Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    man, the peace walker main theme is good. i've always been really annoyed that they had to drop the other MGS theme because it has always been a favorite of mine. if they decided to keep using the PW one instead i would consider that a valid replacement.

and i'm coming to terms a bit more with some of peace walker's design choices. i still think some of the vehicle battles are badly designed, but it's still a pretty hefty game, especially for originally being on the PSP. some of the story stuff is a bit weird and they dipped dangerously close to really
    damaging the character of The Boss, which can't be done. i'm not sure how much we needed those EVA tapes with a bunch of details about The Boss. a lot of that stuff was probably best unsaid.
    additionally, what is up with the last chapter's missions? could they not think of anything else to do? it kinda makes MSF seem hilariously inept.

overall the game is pretty cool. i'm glad i'm getting to see it before MGS5 so i have a lot more context for that stuff. i finally got around to watching the MGS5 gameplay video and it looks pretty fantastic.

i hope MGS5 is released on PC at the same time as consoles. if not it would probably be the thing that convinces me to get a new console. is ground zeroes worth playing on PS3 or should i wait for the PC version?

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Watching the new Metal Gear Scanlon

I had NO IDEA you could hear Snake's thoughts during codec calls, holy shit

I've probably beaten that game at least 3 times, and I played the Zone of the Enders demo disc a million billion times. Is that something that was really always in the game, or was it added in Substance?

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What do you mean hear his thoughts

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What do you mean hear his thoughts

In mgs2, during codec calls you can hit R1 to hear Snake/Raiden say something positive (yeah! Or Alright! Etc), and R2 to hear him say something negative.

I only found out about this in my last play through that I did last month when I accidentally hit one of the triggers during a codec

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    i haven't seen the video yet but i'm so glad they figured that out (or remembered it). raiden in particular says some ridiculous things.
    you're a real egotistical woman!

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    What is stood out to me so far is that NEITHER OF THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHERE THE GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE IS

signature.png

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    What is stood out to me so far is that NEITHER OF THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHERE THE GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE IS

I have no idea where that is either.

Going to guess the Delaware though?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

This...doesn't seem crazy to me?

Why would a man from Kansas and a man from California, neither of which have lived in NYC, know a specific bridge in New York

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I don't know how you don't pick up the location of the GW Bridge from cultural osmosis. NYC is a pretty gigantic cultural icon (honestly I'm mostly surprised about Drew).

It's probably the second most-famous bridge in the US behind the Golden Gate.

signature.png

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    It's driving me crazy that Dan doesn't know that the PS3 controller has analog buttons and the controls work exactly how they did on ps2

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also watching this, it's just now hitting me that sunny getting kidnapped is entirely snakes fault

Olga was about to leave the tanker when he engages her, and then he knocks her out and the patriots recover her. If he's left her alone she would've just snuck into New York

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I am excited to get home and watch this.
    It won't be long until Drew and Dan will be getting to stuff I've never seen and I am thankful that Drew is playing it so that I don't have to.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I love Otacon being really bad at explaining proverbs

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I don't know how you don't pick up the location of the GW Bridge from cultural osmosis. NYC is a pretty gigantic cultural icon (honestly I'm mostly surprised about Drew).

I think as a person in New England you might be overestimating how much people know about the gwb

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I would say Brooklyn Bridge is more famous than George Washington. I would have no idea what the George Washington bridge looks like.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

I guess I just don't really care about NYC and consequently don't remember what is or isn't in it or where in it things are. It's not really relevant to me.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Also watching this, it's just now hitting me that sunny getting kidnapped is entirely snakes fault

Olga was about to leave the tanker when he engages her, and then he knocks her out and the patriots recover her. If he's left her alone she would've just snuck into New York

Eh, I don't think Snake not knocking her out would have been any guarantee that the patriots wouldn't have grabbed her anyway.

The probably already had their plans for Olga set up, and they knew Snake was going to be on the tanker. Snake making kidnapping Olga easier was probably just a nice bonus to them.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I only know about the george washington bridge because of sesame street

• Options

I think as a person in New England you might be overestimating how much people know about the gwb

I knew this as a child because of Spider-Man the animated series! I'm not going to think it's weird if people see like, the Zakim Bridge from Boston in a game and not know what it is. NYC is the de-facto American megacity, a gigantic amount of our media is based there or surrounds it in some capacity. If people don't know it then they don't know it but I will not stop being surprised.

signature.png

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Obviously the George Washington bridge is in New York, that's where metal gear solid 2 is set and where snake jumps into the tanker incident I mean duh this is all well documented history

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Gonna be honest here

I've lived in NYC most of my life and I'm not sure where the GWB is

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Gonna be honest here

I've lived in NYC most of my life and I'm not sure where the GWB is

Well, of course. If you're a NYC native you'll never see it because that would involve dangerous proximity to New Jersey.

signature.png

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Guys, I've just been reminded that MGS2 is amazing.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Said no one, ever.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Said no one, ever.

...because people never forget.

• Options
  • Options
    MGS2 is not my personal favorite game of all time.

But if someone told me it was their favorite game of all time I would nod my head and understand.

• Options
    It was my favorite until Kentucky route zero started coming out

• Options
    I need KR0 to finish before I can put down a firm opinion on it.

But that reminded me I need to go call that number back now that I have some extensions to follow up on.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    "I'm...just gonna shoot this."
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Do I have to be a premium Giant Bomb person to see this Scanlon dealie-bobber? Keep hearing good things about it, but all I see on Youtube are compilation videos.

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »
    Do I have to be a premium Giant Bomb person to see this Scanlon dealie-bobber? Keep hearing good things about it, but all I see on Youtube are compilation videos.

yeah it's a subscriber-only feature

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Said no one, ever.

Yeah, I was mostly razzing you guys. MGS 2 is by far my least favorite in the series despite how much fun the actual sneaking part of the game is. Almost the entire reason I dislike it can be laid at the feet of Rosemary. The rest of my resentment is attributed to how little sense most of the characters' motivations make throughout most of the game.

And also the length of the Colonel's final codec call before the Solidus fight, particularly how it tries to sound deep and philosophical but ends up being pretty much gibberish.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Said no one, ever.

Yeah, I was mostly razzing you guys. MGS 2 is by far my least favorite in the series despite how much fun the actual sneaking part of the game is. Almost the entire reason I dislike it can be laid at the feet of Rosemary. The rest of my resentment is attributed to how little sense most of the characters' motivations make throughout most of the game.

And also the length of the Colonel's final codec call before the Solidus fight, particularly how it tries to sound deep and philosophical but ends up being pretty much gibberish.

look

let me tell you about the meme theory

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i've played metal gear solid 2 and had no idea that was a specific bridge

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Everything JFK says makes perfect sense.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    MGS2 wasn't gibberish, it was prophetic.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Mmm well there was a little gibberish

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It's coherent enough when you cut through to the core of it

Still very very wrong, and something Raiden would have been able to easily refute if he had a solid mental state, but i know what it's trying to say.

This discussion has been closed.