Options

METAL... GEAR?!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Skullo wrote: »
    Is there a shots fired requirement for Big Boss? You can shoot him a few times to knock him down instead of using CQC.

Yeah, the requirement is 700

I'm coming up on 100 right now. I might try shooting him to knock him down just to get a sense of how many bullets it uses.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i have a hard time properly describing what it is i like so much about the look of MGS2

all the outside environments have this sort of foggy, early morning look to them, with the washed out orange of the big shell, and it lends this really great dreamlike quality to the game that plays super well with its themes

just running around outside in MGS2 is really pleasant to me in a way I can't quite explain

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Wait, does beating up Fatman cause stamina damage? Or are you beating him up and then tranqing him?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I am watching Metal Gear Scanlon and my mind is blown.

There's an entrance to strut F on the lower level from the AF bridge

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Wait, does beating up Fatman cause stamina damage? Or are you beating him up and then tranqing him?

it causes a tiny bit of stamina damage but no i'm beating him up and then tranqing him

anyway

gonna beat fatman toniiiiiite

io4UStI.png

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    whoops messed up the link fixed now

• Options
    EAT SHIT FATMAN, YER DEAD

• Options
    BY WHICH I MEAN, YOU'RE KNOCKED UNCONSCIOUS

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    either way, he'll be sleeping with the fishes by the game's last act

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I love how incredibly bad Snake is at staying undercover on the Plant

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

it's like he can't remember the navy's motto so he just throws out every military motto he can think of

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Oh my god it takes so long for Drew to wrap his mind around the Big Shell's layout. It takes Jason to all but tell them LISTEN. GUYS. STRUT B IS OVER THERE.

sig.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    drew's gotta have some pdf printouts to consult

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Oh my god it takes so long for Drew to wrap his mind around the Big Shell's layout. It takes Jason to all but tell them LISTEN. GUYS. STRUT B IS OVER THERE.

I have played MGS2 twice

When Drew said "I think the path to B is closed and I have to go around" I thought he was right

MGS2 is the easiest game to misremember

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Hey Speed

you're pretty good

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    but don't let them play you like a fiddle

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

it's like he can't remember the navy's motto so he just throws out every military motto he can think of

"Who dares, wins. Semper fi. E pluribus unum. Ad mare usque ad mare. Alea jacta est. Mm mm good. Pa la pa pa pa, I'm lovin' it. Five dollar footlong."

sig.gif
  • Options
    alright cool cool cool

I've got the basic steps of the path to the Harrier down

-tranq all the guards in the package room, then shoot the camera now that no one can here you

-use the box to cross the EF bridge since you can't draw a bead on the lookout guard from the E side. Grab the claymore planted on the way to shell one so you don't have to worry about it later

-Run into Strut F, wait a beat, and cartwheel downstairs. Bust into the top room, wait for the guard to turn, tranq him, and grab the assault rifle and ammo, run back to the EF bridge

-Shoot the gun cypher near the door, run down to the bridge to Shell 1, and shoot the drone guarding it, head into Shell 1. You can get there so fast that the lookout doesn't have time to get in position.

-Equip the disguise, run down to the bottom room to pick up some chaff grenades.

-Run up to the right and around into the elevator. Down down to B2, grab the directional mic, and go up to B1.

-Run into the break room, wait for the guard to break line of sight with his buddies, drag him to the machine. Run into the hostage room and talk to Ames

-Hide around the corner until the guard at the elevator moves, then take the elevator up to floor 1

-Tranq the assault trooper guarding the elevator and throw a chaff. Wait for the guard to round the corner and hold him up and tranq him. Tranq his friend on the other side of the hall. Shoot a bullet at the wall behind the riot shield guy to make him turn, then shoot him in the head. Run out to the EF bridge.

-Throw a chaff, run up to the intersection, shoot the lookout, head down to strut F

-Run left, wait for the guard to poke his head around the corner and tranq him. Tranq the guard on the opposite end of the room and run down to the sniper rifle room. Grab the PSG1 and the PSG1-T.

-Run back to the EF bridge, shoot the two drones guarding the path to Strut E, and tranq the lookout

-Now that the camera is shot in strut E, you don't have to worry about not having chaff. Run around the perimeter of the room like you would when going to the heliport, but go to the strut D bridge instead

-Run downstairs and tranq both guards patrolling the bridge, run up and enter strut D

-Tranq the guard near the DG connecting bridge and run for the door

-Snipe the bombs and trigger the cutscenes and save!

Now it's just a matter of stringing it all together in a single run.

• Options
    ...Oh

that explains why the game audio drowns me out so much

My TV doesn't have a heaphone jack so I'd been just letting the mic pick up the tv's audio

but apparently i forgot to tell the capture card not to output audio

so it's coming in from two sources while my voice only comes in from one

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah that'll do it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    wait no don't do that instead come watch me get to the harrier!

io4UStI.png

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    uh

why are those url tags not working

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    huh

not sure what the problem was but i fixed it

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Whelp.

I just saw someone claim that Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was grounded.

Yes. The one with Poisonous Zanzibar Hamsters. And the world's stupidest guard.

They then went on to lament how the series lost its commitment to realism.

Personally, I blame the Patriots.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    no metal gear game is grounded or realistic at all people just get more sensitive to its dumbness

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm streamin' some more

just

just scroll up for a link

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Whelp.

wasn't that the one with the guy who used to be with NASA's anti-ET spec ops unit and spent most of his boss fight teleporting around?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Whelp.

wasn't that the one with the guy who used to be with NASA's anti-ET spec ops unit and spent most of his boss fight teleporting around?

Yep! And they had a boss whose primary military specialty was the 100 yard dash.

(NASA's secret spec ops unit was BLACK NINJA. And they were hunted down for being too dangerous to exist. It's implied there's more than one of them, but you only fight Kyle. Why, yes. I WOULD like to play a Metal Gear game where NASA's special ops team takes over a space station to force Sunny to build a SPACE METAL GEAR and only Blade Wolf can stop them.)

• Options
    I made it to the harrier!

Not sure what back I ,a aged to break through but I've gone from spinning my wheels for months in end to making consistent progress

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    Whelp.

Yep! And they had a boss whose primary military specialty was the 100 yard dash.

(NASA's secret spec ops unit was BLACK NINJA. And they were hunted down for being too dangerous to exist. It's implied there's more than one of them, but you only fight Kyle. Why, yes. I WOULD like to play a Metal Gear game where NASA's special ops team takes over a space station to force Sunny to build a SPACE METAL GEAR and only Sunny in an iron man suit made out of blade wolf's body can stop them.)

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    So I finished Twin Snakes recently:

UykeIs8.png

It was my first Metal Gear ever! Not sure why people don't like it, I thought it was awesome

xet8c.gif

• Options
    It's not that people don't like it, it's just that it puts a lot of unnecessary bullshit on top of a game that didn't need it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, Twin Snakes only fails in comparison to the original

Adding in the first-person stuff without rebalancing makes the game 1000x easier, and the cutscenes are overall a lot wackier

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Twin Snakes removes Snake making fun of Vulcan Raven's Eskimo Olympics performance and saying he must be a real threat in the mukluk eating contest

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Twin Snakes removes Snake making fun of Vulcan Raven's Eskimo Olympics performance and saying he must be a real threat in the mukluk eating contest

Okay nevermind fuck that game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Twin Snakes cutscenes are an improvement.

• Options
    Twin Snakes cutscenes are an improvement.

it depends a lot on what you want out of the game

MGS1 is, relatively speaking, more grounded than the other metal gears. Snake in particular is not shown to be any kind of crazy superhero, and it creates the sense that he's just a normal badass soldier clashing against a bunch of superpowered freaks and winning, which is really appealing to some people

in Twin Snakes he's the most anime motherfucker there ever was. The cutscenes are fun for the same reason platinum games cutscenes are fun. They're just big and audacious and ridiculous, and thtere's an appeal to that too

Personally I prefer 1, because I don't like how the human models look in TTS. Something about their faces weirds me out. But both versions are totally acceptable.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Part of it is just that I played the original first so twin snakes just feels "wrong" to me.

I just don't dig the style of the guy they got to do the new cutscenes either.

• Options
    TTS was my introduction to the series adn I still prefer 1!

This discussion has been closed.