Options

Crisis on Infinite [Superheroes]: A Multimedia Adventure

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    A question on Marvel Cosmic timeline here
    In Captain Marvel, J'Son is still the Emperor of the Spartax.
    In Legendary Star Lord, Captain Victoria introduces herself with " I am Captain Victoria, commander of the Spartax Royal Guard, and daughter of former emperor J-son" (emphasis mine)
    In Guardians of the Galaxy Captain Marvel is there when the Spartax empire starts a bit of a civil war, after rescuing Quill.

So...how exactly does this all fit together?
    Well, I'd assume
    Captain Marvel first
    GotG second
    Star-Lord third.

Unless there's a specific event that make that order impossible.
    Captain Marvel goes in and out of Guardians, and it isn't super well referenced within Captain Marvel. Like at one point she leaves the Guardians, leaves her ship with Quill, but in GotG the guardians are all captured and her ship doesn't make an appearance, but she shows back up in the Guardians with her ship while her ongoing has her on another planet without her ship, and in her ongoing she gets her ship back and Rocket is on there, even though his ongoing has him somewhere else?

Storylines don't take place concurrently unless otherwise specified.

Gotcha. I thought comics coming out around the same time were roughly taking place at the same time in the continuity as well. Now I know!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Also, sometimes you just have to fudge things.

Tony Stark was operating with the Avengers, doing secret work with the Illuminati, hanging out with the Guardians, and going on a journey of self discovery IN SPACE all at the same time, and I bet if you tried to line it all up, it wouldn't make sense.

• Options

Tony Stark was operating with the Avengers, doing secret work with the Illuminati, hanging out with the Guardians, and going on a journey of self discovery IN SPACE all at the same time, and I bet if you tried to line it all up, it wouldn't make sense.

I now understand why comic continuity is the most obsessively cataloged topic on the internet. There's no other way.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Unless things are glaringly bad in continuity as far as characterization or someone being alive when they are dead I'm pretty forgiving. It's something I accept within the medium, if I like the story and it doesn't distract then I'm ok.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Let's talk about the shrodinger's state of cap. He's alternatively fine/angry at tony, and/or old. Often in the same books!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

For some reason I read this as Scott Pilgrim and though you meant Michael Cera and got super confused.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    heck yessss Stick

• Options

I now understand why comic continuity is the most obsessively cataloged topic on the internet. There's no other way.

If you wanted to go insane, you'd try figuring out how many books wolverine is in a given month. He's gettting killed soon, so that should cut his books in half at least :)

• Options
    I jumped back into mainstream comics with Guardians, which was super bad about crossover arcs and events, so I guess I expected crossovers to be marked or labeled a bit more clearly, if annoyingly, like that run was (IE, "this story continued in issue 27, 29, and 31 of 'comic you aren't reading'").

Having a character jump back and forth like that without some reference point is only a minute annoyance I guess.
    I avoid Wolverine because so far the only thing I've liked him in was his appearance in Ms. Marvel. I like "Guy who's seen shit and knows a lot about physical and emotional pain" Wolverine more than a lot of other depictions of him.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Guess they really are tying in the USM animated series to the Spider-Verse event.

SPIDERVERSETEAMUP002-cf857.jpg
    SPIDER-VERSE TEAM-UP #2 (of 3)
    CHRISTOS GAGE & GERRY CONWAY (W)
    DAVE WILLIAMS & PAUL SMITH (A)
    Cover by DAVE WILLIAMS
    SPIDER-VERSE TIE-IN!
    • MILES MORALES AND ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN (from the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN cartoon) TEAM UP!
    • GWEN STACY SPIDER-WOMAN goes to a universe to recruit a Peter Parker who never got over her death!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

I wonder if they plan to add any of the show's cutaway gags to the issue. Or point readers to one of the show's new Web Warriors episodes to see the conclusion of the meetup. The Amazing Spider-Man issue from the same month looks to have a good confrontation by the way if the cover's any indication.
    ASM2014011-cov-00319.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Age of Ultron plot details officially released
    Marvel Studios presents “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” the epic follow-up to the biggest Super Hero movie of all time. When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put to the ultimate test as the fate of the planet hangs in the balance. As the villainous Ultron emerges, it is up to The Avengers to stop him from enacting his terrible plans, and soon uneasy alliances and unexpected action pave the way for an epic and unique global adventure.

Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” stars Robert Downey Jr., who returns as Iron Man, along with Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk. Together with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, and with the additional support of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill, the team must reassemble to defeat James Spader as Ultron, a terrifying technological villain hell-bent on human extinction. Along the way, they confront two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Wanda Maximoff, played by Elizabeth Olsen, and Pietro Maximoff, played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and meet an old friend in a new form when Paul Bettany becomes Vision.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Oh my god, they even drew him like the cartoon.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Now do Spectacular Spider-Man

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Radius wrote: »
    Now do Spectacular Spider-Man

Think Marvel officially said he's not part of the event.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    So based on that Age of Ultron synopsis
    i wonder if " When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program," just refers to trying to fill the void SHIELD left, or if my wildest dream comes true and it turns out Ultron is an old project of Hank Pym's that got mothballed due to potentially going AWOL.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    ancapa2014002-106824.jpg
    Looks like the new Hydra has: Zemo, MODOK, Red Skull, Sin, Madame Viper, Crossbones, King Cobra, Batroc and someone I don't recognize.

Sam and Ian are gonna have a rough debut

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Modok left the secret avengers?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Modok left the secret avengers?
    Apparently he will sometime between now and December

or he won't since the new Hydra is taking cues from MCU Hydra and is a shadow organization as opposed to a horde of dudes in green jumpsuits

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The decompressed nature of comics storytelling combined with being spoiled on every single development 4 months in advance is kind of making me want to stop reading

Maybe I should just not read this thread anymore

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I think that might be a different MODOK, he has hair like old rocket butt MODOK, rather than being bald like Spider-MODOK.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    The decompressed nature of comics storytelling combined with being spoiled on every single development 4 months in advance is kind of making me want to stop reading

I mean, if it really bugs you that much you probably shouldn't

Superhero comics aren't a medium about giant twists and turns and 9 times out of 10 a shocking reveal is anything but

Plus, I mean, that's a cover of the comic. The make-up of who is in the new Hydra was never a big secret, if that's enough to bug you then yeah you shouldn't look at any comic related internet stuff

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I would miss you Chincy

I mean, we disagree on pretty much everything in terms of what comics we enjoy

but still!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    4101564-aqm_cv37.jpg
    Jeff Parker never met a comic he couldn't put a talking gorilla in

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Comics aren't a medium about giant twists and turns and 9 times out of 10 a shocking reveal is anything but

Plus, I mean, that's a cover of the comic. The make-up of who is in the new Hydra was never a big secret, if that's enough to bug you then yeah you shouldn't look at any comic related internet stuff

It doesn't have to be a shocking reveal for me to not want to hear about it 4 months in advance dude

When I know someone is going to die or switch teams it makes me far, far less interested in what they are currently doing in a story

I don't think thats so crazy

Comics aren't "about" crazy twists but it still makes a difference

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I can understand where Chincy is coming from.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

Comics aren't a medium about giant twists and turns and 9 times out of 10 a shocking reveal is anything but

It doesn't have to be a shocking reveal for me to not want to hear about it 4 months in advance dude

When I know someone is going to die or switch teams it makes me far, far less interested in what they are currently doing in a story

I don't think thats so crazy

Comics aren't "about" crazy twists but it still makes a difference

Well that's the nature of the beast, duder

Like I said, it is just what superhero comics are. Actual plot spoilers and twists can be hidden but they can't just keep things hidden until the day before release because they need people to get hyped and order the books because it is not a huge business.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I can understand where Chincy is coming from.
    I can too!

But I'm being honest with him, that's the cover of a comic. It's not a huge spoiler or a reveal of anything other than "hey these are the bad guys".

Yeah it is revealed 4 months before the comic comes out but if that's enough to really annoy him, he probably shouldn't be reading this thread or comics sites or anything because it is public knowledge and posted openly everywhere.

We just had Geebs lay down the law with previews being spoilered but covers being acceptable.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    It's not like comic covers and solicits spoil things any more than your average movie trailer.

• Options
    I am imagining Jeff Parker with a giant whiteboard full of ideas on how to smoothly put a talking gorilla into Aquaman to no avail

and then, inspiration

he picks up the phone and calls his editor, heart racing

"Is Gorilla City on a coastline???"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yeah, but Hollywood doesn't go, "Get Ready! Because in 6 months SPOILER WILL HAPPEN."

Its a really weird way to present your narrative medium.

• Options
    Yeah, but Hollywood doesn't go, "Get Ready! Because in 6 months SPOILER WILL HAPPEN."

Also when someone posts a trailer I don't have to click on it

My eyeballs take in the cover pretty much instantly

Be slower, eyeballs

• Options

Hollywood doesn't need to have all of their tickets pre-sold a month or two before the movie comes out

It is a shitty, shitty model that should change but until it does they have to hype them this way

plus, your analogy doesn't hold up because movie trailers and posters show who the villains are literally all the time

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about jeff parker or really comics in general but I endorse putting gorillas into as many works of fiction as possible

• Options

Hollywood doesn't need to have all of their tickets pre-sold a month or two before the movie comes out

It is a shitty, shitty model that should change but until it does they have to hype them this way

plus, your analogy doesn't hold up because movie trailers and posters show who the villains are literally all the time

There is a wide difference between revealing who the primary antagonist in your story will be and IN 6 MONTHS WOLVERINE DIES!!!

• Options
    This upcoming cover for AXIS has a couple little interesting things:
    AXIS2014009.jpg?1410814936

Looks like Hulking with a mohawk down in the bottom left. That's interesting. Maybe they're launching the Young Avengers book I'm expecting out of Axis?

And who could be the blacked out figure there on the left?

• Options
    This upcoming cover for AXIS has a couple little interesting things:
    AXIS2014009.jpg?1410814936

Looks like Hulking with a mohawk down in the bottom left. That's interesting. Maybe they're launching the Young Avengers book I'm expecting out of Axis?

And who could be the blacked out figure there on the left?
    Nah, that's Kluh.

Yes, Kluh.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean, if we want to accept that some of comics are taking a sort of Grind-House approach than sure.

I can rock that.

But I feel it is really shitty that when honest critique/criticism is brought against the comic medium the general response is, "Well maybe you should stop reading comics."

That is super reductive and feeds a community who would hope to overlook problems in their medium/industry.

• Options

There is a wide difference between revealing who the primary antagonist in your story will be and IN 6 MONTHS WOLVERINE DIES!!!
    Except we were talking about Chincy being annoyed by that Cap cover that literally just shows villains

like, I agree that Death of Wolverine is kind of dumb but also they have been saying from day one HEY THE DEATH ISN'T THE ACTUALLY IMPORTANT PART, THE JOURNEY THERE IS which I feel is pretty fair

Death of Spider-Man over in the Ultimate Universe was one of the best Spider-Man stories ever and it was in no way lessened by that title. I can understand why it would annoy some people, but in these cases Marvel has said the fact that a death occurs is the least important thing in the book.

and in Wolverine's case the entire X-Universe is affected by the fallout, as well as a few spin-off miniseries and again, they have to advertise those books with something other than COVER TO COME LATER AND ALSO THE PLOT IS CLASSIFIED because they need to get their orders in ahead of time. When they do go with the classified thing it is usually only for a month or so at most. And if they have a big important Wolverine 4-issues in a month miniseries where he fights all of his bad guys and then a ton of X-Men books with CLASSIFIED material you can kind of guess what happens anyways which makes the whole think pointless

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean, if we want to accept that some of comics are taking a sort of Grind-House approach than sure.

I can rock that.

But I feel it is really shitty that when honest critique/criticism is brought against the comic medium the general response is, "Well maybe you should stop reading comics."

That is super reductive and feeds a community who would hope to overlook problems in their medium/industry.
    No one said don't read comics?

I said Chincy shouldn't look at comic websites or read this thread, those are two totally different things.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.