As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    if there's one thing kojima excels at, it's contempt for his audience

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    we are all of us the punished snake

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Captain K wrote: »
    Ugh, I've been fighting the urge to replay MGS3 too

and the urge to finally fire up the MSX games too

YOU GUYS ARE NOT HELPING

Captain K Sings!: Snake Eater ???

• Options
    JohnHam wrote: »
    [*] About 40% of the characters in this game look like some incarnation of David Bowie.
    [/list]

I saw somewhere that Kojima wanted to use Bowie music in the game but it was too expensive or something.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

On basically all of Speed's streams I have described my perception of the mainline series as "a video game that resents the fact that it is a video game".

signature.png

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    But so much of the gameplay is great. We were just talking about how many different ways you can approach a single boss character.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Where's @Speed Racer with that dub of Space Oddity

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    But so much of the gameplay is great. We were just talking about how many different ways you can approach a single boss character.

The best ones seem to purposely subvert the typical "boss fight" formula, though. Maybe it doesn't resent the form itself, but it definitely seems to resent the common conventions of the form.

signature.png

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I think some of the hidden stuff that blew my mind about snake eater the most was about two years after I played the game, when I learned that, given enough time, a guard you shoot in the leg or arm will bandage themselves up similarly to snake's own first aid system

also that if you shoot two guards who are standing next to each other but looking in different directions, they will each think the other responsible and start attacking the other guy

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    i guess i don't feel that it really subverts, in a gameplay sense, rather than ecstatically expounds on conventions

even its cutscenes in MGS4, which are made fun of for their interminable frequency/length, try new, engaging methods like the raiden/vamp fight and the inter-act plane scenes with sunny

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I should probably point out that my firsthand experience with the series is literally MGS2.

signature.png

• Options
    I played about 10 minutes of the MGS demo at a friend's house, but never really realized what I was playing until I picked up a PS2 with MGS2. So I played everything in a weird order, but I turned out TV.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I should probably point out that my firsthand experience with the series is literally MGS2.

Well in that case, yeah. MGS2 is subversion on a disc.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I couldn't tell you which I played more, the MGS1 demo or MGS1.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think some of the hidden stuff that blew my mind about snake eater the most was about two years after I played the game, when I learned that, given enough time, a guard you shoot in the leg or arm will bandage themselves up similarly to snake's own first aid system

also that if you shoot two guards who are standing next to each other but looking in different directions, they will each think the other responsible and start attacking the other guy

WHAT

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    This thread has made me realise I must have utilised about 2% of Snake Eater's content. I feel like I owe it to the people that made the game to go back and play it properly.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    metal gear rex might the least enjoyable boss fight I have experienced since jetstream sam

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

On basically all of Speed's streams I have described my perception of the mainline series as "a video game that resents the fact that it is a video game".

I would say more that it is a videogame that doesn't care what other videogame series have done and just wants to do its own thing.

Until recently, at least.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    we are all of us the punished snake

You know if you use lotion that doesn't happen.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    okay yeah, this is a waste of time

you win liquid. Have fun blowing up the world or making outer heaven 2 or whatever the fuck it is that you do

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    he doesn't really do much anymore

not since the whole, arm incident

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    There are 17,300 nuclear weapons in the world as of 2013.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    metal gear rex might the least enjoyable boss fight I have experienced since jetstream sam
    - make sure you're up close and circle strafing
    - if he fires missiles at you, run towards him, not away from him
    - a cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    i'm getting smash and mgs4 tomorrow and i'll probably end up playing through mgs4 first

i'm so excited to actually understand big momma's house and what the deal with liquid ocelot is and SOP and the war economy

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Question, did Snake and Meryl ever actually hook up after they got out of Shadow Moses?

Yes, they were together for about two years, but Meryl got progressively more fed up with Snake insisting on not involving her with Philanthropy, culminating in him not letting her know he was still alive after the Tanker. It's implied that it's the first time they see each other again in MGS4 and she's rightly still bitter about the whole thing (even though it's been 7 years at that point).

sig.gif
  • Options
    meryl is 18 and snake is 33 at the beginning of their relationship

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Fuck you say?

• Options

Look there's a clear clause in the acceptable dating age range law granting an exemption for love blooming on a battlefield.

sig.gif
  • Options

and meryl is 20 when snake is 55 at the end of their relationship

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    i'm getting smash and mgs4 tomorrow and i'll probably end up playing through mgs4 first

i'm so excited to actually understand big momma's house and what the deal with liquid ocelot is and SOP and the war economy

actually understand plot elements, you say? that's an interesting idea you have about how Kojima games work!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

and meryl is 20 when snake is 55 at the end of their relationship

55 is being... generous.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    - make sure you're up close and circle strafing
    - if he fires missiles at you, run towards him, not away from him
    - a cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal

do you have any tips for making my missiles not arbitrarily miss?

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Fuck you say?

I found that fight so miserable that I quit playing the game because of it

• Options
    Yeah Snake is like, physically 70 in MGS4.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me, but for me; Jetstream Sam was an extremely satisfying boss fight.

signature.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah I thought Sam was a satisfying fight too.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    JohnHam when are we going to play more Alan Wake

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

not at the beginning of MGS2 though

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    JohnHam when are we going to play more Alan Wake

I think it'll be pretty soon. After Smash it's a long wait until FC4/DAI. In Destiny I'm probably just going to do raids/weeklies until the first expansion.

I need to figure out when...

signature.png

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

not at the beginning of MGS2 though

Uh at that point he's 35 and Meryl would be 20

and Snake still looks 35

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.