel. They had a close call with contract negotiations though, so it's possible we get to the point where someone drops out due to wanting a deal that Fox won't agree to.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I feel this is just going to devolve into a slew of Simpson quotes... :)

Most folk'll never lose a toe
    And then again, some folk'll
    Like Cletus
    The slack-jawed yokle.

*Cletus on top of a telephone pole*
    "Hey I bet I could call my ma from up here."
    "HEY MA! GET OFF THE DANG ROOF!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I have to say I love a lot of the early Skinner stuff.

"That smells like sodium tetrasulfate bonding with chlorophyll!"

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    Just reading the synopsises for later episodes is spectacular.

535: YOLO

Marge invites an old pen pal to stay with Homer and cross items off his "to-do" list from when he was 10 years old, so that Homer can embrace his "You-Only-Live-Once" spirit. Meanwhile, Lisa starts an honor code for the school to combat cheating.

525: What Animated Women Want

Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.
    Guest stars: Wanda Sykes and George Takei

549: What to Expect When Barts Expecting

Bart makes a voodoo doll of his hippie art teacher when he gets sick of art class and cast a spell to make her sick, but when he inadvertently gets her pregnant, he becomes a savior to Springfield couples trying to conceive - and is subsequently kidnapped to help conceive a thoroughbred race horse.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman!

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

wait hold on something's gone wrong here

• Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Sneed's feed and seed formerly fsuck's? I still don't get it.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Feed and seed rhyme with Sneed. What's a word that begins with 'f' and rhymes with Chuck?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Sneed's feed and seed formerly fsuck's? I still don't get it.
    Chuck's Suck and Fuck.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Hello, this is Moleman in the morning. Good Moleman to you. Today, part four of our series of the agonizing pain in which I live every daaaay

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

wait hold on something's gone wrong here

simpson-sexy-flanders-costume.jpg

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    22 short films about springfield.

Steamed hams. delicious steamed hams.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I get FXX. I believe I'll be tuning in around 10 pm this evening.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    intcy and scratchy land is one of my all time favs

"We need more bort license plates."

Man removes robot's face to repair it, the robot makes a robotic whirring noise upon face removal. Man remarks "i really wish they wouldn't scream"

Helicopter Pilot: We are now approaching our final destination, Itchy and Scratchy Land. The amusement park of the future where nothing can "possa-bly" go wrong. Uh, possibly go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Homer, there's a man here to help you!
    Batman?
    No, it's a scientist!
    Batman's a scientist...
    IT'S NOT BATMAN

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Homer eating blowfish was the first episode of the Simpsons I ever watched.

My first was the one where Bart and Homer got lost in the woods and Homer was mistaken for Bigfoot. Actually, I only watched less than half of it because my Mom caught me watching it and gave me a spanking. She was very anti-Simpsons in those days after she saw a news story about how Bart Simpson was a bad influence on kids. Until at least season 4, I had to watch this forbidden TV comedy in secret, sneaking episodes when I could.

My mom didn't go quite that far. Probably because my sister and I never really watched until I was about 13 and she 15. By a couple years later, my mom watched a few episodes with us.
    When the movie came out, my parents even went to it, though I'm not sure they've seen more than a handful of episodes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

One of my favorite Skinner moments is from the episode where they got school uniforms, and as the students are marching in lockstep through the hall he goes
    "They've even started blinking in unison."
    *ftwhap*
    "I love that sound."

A friend of mine has one of those magentic screen curtains you can put on your doors and it makes that exact sound as it closes and it weirds me out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

One of my favorite Skinner moments is from the episode where they got school uniforms, and as the students are marching in lockstep through the hall he goes
    *ftwhap*
    "I love that sound."

A friend of mine has one of those magentic screen curtains you can put on your doors and it makes that exact sound as it closes and it weirds me out.

Armin: Good evening, Edna. I know we were planning to see a film tonight, but
    instead I'm leaving town forever.

Edna: No, please, I don't care what you've done. You're still a decent,
    honorable man.

Armin: Mmm...that's the kind of talk that makes me want to marry you.

Edna: [expecting him to pop the question] Oh!

Armin: But instead, I'm leaving town forever. Goodbye.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    One of the early, great bits is when Homer is trying to find a date for Selma (or Patty, I forget) and whenever he looks at a man it shows a T-1000 sort of view. When he looks at Skinner:

Pros: Hates the Boy
    Cons: Possible Homersexual

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I hadn't watched Simpsons for a long time but watched a brand-new episode on Sunday a whole eight years or so ago?

I remember the plot of the episode, mostly. I shall describe it to you.

Springfield was going to be visited by the NFL commissioner to be considered for the home of the Superbowl. In their quest to impress him, the town renames all of their streets after famous football players, resulting in him becoming lost. Meanwhile, while the rest of the Simpsons are waiting at City Hall for the commissioner to show up, they leave Abe to house-sit, where he watches some television program that fearmongers about strangers coming to ask to use the phone and then stealing your stuff and killing you. So the commissioner stops at the house so he can call for directions, which leads to Abe attacking him. Obviously the commissioner is furious so Springfield loses out on the bid.

This leads to the entire town being mad at Abe, so much so that he decides to kill himself. So he goes to an assisted suicide place where they basically hook him up to a giant iPod that kills you. I'm sure it was clever back then. But somehow he gets an epiphany of something to do, and knows what they can use the giant stadium they built for: bull fighting. Yes, Grandpa Simpson becomes a bull fighter.

Which Lisa is horrified at and tries to get him to stop. By the end of the episode she convinces him somehow and they escape out of the stadium in a hot air balloon and watch as all the bulls overrun town. The end.

What a mess.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    One of the early, great bits is when Homer is trying to find a date for Selma (or Patty, I forget) and whenever he looks at a man it shows a T-1000 sort of view. When he looks at Skinner:

Pros: Hates the Boy
    Cons: Possible Homersexual

he was trying to fix up Selma, but Patty ends up captivating Skinner.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7XxgxGx8M

This shall be my entire contribution to the thread.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Planet of the Apes musical was fantastic

I hate every ape I seeeeeeee
    from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Sweet a Simpsons thread! I'll start with my most favorite Simpsons joke.

It's from the episode where Lisa decides to become a vegetarian and the family is sitting down for dinner and Lisa is trying to explain to Homer what a vegetarian is.

Lisa : It means that I won't eat any meat that comes from an animal.

Homer : So wait... That means that you won't eat any pork chops, ham or bacon?!

Lisa: Daaaad that all comes from the same animal!

Homer : HAHAHAHA Yea sure Lisa one maaagical animal

<3

• Options
    Armin: My mind is made up! I'm not coming back! And that's final.
    Edna: Oh, Seymour.
    Armin: And I'm not Seymour. My name is Armin. This is Armin's apartment,
    Armin's liquor, Armin's copy of "Swank", Armin's frozen peas.
    Homer: Can I see your copy of "Swank", Armin?
    Armin: Yes, you can. This is Armin's life, and maybe it's not perfect, but
    at least I'm back where I belong. I was born a no-goodnik, and I'll
    die a no-goodnik.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Quick question, and apologies if this has been asked- But did FXX do anything for the older episodes?

It might be because the landlords installed new cable last week, and now it's being outputted through HDMI, but the old eps seem a hell of a lot crisper and clearer than I'm used to. It's weird in a way.

• Options
    I'll catch you yet Beer Baron

.....no you won't

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

*ftwhap*
    "I love that sound."

"Am I so out of touch? ...No. It's the children who are wrong."

-

Chalmers: "Oh, I have HAD it with this school, Skinner! The low test scores, class after class of ugly, UGLY children!"

• Options
  • Options
    Vintage Ralph is best thing

"That's where I saw the leprechaun"
    "He tells me to burn things"

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    I'll catch you yet Beer Baron

.....no you won't

0_o "Yes I will!"