As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DZC] Dropzone Commander 1.1 - Dropfleet Commander is Out!

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    In all honesty, the Ferrum wasn't a game breaker. His fast movers just picked off all my transports at angles my AA couldn't cover and his Kodiak took apart my tanks with some very lucky hits. And my dice absolutely fucked me on objectives and demo stuff.

The PHR guy I played against got the drop on me with his dropships and fast-mover and neutered my AA with shaped charge rolls and volume of fire. It was a table quarters scenario and I held my own rather well on kill points and holding territory, but he just murdered more of my guys than I did his. His Sirens demolished my infantry and I couldn't get enough stuff backfield to dislodge his.

The second game of that tournament was against Resistance, and he clearly didn't know what he was doing because I just wiped the floor with him.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    What faction were you playing if I may ask?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Scourge!

• Options
    I know with my Ferrums and FMs, minders at strategic points screwed my attack runs. Especially if there were some of their walkers in a supporting position. Looks like the highest ranked Scourge player at the last invasion brought 6 Reapers and 4 Minders.

PHR is really strong right now, the Medusa and Valkyries gave them a huge boost.

Double Ferrum is an odd duck really. It never really made a splash in tournaments until one of the Orbital Bombardment guys stomped the Winter Invasion with it, and then people started playing it again. I guess people got too complacent with their AA.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So my friend picked up the starter set for this and I gave it a go.

I was... kinda underwhelmed? It felt very alpha strikey and so much of it seemed down to who rolled the dice lucky enough. The lack of reaction fire outside of air (and even then only being able to do it once per turn and it losing your activation?) felt really weird to me in a platoon level game.

Just kinda curious if it gets better from there at all. The game's obviously popular so I'm wondering what I was missing.

I was playing the EDFUCM for reference.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So my friend picked up the starter set for this and I gave it a go.

I was... kinda underwhelmed? It felt very alpha strikey and so much of it seemed down to who rolled the dice lucky enough. The lack of reaction fire outside of air (and even then only being able to do it once per turn and it losing your activation?) felt really weird to me in a platoon level game.

Just kinda curious if it gets better from there at all. The game's obviously popular so I'm wondering what I was missing.

I was playing the EDFUCM for reference.

Honestly, the starter sets arnt a great representation the the game, there arnt enough units to give any tactics aside from like you said, alpha striking. The game gets much better at higher levels, especially once you add the cards into the mix.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, which seems a shame because he mostly picked it up to give us a wargame that can be played with more than 2 players easily. I can't see him having the desire to bring it up to higher point levels with multiple armies and I'm definitely not enthused enough to really buy in.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    It's not that you lose your activation with AA units that reaction fire, its just that they can't fire the same weapon again during their activation. For example, the Rapier has a heavy machinegun which can still be used to fire at infantry even if you reaction fired with the AA gun during your opponent's last activation. You can also move the Rapiers in case you need to move closer to a focal point or move out of the line of fire.

Also at higher points levels, the fact that they can't reaction fire multiple times actually becomes important, as it forces you to make choices in list design (you can't just rely on a squad of Rapiers to protect you against all of the gunships in the other guy's army).

The starter armies can indeed suffer from alpha strikes, but generally it's just set up so that you learn the basic rules (ie battlegroup activations, infantry, shooting, transports, etc). As an amusing sidenote, I've won starter games without either side losing a single model, and lost stompfests because I couldn't kill the one dropship that was carrying infantry with the only objective anybody found.

Generally it'll start to feel different at 1000 pts, when you have to add more battlegroups. You'll also have the option to add commanders, command cards, and have Fast Movers and many other units open up for you.

Also, if you haven't already, try out the other missions in the book. Some of them are less prone to random rolls for objectives and allow for more tactical thinking.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The printed items were received and they are now beginning to pack and ship the DFC kickstarter stuff.

Nobody on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    So resurrecting htis thread to go WOOOOOO SPACESHIPS!

My Dropfleet pledge has finally arrived and I succumbed to the lure of space ships and bought some retail stuff as well. So far I've found the game to be super fun with plenty of tactical depth so far, despite only playing with the starter sets. has anyone else been getting on the Dropfleet wagon?

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    I haven't heard a peep on my Commodore, and neither has anybody else in my area :(

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I received my Commodore on Friday.

It's a lot of plastic.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I haven't heard a peep on my Commodore, and neither has anybody else in my area :(
    Sorry to hear that. But based on their last update its down to the last few. Soon!
    I received my Commodore on Friday.

It's a lot of plastic.

Yeah it is so much. Also the mispacked mine and gave me 2 extra starters. So score?

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Mine shipped last week and should have arrived Friday, but like their update today mentioned "shit has gone a bit sideways" - it didn't include broker information so it got stuck with UPS waiting for customs clearance stuff, and it was sent to my old address despite contacting them a few months ago and getting my new one into their list. Merrily, a call to UPS this morning sorted both those things out and as long as they process it properly, I'll have it tomorrow. I'm terrified of how much plastic I'm going to be getting (I was another commodore).

• Options
    My commodore order is still on hold with no response from Hawk as to what the delay is. Between this and Creature Caster, which is just now sending my model out after 4? years, I think I'm done with KickStarter stuff.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    I felt a little bad picking up a scourge starter from ebay, and then getting it delivered, while day one backers were still waiting for a mention that their stuff had shipped.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I mean, people can complain about the delays, but in the end 6 months is pretty good, and if you backed anything more than "just a starter" you got ludicrous discounts over what it will cost at retail (since commodore basically gave you double the product for the same cost, plus all the extra stuff, and even the ... lieutenant? gave you a nice chunk of bonuses). If you just wanted the 2-player set than I can understand the disappointment more, but even still, it's not bad as far as minis kickstarter projects go.
    THAT SAID, yeah, it is a fool's errand to back minis kickstarters and expect a hitchless experience. I remember when Myth was on track to be delivered 3 months early before ALL THE SHIT EVER hit the fan and it was ultimately delivered a year late. <_<

(Full disclosure - I don't care at all about getting it before it hits the streets. Zero issue waiting a bit for whatever I ordered.)

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I got one of my lieutenant pledges around a month and a half ago. Of cause the one with Shaltari. Also have a UCM lieutenant and Commodore with two PHR starters comming, with shipping noticed on the Commodore arrived last thursday. It should have been here today, but is still sitting in Hawks warehouse.

Have created a small PHR battlegroup of a Ganymede two Medusas and two Andromedas. Absolutely loving the models. Have even kitbashed a PHR corvette and a couple of UCM ones.

I have just moved and it seems like that right on my doorstep there is a DZC community that are shifting to DFC for the time being. So score :)

I was planning on playing PHR with UCM as backup. But the rules for the PHR ships seems a bit lackluster so I might just go with UCM until PHR get a performance boost. Or not. I still love the PHR ships so I will try them out before going over to the flesh bags.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    My box just arrived. Commodore with nothing extra. This box is unreasonably full of plastic. I was not prepared for this. O_-

• Options
    So I played my first real game at 999 last night and oh myyyyy. I had enjoyed the starter mucking around but I'm pretty happy with how the game has held up when fully unleashed. Army composition is important because of the way approaches and activations work and you really want a mix of tonnages in battle groups. There's always a risk/sacrifice to activating something at the expense of something else so you are always weighing up whats most vital.
    having the larger number of ships, even in a models 999 really makes the game feel more epic and it means you don't have to worry about 1 set of bad rolls swinging the game too far.

I've also learnt that space hedgehogs are real jerks. They shoot you for long range and you can't shoot them back, then once you get close, they raise shields and become super durable! The ability to save against crits is just rude. There were a couple of times my squadron of New Cairos lined up some good shooting from their Burnthroughs and the shields just neutered the 5 or 6 crits they did. Loving my UCM. Solid, dependable not very exciting but boy howdy let me tell you about how much I love light cruisers with burnthrough lasers.

• Options
    What did you pledge for, Asher? Just wondering how close a commodore gets me to a 1k game.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Commodore. I also bought a an extra starter though. Commodore gets you 4 Cruisers and a Battlecruiser (Or two if you pledged for both UCM ones) and something like 12 frigates? Assuming you build a starter and a San Francisco (Which seems like a pretty sensible choice for getting boots on the ground) you can end up with something like this:

TEST - 999pts
    UCM - 6 launch assets

SR20 Vanguard battlegroup (368pts)
    1 x Atlantis - 205pts - H
    1 x Moscow - 163pts - H

SR7 Line battlegroup (169pts)
    1 x Berlin - 105pts - M
    2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (243pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (219pts)
    2 x Toulon - 70pts - L
    3 x Taipei - 117pts - L
    1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L

The strategy ratings are pretty dumb? But you can get to 1k with the Commodore pledge starter and freebies alone. Is is a good list? I have no idea, but it's not terrible. The fat Vanguard is the only part I'm not sure of, but it's the only way to fit 2 heavies in. Alternatively build the Moscow as something else and add another Frigate. Take 4 Taipeis and blot out the sun with missiles. Also probably put the Jakarta in with the fat group.

If you got an Avalon instead and don't follow the completely, this seems like a neat option?

TEST - 997pts
    UCM - 6 launch assets

SR16 Vanguard battlegroup (332pts)
    1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L
    1 x Avalon - 195pts - H
    1 x Berlin - 105pts - M

SR10 Line battlegroup (243pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M

SR7 Line battlegroup (196pts)
    2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (226pts)
    2 x Toulon - 70pts - L
    4 x Taipei - 156pts - L
    dflist.com

Basically you can do 999 pretty confortably, but you are taking a significant number of frigates.

Asher on
  • Options
    I actually got the Avalon and Atlantis, so I have a LITTLE wiggle room. Kinda sad that Scourge is all I have that could be matched against it right now just from an "experiencing the different things" perspective. I know, proxy, etc, etc, but it's not quite the same and you know it. ;)

• Options
    Yeah. Scourge are a pretty interesting match up. I've played PHR the most and they are pretty damn tanky while the Scourge a glass cannons that want to get to close action range as quickly as possible. Their plasma storms are horrifying.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting for my stuff to arrive, I hope it gets here fairly soon, I'm really looking forward to putting it all together. Will probably start on the UCM stuff first since I imagine the paint scheme (whatever I decide to go with) will be easier for them than for the Scourge or other stuff.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I hope so too! The game is continuing to be pretty damn fun. I've only played 1 more 999 point game, but it was a nail biter. We're still figuring out the best of actually winning missions, but this game was very much a lose the battle, but win the war example. I ended up winning 20-12, but I only had a single New Orleans left, hiding in the atmosphere away from nasty Shenlong and Hydra lurking above it.

It started out pretty evenly, the scourge killing one of my Toulons early and crippling one of my Seattles, though I destroyed an Ifrit in return. What utterly devastated me was the Strix. Those things are nasty! 2d6+4 Close action shots that have a 3+ lock each is utterly brutal in groups of two. They were SR 10, the only things I had that could have stopped them were my New Cairos also at SR 10, so naturally I rolled a '1' in the roll off, and the Strix dived into the heart of my formation and obliterated the Atlantis in a single horrifying volley of plasma missiles. Welp.

But that's not the worst of it. The New Cairos couldn't actually target the Strix effectively so they went after a Hydra and cut it up a bunch with their burnthroughs, and did a little bit of damage to one of the strix with their Barracuda missiles. The next activation was my Atlantis Battlegroup, now sans Atlantis. The Seattle and even the little Lima hammered the dmaged Strix with a vengeance, the Kill-shot comign from the Lima which put it's single mass driver round through the Strix's reactor, tearing it apart as it was crippled.

BOOM!

A flurry of 6s on catastrophic damage and horrific saves killed of my Seattle, which then exploded into a distortion bubble, which then set of a chain reaction. At the end of the explosions, both Strix, both my Seattles, my Lima and one of my New Cairos were dead. Distortion bubbles followed by 6 points of unsavable damage on ships that are already damaged will just kill stuff.

Moral of the story: Don't park ships too close together.

My remaining elements somehow managed to hold off the Scourge to secure a Pyrrhic victory after some hard fighting on the ground. One infantry division is due a commendation after they used the orbital gun that they seized to shoot down a Scourge Troop Carrier and a Strike carrier, thus preventing the Scourge from landing any more troops.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    So I double-checked what was in my box VS what was in the pledge, and you can feel free to hate me now. I totally received free a 2nd UCM and Scourge starter for no reason. I finished building my UCM starter set, and indeed, I have 5 packed starter packs remaining. So ... Yeah, I have some options for building some more ships.
    I don't suppose anyone is interested in trading me a different starter for the Scourge one? I'd be interested in maybe building some more ships if someone was interesting in fleshing out their Scourge options.

Also, 1mm x 1mm magnets continue to be the best resource ever for Hawk games. All my turrets are magnetized and it's so glorious. <3
    zihjehqk9o5u.jpg

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    I've been happily putting together ships, but I can't figure out transport yet (the bizarre shapes on some ships, looking at you UCM) make it difficult.

Already pretty much have the 1500 pt list I want to use picked out, I'll need 3 corvettes, a battleship, and a starter, maybe another cruiser or two.

• Options
    I actually grabbed on of the new GW cases, the cinkle foam ones and they are PERFECT for Dropfleet, or at least for UCM, I feel like the PHR Battlecrusier might bend a bit.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Hrm, do you think it'll handle all 4 starters? Need a case for lugging around for demos

Nobody on
  • Options
    The smallest one maybe not? The mid size, totally. You can probably fit 4 1k fleets in that. I've got 3 fleets and all the bases in my midsize one and still have room for expansion. I've still got space for battleships and corvettes.

• Options
    Asher wrote: »
    The smallest one maybe not? The mid size, totally. You can probably fit 4 1k fleets in that. I've got 3 fleets and all the bases in my midsize one and still have room for expansion. I've still got space for battleships and corvettes.

Pictures, man! Pictures!

• Options
    Asher wrote: »

Is that the "Battle" sized one?

• Options
    Your command is my wish!
    20161219_161255.jpg
    One Midsized GW case containing four (4) foam trays.

20161219_161307.jpg
    Top tray contains the PHR. As you can see one layer easily allows for 1 Battle cruiser, 5 cruisers and 8 frigates. There's room for more as well!

20161219_161319.jpg
    The Shaltari layer holds a battlecruiser, 4 cruisers, 8 frigates, 3 voidgates and a civilian liner. Could easily fit another 2 cruisers and another couple of void gates.

20161219_161331.jpg
    UCM town. hard to see because of black primer, but that's a battle cruiser, 7 cruisers and at least 12 frigates. Now the frigates are pretty piled on eachother but I could probably fit another starter set worth of models in there.

The only issue I've had is that the resin fins of the PHR battlecruiser have bent, but that's more to do with the fact that we're in the Australian summer and I leave my case in the car than anything to do with the case itself.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I feel bad for anyone who wants to primarily play PHR. This cruiser so far is a frigging pain in the ass. The fins just aren't well designed to actually attach to the body. Considering how smart some of the UCM design decisions are, I'm shocked at the PHR ones not being similar. Why have a 2-halves body instead of building a core and attaching a single-piece hood like the UCM ships? So many PHR players are going to have wonderfully large gaps in the top of their ships ... Fins will fall off all the time unless you go the extra mile in pinning them (something that really shouldn't be mandatory for something like this).
    I really like the way you customize the sides by just putting on the appropriate batteries, and that you can even angle some of them as you like, but that's such a minor part of the process it doesn't make up for the gripes. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Huh, I didn't have that many issues with the fins on mine.

Now, the really bizarre decision to attach the smooth part of the hull to the sprue where it's at a slight angle on the other hand...

• Options
    I've had zero issues with phr aside from, as Nobody mentioned, the stupidly placed gate. That's lead to a lot of scraping and smoothing down. The fins have been completely fine for me. I've had no issues with the fins. In fact I found that the fit so snuggly they're not in any danger of falling off at all.

• Options
    We'll see if/when I build another one, I suppose. But mine weren't anywhere close to "snug". The big ones, yes, sure, but all 4 of the smaller ones were a pain. I wound up pinning 3 of them. I agreed that the dome was dumb in my original post, but I've also gotten pretty good at sanding with Gunpla stuff recently, so that actually bothered me a lot less. :P

• Options
    That's a bit strange. Some of mine were so snug I could basically stick then in without glue and have them hold there. Variance between casts must be a bit high.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Woo, I got my Dropfleet Commander stuff! It looks like it's about as easy to put together as I hoped.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln