As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wherefore Singularity Engine? Blame the [Star Wars] thread.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Man, I hope whatever Bioware's saving for Monday when it comes to Ziost isn't just a five-minute ending cutscene or worse, one that you need to go through an Operation for.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    If there's not at least as much content released Monday as there was on Tuesday...I dunno, I might let my sub lapse for another few months, 12x XP or not.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hold on
    Am I reading this right
    TWELVE times XP starting Monday

• Options
    Yep. It's meant to let subscribers level via the class-story missions only and they plan to release an item for those that'd rather skip it that'll cancel the boost.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hopefully they're actually increasing the cash rewards as well

Sometimes on their bonus weeks they'd only increase the xp, which meant that pretty soon I was leveling so fast I couldn't even afford to train all of my new skills, to say nothing of keeping my gear leveled.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Well skill-training's free now, so that's one less thing to worry about.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I might jump back in. I've been playing Neverwinter lately and enjoying it.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Kana wrote: »
    Hopefully they're actually increasing the cash rewards as well

Sometimes on their bonus weeks they'd only increase the xp, which meant that pretty soon I was leveling so fast I couldn't even afford to train all of my new skills, to say nothing of keeping my gear leveled.

Yeah, they're increasing XP by 12x, and they're also increasing the commendation rewards for story quests so you won't fall behind the gear curve.

http://www.swtor.com/may-the-fourth?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-hp-183

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If I've never MMO'd before and am vaguely curious on how KotOR finished up and I want to give this a go.

1) Do I need to play with people?
    2) Are people still playing from PA, where do they hide?
    3) Can I play with a gamepad?
    4) How much time do I need to sink into this to get the story out?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Blake T wrote: »
    If I've never MMO'd before and am vaguely curious on how KotOR finished up and I want to give this a go.

1) Do I need to play with people?
    2) Are people still playing from PA, where do they hide?
    3) Can I play with a gamepad?
    4) How much time do I need to sink into this to get the story out?

1) Nope. Grouping up is pretty easy, though, and you'll be able to view each other's story content (which can be fun).
    2) I'm not in the PA guild, but you can find them in the MMO subforum of G&T.
    3) I don't believe there's native gamepad support, so you'd have to do some tricky stuff with xpadder or whatever your preferred gamepad-to-keyboard mapper of choice is. SWTOR suffers from ability bloat, though, so you might find it difficult to fit all your abilities on a single gamepad.
    4) I've never mainlined the story, so my times are pretty inflated (due to all the sidequests). I'd guess it'd be around 10 hours or so? Roughly equivalent to doing a story-quest-only run of a single-player Bioware RPG.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That's just time for one story line though. How many class stories are there?

I only finished smuggler and it was awwwwwesome. :)

• Options
    And for anyone who wants to dip their feet into SWTOR, here's my impressions of the stories for the classes I've played so far.

Jedi Knight = The most Star-Wars-ass Star Wars story. Battle Sith and destroy planet-killing super-weapons.
    Jedi Consular = Starts out pretty interesting. Someone's killing Jedi Masters by using the Force like a slow-acting poison, and you have to stop them. However, it quickly descends into fairly boring fetch-quests. Also, not nearly as much diplomacy as you'd expect from a class that's literally called a consular. Fun to play, though.
    Sith Warrior = Your master wants to get into the dark council, and you're going to help him by living out everyone's dark side power fantasy. Lots of adventure, murder, betrayal, and satisfying revenge in this one. My second-favorite storyline so far.
    Sith Inquistor = I haven't gotten too far into this, but I'm enjoying it so far. The tutorial has you proving yourself to a master who clearly prefers a different student (by, you know, murdering both him and the student). Then you get a new master who seems to like you but is also clearly up to something; oh, and you soon discover (by talking to the ghost of your dead ancestor) that you have an important destiny to play. Seems on par with Jedi Knight so far.
    Imperial Agent = Star Wars meets Mission Impossible, basically. You're the one who gets important shit done behind the scenes, in a dangerous environment where everyone is hiding something from you. Easily the best writing of all the storyline's I've played, and it has a pretty fantastic ending.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah see, my main "gaming" computer is an HTPC and mouse and keyboarding it is just mega mega awkward.

I have a logtech wireless keyboard but it's range is already pretty limited, and wouldn't be gaming reliable.

• Options
    Here's some info on the races and classes if you can get around your input-problems, Blake. It's from the OP of the SWTOR thread we have/had here in SE that added in info I provided later in the thread.
    Races:

6Hc7F47.jpg

F2P and Preferred are limited to three races; Humans, Cyborgs (humans with metal parts on their face) and Zabrak which come in Darth Maul red if you're playing on the Empire side and regular skin-tone if you're playing on the Republic side. If you want to unlock more races to use right there in the Character Creator or later in-game with the cash shop, it'll cost 600 Cartel Coins (six bucks real-cash). These races are (in locked order on the screen above) Mirialans (green-skinned race that's normally Republic-only), Twi'leks (aliens with head-tails, one of which you may have seen dancing in the third movie for Jabba), Miralukas (aliens with blindfolds on due to having no eyes, also normally Republic-only), Chiss (blue-skinned, red-eyed aliens that got popular due to a Star Wars novel-character named Thrawn, normally Empire-only), Rattatakis (grey/white-skinned and always bald aliens, normally Empire-only) and Sith-Pureblood (red aliens tied to the Sith origins, normally Empire-only). A race not seen there and added with the 2.1 patch for 600 CC (even to subscribers) are the Cathar AKA cat-people.

Classes:

Each side has four classes, with each set of classes basically identical to each other though the non-Force classes have a few differences in gear and resource management to set them apart. If you want a quick look at what they are, take a look (and ignore the charts on the right as this was made in 2011 apparently).

uexB5P9.jpg

The pair of classes in orange are the Advanced Classes for each main class, which you pick at Lv10. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, they help focus your role as well as grant you extra abilities tied into that AC. As you can see, the Trooper/Hunter and Consular/Inquisitor are the two classes in which their AC options offer both the opportunity to be a tank or a healer depending on which you choose.

Each class comes with it's own story, with your main missions consisting of continuing this story on different planets while you also handle side-jobs and any general storyline connected to the planet accessible to all classes. I'm not going to spoil them but I will divulge the opening hook for each class' story which tends to change once you leave your starter planet

Jedi Knight: Come to the Academy to learn how to beat people with a glowrod, stay to find out who's riling up the local population of starter mooks.
    Jedi Consular: Learn the history of the Academy's planet and earn points with a lizard god without trying.
    Trooper: Help the best squad of Republic soldiers as their newest recruit before all your base are belong to the local resistance.
    Smuggler: Land on a war-torn planet, deliver guns and le-...wait, why is my ship flying off without me?

Sith Warrior: You are Draco Malfoy, trying to prove you're better then Harry Potter in the eyes of the Sith.
    Sith Inquisitor: You are Harry Potter, trying to prove you're better then Draco Malfoy in the eyes of the Sith.
    Bounty Hunter: Earn a spot in the biggest bounty-hunting contest in the galaxy at the swamps of the Hutts before the banjos begin to play.
    Imperial Agent: Fool The Living Daylights out of a Hutt as a rookie Empire spy with a License To Kill. Goldfinger.

If what I described isn't enough to help you decide which class you want to try out, check out these videos below which were made by Bioware to show off the classes and their ACs.

Character Class Introductions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zKupzPFgmQ

Republic Class Progression:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuChozXLGaQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA_9BiyOB1A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4z5qKcBmy0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up9crByjT8Y

Imperial Class Progression:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L1wTWDjMRM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZ_ziPgeF4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKwB2tg0lc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRmJh2Qw0HU

Choose your side! - Class Match-Ups (may contain class-story spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4cLHU3Yd0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMRZRsceUc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqn4VAUps7k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqc7dHKda30

• Options
    Chiss Agent 4eva

• Options
    I showed my friend all of the Auralnauts Star Wars stuff last night and now we're out bar hopping and I just keep suggesting that we could make last call at Applebee's

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    sith inquisitor is very "go to planet, get macguffin"

there's an entertaining twist with one of your companions but much like the consular there isn't enough politics

you're too much Boring Darth Maul/Indiana Jones instead of Exciting Darth Maul/Indiana Jones

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I showed my friend all of the Auralnauts Star Wars stuff last night and now we're out bar hopping and I just keep suggesting that we could make last call at Applebee's

YOLO bitches

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    inquisitor rules, especially if you like Pac-man

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

YOLO bitches

We outran the space cops, and made em eat baaasssss.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I second Chiss Agent. In a galaxy full of laser sword swinging psychics, a boring spy gets the best storyline.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Jedi Knight has the worst story.
    You actually have to actively prevent the destruction of Tatooine. Just. What? Fuck this sandy shitbox. Oh no the Sith want to blow it up? GOOD. FUCKING DO IT.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Yeah.

About that.
    The Rakata already did that. Like a billion years ago.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Alright.

I've installed it.

I'm running around, without a lightsabre.

Why don't I have one.

If you want to friend me my user name is BlakeAMT and my jedi knight is called funsticks.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I do kinda feel like firing up SWTOR again and playing some more of my Bounty Hunter. She was a fucking rad as badass

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Alright.

I've installed it.

I'm running around, without a lightsabre.

Why don't I have one.

If you want to friend me my user name is BlakeAMT and my jedi knight is called funsticks.

"funsticks".

I like that.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I forgot the single most frustrating part of an MMO

coming back after 2 years and not knowing where to go or how to play

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

This is my first mmo ever.

I struggling why left click isn't attack.

Why isn't left click attack guys?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Maybe the developers all wore out their mouseseses playing Diablo 2?

• Options

Well it can be if you really want

Might do more harm than good though

• Options

Well it can be if you really want

Might do more harm than good though

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've really enjoyed the Bounty Hunter storyline, I'd love to finish it if I could ever convince myself to pay the subscription fee again.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hmm, enough XP boost so that I don't have to grind out planet quests for every character?

Yeah, okay, that sounds like the thing to get me to sub and play again. So I can actually experience the damn story!

I'll do that later this month.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I've really enjoyed the Bounty Hunter storyline, I'd love to finish it if I could ever convince myself to pay the subscription fee again.

Its not free?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    You can play it for free, but I'd really rather not. When I did tried it was super frustrating, and even if it's better now than it was I'd prefer to play with all the options on.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Yeah, I just redownloaded and have preferred status. Its a bit lame.

• Options
    Best way to deal with F2P is buy a two-month subscription card. You should be able to get at least one character up to max-level by that time and with the payoffs of max-level dalies and junk-vending, you should be able to buy all the (Account)-type unlocks off the Auction House to use when the subscription lapses. That's what I did.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I just started playing KOTOR2 for the first time and I recall somebody mentioning something about a patch to make the game make more sense or something? What is this patch and is it all right to install after I've already been playing for some hours?

• Options
    It's a fan patch that puts back in some of the ending stuff that was cut
    I don't know the details though

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    It's a fan patch that puts back in some of the ending stuff that was cut
    I don't know the details though

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm/downloads

WAAAAAAAAAY more than ending stuff gets put back in, it basically restores the fucking mountain of content that was cut for the game to make its ship date

if you want an idea of what you'd be missing without just, you know, playing it, you can read the fantastic LP: http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

I don't think you're going to be screwed if you've started the game already but who knows

This discussion has been closed.