Options

Wherefore Singularity Engine? Blame the [Star Wars] thread.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Headcanon: Darth Vader totally came up with the name, but nobody in the Empire took him seriously at all over it. Or really, very seriously in general. Leia overhears him saying it, gives the name to the Rebel command as a perfect bit of propaganda for this monstrosity of a space station, and word spreads quickly after the victory

By RotJ, Palpatine just starts saying it because everyone else has

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I was watching the clone wars the other day, and realised how fucking dark the life of the clone troopers were.

I mean they were bred for combat and were the "good" guys and then they didn't do anything and then suddenly they are the bad guys.

It's funny because the clone troopers are a very sci-fi element in a universe that is usually much more space fantasy.

Suddenly there's all these questions - ok, so are they going to form their own culture? Do they try to differentiate themselves? How do they feel about the war? And what's gonna be done with them once the war is over?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Langly wrote: »
    They beat them because it's a movie

They lost because it's a movie

The bad guys built a Death Star because it's a movie
    These are bad answers.
    edit- They are totally useless because they apply to every movie equally. It's up the movie to make sure things make sense for the audience. Usually this is done by showing the audience a reason why something would happen. It doesn't have to be a very likely reason, but that's where suspension of disbelief comes in. But "they beat them because it's a movie" is garbage.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    They beat them because they outnumbered the stormtroopers, used clever forest tricks and trap and had the help of the Rebels.

Their tactics were effective because 'it's a movie', but it was their tactics that beat the stormtroopers. The movie shows us the Ewoks beating the stormtroopers, we know how they did it.

What it doesn't show is that AT-AT, kid me was so interested in that AT-AT. How did it walk around in the forest? How did the Rebels beat it? The film never says. I guess they didn't have the budget.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Maybe the battle was over before they could mobilize the at-at

• Options
    I guess.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Wait there was an AT-AT in the forest battle? I thought they were all the smaller AT-ST's

Also the first AT in both stands for "all-terrain

The scouting transports are small enough to not be blocked by the trees, and I assume the armored ones would be large enough to just trample over them

• Options
    edited April 2015
    The at-at shows up when Luke surrenders to Vader. But it is parked at the base.

Uriel on
  • Options
    Also AT-ATs seem more like heavy siege weapons than geared at targetting personnel. They move slow, probably turn slower, and can only aim in front of them.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure it is on patrol in the shot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-HFv6Ms1lw

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Also AT-ATs seem more like heavy siege weapons than geared at targetting personnel. They move slow, probably turn slower, and can only aim in front of them.

Yeah they were on hoth to assault the shield generator protecting the Rebel fleet.

The at-sts there were clearing the Rebel trenches ahead of the at-ats

• Options
    The AT-AT being on patrol means that it is constantly exposing it's flank. Nevermind, it's just my assumption that it is on patrol, it could just be going to the AT-AT parking garage.

• Options
    I guess the shield generator on hoth was vulnerable only from the ground? Only really meant to protect the planet from a star destroyer?

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    All these years and I never realized that Luke was being transported in the AT-AT.

Edit: As in, the AT-AT isn't on patrol, it's bringing Luke to the base. The door he comes out of is the side of the vehicle.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I never picked up on that!

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    They called it the Death Star presumably because their current doctrine involved ruling through fear and calculated force.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    aka the Tarkin Doctrine

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    his and the emperor's shared boner for superweapons is pretty much the whole reason the death star exists

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it is on patrol in the shot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-HFv6Ms1lw

I assumed that the AT-AT in that shot was there to drop Luke off for his meeting with Vader (arriving on the shuttle).

It looks like the landing pad is some distance away from the actual shield facility though, so it's possible that they have the AT-ATs running patrols between the two (or more) facilities covering ground that's been cleared already. I'd guess they're there to dissuade the local mega-fauna ( like the goraxes) from getting too close to the facility while lighter vehicles run patrols further from the base.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    They called it the Death Star because "Planet Blowy Uppy Gun" didn't do well in focus tests.

Ironically, the Alderaanians were the ones responsible for carrying out the focus test.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I guess the shield generator on hoth was vulnerable only from the ground? Only really meant to protect the planet from a star destroyer?

Yeah, it was designed to repel orbital bombardment
    I would guess it was just a ray shield, which meant physical objects could pass through, meaning you'd have to land a force to get up close and take it out

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I would guess it was just a ray shield, which meant physical objects could pass through, meaning you'd have to land a force to get up close and take it out

Couldn't they have just used torpedos?

• Options
    Man, I don't know
    Maybe torpedoes don't have the range?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Couldn't they have just used torpedos?

it stopped projectiles traveling at high velocities

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The Star Wars universe is a place where turbo lasers, intelligent robots and faster than light travel have been around for centuries. They long ago forgot everything about projectile weaponry, much less the guided variety.

• Options
    his and the emperor's shared boner for superweapons is pretty much the whole reason the death star exists

Play TOR

The Empire's love of superweapons literally goes back tens of thousands of years

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    The Star Wars universe is a place where turbo lasers, intelligent robots and faster than light travel have been around for centuries. They long ago forgot everything about projectile weaponry, much less the guided variety.

Well not necessarily

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slugthrower

Certainly on a vehicular scale though

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Slugthrowers are around in Star Wars, but they're so much less effective and more difficult to maintain than blasters that only people who choose to use them or have no other options will take them.

• Options
    I can't imagine a regular old pistol is harder to maintain than a portable laser cannon

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    So are there any EU books worth reading (besides Thrawn stuff)? I'm looking for a new book to read and I'm in a Star Wars state of mind

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The Darth Bane Trilogy is good. Shatterpoint is Heart of Darkness WITH JEDIS. The Revenge of the Sith adaptation is incredible.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Holy shit the Czerka Corporation survived to the New Republic Era what the fuck

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    So are there any EU books worth reading (besides Thrawn stuff)? I'm looking for a new book to read and I'm in a Star Wars state of mind
    The X-Wing series are fiction junk food which I enjoyed.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I can't imagine a regular old pistol is harder to maintain than a portable laser cannon

I am reminded of a bit in Blood Meridian where a madman makes gunpowder in the middle of a desert with a volcano and some charcoal and some piss

What I'm saying is that you can't piss together a laser blaster

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

Anything by Matt Stover. Gets a bit meta, but the man can turn a phrase like no one else who's written SW.

Anything by Aaron Allston. Probably the most consistently funny author in SW, yet capable of great pathos.

Pretty much anything by Tim Zahn (not all of which is Thrawn stuff). Tends to lean towards the SF side of SW, and thus make the universe seem a bit more real.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

Anything by Matt Stover.

Anything by Aaron Allston.

Pretty much anything by Tim Zahn (not all of which is Thrawn stuff).

Also, everything ever written or co-written by KJA. You want to read all that good stuff. Not just his Star Wars, but the work he's done in Dune too.
    That's a lie. You don't want to read that stuff. What you want to do is track down a copy of The Crystal Star. That's the gold nugget of Star Wars EU.
    That's a damned dirty lie too

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I do like the justification of slugthrowers having some advantages, though, like the fact that Jedi can't deflect them and that all blaster rounds are highly visible

I guess the only one that shows up in the films is the dart gun Jango uses, which kicks off the Obi Noir bit that's the best thing about Attack of the Clones

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I do like the justification of slugthrowers having some advantages, though, like the fact that Jedi can't deflect them and that all blaster rounds are highly visible

That leads to some nice trains of thought when it comes to what Jedi can and can't deflect with the Force or block with a lightsaber. That's one of the reasons why I like the Jedi Hunter video a lot.

• Options

How do you feel about bounty hunters in general and Boba Fett in particular
    Because the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy is really good and while sold as a Fett story actually gives the other hunters nearly as much time on the page

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

Less moving parts.

b1ehrMM.gif
This discussion has been closed.