Options

The Ebola/Zika/Other [Infectious Diseases] Thread

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The whole "someone on the plane shouts that they have Ebola" and hazmat crews board the plane may put a serious crimp in your vacation plans, but at least you have a fun and exciting story to tell your family when you get home.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/09/ebola-test-negative-for-dallas-county-deputy/

Good news! Deputy tested negative, which will hopefully reassure the public.

Preacher wrote: »
    See someone was stupid and did something dangerous and didn't get infected. EVERYONE PANIC!!!

See, this right here is what has been making my head explode watching any sort of coverage on this issue. It's not just that most media groups are fear-mongering, they're actually actively ignoring and/or misrepresenting the real world scenario that is playing out pretty much how the CDC said it was most likely going to play out in an attempt to get more views. /headdesk

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The whole "someone on the plane shouts that they have Ebola" and hazmat crews board the plane may put a serious crimp in your vacation plans, but at least you have a fun and exciting story to tell your family when you get home.

"We had a dipshit on the plane" is not exactly an uncommon occurrence.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    That dude is a professional troll. He says all kinds of ridiculous shit, I think mostly to rile people up.

You have to have lived in the South for awhile to understand these types. They really do believe what they say, and they exist in an environment where their only social contact is with either the like-minded or cowed subordinates. It's what several centuries of keeping the underlings desperate and compliant does to the upper class.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

My favorite parts of this:

1) Everybody, and I mean everybody including the infants in arms, breaks out the cellphones to record this.
    2) At about 5 minutes in, "You can't make this up."
    3) "I ain't from Africa."
    4) The flight attendant; good on her.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Xaquin wrote: »
    One thing I never see anyone bring up is this:

ok, say we have an outbreak. Even a small one in say, Dallas (haha)

Doctors show up. RNs show up, sure.

You think the CNA making minimum wage is showing up to clean infected bed pans?

Good fucking luck with that. Hospitals have a TON of essential people that make absolute shit for wages that take care of a TON of stuff. Think any of them will show up for work when walmart will hire them for the same amount of money?

Yes.

since they deal with horrible infections every day.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one
    Several medical personnel at the Carlos III hospital in Madrid have refused to treat certain patients, and others have resigned their posts, the Guardian reported. The hospital, according to a local nurse, was scrambling to contract additional personnel amid widespread fears of contagion, the report stated.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.620053

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Really, the only way to be sure that we eradicate the disease is to put all of our resources into a massive rocket with enough delta-V to pilot the earth into the sun.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Good fucking luck with that. Hospitals have a TON of essential people that make absolute shit for wages that take care of a TON of stuff. Think any of them will show up for work when walmart will hire them for the same amount of money?

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one
    Several medical personnel at the Carlos III hospital in Madrid have refused to treat certain patients, and others have resigned their posts, the Guardian reported. The hospital, according to a local nurse, was scrambling to contract additional personnel amid widespread fears of contagion, the report stated.

That hospital is fucking up somehow. It is not hard to think of ways to incentivize high risk given the profession. The fact that they screwed the pooch on warning the nurse the first time means it's going to be extra costly.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Luckily hospitals equipped to deal with these infections have special training programs and equipment to minimize risk.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Look xaquin if the world ends you can feel free to say told ya so

K?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    :P

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one

That hospital is fucking up somehow. It is not hard to think of ways to incentivize high risk given the profession. The fact that they screwed the pooch on warning the nurse the first time means it's going to be extra costly.
    Look xaquin if the world ends you can feel free to say told ya so

K?

But I haven't said that =(

• Options

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one

The nurse knew she was treating an Ebola patient

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    what is your point here

• Options

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one

Yes and no.

You can incentivize risk all you like.

Without education and/or strong moral commitment to the cause, a person may decide "no amount of money is worth this." If someone asked you to walk naked into the reactor chamber in Chernoble, and offered you a billion hundred dollars, you'd probably decline - no amount of incentive would be high enough. Even though the actual risk is very small assuming that the medical staff are following proper procedures, the perceived risk may be too high to be incentivized for those staff.

People can be terrible at making judgments with regards to actual risk vs percieved risk, and as worst-case scenarios are more interesting in the media than likely scenarios, perieved risk can quickly dwarf actual risk.

Should the nurses know better? Yes.

But I also understand their point of view.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    what is your point here

Me?

I'm just saying that anyone who is saying that this will be difficult to transmit in a first world countries is vastly over estimating humanities ability to problem solve in a timely and efficient manner.

I think it'll get a lot worse in a lot more places before it gets better.

• Options

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one

Yes and no.

Without education and/or strong moral commitment to the cause, a person may decide "no amount of money is worth this." If someone asked you to walk naked into the reactor chamber in Chernoble, and offered you a billion hundred dollars, you'd probably decline - no amount of incentive would be high enough. Even though the actual risk is very small assuming that the medical staff are following proper procedures, the perceived risk may be too high to be incentivized for those staff.

People can be terrible at making judgments with regards to actual risk vs percieved risk, and as worst-case scenarios are more interesting in the media than likely scenarios, perieved risk can quickly dwarf actual risk.

you'll always find some suckers willing to do the job

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one

Yes and no.

Here's a really good article on why people are afraid of Ebola and terrorists wedging airplanes into our buildings but not global warming.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one

Yes and no.

Talking about sensationalist articles, Chernobyl turning most of Europe into a nuclear waste land? The writer has played too much Fallout...

• Options

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one

Yes and no.

In that case, there was strong moral commitment.

There are definitely people in this world (maybe even in the Madrid hospital!) who would go in to help the Ebola sufferers without safety equipment if it came down to it, knowing that they'd likely die themselves.

That these nurses don't have that degree of moral commitment is unfortunate, but I'm still more displeased by the lack of effective education as to the nature and scope of the threat.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    what is your point here

Me?

I'm just saying that anyone who is saying that this will be difficult to transmit in a first world countries is vastly over estimating humanities ability to problem solve in a timely and efficient manner.

Do you think it will ever get as bad as the Flu?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    what is your point here

Me?

I'm more concerned about apples getting as bad as oranges.

I'm aware that more people die of more things every increment of time.

I guarantee if the garden variety flu I get every year had a 70% chance of killing me, well, I probably wouldn't be alive to voice my concerns about Ebola.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    what is your point here

Me?

I guarantee if the garden variety flu I get every year had a 70% chance of killing me, well, I probably wouldn't be alive to voice my concerns about Ebola.

Jesus, you get the flu every year? I haven't gotten the flu in like.. 10+. No wonder you're terrified of Ebola.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    InkSplat wrote: »
    what is your point here

Me?

Jesus, you get the flu every year? I haven't gotten the flu in like.. 10+. No wonder you're terrified of Ebola.

I was exaggerating, it's more like every other year.

most years I get whatever stomach bug my kids get from school though.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I highly doubt you get actual influenza every other year.

The extremely marrow transmission vectors of Ebola make it impossible for it to create a pandemic. The things that made the Spanish Flu so potent were the airborne nature of the contagion, the cramped living conditions of cities at the time, the lack of sanitation in heavily populated environments and the lack of speed in communication. These are all conditions that are not in play for a hypothetical modern Ebola outbreak.

Also I have zero respect for any doctor who refuses to treat a patient, especially when it's for a known quantity like Ebola.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

The extremely marrow transmission vectors of Ebola make it impossible for it to create a pandemic. The things that made the Spanish Flu so potent were the airborne nature of the contagion, the cramped living conditions of cities at the time, the lack of sanitation in heavily populated environments and the lack of speed in communication. These are all conditions that are not in play for a hypothetical modern Ebola outbreak.

Also I have zero respect for any doctor who refuses to treat a patient, especially when it's for a known quantity like Ebola.

Don't forget there is willful ignorance in Africa that's contributing to the spread, which explains how 20K people caught it in West Africa when it's so hard to catch. Western aid workers say one thing, some African civilians do the opposite due to mistrust.

• Options

how reimbursable is ebola

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Without the right equipment? I'd refuse. What the equipment situation is going on in Spain actually is like is unclear to me, but MSF's burning through rubber suits and chlorine at ridiculous rates.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

In all honesty, it's just a job.

Going to medical school is not something you generally do for any other reason than to make money and maybe impress your sex(es) of choice.

Now, if a community put a crazy amount of resources into a doctor, yeah, they owe'em one, but in a lot of places the doctor's just riding on student loans or rich parents and doesn't owe anyone anything more than any other profession.

It would be nice for them to treat at their own risk, I guess.

• Options
    I dunno, doctors go through a lot of crap to get a job that involves people puking all over you, might as well become the sort of freak that enjoys it

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Talking about sensationalist articles, Chernobyl turning most of Europe into a nuclear waste land? The writer has played too much Fallout...

to be fair that actually is a possibility. the concrete sarcophagus over the blown-out reactor was built to last about a year, until a more permanent structure could be built. it's now been almost thirty and the thing is ready to collapse. if it does, that's an unbelievable amount of radioactive dust that gets released into the atmosphere

it wouldn't be Mad Max, but there would be serious public health repercussions for the next hundred years, as well as fucked crop yields and all the grief that comes with that

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options

to be fair that actually is a possibility. the concrete sarcophagus over the blown-out reactor was built to last about a year, until a more permanent structure could be built. it's now been almost thirty and the thing is ready to collapse. if it does, that's an unbelievable amount of radioactive dust that gets released into the atmosphere

it wouldn't be Mad Max, but there would be serious public health repercussions for the next hundred years, as well as fucked crop yields and all the grief that comes with that

They built another some over the old one I'm pretty sure.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

a quick google search says they're building it now, and expect it to be done next year. crisis averted, it looks like

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

called that one

Yes and no.

You're calling 3 people knowingly giving their lives to save countless other people suckers?

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

I'm not sure Ebola is a very well known quantity, they have already discovered that because of the large amount of human to human transmissions that have gone on in the past few months it has mutated hundreds of times. It's impossible to say definitely what traits may or may not appear as different strains continue to mutate and evolve. There's been a lot of people saying it can only spread like HIV through body fluids, but this isn't true, it can spread through sweat glands unlike HIV which means a simple handshake can transmit the virus. What's ironic to me is that the CDC until now has been telling people how awful and alarming the spread of Ebola in west Africa is, to not use public transportation, etc., but our President just recently told people in West Africa you can't get it by sitting next to someone on a bus, etc. There's a ton of misinformation going on, what it comes down to is that this is a very serious and deadly virus and the only way to deal with it is with 100% containment, which we sadly are not currently doing (although several African nations are, shutting down borders, flights, setting up armed checkpoints and quarantines).

EDIT: Also, I see a lot of people saying Ebola is a treatable condition, which as of right now is 100% BS. There is no treatment available for Ebola other than sedating you enough that you don't die a horrible agonizing death as you bleed from every orifice and organ. The very few Ebola survivors that you hear about in the news survived by being given extremely expensive blood transfusions from other survivors along with cocktails of experimental drugs like ZMapp (ZMapp, by the way, has been used on other Ebola victims like the Spanish priest and was completely useless).

This is also why the only experimental drug the poor immigrant Duncan got was a herpes drug meant for DNA-based viruses (Ebola is RNA)

Zavian on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

According to Wiki they are actually still building the replacement. Due to be completed in 2016.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    In Ebola related discussion, as far as Africa goes, I agree with Xaquin as far as I think this gets worse before it gets better.

Which considering how fucked things are now is ridiculous. And of course America could help... oh wait I forgot. We have our current congress, which is currently fielding a record number of dipshits.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, I see a lot of people saying Ebola is a treatable condition, which as of right now is 100% BS. There is no treatment available for Ebola other than sedating you enough that you don't die a horrible agonizing death as you bleed from every orifice and organ. The very few Ebola survivors that you hear about in the news survived by being given extremely expensive blood transfusions from other survivors along with cocktails of experimental drugs like ZMapp (ZMapp, by the way, has been used on other Ebola victims like the Spanish priest and was completely useless).

The primary treatment is rehydration therapy because while I like my exaggerations about bleeding out of everywhere, very few people actually die with or from the stereotypical hemorrhaging. A significant portion appear to die from dehydration instead, which considering people mostly are sweating profusely from fever, vomiting, and having nonstop diarrhea, is understandable. Part of the greater survival rates when people were evac-ed back to the first world could be that we actually are able to hook up IVs to people and intravenously replace the fluids that are constantly being lost, whereas all people can hope for in most of the West African clinics is that they still have the strength to drink oral rehydration therapy (mix of sugar, salt, and water) and can keep enough down to stay alive.

Those 'very few' survivors we hear about in the news are from the very few Westerners who were brought back. A 71% fatality rate (the rate for those infected, as far as we can tell) means that 29% are still surviving somehow despite medicine being "lie on this mat on the floor and here's a bottle of fluid." A lot of those survivors now are actually becoming nurses to those who are currently sick, and it would appear they are immune now. This is not INSTANT DEATH UNLESS MAGIC TECH. It's just very highly likely death. It is catastrophic, not certain doom.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It never fails to amaze and terrify and sadden me how often modern society views altruism through a veil of contempt.

Edited because I forgot about history for a bit

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky