The Ebola/Zika/Other [Infectious Diseases] Thread

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The Ender wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote:
    but wouldn't having an informed public be a good thing?

we see what having an uninformed public has done to west africa.

Worst-case-scenario speculation by a military authority figure who isn't an expert on the subject in question isn't informing the public. Note that he didn't even present a plan; he just stated what the worst case scenario was.

Getting people scared is not usually a good idea. It can be an unfortunate byproduct of informing them when it comes to things like Ebola, because Ebola is a frightening disease, but the goal should be to create confidence where possible. Literally telling people that they might want to be barring their doors does not build confidence. :|

It feels like all I hear on the national news scene is "How bad could it get?" and "What's the worst case scenario?" That is just sensationalist goosery for the sake of ratings because they know people will tune in when they're freaked out.

My local news is the only one that's bothered to tell anyone that it's exceptionally unlikely to spread, and they ran a story last night to confirm that local health services had stated we were well prepared for any cases in our area.

Cog on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Kelly: Southcom Keeps Watch on Ebola Situation

By Jim Garamone
    DoD News, Defense Media Activity

WASHINGTON, Oct. 8, 2014 – The potential spread of Ebola into Central and Southern America is a real possibility, the commander of U.S. Southern Command told an audience at the National Defense University here yesterday.

“By the end of the year, there’s supposed to be 1.4 million people infected with Ebola and 62 percent of them dying, according to the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention],” Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly said. “That’s horrific. And there is no way we can keep Ebola [contained] in West Africa.”

If it comes to the Western Hemisphere, many countries have little ability to deal with an outbreak of the disease, the general said.

“So, much like West Africa, it will rage for a period of time,” Kelly said.

This is a particularly possible scenario if the disease gets to Haiti or Central America, he said. If the disease gets to countries like Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador, it will cause a panic and people will flee the region, the general said.

“If it breaks out, it’s literally, ‘Katie bar the door,’ and there will be mass migration into the United States,” Kelly said. “They will run away from Ebola, or if they suspect they are infected, they will try to get to the United States for treatment.”

Also, transnational criminal networks smuggle people and those people can be carrying Ebola, the general said. Kelly spoke of visiting the border of Costa Rica and Nicaragua with U.S. embassy personnel. At that time, a group of men “were waiting in line to pass into Nicaragua and then on their way north,” he recalled.

“The embassy person walked over and asked who they were and they told him they were from Liberia and they had been on the road about a week,” Kelly continued. “They met up with the network in Trinidad and now they were on their way to the United States -- illegally, of course.”

Those men, he said, “could have made it to New York City and still be within the incubation period for Ebola.”

Kelly said his command is in close contact with U.S. Africa Command to see what works and what does not as it prepares for a possible outbreak in the area of operations.

I can't help but wonder what this Ebola epidemic will look like 6 months from now.

Ever play Pandemic?

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    no, but from what I've heard I should get my ass to Madagascar before it's too late

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    no, but from what I've heard I should get my ass to Madagascar before it's too late

"And in other news, Al_wat has become the first victim of what scientists are calling 'Lemur flu'. More at eleven."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Exchanges like this one (skip to 1:55) really piss me off. Charlie Rose and Norah O'Donnell trying to push and push and push the narrative that it could get out of control, trying to force Jon LaPook into admitting that the worst case scenario is that we all die or something, rather than just asking something responsible like what is the most likely scenario, or questions on preparedness or how people should respond if they are concerned.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I mean, Maddow ran a segment about the judge who's been trying to help the now deceased victim's family out while simultaneously calming down the community.

Guy went into the victim's home (after consulting experts who told him it was safe to do so, and after it was cleaned) without wearing any protective gear (and I think a couple of doctors accompanied him, also wearing no protective gear?) to tell people, "Hey, get out of irrational panic mode. You should be concerned; you should not be treating these people like they are going to melt you if you come too close,"

So, it's not been all bad, but yeah - the usual suspects like CNN have not been on the productive side of things.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    am0n wrote: »

By Jim Garamone

WASHINGTON, Oct. 8, 2014 – The potential spread of Ebola into Central and Southern America is a real possibility, the commander of U.S. Southern Command told an audience at the National Defense University here yesterday.

“By the end of the year, there’s supposed to be 1.4 million people infected with Ebola and 62 percent of them dying, according to the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention],” Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly said. “That’s horrific. And there is no way we can keep Ebola [contained] in West Africa.”

If it comes to the Western Hemisphere, many countries have little ability to deal with an outbreak of the disease, the general said.

This is a particularly possible scenario if the disease gets to Haiti or Central America, he said. If the disease gets to countries like Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador, it will cause a panic and people will flee the region, the general said.

“If it breaks out, it’s literally, ‘Katie bar the door,’ and there will be mass migration into the United States,” Kelly said. “They will run away from Ebola, or if they suspect they are infected, they will try to get to the United States for treatment.”

Also, transnational criminal networks smuggle people and those people can be carrying Ebola, the general said. Kelly spoke of visiting the border of Costa Rica and Nicaragua with U.S. embassy personnel. At that time, a group of men “were waiting in line to pass into Nicaragua and then on their way north,” he recalled.

“The embassy person walked over and asked who they were and they told him they were from Liberia and they had been on the road about a week,” Kelly continued. “They met up with the network in Trinidad and now they were on their way to the United States -- illegally, of course.”

Those men, he said, “could have made it to New York City and still be within the incubation period for Ebola.”

Kelly said his command is in close contact with U.S. Africa Command to see what works and what does not as it prepares for a possible outbreak in the area of operations.

I can't help but wonder what this Ebola epidemic will look like 6 months from now.

Ever play Pandemic?

I play the board game version so I happen to know that one medic, one scientist, and one field operative will have this shit cleared up pretty soon.

Or that there will be multiple cascading outbreaks and we will all fucking die.

am0n wrote: »

By Jim Garamone

Ever play Pandemic?

Pay no mind to the worm. The worm is asymptomatic. The worms helps you think more clearly.

The worm only wants to be your friend. (:

With Love and Courage
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Exchanges like this one (skip to 1:55) really piss me off. Charlie Rose and Norah O'Donnell trying to push and push and push the narrative that it could get out of control, trying to force Jon LaPook into admitting that the worst case scenario is that we all die or something, rather than just asking something responsible like what is the most likely scenario, or questions on preparedness or how people should respond if they are concerned.

They aren't even the worst. There's an ex GOP official who was advocating firebombing West Africa and killing anyone who had been exposed. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/former-sc-gop-director-execute-anyone-who-comes-into-contact-with-ebola-its-just-math/

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

They aren't even the worst. There's an ex GOP official who was advocating firebombing West Africa and killing anyone who had been exposed. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/former-sc-gop-director-execute-anyone-who-comes-into-contact-with-ebola-its-just-math/

I'd like to think guys like him are basically taking the piss because they've done their run in politics.

It's better for my sanity than dealing with people smart enough to get anywhere in politics who also believe in murder as quarantine.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

If you follow this logic, wouldn't it lead you to the conclusion that in order to contain Ebola in Texas we need to burn it to the ground?

• SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Because America would be seen as being able to cure them or having the best possible chance of curing them?

If you had Ebola your thought process would not be "how much is this going to cost me".
    And healthcare is only free if you are a citizen, resident or under some kind of pending refugee status in most places. Tourists have to bring their own health coverage.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

If you follow this logic, wouldn't it lead you to the conclusion that in order to contain Ebola in Texas we need to burn it to the ground?

We could just put up a border fence to keep them out....

VishNub wrote: »

Are we still talking about ebola or..

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

We tried, but they gerrymandered it to fence in the rest of the US with them. (Funny if you know anything about Texas Politics).

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Todd Kincannon is a professional twitter troll. Every single time there's big news in the media, he posts some sick, ignorant bullshit on twitter because he knows the aggregators/blogs will run with it. I wouldn't bother listening to a single thing that guy has to say, ever. Hopefully his schtick will get old and the blogs will stop giving him attention.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Senate Republicans are blocking ebola funding because

A- It costs money
    B- Goes to help Africa

This isn't multiple choice, it's both answers

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Citation needed?

The money angle is covered (as in, yes, this will certainly cost some money), but the "goes to help Africa" part is not, by the links you provided. Specifically, the statements included in the linked articles are that the money will be released as soon as the president finishes detailing his plans for how the money will be spent - and that particular request, in a stunning display of bipartisanship, came from an (R) and a (D) on the appropriations committee.

Elvenshae on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Citation needed?

The money angle is covered (as in, yes, this will certainly cost some money), but the "goes to help Africa" part is not, by the links you provided. Specifically, the statements included in the linked articles are that the money will be released as soon as the president finishes detailing his plans for how the money will be spent - and that particular request, in a stunning display of bipartisanship, came from an (R) and a (D) on the appropriations committee.
    “Instead of using powers given to him, the President is requesting $1 billion for a plan that has not been presented to members of Congress, focuses on Africa, and largely ignores our own borders,” he wrote.

He's upset that the money is going to Africa, where the Ebola is, and not America, where there is no Ebola.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Citation needed?

“Instead of using powers given to him, the President is requesting $1 billion for a plan that has not been presented to members of Congress, focuses on Africa, and largely ignores our own borders,” he wrote.

He's upset that the money is going to Africa, where the Ebola is, and not America, where there is no Ebola the media keeps assuring him the worst case is totally that we could all get ebola.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maybe he's just one of those kinds of politicians who thinks we shouldn't be spending any money on anything outside of our own borders unless it directly benefits us.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Inhofe is just kind of an idiot and opposed to all spending.

The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Maybe he's just one of those kinds of politicians who thinks we shouldn't be spending any money on anything outside of our own borders unless it directly benefits us.

I'm pretty sure he votes for oil tax breaks every time they come up and that money is most certainly not staying in merica.

I had a sad the other day when a news story about a Seattle Area hospital opening themselves up for potential treatment of Ebola victims was all scare mongery "ARE YOU SAFE?"

From a hospital specifically requesting to treat Ebola patients? Yeah pretty fucking sure I'm safe assholes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/09/ebola-test-negative-for-dallas-county-deputy/

Good news! Deputy tested negative, which will hopefully reassure the public.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    See someone was stupid and did something dangerous and didn't get infected. EVERYONE PANIC!!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

:lol:

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    That lady that got quarantined here, I haven't heard anything else about her. Pretty happy with that.

Fuck off and die.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    That separate outbreak in the DRC has apparently followed the normal pattern of Ebola outbreaks, which is that it hits a remote village and burns itself out quickly. There have been no new cases since late September.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Dark_Side wrote: »

awesome!

hopefully the 4 or so under quarantine and 50 others being monitored also come up negative!

Xaquin on
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he votes for oil tax breaks every time they come up and that money is most certainly not staying in merica

We are one or two Bush's away from it staying in America though.

So despite all the doomsaying and promises of complete extermination this has been kept to one case? Go USA healthcare system! You are a step above places that have hospitals routinely destroyed. That's what I call a win!

• 007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular

A- It costs money
    B- Goes to help Africa

politics aside, what happened to simply "doing the right thing"?

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

A- It costs money
    B- Goes to help Africa

politics aside, what happened to simply "doing the right thing"?

yeah, but what does that get me?

edit:

Jesus wouldn't have aided the poor or sickly and I don't think I should have to either!

Xaquin on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

A- It costs money
    B- Goes to help Africa

Well, it could always be worse

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/former-sc-gop-director-execute-anyone-who-comes-into-contact-with-ebola-its-just-math/

KetBra wrote: »

...Where do these fucking idiots even come from?

Hopefully he receives an invoice for the cost of deploying that hazmat crew & delaying air traffic.

With Love and Courage
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The Ender wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

...Where do these fucking idiots even come from?

Hopefully he receives an invoice for the cost of deploying that hazmat crew & delaying air traffic.

Well, I imagine he's going to prison.

Veevee wrote: »

Man, I'm actually thinking about this now. I'm no epidemiologist, but he makes at least two incorrect assumptions: one, that transmission is 100% (as soon as there is contact), and two, that treatment doesn't prevent, or lower the chance of, transmission. So even if the death rate was 100%, I'm pretty sure his math doesn't actually work out....

hippofant on
    Plus, y'know, the assumption that the best way to quarantine an area is to tell everyone, "If you have this disease, we're going to shoot you,"

I'm sure that will make everyone very cooperative.

With Love and Courage
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That dude is a professional troll. He says all kinds of ridiculous shit, I think mostly to rile people up.

The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    That dude is a professional troll. He says all kinds of ridiculous shit, I think mostly to rile people up.

And was at one time the head of the SC GOP. He's example #1 of "GOP gives crazies power"

And I think my favorite thing about that video KetBra posted is how EVERYONE put up their phone to record the hazmat teaming coming on the plane. Also how calm everyone was, that was actually very refreshing.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Not every day you get your plane boarded by a hazmat team

KGMvDLc.jpg?1